PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars SWSE: how many Vultures can we cram into a Salon?

Vizzerdrix
2019-03-27, 07:40 AM
Okay. My current group has a bit of an issue. We have just gained 4 vulture droid ships, and we want to carry them in our Consular class cruiser. Or GM wants to throw some dog fights at us and seeing as only two out of six of us are pilots, this was what we came up with.

Our cargo hold is full of what we will call refugees ( TOTALLY not slaves! No sir, not us! :smallwink: ), but the salon pod (bulbous part under the front of the ship) sees little use.

The GM is willing to work with us a tiny bit, but he wants some basis of mechanics. He will be lenient if we can get something close to working within the rules.

Now, so far I have tried using the starships of the galaxy book, but that will only get me room for two fighters. Is their some way, seeing as they are droids, to rack them in tighter? Or maybe something from another book? At this point I'm willing to try convincing him with deck plans and blueprints.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

LibraryOgre
2019-03-27, 08:19 AM
Why not put your... prisoners with jobs... in the Salon pod, and store your vultures in the cargo bay?

Incorrect
2019-03-27, 08:21 AM
If you have the rough size difference, could you make simple paper models and fold them up to show how the Vultures will be stowed away?

lightningcat
2019-03-27, 10:31 AM
Something similar actually happened in my group years ago. Because of how the vultures are designed, we ruled that in their storage mode they count as being one size smaller, but it takes time to unfold. We also allowed tight racking for starfighters, which allowed additonal starfighters to be stored, but required longer to land/deploy and required a DC 20 pilot check (may take 10), this also locked most of them so they had to take off in a specific order.

Vizzerdrix
2019-03-27, 01:06 PM
Why not put your... prisoners with jobs... in the Salon pod, and store your vultures in the cargo bay?

We tried. They would have to deploy from the underside (blocking them while landed) and we have too many... passengers. Also we wouldn't want them to somehow trigger a launch of the pod.

Something similar actually happened in my group years ago. Because of how the vultures are designed, we ruled that in their storage mode they count as being one size smaller, but it takes time to unfold. We also allowed tight racking for starfighters, which allowed additonal starfighters to be stored, but required longer to land/deploy and required a DC 20 pilot check (may take 10), this also locked most of them so they had to take off in a specific order.

Yea I could have sworn I'd seen a picture of them in some sort of rack, or a mention of it, but I can't find it for the life of me.

Sparx MacGyver
2019-03-27, 08:25 PM
Why not use hardpoints? Rebels showed TIE's attached to a cruiser and could be accessed via a tube. And that apparently, TIE's now have life support...

But, Ships of the Galaxy gives rules for hardpoints. If you're GM is willing, you could go that route, and just rule it as only being able to hold the fighters.

lightningcat
2019-03-27, 09:35 PM
Yea I could have sworn I'd seen a picture of them in some sort of rack, or a mention of it, but I can't find it for the life of me.

I too have seen a picture like that. But don't remeber where either. But my idea came from the EU book Wriath Squadron, where they crammed a short squad of x-wings into a corvette hold. It also had TIE fighters as hardpoints - replacing escape pods.

In the cross section pictures of the Trade Federation Battleship there is a note about the Vulture droids "locked into roof power grids." Simialr information is mentioned on their cross section page. So there is a possibility, that the image is from the Phantom Menace.

MeeposFire
2019-03-28, 12:00 AM
The carrack cruiser had external fighter racks for I think 5 fighters in the expanded universe lore if you were looking for an example. It was a high quality ship and was tough, had great fire power, and very fast for a capital ship (supposedly as fast as an x wing as I recall in the lore). Its weaknesses were a single weak spot that could be used to disable the ship due to poor armor placement there (you would think somebody would fix that eventually but I guess not) and more importantly due to the space requirements for its systems (especailly its compartment system that saves lives in case of extrememdamage) it could only carry 5 fighters which is very poor so it needs some fighter support.

Considering its weaknesses it would be better served in a rebel fleet where they could have fighter support that did not need to be directly carried and that had more capability but it is more commonly found with Imperial fleets I believe which means it does not get very many fighters and those fighters are rather poor which is a bad combo.

Vizzerdrix
2019-04-01, 06:19 AM
Thanks for the help everyone.

Good news is I managed to use a grid map I found showing the inside dimensions, along with some charts listing the size of vultures. GM even allowed a service walkway.

Bad news. Group wants to change games. :smallsigh:Everyone wants to do superheores for the upcoming Avengers film. No clue what system. I may need to make a topic on it when I know.

Again, thanks for the help everyone.