PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Self question

Human Paragon 3
2007-09-30, 07:12 PM
So, the Perfect Self class feature turns you into a native outsider. That affords a few boons listed in the class feature description, but it doesn't seem that great. I assume there is something I'm not getting about it, like it gives you immunities to certain spells or abilities? Well, which ones? Thanks.

The_Snark
2007-09-30, 07:19 PM
You aren't really missing all that much... It gives damage reduction that's all but useless at that level. It also grants immunity to some lower-level spells, like Charm Person, Dominate Person, or Hold Person.

That's it. As a capstone ability, it's not very impressive at all.

Ralfarius
2007-09-30, 07:22 PM
Yeah, it's trying to give some "monk reaching nirvana/enlightenment" sort of flavour, but all it does it make you look somewhat foolish for taking 20 levels of monk.

Jack Mann
2007-09-30, 07:23 PM
It also gives you proficiency with all simple and martial weapons, for all the good it does you at that point.

Shas aia Toriia
2007-09-30, 07:25 PM
So far as I know, it just gives you immunity to charm, dominate, hold, etc. person.

Human Paragon 3
2007-09-30, 07:27 PM
Wow, lame. I was actually looking at Examplar, but the fact remains. Good thing we're probably not playing all the way up to level 20 (even though another dose of Skill Artistry would be nice).

TSGames
2007-09-30, 07:32 PM
So, the Perfect Self class feature turns you into a native outsider. That affords a few boons listed in the class feature description, but it doesn't seem that great. I assume there is something I'm not getting about it, like it gives you immunities to certain spells or abilities? Well, which ones? Thanks.

It doesn't actually turn you into a native outsider, rather you are treated as one for the purpose of spells and spell like abilities. So it's not that great, unless you are undead, in which case you have just become immune to turning: proving once again that if monks do nothing else, they survive.

Dr. Weasel
2007-09-30, 07:36 PM
The thing about Perfect Self, though is that if it's obtained via Exemplar, you can play guy who literally cooks so well he becomes an extradimensional being.

Besides the niftiness though, it sucks.

Human Paragon 3
2007-09-30, 07:38 PM
It should make you immune to crits, or give you spell resistance equal to your level +10. That would be cool.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-09-30, 07:39 PM
Monks GET SR. As for crit immunity? I'm sure a feat gave it to you.

Human Paragon 3
2007-09-30, 07:41 PM
Ah, but Exemplars do not. And what feat gives you immunity to critical hits, cause I'd definitely take that.

The_Snark
2007-09-30, 07:42 PM
It also gives you proficiency with all simple and martial weapons, for all the good it does you at that point.

The exemplar one does. The monk ability actually states that it's only for purposes of spells and spell-like effects.

And as far as I know, the only feat that grants crit immunity requires you to be a Warforged. Otherwise, spells and items are the way to do it.

Kaelik
2007-09-30, 07:42 PM
It should make you immune to crits, or give you spell resistance equal to your level +10. That would be cool.

Well since as a Monk you already have that spell resistance there was no reason to add it. And they probably just overlooked that sort of thing for Exemplar.

ken-do-nim
2007-09-30, 09:30 PM
Yeah, it's trying to give some "monk reaching nirvana/enlightenment" sort of flavour, but all it does it make you look somewhat foolish for taking 20 levels of monk.

Wouldn't it be awesome if instead of making the character an outsider, perfect self granted permanent foresight as the 9th level wizard spell? I think it is better flavor-wise for coming up with a game effect for enlightenment, and it would actually be useful.

Chronos
2007-09-30, 10:38 PM
Don't forget, it also makes you vulnerable to things like Protection from Law and Dismissal. Kind of hard to be a melee character when a 1st-level spell can prevent you from making physical contact with someone. If I were ever, for some reason, playing a monk at 20th level, I'd multiclass into something, anything, else for the last level just to avoid getting stuck with Perfect Self.

Human Paragon 3
2007-09-30, 10:43 PM
I think the (native) suptype lets you get around dismissal and protection from [alignment] spells.

TheOOB
2007-09-30, 11:00 PM
Protection from alignment only prevents contact from summoned creatures, and dismissile sends extraplaner creatures back to their home plane, since native outsiders are neither summoned or extraplaner, neither spell effects them much.

AtomicKitKat
2007-09-30, 11:10 PM
The exemplar one does. The monk ability actually states that it's only for purposes of spells and spell-like effects.

And as far as I know, the only feat that grants crit immunity requires you to be a Warforged. Otherwise, spells and items are the way to do it.

The "Tomb-Tainted" series of Feats from Libris Mortis, maybe? I know they grant you many sub-par versions of undead immunities. The anti-crit one is like 25% Fortification or something. Green Star Adept also grants Fortification that becomes Immunity at GSA9.

Jack Mann
2007-10-01, 12:37 AM

Monk: More useless than even I thought.

Jasdoif
2007-10-01, 12:48 AM
The "Tomb-Tainted" series of Feats from Libris Mortis, maybe? I know they grant you many sub-par versions of undead immunities. The anti-crit one is like 25% Fortification or something.Yeah. Tomb-Born Fortitude gives you a 25% chance to negate critical hits and sneak attacks, and also makes you immune to death by massive damage.