PDA

View Full Version : New

Hunterx
2019-03-27, 07:52 PM
So in a bit we will be starting a new game and we will be starting at level 1, we have the following books to pick from as of right now.

Unearthed arcana
Miniture handbook
Complete Warrior and Adventure
PHB
Expand Psionics
and a few others I can not remember

We are going to have a following
Paladin
Psi Rogue
a cleric of some kind
a something from one of the other players
and what I am looking at

I am looking at a buffer type that is also good not great in the combat, My first instinct went to Marshal and I think I will be going that way with my first level. But I have been interested in the blood lines in Unearthed arcana for a while and I know they can give players an interesting build.

With what we have what angle would you go here.

The Kool
2019-03-27, 08:15 PM
There's some good builds out there that multiclass Marshal, Bard, and some others to get a fun aura-based character. I'd try that? I think Dragon Shaman is another.

weckar
2019-03-27, 10:18 PM
Draconic auras aren't available, by that list.
Marshall/Bard/Paladin ends up pretty solid.

Particle_Man
2019-03-28, 12:11 AM
If you can remember the other books allowed, you can get more options.

Bard is a good "go to" buffer.

Which options from Unearthed Arcana are allowed? All of them?

Bphill561
2019-03-28, 01:04 AM
Yeah, which Unearthed Arcana material is available could make a big difference.

Maybe something like Marshal 4/Sorcerer 1
or
Marshal 2/Paladin of Freedom 2/Sorcerer 1
or
Marshal 2/Paladin of Freedom 2/ Unearthed Arcana Generic Spellcaster 1

With Prestige Bard. All the bardic music abilities with a larger spell list and decent BAB. Also you currently have don't have complete arcane or divine as listed books, so if you go the casting route for party buffs most of the spell casting Prestige classes are out. Prestige bard levels to advance sorcerer won't hurt as much. Pretty much what the previous posters suggested.

Bloodlines on the other hand are a little more tricky. I am not sure you have enough book sources and prestige classes available to start chaining the bloodline boosts to multiple classes together. Marshal 4 with a greater bloodline would only benefit from a +1 to his Major Aura. Bard would get extra uses of bardic music and higher bardic knowledge bonuses, which is okay. I always end up thinking Fiend of Possession when I hear bloodlines... but that is a little off topic.

Cygnia
2019-03-28, 08:38 AM
Marshals are highly underrated as a class. I've been really enjoying the one I've been playing (even if the game appears to have died again).

Maybe Marshal/Hexblade as a combo? Both play off CHA for their key abilities.

Hunterx
2019-03-28, 02:46 PM
If you can remember the other books allowed, you can get more options.

Bard is a good "go to" buffer.

Which options from Unearthed Arcana are allowed? All of them?

not sure yet

Hunterx
2019-03-30, 09:30 AM
I think I might go mounted with the marshal, and take bard and pick up the animal companion UCF along with savage bard think it could be interesting

Doctor Awkward
2019-03-30, 09:55 AM
Whenever core and completes are the only available options, a swift hunter build is usually my go to:

Scout 1 - Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot (Human bonus)
Ranger 1 - Track (B)
Scout 2 - Travel Devotion
Scout 3
Scout 4 - Swift Hunter (B)
Ranger 2 - Improved Skirmish, Rapid Shot (B)

That gets you the most solid damage possible (for a swift hunter) by those levels, +4d6 and +3 AC when skirmishing. You are able to fulfill the scouting and trap duties of a rogue, and the wilderness/tracking duties of a ranger. You have great mobility with a 40 ft movement speed, great defenses with Tumble and Uncanny Dodge. And once per day, you may move as a swift action for 10 rounds in order to Rapid Shot and double damage output for the duration.

From there I would take ranger up to 20 and focus on Greater Manyshot from Expanded Psionics for improving your damage. If Lord of Madness is eventually permitted the Darkstalker feat will greatly improve your scouting ability. For skills, Search, Disable Device, Spot, Listen, Hide, Move Silently, Survival, and anything else you would find useful, such as a knowledge or balance.

Zaq
2019-03-30, 02:48 PM
Marshal has a couple tricks, but it's a really passive class. Like, really passive. It barely gives you anything to do with your standard action. I recommend taking the minimum number of levels to get whatever auras you expect to be really relevant (this is usually, like, 1 level) and then moving into a class with more active abilities.

I'll add my voice to the chorus suggesting bard. That seems like the most obvious choice for a party buffer who can still do a little bit of combat. You won't get a totally maxed-to-the-gills inspire courage total without a few books that aren't on your list, but you can still get a reasonable amount of buffing (even early on!) from what you do have available. Don't forget that bards get spells as well as songs.

Hunterx
2019-03-30, 03:56 PM
When I read the Doc's post it got me thinking and then I looked and it is something I have always thought about and wanted to play.

Druid Avenger/Deadly Hunter.
Barbarian Archery style

So first 3 levels this is what would happen.

Lose: Animal Companion, Wild Shape, Armour and Shield Rage (Barbarian), non sudden summons spells, -4 to wild empathy

Gain: Speed increase 30', Rage, Monk AC +Wis, Archery combat style, Favoured enemy, Track, and swift track

Before Racial (not true stats but just saying)
Lets say stats as
Str: 16 Dex 16 Con 16 Int 12 Wis 18 Cha 10
Speed 30'

Flaw: Uncombative: -2 to melee
unattentive -4 to spot/listen

Where would you go with this kind of build
I would be getting into scout as soon for skirmish so something like

Druid 6 Barbarian 2 Scout 7 x 5 or something like that