PDA

View Full Version : Could someone point me to an Astral Construct Handbook?

RoboEmperor
2019-03-27, 08:37 PM
----------

Cavir
2019-03-27, 09:51 PM
You've probably seen some/all of these, but jsut in case.

Astral Construct Resources and Guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?555882-Guide-Astral-Construct-Resources)
Here's (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?527170-Index-of-Minmax-Brilliant-Gameologists-Threads) a list of handbooks.

Astral Construct Resources (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?555882-Guide-Astral-Construct-Resources)

Constructor Prestige Class (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625b)

Personal Construct (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070411a) 5th level ACF

While I'm at it, Guide to Psions (http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=e1c08bs1mjk3akg82upr5oq830&topic=5343)

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-03-27, 10:35 PM
Personal Construct (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070411a) 5th level ACFI...honestly have no idea why anyone bothers suggesting this. It sucks. You're better off using Linked Power to manifest astral construct as a standard/swift/immediate action using another power (my favorite being synchronicity). Couple that with a chronocharm of the uncaring archmage with a few extra charges added (via the MIC's item stacking rules to stack several CotUA's together).

Vastly better than wasting a feat for that pointless ACF.

And feel free to use this (http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=15897.0) to your fullest advantage.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-03-27, 11:05 PM
So... if you're level 5 and use Linked Power, you can only make a level 2 construct instead of a level 3 construct. And the construct appears this round instead of next round. I think that's worth an ACF.For early levels, the chronocharm is stupidly cheap.

For later levels, look at the link (http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=15897.0) I left. 9th level astral constructs as soon as you can afford the toys.

Don't waste your feat on a locked-in construct you can't alter on the fly.

Troacctid
2019-03-28, 12:45 AM
Personal Construct is basically Linked Power with no extra cost and no delay. The "no delay" part is the really big deal—that's a whole extra turn of actions for your construct. It's a slam dunk IMO.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-03-28, 12:58 AM
Personal Construct is basically Linked Power with no extra cost and no delay. The "no delay" part is the really big deal—that's a whole extra turn of actions for your construct. It's a slam dunk IMO.The big turn-off is that you're stuck with the same astral construct until you level up. Need a different configuration, and you need it now? Too bad; you don't get one.

The chronocharm has the same effect but does allow you to choose your menu abilities and construct size. And it only costs 500 gp. +750 per additional charge per day, of course, which is a virtual steal.

And an immediate action right before your turn with Linked Power and, say, grip of iron means you expend your focus and +1 pp, and you get your construct right away anyway. Heck, if you take Metapower (astral construct + Linked Power) (since you'll probably never manifest astral construct without it anyway), you get that +1 knocked off and get a second +1 pp to manifest it with, as well.

Troacctid
2019-03-28, 01:16 AM
The big turn-off is that you're stuck with the same astral construct until you level up. Need a different configuration, and you need it now? Too bad; you don't get one.

The chronocharm has the same effect but does allow you to choose your menu abilities and construct size. And it only costs 500 gp. +750 per additional charge per day, of course, which is a virtual steal.
You can still create non-favored constructs, you just can't quicken them for free.

And an immediate action right before your turn with Linked Power and, say, grip of iron means you expend your focus and +1 pp, and you get your construct right away anyway. Heck, if you take Metapower (Astral Construct + Linked Power) (since you'll probably never manifest astral construct without it anyway), you get that +1 knocked of and get a second +1 pp to manifest it with, as well.
Not right away—you can't use immediate actions before your first turn, so it still comes out on the second round of combat. You'd have to be immune to flat-footed, which is of course possible, but it's definitely not free.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-03-28, 01:23 AM
You can still create non-favored constructs, you just can't quicken them for free.

Not right away—you can't use immediate actions before your first turn, so it still comes out on the second round of combat. You'd have to be immune to flat-footed, which is of course possible, but it's definitely not free.Fair points on both, though remember, the chronocharm works even during the surprise round. 500 gp for the first charge per day and +750 gp for each charge thereafter is an amazingly good deal, since you don't have to burn a feat on it.

Troacctid
2019-03-28, 01:25 AM
Quicken works during the surprise round too.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-03-28, 01:27 AM
Quicken works during the surprise round too.I'd rather burn a few hundred gp for a customizable construct than a feat that won't even let you customize your construct. And actual Quicken Power is far too expensive to bother with until much later. Preferably with some augmentation mitigation.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-03-28, 09:17 AM
Yeah... it seems there are no handbooks discussing which combinations of menu abilities is most optimal, or what build to go. On top of that most of the content here is webcontent and my DMs loathe them >.<Optimal menu choices depend entirely on what you're up against. Even slight changes in a situation (such as single buffs, or alterations in terrain) can completely change which menu abilities you want to use.

You're basically building a temporary character each time you manifest the power. So you'll definitely want access to a spreadsheet editor (preferably Excel) and this spreadsheet (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7XkmnK-DY9YRkU5SVhCNWZqS0U/view?usp=sharing) to make things easier. And get as many menu abilities available at once as you can manage.

Oh, and avoid the CPsi construct stuff completely. Everything they did to astral constructs is a travesty. If you want to specialize, go constructor (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625b) and take a few of these feats (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/pse/20020727c), along with Linked Power (+synchronicity) and stack plenty of chronocharms of the uncaring together and loooooots of ML boosts.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-03-28, 09:25 AM
Metapower (Linked Power + astral construct) might be a good idea, especially since you can combine it with any other power you want (my favorite being synchronicity), and there's no restriction on whether astral construct is the first or second power used in the combo, so feel free to use the chronocharm to manifest it as a standard action this round and Link synchronicity for a free standard action next round.

Yeah. DM included Complete Psi in his game so I have to go by the new Astral Construct which has the 1 Astral Construct Limit. On the plus side, he's allowing me to use this infinite PP thing because of the 1 Astral Construct Limit. If RAW screws me over, then it's only fair that RAW makes it up to me XD.

No constructor because it's webcontent. Goddamn I want that multiple AC in a single cast + 1min/level duration.I'd insist that other summoner-types be likewise restricted, since they also gain access to slot refreshers like pearls of power. Otherwise, you're getting screwed for no reason.

You wanna know why one of the authors decided that restriction was a good idea? Because the wilder in their playgroup was using wild surge to make a high level construct each combat, and somehow that rule was supposed to fix that. Somehow.

Try asking your DM to expand your options a bit. Psionic "summoners" don't get much support outside The Mind's Eye, as opposed to Vancian casters, who are practically drowning in it.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-03-28, 09:50 AM
You don't understand. He's allowing me infinite PP regeneration shenanigans so I think it's an awesome trade. I'd gladly limit myself to 1 Astral Construct in exchange for infinite PP. Part of his reasoning was "I don't see how you can abuse this since you're going astral construct instead of blaster"There are so many ways to refill your pp that it can't have been not intended.

Arcane and divine types get this, too, though in somewhat fewer ways. Pearls of power and wands of mnemonic enhancer + Versatile Spellcaster, just for a few.

Thing is, you're gonna want constructor. At the very least, ask him about it. And for gods' sake, don't take any of those stupid construct feats from CPsi. They're a flat-out nerf to your astral construct abilities, and they require a feat to use.

There are a few really nice things in CPsi, but you have to wade through burning sewage to get to them.

MisterKaws
2019-03-28, 09:59 AM
I just learned how ridiculously easy it is to recharge your power points after combat. Just need level 6 and 4 feats (linked power + midnight augmentation + metapower:Bestow Power, Linked Power + 1 random feat that gives 1 essentia). So I want to build my first psionic character! One who just spams Astral Construct 24/7 and have said construct carry him around as he spends his actions recharging PP for a literal 24 hour Astral Construct uptime.

So being completely new to Psionics, could someone point me to an astral construct handbook? My google fu failed me and only gave me random posts that mixed in 3rd party content like Hyperconsciousness.

I need PrCs, Feats, and tricks thought up by optimizers. I'm currently reading through Complete Psionics and the D20srd.

If you do the recharge trick in a non-munchkin table(I.e: everyone and their mom is chain gating Solars), you'll get a book to the head. Or just a table ban if you're playing online.

That aside, you don't really need a 24/7 construct. There's better ways to get movement than spamming a 9th-level equivalent spell every 2 minutes. At that point I'd send a space-time inevitable at you(don't remember the name but they're cr24 with at-will time travel), if I were the DM, for disturbing the Astral Plane's balance.

Crichton
2019-03-28, 10:03 AM
It's a minor thing, but psionics.info (http://www.psionics.info/) has an Astral Construct, uh, constructor page. Basically select the options from a couple dropdowns, and it fills out the statblock for you. Very handy for on-the-fly astral constructing.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-03-28, 10:06 AM
Shapers are really good at pp conservation, to the point where I never run out of power points past early levels, or even come close. A couple of power points can fuel a manifestation of psionic minor creation, which can create enough poison to wreck a few hundred encounters on its own. Craft yourself a napalm sprayer, fill it full of poison, and watch as your enemies fall before you in droves. And that's just one example out of a few dozen. Make use of cheap power stones and dorjes, keep an eye on how you can use your surroundings to your advantage (as time hop is a thing), and use lots of psionic grease and other highly effective 1st, 2nd, and 3rd level powers (without augmenting them) and watch as your pp pool completely fails to deplete by the end of the day.

Honestly, I'd most definitely trade infinite pp (and the stupid astral construct nerfs) for access to The Mind's Eye and other sources.

Ramza00
2019-03-28, 10:27 AM
Q) What level of Play?
Q) What books available?
Q) Are you willing to go Cerbremancer?

Ramza00
2019-03-28, 11:35 AM
1) An optimized two handed power attack non-ubercharger Barbarian is the measuring stick. If said barbarian is worthless deadweight the build is too strong.

I meant what level is the game starting at, what is my "target" I need to make sure the build is online by this level, even if the game will continue and I must keep expansion in mind as well.

Are we starting at 6th level, 1st level, 3rd level, and so on?

MisterKaws
2019-03-28, 12:22 PM
I disagree. Psionics have to compare to DMM:Persistent Spell or optimized Orb blasters somehow right?

That's my whole point. Are you on a table where Clerics carry enough Nightsticks to play Mikado for a week and Sorcerers cast 50 Orbs of fire daily, each dealing 500 damage?

Actually, can a Mailman Sorcerer even get more than like 10 castings of those?

Calthropstu
2019-03-28, 09:40 PM
If your gm is open to some PF feats, Advanced construct for the win.
Manifest recharge, manifest some more. It allows 1 hour/lvl constructs with just itself.
If your gm doesn't use the whole 1 construct at a time ruling from 3.5, you're golden to call forth a ridiculous army.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-03-28, 11:43 PM
If it's not too much trouble, could you list all the ways you know? : P.

The only methods I know are Body Fuel + Strongheart Vest (apparently this doesn't work because Body Fuel is not an attack)
Synchronicity + Linked Power + Metapower + Midnight Augmentation
Psycarnum Infusion + Azure Talent

And that's it.Hoo boy.

Anything that reduces bestow power by 2 or more power points would do it, such as Metapower, the ardent's mantle substitution ACF (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a), quori power link shards, and the torc of power preservation + the torc of psionic might (both of which reduce pp consumption by 1). Earth Power also reduces manifesting costs by 1. Oh, and the anarchic initiate who wild surges for +2, too, since they don't lose pp from enervation. You can manifest bestow power using an external (or unlimited) source of pp, such as via a cognizance crystal or during a metamind's font of power.

If you have the Magic mantle or have psionic/magic transparency and use UMD on a wand of mnemonic enhancer, you should regain the slots' equivalents in pp. If you do the same with dweomer of transference (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/spells/dweomerOfTransference.htm) (or even better, that other spell that casts another spell when other effects are cast into it; just have that "spell" be dweomer of transference or bestow power).

The sapping your psicrystal (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?177889-Brainstorm-for-Psionic-Tricks-Tactics-and-Combos-Handbook&p=20249100&viewfull=1#post20249100) trick, of course.

And if you have a psicrystal, share affinity field with it so that you both have an instance running, allow them to overlap, and then manifest bestow power once. The effect is bounced back and forth an infinite number of times per round, refilling all of your pp as soon as you spend them. Of course, damage is transferred like this as well, so don't leave it up when there's any chance of damage, else you'll both die instantly (as will anyone else within range).

Access to a fast-time demiplane allows you to psionic plane shift there and rest any time you like, then plane shift back immediately, so you're always (nearly) full on pp until you're too low to plane shift there, at which point you're stuck without resting normally or having access to a power stone or something. Or, of course, if you have access to such a demiplane, plant an oak tree there and find a way to cast acorn of far travel (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040710a) on it, so you can just pull out the acorn whenever you want and suddenly be in a completely different time zone. If you're fast enough, nothing will be able to hurt you while you're sleeping, even if it's in the middle of an intense battle. Just watch out for people who can cast time stop or manifest temporal acceleration. You won't like that at all.

Use the rules in the MIC to craft a psionic version of a thought bottle that can store a day's worth of pp for you, dump all your pp into it on your days off, and restore from backup the thought bottle any time you run out. Use this trick (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?246396-Another-Addition-To-The-Tippyverse) on the thought bottle to get as many copies as you want.

The primal scholar PrC in Secrets of Xen'drik allows you to refill spells with action points, but it's not arcane or divine. If a psionic manifester with the Magic mantle enters it (and uses the spell point conversion for slots-to-power points) and has access to the heroics spell (via cerebremancer, convert-spell-to-power, mantle substitution, etc), then the secret of power class ability will refill your pp pool pretty quick. It's a lot of (fairly minor) ifs, but if you can make it work...

There's also Leadership and thrallherd, for a bunch of minions who all use bestow power to boost you up when you get low.

That's it, about 18 or 19 of them off the top of my head. I'm sure there are considerably more than that, but I can't remember them off-hand.

thethird
2019-03-29, 07:43 AM
I disagree. Psionics have to compare to DMM:Persistent Spell or optimized Orb blasters somehow right?

[...]

2) All 1st party books both 3.0 and 3.5, no dragon magazine or dragon compendium and the like, no 2nd and 3rd party material. no webcontent, no pathfinder, no homebrew

Persistent power exists in 3.0 as a metapsionic feat. Go get them boy.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-04-01, 08:29 AM
Just had another thought. These aren't "recharging," though they works almost as quickly at high levels (1-2 hours, instead of 45 minutes or so). They're available at quite low levels and are definitely worthwhile, though, especially if you're not on a super-tight schedule.

The ring of sustenance "...also refreshes the body and mind, so that its wearer needs only sleep 2 hours per day to gain the benefit of 8 hours of sleep." One of the benefits of 8 hours of sleep is the fact that you can refresh your power point pool as a standard action, so wearing the ring means you can take 2 hours whenever you need a refill. Some people argue that this doesn't work, because 2 hours of sleep isn't 8 hours of restful calm, but it says explicitly that you gain the benefits of 8 hours of sleep, which also means 8 hours of restful calm, since that happens automatically when you sleep uninterrupted. And it also refreshes both body and mind, meaning it's definitely restful.

In a similar manner, Heward's fortifying bedroll (CMage 133) allows the above, but in 1 hour. And it very much explicitly allows you to renew spells and such. You can only use it once every other day (with a second character using it on intervening days), but combined with the above, it makes a great secondary power point recharge station. The "spells cast within the last 8 hours remain used" thing is annoying, so you do need to space your manifestations out a bit. And the awesome thing is, since it's a slotless item, you can use the MIC rules to add it to a different item for no increase in the base cost for being slotless (or a 50% decrease in cost if you add it to a slotted item). A fortifying ioun stone? Sure! A fortifying ring of sustenance? Even better!

So, yeah. not exactly power point regen, but they work to the same effect.

[edit] Question: can a dvati (which is a character with two bodies who share one soul) use a fortifying bedroll every day by alternating which body sleeps in it?

Phillyg
2019-04-01, 09:27 AM
Reply #9 to The New, Virtually No-Nonsense Guide to Psions is an adequate Astral Construct Guide: minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=5343