PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Any Prepared Dungeoncrawl?

Erfar
2019-03-28, 07:04 AM
So as title, I'm searching pure dungeons for dungeon crawling without plot but balanced for party

Unoriginal
2019-03-28, 07:22 AM
What do you mean by "without plot"?

Like, is it too much plot if the dungeon's boss is up to something?

Erfar
2019-03-28, 07:58 AM
just map+encounters with some theme but without quest or setting specific

Seerow
2019-03-28, 08:00 AM
just map+encounters with some theme but without quest or setting specific

Have you considered a random dungeon generator? https://donjon.bin.sh/5e/dungeon/

Anything more coherent will likely have plot threads attached to it.

2D8HP
2019-03-28, 08:00 AM
There's an updated to 5e version of Into the Borderlands (http://goodman-games.com/store/product/original-adventures-reincarnated-1-into-the-borderlands/) which incorporates B1 In Search of the Unknown (the first module I every ran) with B2 Keep on the Borderlands, and a short linking adventure, and from the same publisher there's The Isle of Dread (http://goodman-games.com/blog/2018/08/24/the-isle-of-dread-chris-doyle-interview/), which is a "Hex crawl" rather than a "Dungeon crawl", and it's AWESOME!

Unoriginal
2019-03-28, 08:07 AM
I guess you could take a look at Forge of Fury. Any of the quest stuff can be removed pretty easily wihtout changing anything.

Though the final boss is pretty damn strong.

Democratus
2019-03-28, 08:08 AM
I use the "Mini-Dungeon Tome" from AAW games. It has over 100 dungeons for various levels.

There's also the "Book of Lairs" (a companion to the Tome of Beasts) which has several great dungeons/lairs.

Keravath
2019-03-28, 08:18 AM
The "Tales from the Yawning Portal" book is only filled with dungeon crawls tailored to various levels from 1-20, many of which could be dropped into any homebrew setting.The contents are actually a number of classic D&D dungeons updated to 5e and they are generally pretty good. None of them have an over-arching plot though I think most have a plot hook to bring you into the dungeon if you want to use it.

Also, the book "Dungeon of the Mad Mage" contains dungeons suitable for levels 5-20. I think each level is independent and as far as I know can be pulled out as separate dungeons as far as I understand it.

If you are looking for reasonably complete pre-made dungeons that don't necessarily have any sort of over-arching plot line then these might be good choices.

Bjarkmundur
2019-03-28, 09:18 AM
Right now my group is playing Mines of Madness.

I've had to change some things to make it less of a character grinder, but the group has enjoyed it so far.

By no means the best dungeon, but it's proving simple to run.

That random dungeon generator is amazing!

Great Dragon
2019-03-28, 10:09 AM
Good recommendations.

That random dungeon generator is amazing!

It is useful, but look out for repeat maps.
Usually gives different outcomes for what is in the Dungeon: from what the walls are made of, to types of doors/traps and monsters.