PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next (Homebrew) Help me balancing these weapons and items

SanFlash
2019-03-28, 08:34 AM
As the title says, I'm craving for new weapons and almost-non-magical items to be added in my game. Some are took from the D&D Homebrew wiki but tweaked, some others are new. Please help me to understand if these are ok to play, and which options I will give about them are the most balanced.

TIGER HOOK SWORD

1d6 damage slashing/piercing; finesse; light
Special: If you are wielding two of these weapons, you may hook them togeather giving the weapon the Reach property. This kind of attack deals 2d4 slashing damage.
Grappling: if you are wielding two of these weapons and you make two successfull attack rolls against a target medium or small in size, you can immediatly attempt a grapple check.
-Option 1: you can add the proficency bonus to the check
-Option 2: you make the check with advantage
-Option 3: none of the above
-Option 4: you can choose to make a check to knock prone the target instead. Previous options for the check may also apply

KNUCKLE HOOK/ HAND HOOK

1d4 damage slashing; finesse; light
Special: you can go for a grapple check with these weapons as tought you have free hands. If you are successfull, you deal 1d4+stats damage to the target

KUSARI GAMA

2d4 damage slashing/bludgeoning; finesse; two handed; light; Thrown (range 10/20) (can be pulled back if used only once)
Special: when you go for a disarm check with this weapon,
-Other options: the possibility to make a grappling chek like the weapons above

SPECIAL BELT FOR THROWN WEAPONS AND OBJECTS (UNCOMMON MAGIC ITEM)
When you wear this belt, you can draw as many light weapons and small objects as you like during a turn (limited only by your number of free hands aviable at a time). The belt also has two (2) special slots in which you can assign each an object (operation that requires 1 minute). One object from this special slots then can be thrown as a bonus action during your turn.
-Option: more special slots?

SPECIAL BELT FOR WEAPONS (RARE (or uncommon?) MAGIC ITEM)
When you wear this belt, you can sheat up to two weapons or object during your turn without expending an action.

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-28, 10:29 AM
TIGER HOOK SWORD

1d6 damage slashing/piercing; finesse; light
Special: If you are wielding two of these weapons, you may hook them togeather giving the weapon the Reach property. This kind of attack deals 2d4 slashing damage.
Grappling: if you are wielding two of these weapons and you make two successfull attack rolls against a target medium or small in size, you can immediatly attempt a grapple check.
-Option 4: you can choose to make a check to knock prone the target instead. Previous options for the check may also apply

Option 3. It's already a Finesse Light Reach weapon that deals better damage than the Whip and can grapple.

KNUCKLE HOOK/ HAND HOOK

1d4 damage slashing; finesse; light
Special: you can go for a grapple check with these weapons as tought you have free hands. If you are successfull, you deal 1d4+stats damage to the target

Option 1 seems fine. It's strong for a grappler, but when magic items become more common, you'll want some kind of incentive to continue using these weapons for the utility, and the Proficiency scaling helps with that.

KUSARI GAMA

2d4 damage slashing/bludgeoning; finesse; two handed; light; Thrown (range 10/20) (can be pulled back if used only once)
Special: when you go for a disarm check with this weapon,
-Other options: the possibility to make a grappling chek like the weapons above

I'd actually go with Option 2 on this. The fact that its throwing range is very limited, combined with the fact that Disarming is less effective at range, means that it's not an overpowered solution to a problem.

SPECIAL BELT FOR THROWN WEAPONS AND OBJECTS (UNCOMMON MAGIC ITEM)
When you wear this belt, you can draw as many light weapons and small objects as you like during a turn (limited only by your number of free hands aviable at a time). The belt also has two (2) special slots in which you can assign each an object (operation that requires 1 minute). One object from this special slots then can be thrown as a bonus action during your turn.
-Option: more special slots?

SPECIAL BELT FOR WEAPONS (RARE (or uncommon?) MAGIC ITEM)
When you wear this belt, you can sheat up to two weapons or object during your turn without expending an action.

The quickdraw utility belts seem fine.

Although I have a suggestion for you, which is something I adopted, to get around the Special requirement (which disqualifies Kenseis from using these weapons): Add a grappling trait.

Grappling: You can attempt grappling checks using this weapon's reach and the attack roll you would use for an attack with it. While grappling with the weapon, you cannot make other attacks or grapples with it until you are no longer grappling a creature. When a creature attempts to break the grapple, they must roll against the original roll you used to initiate the grapple.

Then, maybe as needed, have things like Special: Grapple attempts with this weapon have Advantage, or Special: Grapple attempts with this weapon are made with a Bonus Action. It makes things a lot more streamlined.