PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Guns

Name2020
2019-03-28, 08:54 AM
With the Gunslinger subclass made by Matthew Mercer you can build guns. But I wanted to know if you had to be a Gunslinger to make guns. I wanted to make a Bloodhunter and use my Crimson Rite on a gun that I have made to give it an effect. So I guess the question is, "Can I make guns without being a Gunslinger."

Ventruenox
2019-03-28, 08:57 AM
The obvious answer is of course, "Ask your DM". The availability of firearms, method of creation, and use of third party products vary greatly from table to table.

Skyblaze
2019-03-28, 08:57 AM
Since both are homebrew, its up to your own DM I'd say. Cool idea though.

Unoriginal
2019-03-28, 09:01 AM
If your DM allows the guns from the DMG, there is no special requirement to build them (aside from tool proficiency).

The Jack
2019-03-28, 01:36 PM
Guns would be covered by 'Smiths tools'. Gunpowder would be covered by 'alchemist's tools'

A tinker's tools might be value if you wanted to make wheelock mechanisms.
A carpenter or wood carver's tools might be nice, but are not necessary.

I'm not sure about what you'd need for modern ammunition.

JoeJ
2019-03-28, 02:05 PM

Machinist's tools and reloader's tools? If modern guns are available as anything other than a one-off item of mysterious origin, modern tools should be available as well.

The Jack
2019-03-28, 02:36 PM
Machinist's tools and reloader's tools? If modern guns are available as anything other than a one-off item of mysterious origin, modern tools should be available as well.

But would that be covered by smiths or tinkerers?

JoeJ
2019-03-28, 02:41 PM
But would that be covered by smiths or tinkerers?

Neither, really. If you're going to be playing in an industrial high-tech setting you need new tool proficiencies.

Unoriginal
2019-03-28, 02:44 PM
If you want modern ammunition then crafting them by hand is certainly not the easiest. They're likely produced in dedicated factories.

JoeJ
2019-03-28, 02:49 PM
If you want modern ammunition then crafting them by hand is certainly not the easiest. They're likely produced in dedicated factories.

Right. Even if you're doing some kind of underground resistance fighter scenario your best bet is to set up a small factory in somebody's garage where you can have people semi-mass producing ammunition.

Tetrasodium
2019-03-29, 07:45 AM
Guns would be covered by 'Smiths tools'. Gunpowder would be covered by 'alchemist's tools'

A tinker's tools might be value if you wanted to make wheelock mechanisms.
A carpenter or wood carver's tools might be nice, but are not necessary.

Even us revolutionary War era firearms are something that would need manufacturing capabilities to improve by orders of magnitude for most settings.
Modern firearms and ammunition are even further along. Season 8 of the walking dead has a lot of scenes in Eugene's ammo workshop kitted out with the needed tools

With thst said, talk to your gm. Firearms are extremely problematic in multiple settings and settings with similar baselines for various reasons.

War_lord
2019-03-29, 08:17 AM
It's all homebrew content, so ask your DM. Guns may or may not fit with their vision for the game, and firearms in fantasy tends to be a controversial topics among purists.