PDA

View Full Version : Character backstories

Navmaxlp
2019-03-28, 01:16 PM
Hey all,

New to tabletop RPGs at this point. I found a place in town that runs beginner games though and am eager to try it out. I've played a ton of MMORPGs and never felt like they captured what I wanted as they were way more about getting more gear and leet speak than character driven story lines.

I talked to the store owner and he mentioned at the first meeting we would be developing a character sheet etc. I'd like to have a character in mind when I get there so I started developing a story background for a character. I got really into it. Having never done this before, I wondered if developing one character was wise. What if there were four people wanting to play a rogue? So I started looking for a couple of other characters I'd like to play. I based them on a class that I liked then looked around for inspiration, melded a few things together and started writing things up. So far I have one about 99% complete (High Elf arcane trickster), one at like 80% (Human Druid) and one at 20% (Dwarf Cleric). I don't want to get into the maths or anything yet with character sheets since we'll be doing that at the store. I was wondering if this would be the right place to post these and look for some feedback. They're kind of long and written in the first person as a story. Is this the right place to do that or should I post somewhere else?

Max_Killjoy
2019-03-28, 01:43 PM
Hey all,

New to tabletop RPGs at this point. I found a place in town that runs beginner games though and am eager to try it out. I've played a ton of MMORPGs and never felt like they captured what I wanted as they were way more about getting more gear and leet speak than character driven story lines.

I talked to the store owner and he mentioned at the first meeting we would be developing a character sheet etc. I'd like to have a character in mind when I get there so I started developing a story background for a character. I got really into it. Having never done this before, I wondered if developing one character was wise. What if there were four people wanting to play a rogue? So I started looking for a couple of other characters I'd like to play. I based them on a class that I liked then looked around for inspiration, melded a few things together and started writing things up. So far I have one about 99% complete (High Elf arcane trickster), one at like 80% (Human Druid) and one at 20% (Dwarf Cleric). I don't want to get into the maths or anything yet with character sheets since we'll be doing that at the store. I was wondering if this would be the right place to post these and look for some feedback. They're kind of long and written in the first person as a story. Is this the right place to do that or should I post somewhere else?

1) Since you don't know what the other players might bring yet, having a few different concepts in mind is a good idea.

2) You don't know the setting the GM will be using, so prepare to be flexible... start with broad strokes and adaptable details on your backstories for now.

PhoenixPhyre
2019-03-28, 01:46 PM
1) Since you don't know what the other players might bring yet, having a few different concepts in mind is a good idea.

2) You don't know the setting the GM will be using, so prepare to be flexible... start with broad strokes and adaptable details on your backstories for now.

I agree. In fact, I'd go further. Don't start worrying about mechanical details yet (ie actually writing the sheet). The DM said you'd do that at session 0.

Instead, worry about who the person is (in broad strokes). Brash? Subdued? Greedy? Generous? In-your-face? Sneaky? Stuff like that. Let the mechanics flow from the character, not vice versa.

Imbalance
2019-03-28, 01:59 PM
Just based on my limited experience, I'd say don't get to attached to any one character or concept, because it may not live as long as the time you put into it. Definitely have backups, because I get the impression that most DMs don't give extra lives or respawns.

Conversely, look forward to building the character's story in the moment. That has been surprisingly rewarding for me, and my generic "test" build has become as interesting as just about any video game character I've ever played.

Unoriginal
2019-03-28, 02:00 PM
Posting the backstories here might let you get some feedback, yes.

Navmaxlp
2019-03-28, 02:05 PM
Ok, here goes the first one. Voxx Traelen (High Elf Arcane Trickster)

I don’t remember my childhood. I’m not sure I would want to anyway. I assume I was either taken from my home or rescued from a dire situation. Knowing the people in charge here, the former is most likely. Their kind aren’t the type to rescue. My earliest memories are of my training and I’m not surprised. When you are trained to lie, steal, cheat and kill, your training kind of dominates your thoughts.

I’ve only been close to a few people in my life. One of which is Pyria the (someone I know somehow) who taught me what little I know of being an elf. There are parts of myself I had no idea about before meeting her, like the magic inside me and all High Elves. She taught me to develop it and to control it. I can’t do much with it right now but Pyria says that will come with time and practice. She’s also taught me about what little I know about the High Elven race I come from. She thought it was important for me to know as much about elven culture as possible and as it turns out, I took to learning the elvish language quite naturally. I don’t know if my magical roots had anything to do with that or not but I can speak it quite fluently. She’s taught me about the Elven god Corellon Larethian but said I’m more likely already in Erevan Ilesere’s clutches. Pyria always said I’d never pass for a high elf though since the finer points of elven culture “eluded me”.

My training doesn’t cover any of that elvish stuff but, I use it to my advantage from time to time. Don’t think that’s what makes me good though. I’m really good at the other stuff all on my own. It’s just that the magic helps out and gives me an extra edge. Any edge helps especially if someone challenges you. I used to get challenged by the other trainees all the time. Being top dog usually puts a mark on your head. The challenges slowed after the first few times though. When you put a dagger through a skull, it tends to leave an impression…get it? I’m hilarious. The big change was when Feryll challenged me. Everyone believed he was the future of the gang. Hell, some even thought he could one day rise to be one of the Lords. I cut his throat before his hand did anything more than twitch. No one challenges me anymore.

I know that won’t last though. If killing Feryll taught me anything it was that no one stays on top for long. Everyone will be looking for a chance to down me. What better way to gain status than by killing Voxx Traelen? You always have to watch your back. Always have to keep one eye open and one ear on the ground. I hate it. It’s lonely.

The only other person who ever showed me any kind of affection was Emmerson, the weapons trainer. I never thought he had any real investment in me but knew he saw my potential. He taught me to become deadly with a blade and bow. He honed my natural elven dexterity and skill to a razor sharp point. And I ate it up. I knew that if I could become the weapon they desired, I might have some value. So every spare moment of every day became a training session where Emmerson would impart knowledge and skill. My devil may care attitude was always placed aside for training. I would do anything he asked of me in an effort to learn more. I suppose that was noticed by the guild and taken for something it wasn’t. They began to question my loyalty. They believed I became his and not theirs so they put me to the test. The day before the test he told me he had nothing left to teach and that it didn’t matter anymore what they thought. I would be theirs. He told me to aim true and he would be fine. I trusted him. He made no move to avoid me. My aim was true. Emmerson knew that, for me to truly be proven, there could be no question I would kill him thoughtlessly at the direction of the guild. My loyalty was proven but my faith was gone. It was that day that I realized there were some people in the world that weren’t in it just for themselves. It was that day I had the first thoughts of leaving. Eventually, I sought my only friend. I went to Pyria and told her of what had happened and my desire to leave this place. Her response was, “well of course you’re leaving. What else do you think we’ve been working towards”.

Last night I saw her for the last time. I don’t know if she knew what was coming but she talked about a lot of stuff like she might have. She told me she thought I was descended from the Moon Elves and that she had heard of a place far off where they exist as they once did. Elves are everywhere but these days she said these elves were different. Free and open elves who might accept me and take me in as one of them. She didn’t know for sure where they might be as they tend to be nomadic but she gave me all the information she had. It was enough to get started if I decided to. Today when I went back to see her, her home (shop?) had been burned to the ground. I was told there were no survivors. The scene was still fresh and I could see the bodies there covered by blankets out of respect. It was the first time I can remember having any emotion when seeing a corpse.

So, I’m getting out. I don’t know how this will play out but, I’m leaving. I’ve certainly got enough skills to survive on my own. I really don’t mind the killing either if that’s what I have to rely on. I like that I’m really good at it. I mean I don’t find any particular pleasure in it but, I don’t really care. I do mind the loneliness though and I do mind the isolation. I’m done with all that. I’m only really comfortable when I feel like I have someone to share things with. I’ll find something eventually or die looking for it.

I’m coming up on my 100th year. Pyria told me that’s usually around when a Elf becomes an adult. I don’t know about any of that but one thing’s for sure. That’s when this Elf makes a go of it. That’s when I get out of this life and start looking for another.

I’m left wondering a lot of things. I wonder if I’ll find the place Pyria told me about. Even if I do, I wonder if I’ll fit in. I wonder how I’ll get there and even where it is. I also wonder about the things Pyria taught me about, the elvish stuff. Will I get better with the magical side of myself? Can I elevate my abilities enough to be truly proficient? Who can say for sure? I’m not too worried about that last part though. I’ve got other skills to rely on.

So there you have it. Let me know what you think. I also have the majority of a Human Druid as well. I can post that one later if you all don't mind.

Navmaxlp
2019-03-28, 02:15 PM
Some other notes and thoughts on the character:

I tend to be light hearted and jovial. Devil may care attitude but never careless in action or in killing. Insanely loyal to people. The lack of family has caused me to have an almost desperate need for people to hold on to. I always look to make a friend but won’t trust them completely until it’s proven. But I give a cautious benefit of the doubt until then.

Everything with me is backwards. I’m a killer who just wants to live life. I’m a magical elf that feels more like a normal human. I have a huge desire to trust someone but am so hesitant to do so, it can get in the way.

Need to name 9 NPCs. 2 more Allies (Contact from criminal/spy background), 3 Neutral and 2 more enemies (Guild leader I feel is responsible for Emmerson’s death?)

Goals - Escape the guild - find the place Pyria spoke of where I might be accepted by my people - continue training the magical side of myself

Beliefs and ideals - “Family above all else” - Can’t completely trust anyone you haven’t been in battle with - Intrigue and drama are tools of the job, not for use in relationships

Do I have money from being proficient within the guild? Could one of my allies be a merchant I bought weapons from?

Nidgit
2019-03-28, 02:40 PM
12 named PCs is a lot, way more than you need unless that's what your DM is asking for. You don't need to map out everything about your character's starting point, so you and your group can fill in bits organically as the world is fleshed out.

While writing your backstory in a stream-of-consciousness fashion is very cool, for the sake of clarity it might be good to come up with a bullet point version too to highlight the important stuff from the surrounding thoughts. It'll make it easier for your DM to engage with your backstory if it's quickly accessible.

PhoenixPhyre
2019-03-28, 02:59 PM
12 named PCs is a lot, way more than you need unless that's what your DM is asking for. You don't need to map out everything about your character's starting point, so you and your group can fill in bits organically as the world is fleshed out.

While writing your backstory in a stream-of-consciousness fashion is very cool, for the sake of clarity it might be good to come up with a bullet point version too to highlight the important stuff from the surrounding thoughts. It'll make it easier for your DM to engage with your backstory if it's quickly accessible.

Yeah. The most important (for other people) parts of a backstory can be summed up in the Personality parts:

* Personality trait(s): one or two quirks. "talks to himself incessantly." "Hates frogs."
* Ideal: What is the guiding light of your character? Is it freedom from restraint? Is is altruism? Look at the examples for the backgrounds. They're always "General Principle. One sentence description of the specific application."
* Bond: Who or what is something you are attached to or owe a debt to?
* Flaw: What's something the DM can use to get you in interesting trouble? Did you skate on a debt? Do you get drunk easy? Too curious for your own good?

This is the key. Unless you know the setting, you can't nail down details from there.

Unoriginal
2019-03-28, 03:01 PM
What's your character's Background?

Democratus
2019-03-28, 03:09 PM
Too much character backstory is just doing homework for nobody.

Decide how your character will behave, and that's enough.

5th edition gives you a mechanism for a background. So go with your background. Decide on your flaws/ideas/character - and that should be plenty to start. Your important 'history' is the one you build with the other players around the table.

In the immortal words of Gygax: "The first six levels are the character's back story."

Finney
2019-03-28, 03:10 PM
Ok, here goes the first one. Voxx Traelen (High Elf Arcane Trickster

A long, detailed backstory is great for character development. However, I recommend having a one or two paragraph version that is easily digested by other players and the dungeon master.

In my experience, the TLDR version of a character backstory should answer two questions:

1. What are your character's goals? (i.e. what motivates him? what does he want?)

2. What is your character willing to do to achieve their goals? (which is a good way to figure out their alignment)

Navmaxlp
2019-03-28, 03:50 PM
Thanks so much for the feedback. This is exactly what I was looking for. I've never done this. Well, that's not true. I always have a backstory in my mind when playing a character in EQ or any of the other MMOs I've played, but that's completely different.

It makes sense that this would be overwhelming to anyone else within the game. I just wasn't sure what the DM was looking for and had no frame of reference how most people did things. I'll put in bullet for which will make things easier for him and the other players. The funny thing is, I started in bullet for to get to where this is. I won't post the others since they are in the same format.

It seems like, as a whole, this is way too in depth and I need to simplify. Should I just use the backstory feature within the players handbook and try to make my story fit? You all gave a lot of good advice as to what to include so there's some good stuff to go off of. I know the DM will help with all this at the first meeting but I don't want to seem silly or totally clueless (which I obviously am). I just wanted to be prepared when I got there so I would have the concept ready to go.

Thanks again for the advice.

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-28, 03:58 PM
Thanks so much for the feedback. This is exactly what I was looking for. I've never done this. Well, that's not true. I always have a backstory in my mind when playing a character in EQ or any of the other MMOs I've played, but that's completely different.

It makes sense that this would be overwhelming to anyone else within the game. I just wasn't sure what the DM was looking for and had no frame of reference how most people did things. I'll put in bullet for which will make things easier for him and the other players. The funny thing is, I started in bullet for to get to where this is. I won't post the others since they are in the same format.

It seems like, as a whole, this is way too in depth and I need to simplify. Should I just use the backstory feature within the players handbook and try to make my story fit? You all gave a lot of good advice as to what to include so there's some good stuff to go off of. I know the DM will help with all this at the first meeting but I don't want to seem silly or totally clueless (which I obviously am). I just wanted to be prepared when I got there so I would have the concept ready to go.

Thanks again for the advice.

Put it this way: The simpler your backstory is, the easier it is for the DM to use it (and the more frequently he'll do so). Unless he goes out of his way to make an Arc that's ENTIRELY about this one person in the group, you'll likely never see it become relevant in the story.

However, if I only have 4 NPCs, a brief description of my Warlock Patron, and a very basic idea of the magical criminal organization I work for, the DM can easily make all of those things fit in somewhere, even if not all at once. The more serious/detailed things are, the harder it is to keep them as separate elements. If they can't be separate elements, then one person's story is now controlling the direction of the group.

I, as a DM, wouldn't make an Arc that's specific towards one person. I would definitely have several key points in their backstory occasionally be relevant, as shopkeepers, handlers, mercenaries and things like that.

Navmaxlp
2019-03-28, 06:42 PM
This is all great feedback. Thanks very much. Would it be better to just present something like this to the DM?:

- Raised from childhood by humans in an assassins guild

- Learned arcane magic from local elf

- Left the loneliness of former life behind to seek his original nomadic people

- Tends to be lighthearted and jovial in nature using humor as a defensive mechanism

- Always looks to make a friend first but doesn’t trust easily. Will give a cautious benefit of the doubt until trust is gained or destroyed

- Goals - Find the nomadic tribe he came from in the hopes he might be accepted by a culture he knows little about.

- Beliefs and Ideals - Family/Friends above all else - Can’t completely trust anyone you haven’t been in combat with - Intrigue and drama are tools of the job not for use elsewhere (wears heart on his sleeve)

- Potential enemies - Assassins guild

Keravath
2019-03-28, 08:19 PM
This is all great feedback. Thanks very much. Would it be better to just present something like this to the DM?:

- Raised from childhood by humans in an assassins guild

- Learned arcane magic from local elf

- Left the loneliness of former life behind to seek his original nomadic people

- Tends to be lighthearted and jovial in nature using humor as a defensive mechanism

- Always looks to make a friend first but doesn’t trust easily. Will give a cautious benefit of the doubt until trust is gained or destroyed

- Goals - Find the nomadic tribe he came from in the hopes he might be accepted by a culture he knows little about.

- Beliefs and Ideals - Family/Friends above all else - Can’t completely trust anyone you haven’t been in combat with - Intrigue and drama are tools of the job not for use elsewhere (wears heart on his sleeve)

- Potential enemies - Assassins guild

Honestly, that looks like an almost perfect summary of your story in terms of the character elements that are important to building the character and understanding how they will react in specific circumstances from a role playing perspective.

How the game itself will develop will depend on what sort of game is being run.

If you are joining a "homebrew" campaign run at the store then the DM may adapt story lines and incorporate elements of your background if he thinks it appropriate. However, stores might more often run D&D Adventurers League content which is based on a relatively large number of modules designed for play in a period of about 4 hours (ranging from 2 to 6 depending on the module, the number of players and what they decide to do).

Adventurers League characters are built using a specific subset of the character creation rules, and you get a log sheet on which to record the adventures you have played with that character. However, the character can be played in any adventurers league game of the appropriate tier (tier 1 - character levels 1-4, tier 2 - character levels 5-10, tier 3 -character levels 11-16 and tier 4 - character levels 17-20) anywhere in the world that these games are run (game stores, conventions, etc).

Since you don't yet know what sort of game you will be playing it is a good idea to figure out what sort of character you think they are but don't put too much time and effort into really detailed back stories (unless you really want to) since they may not actually come in to play.

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-28, 08:57 PM
What you wrote there was perfect. I wish everyone could do exactly that.

Great Dragon
2019-03-29, 02:59 AM
These are some good advice.

The only thing I would add is: put in a few more 'connecters' to other PCs.

His reluctance to trust others can make for awkward first encounters with the other players' Character(s), which can slow the game down. I'm sure that this was not the goal of his History, I'm just pointing it out.

Something like having at least one of the PCs as a contact (left open as to who, for ease of the DM) can make explaining why your PC is at the Starting Location.

Like was suggested, don't make too much detail for the Backstory, some things should come as a Surprise to both you and your PC.

Like who, exactly, is the Assassin hunting you for 'betraying' the guild.
Coming up with the race/name of the Guildmaster (and/or the guild's name) might be helpful, but don't be surprised if the DM uses their own Idea(s) for who these are.

Navmaxlp
2019-03-29, 05:56 AM
What you wrote there was perfect. I wish everyone could do exactly that.

Awesome. I was hoping to get somewhere in the ballpark but perfect will do :smallsmile: I appreciate all the help with this.

Honestly, that looks like an almost perfect summary of your story in terms of the character elements that are important to building the character and understanding how they will react in specific circumstances from a role playing perspective.

How the game itself will develop will depend on what sort of game is being run.

If you are joining a "homebrew" campaign run at the store then the DM may adapt story lines and incorporate elements of your background if he thinks it appropriate. However, stores might more often run D&D Adventurers League content which is based on a relatively large number of modules designed for play in a period of about 4 hours (ranging from 2 to 6 depending on the module, the number of players and what they decide to do).

Adventurers League characters are built using a specific subset of the character creation rules, and you get a log sheet on which to record the adventures you have played with that character. However, the character can be played in any adventurers league game of the appropriate tier (tier 1 - character levels 1-4, tier 2 - character levels 5-10, tier 3 -character levels 11-16 and tier 4 - character levels 17-20) anywhere in the world that these games are run (game stores, conventions, etc).

Since you don't yet know what sort of game you will be playing it is a good idea to figure out what sort of character you think they are but don't put too much time and effort into really detailed back stories (unless you really want to) since they may not actually come in to play.

To be honest I know nothing about it. I went into the store after seeing it on line and asked if they were doing a beginners event any time soon. He told me there was something coming up in a couple of weeks. I bought a handbook to get acquainted with the races and classes and to come up with some ideas for the characters so I would be prepared. I did go back to ask about things a bit but they were really busy getting ready for a book signing so I didn't get a chance. I'll just hold off and see what happens.

These are some good advice.

His reluctance to trust others can make for awkward first encounters with the other players' Character(s), which can slow the game down. I'm sure that this was not the goal of his History, I'm just pointing it out.

Something like having at least one of the PCs as a contact (left open as to who, for ease of the DM) can make explaining why your PC is at the Starting Location.

Like was suggested, don't make too much detail for the Backstory, some things should come as a Surprise to both you and your PC.

Like who, exactly, is the Assassin hunting you for 'betraying' the guild.
Coming up with the race/name of the Guildmaster (and/or the guild's name) might be helpful, but don't be surprised if the DM uses their own Idea(s) for who these are.

Thanks for the advice. I didn't know the DM would make up portions of things for me. I'll play the other PCs as if he is hoping they will be friendly with him so will sort of awkwardly be eager to engage. Call it a bit of a defense mechanism for myself. It will explain any awkwardness I feel trying something new with people I have never met. Eager to try it out but nervous putting myself out there.

Navmaxlp
2019-03-29, 07:00 AM

This would be awesome. Is there a way to do that generically since I don't know who or what the other characters will be? Is there a way, given this backstory that I could add that in there?

Great Dragon
2019-03-29, 09:59 AM
This would be awesome. Is there a way to do that generically since I don't know who or what the other characters will be? Is there a way, given this backstory that I could add that in there?

Edit - I was figuring that Voxx has the "Criminal" (maybe trained as a Spy?) background, and gave my above 'contact' Idea based on that. This does mean that because he gets "Thieves Tools" twice; you can trade one for another Tool (Disguise or Forgery Kit is nice) or Language.
Skills given: Deception and Stealth.
Perception skill from Elf.
Plus 4 skills from Rogue. Based on my take from your History, Suggested Skills: Investigation, Sleight of Hand, Insight, and Intimidation.
Pick two Skills (or 1 Skill plus Thieves Tools) for Expertise.
And your 1st level Rogue is done.
------
It is difficult with so many unknowns.
Depends on what kind of DM you get:

Some DMs will want to 'integrate' PCs into their World, working with players in creating Histories, and adding details as needed to fit their World;

Some DMs will encourage Players to make Histories for their PCs;

Some DMs won't worry about background details until they are important.

---------

In addition to the idea I gave:

1) Another PC is either related to - or perhaps a secret student/admirer of - either Emmerson and/or Pyria.

2) At least one PC might be someone that your PC met during a Test/Mission outside the guild.

3) One PC was on a Guild List (Minor Ally, Informant, or Foe) that your PC 'aquired' - or was given by Emmerson/Pyria.

You can even make a list with all of these, and let the DM chose which to use.
----
You could also put here the Idea List for both the Human Druid, and the Dwarf Cleric (Domain?)

If you can, include Backgrounds and - if you don't mind - a History Summery for each.

Navmaxlp
2019-03-29, 12:38 PM
Edit - I was figuring that Voxx has the "Criminal" (maybe trained as a Spy?) background, and gave my above 'contact' Idea based on that. This does mean that because he gets "Thieves Tools" twice; you can trade one for another Tool (Disguise or Forgery Kit is nice) or Language.
Skills given: Deception and Stealth.
Perception skill from Elf.
Plus 4 skills from Rogue. Based on my take from your History, Suggested Skills: Investigation, Sleight of Hand, Insight, and Intimidation.
Pick two Skills (or 1 Skill plus Thieves Tools) for Expertise.
And your 1st level Rogue is done.
------
It is difficult with so many unknowns.
Depends on what kind of DM you get:

Some DMs will want to 'integrate' PCs into their World, working with players in creating Histories, and adding details as needed to fit their World;

Some DMs will encourage Players to make Histories for their PCs;

Some DMs won't worry about background details until they are important.

---------

In addition to the idea I gave:

1) Another PC is either related to - or perhaps a secret student/admirer of - either Emmerson and/or Pyria.

2) At least one PC might be someone that your PC met during a Test/Mission outside the guild.

3) One PC was on a Guild List (Minor Ally, Informant, or Foe) that your PC 'aquired' - or was given by Emmerson/Pyria.

You can even make a list with all of these, and let the DM chose which to use.
----
You could also put here the Idea List for both the Human Druid, and the Dwarf Cleric (Domain?)

If you can, include Backgrounds and - if you don't mind - a History Summery for each.

I love all those ideas. I hadn't put a lot of thought into the specs and such but I do admit I was thinking of Voxx as kind of a a spy/hitman so that definitely fits into the mental image I had for him.

Now that you bring up the concept of having other PCs as a part of each others backstory I definitely hope that's the way the DM takes things. Makes things really cool and gets the players involved with one another straight off even if they have never met each other.

Great Dragon
2019-03-29, 06:16 PM
I love all those ideas.

Glad I could help.

I look forward to finding out how it goes and seeing your other PCs.

Navmaxlp
2019-03-29, 08:25 PM
Glad I could help.

I look forward to finding out how it goes and seeing your other PCs.

So here is a Human Druid named Stanek I worked on after Voxx. I won't post the long version. I'll just post the bullet point:

- Raised by nobles and, on a dare from friends, interrupted a druidic ceremony

- In the ceremony, he was accidentally transformed into a wolf, took part in a hunt with the pack and became addicted to the hunt and “kill thrill” in animal form. Eventually found he could transform at will.

- His addiction was discovered by parents and they sent him to the druids for training. He eventually learned to control the addiction with their help. (To be clear, this would likely be a separate set of druids than in the ceremony he disrupted)

- Looks at his nobility with disdain. Feels like others should be treated as equals and judged by their actions.

- Is able to use his air of nobility when needed but is embarrassed by it and prefers the company of common folk.

- Goals - Has gone off to adventure to both feed the kill thrill and discover the reason he was affected by the ceremony and not the intended druid

- Potential enemies - Intended druid at the ceremony he interrupted

- Potential allies - Druid circle he learned from

I have a Cleric as well I can post. I don't want to throw too much out there

Great Dragon
2019-03-30, 04:11 AM
@Navmaxlp

Other than the War Caster feat, I don't see any need to go Varient Human.
----

Ok looks like a few possible Backgrounds can be used.

1) Noble. Was he born into it - or adopted?
Does he keep the connection to the family, and the town/city they are in?
If not, you might want to see if you can get the Deception skill, to pull off those 'noble airs'.

2) Outlander. Being sent at a (fairly) young age to be trained by the Druids could have made the most impression on him.

3) Folk Hero. His desire to be 'loved by the people' can grant him Access to this.

Next, at least a suggestion for which Druid Circles are involved, as well as which Circle the PC wants to become (most likely Moon, for that wolf-fighting spirit) - might help.
-----
It's probably not needed, but you can do a little of the info for the Potential Enemy.

Race (name).

I see several possible Classes:
(NE to CG) Ranger (Monster Hunter) with Mage Slayer feat. Their hatred of your PC now extends to all spellcasters.

(Any Evil) Rogue (Assassin) with Skulker feat.
Your death will be quick and silent.
Even joining a deadly Guild is a small price to pay.

Warlock (Archfey, to stay connected to nature). Their thirst for power lead to some dangerous deal making; but once they have it, your punishment soon follows!

I have a Cleric as well I can post. I don't want to throw too much out there

One PC at a time is just fine.

Navmaxlp
2019-03-30, 04:48 AM
@Navmaxlp

Other than the War Caster feat, I don't see any need to go Varient Human.
----

Ok looks like a few possible Backgrounds can be used.

1) Noble. Was he born into it - or adopted?
Does he keep the connection to the family, and the town/city they are in?
If not, you might want to see if you can get the Deception skill, to pull off those 'noble airs'.

2) Outlander. Being sent at a (fairly) young age to be trained by the Druids could have made the most impression on him.

3) Folk Hero. His desire to be 'loved by the people' can grant him Access to this.

Next, at least a suggestion for which Druid Circles are involved, as well as which Circle the PC wants to become (most likely Moon, for that wolf-fighting spirit) - might help.

I definitely see him as like a trust fund kid. Raised to be noble but never really wanting to be. In my mind, he can easily pull it off. I don't remember the traits that go with the Noble background but that makes the most sense to me.

It's probably not needed, but you can do a little of the info for the Potential Enemy.

Race (name).

I see several possible Classes:
(NE to CG) Ranger (Monster Hunter) with Mage Slayer feat. Their hatred of your PC now extends to all spellcasters.

(Any Evil) Rogue (Assassin) with Skulker feat.
Your death will be quick and silent.
Even joining a deadly Guild is a small price to pay.

Warlock (Archfey, to stay connected to nature). Their thirst for power lead to some dangerous deal making; but once they have it, your punishment soon follows!

My head is swimming with possibilities here. Thanks for this

One PC at a time is just fine.

Yeah I didn't want to get ahead of myself.

Great Dragon
2019-03-30, 05:51 AM
I definitely see him as like a trust fund kid. Raised to be noble but never really wanting to be. In my mind, he can easily pull it off. I don't remember the traits that go with the Noble background but that makes the most sense to me.

Noble.
Skills: History and Persuasion.

Is accepted by other nobles, and can get an audience with the local Lord if needed.

Is assumed to 'belong' almost anywhere, and the "common" people go out of their way to keep the Noble happy.

My head is swimming with possibilities here. Thanks for this
😎
Heh. Might steal those for my game.

V-Human Ranger. (Outlander Background)
Sentinel feat at 4th lv.

Lightfoot Halfling Rogue. (Criminal Background)

Half-Elf Warlock. (Urchin Background)
Spell Sniper feat at 4th lv.

I love doing Character Creation.
And I have more time on my hands then ever before.
I don't know if I'll ever use all my Ideas.

Yeah I didn't want to get ahead of myself.
Take your time.