PDA

View Full Version : Magic Items gone wrong?

Volug
2007-09-30, 08:26 PM
This thread is dedicated to all those cool random Magic Items we now and love. The Rod of Wonder, The Deck of Many Things, cursed items, and such.

So here you post a time you or someone else used a Magic Item or Artifact even a cursed item. This can either be amusing or not, your choice.
----------
one time i was messing around with... The Rod of Wonder.... though technically it wasnt the Rod of Wonder that changed me into a freakin lizard.... It happened to be cursed and it so Happened to occur right at a climatic point. So we are in a big battle and i'm a freakin lizard....
-----------
anyone else have a funny story? i cant wait to see what we get from this. :smallbiggrin:

Guy_Whozevl
2007-09-30, 09:18 PM
I was DMing and had to roll treasure on the spot due to poor planning on my spot. I roll on the medium magic items table and get a 20. Looking at the item, I begin spazzing, "OMFG Talisman of the Sphere worth 9k *head explodes*!"

Well, maybe not that dramatic, but after that, I always prerolled magic treasure.

triforcel
2007-09-30, 09:32 PM
I've only played in one campaign where the Deck of Many Things was used. The Rogue of the party (well alright one of the rogues in the party since everyone but the cleric had a couple rogue levels) came up with the brilliant idea of offering random people in the bar to draw from the deck and then once their cards resolved, if they were still around, he would wager with them that they couldn't draw another card from it, which of course they couldn't. The end results were pretty amusing.

Volug
2007-09-30, 09:36 PM
I've only played in one campaign where the Deck of Many Things was used. The Rogue of the party (well alright one of the rogues in the party since everyone but the cleric had a couple rogue levels) came up with the brilliant idea of offering random people in the bar to draw from the deck and then once their cards resolved, if they were still around, he would wager with them that they couldn't draw another card from it, which of course they couldn't. The end results were pretty amusing.

*cough*....what was it?

Zincorium
2007-09-30, 09:37 PM
Deck of many things. These stories generally don't end well, but here goes:

After an immense battle, my dwarven barbarian/battlerager opens a chest in the enemy's siege engine and finds, among a few other things, a small ivory box with little pieces of paper. Not being literate and having no idea about magic items, he asks another party member (the rogue, by chance) and is told that "It's a deck of cards, you just draw a few."

Thinking quickly, he returns to his room where he stashed it and draws three.

First, balance. From neutral good he changes to chaotic evil. Then, Moon, for the full four wishes. Then gem, which at 50,000 puts him well above our current (substandard) wealth level.

So now you have the character everyone trusts and depends on changed to a dark, self-serving borderline psychotic, who is far more powerful and wealthy than anyone else around him. And nobody knows but him.

That got fun.

Deth Muncher
2007-09-30, 09:42 PM
I've been waiting for a topic like this...

So, in my last campaign, I got the "Ring of Random Action." Basically, it functioned much like the Rod of Wonder, but a lot sillier. Some "popular" results of its use were: Extending a sandstorm another 20 rounds, lighting a dry riverbed on fire (with the party cleric still in the riverbed), turning me (the halfling Sorceror) sand-colored, and that's just when I used it. One day that I wasn't there, the Cleric played my guy for revenge and did nothing but use the ring. He gave everyone herpes, summoned a midget on a steamroller, and made a bunch of Orcs think they were on fire.

slexlollar89
2007-09-30, 10:36 PM
this is a rod of wonder story, with a twist: the RoW was also a +2 heavy mace, that had a launcher for blast globes and darts inside the shaft, and the grip ould be twisted so the rod would fold up into a smal palm sized disk for concealment. It was used by the party Chameleon.

Due to an unfortunate set of circumstances, the assasin (who was highly notorius and also the son of Grazzt) had died, nd his soul had been called back into the body of a 6 year old girl (who had died of leprosy). The party was fighting an efreeti (with special powers) god king, and the assassin was angry because he could barely participate. So the Chameleon loaded him into his blast globe launcher, put a helmet on him, gave him a lance, and fired him at the Gargantuan Genie.

Once he was inside, instead of guts, there was a maze, and the player made it through with great dificulty before cutting his way out of the Genie's abdomen.

Roderick_BR
2007-10-01, 11:18 AM
Once I gave a Deck to my group. Among wishes, deaths, and imprisonments, they ended with 2 wishes. The fighter asked for something I don't remember.
The barbarian wished for an intelligent and talking mammoth... Yeah... I gave him a awakened mammoth (I think a huge elephant or something). It was fun for a while, because the mammoth ended smarter than the barbarian. Helped to keep him from killing himself out of sheer stupidness several times.

The other time was when my DM gave us a vorpal scimitar (with the 3.0 cheese), and a diamond that let us summon an elder earth elemental. We lost the sword due to some monster with mental powers making us lose it inside an underground lake, and the diamond we sold because the DM was bitching about it.