PDA

View Full Version : Magic Jar + Overchannel

TheUser
2019-03-28, 05:32 PM
I'm working on a build for a level 17 one shot and wanted to know how people think Overchannel (PHB 118) would work from body to body with the Magic Jar spell; which is to say, if a PC uses Overchannel, then switches to a new body, does the new host body start with a clean slate or does the Overchannel's counter from previous uses remain?

My initial thoughts are that since class features like spellcasting carry over from body to body, and hence the number of consumed spell slots as well (right?) then I assume your number of overchannel uses throughout the day also carries over.

I'm not really sure what would line up with the fantasy tbh (I am also going to talk it over with the DM) but I'm curious what the forum thinks.

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-28, 05:45 PM
I'm working on a build for a level 17 one shot and wanted to know how people think Overchannel (PHB 118) would work from body to body with the Magic Jar spell; which is to say, if a PC uses Overchannel, then switches to a new body, does the new host body start with a clean slate or does the Overchannel's counter from previous uses remain?

My initial thoughts are that since class features like spellcasting carry over from body to body, and hence the number of consumed spell slots as well (right?) then I assume your number of overchannel uses throughout the day also carries over.

I'm not really sure what would line up with the fantasy tbh (I am also going to talk it over with the DM) but I'm curious what the forum thinks.

If it was strictly a "body effect", then the Necrotic damage would be able to be mitigated by resistances or other effects. It isn't. To me, it implies that the necrotic damage is caused from something more internal, something from the magic or soul. I'd be inclined to say the Necrotic damage carries over, if there was an accurate/comfortable/simple way to reflect that.