PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Character Creation: Link

Hobbo Jim
2019-03-28, 09:13 PM
I am trying to create Link, from The Legend of Zelda (as if there is another Link). I know I saw a post a long time ago about it, but I didn't want to necro and have a few other thoughts and wanted to see what people now think.

My Criteria: Must have Navi in some form, Must use sword and shield, must be able to wear standard outfit, Only Navi can say words so only grunts and facial expressions from Link. I would also like to avoid obvious casting, but aura spells like from a Paladin I think would be acceptable.
Obviously the more traits the better, but those are the only core ones that I MUST have, everything else, like using bombs/arrows, being able to play an ocarina, etc is just bonus points.

So far the best way I've thought to get Navi is to go Pact of the Chain Warlock, with the sprite familiar. I have also considered 1 level in it and then go straight Fighter or Paladin. I've also considered hexblade, but that would make getting Navi hard. Mostly I'm just trying to figure out how to be the most "Link" (while still being useful, obviously)

Yunru
2019-03-28, 09:19 PM
You don't need a Fey patron to get the familiar, all Find Familiars can be one of the three spiritual types.
Sounds like an almost perfect fit for a Pact of the Chain Hexblade. Voice of the Chain Master for the talking, Hexblade for the weapon and outfit.

Hobbo Jim
2019-03-28, 09:53 PM
You don't need a Fey patron to get the familiar, all Find Familiars can be one of the three spiritual types.
Sounds like an almost perfect fit for a Pact of the Chain Hexblade. Voice of the Chain Master for the talking, Hexblade for the weapon and outfit.

Oh! That simplifies things. Guess I misread it at some point - thanks for pointing that out. Will edit.

8wGremlin
2019-03-29, 01:14 AM
But you should know that the warlocks pact powers don't come online until you reach 3rd level.
You patron could be Hexblade, and your pact would be Chain.

As for link not talking, you could make him a Ghostwise halfling. (casting spells is an odd one, as Ghostwise halfling can only speak telepathically)
Hexblade warlocks can wear light and medium armour, use a shield and weapon.

Take flute as a tool, from your background to play the instrument.

DarkKnightJin
2019-03-29, 01:16 AM
Off the top of my head(AFB).. Folk Hero background might net you an Instrument prof. If not, easy enough to sub a tool proficiency out for it.
Hexblade Chainlock would get you everything neede to wear the classic getup, and you could let Dex take care of the bit of AC with Medium armor, while you swing the sword with Charisma. Fluff it as "the hand holding the sword having Courage" or something like that.

As said, Voice of the Chain Master invocation for Navi speaking in your stead.
And I'd fluff Eldritch Blast as firing with the Hero's Bow. It's been done before, and it wouldn't be the last time it's been done.

Icaruscalls
2019-03-29, 01:38 AM
I played my own version of Link in a PotA campaign, I picked up Find Familiar via a feat. Since a celestial or fey bird feels close enough to Navi for me.

I picked Eldritch fighter since I'm used to Link having spells like Narus love and Dinns fire. But if you wanted to have less spells you could pick Paladin or a fighter subclass that doesn't use spells.

Mordaedil
2019-03-29, 01:55 AM
I don't think warlock fits Link's theme at all. He also doesn't have a sprite helper in most of the games.

I think just being a fighter with eldritch knight subclass and taking ritual caster if you absolute want to add Navi to your skillset as a familiar. Although you could also just get away with playing a ranger and getting all your powers from magical items, just like Link does.

DrKerosene
2019-03-29, 02:08 AM
I’m used to the green-tunic wearing Link from Ocarina of Time, so I think being able to cast Mage Armor, or being an unarmored Barbarian, might be on-theme.

I think taking a level of Rogue for the ability to take Expertise in Athletics (and maybe Acrobatics?) might also be on-theme, though I don’t think Thieve’s Tools normally make it into Zelda games.

If you want your Link to be effectively mute, he can’t cast any Paladin spells as they all require verbal components. Unless you used a (Favored Souls or Stone) Sorcerer build with the ability to Still Spell some Paladin spells.

I do think a Pact Of The Chain Hexblade is probably your best option.
-Fiendish Vigor and Armor Of Shadows don’t need to have obvious signs on your PC.
-Mask Of Many Faces may also allow you to play up that “mask wearing, or cross-dressing” disguise theme that Link usually has.
-Hexblade’s Curse could be treated as a reference to Z-Targetting (that lock-on feature).
-Pact can be with The Master Sword, or the Three Goddesses, or whatever.

Edit: For having visions from your ancestor, which I recall from one Zelda game, Aasimar may be on point too.

Mordaedil
2019-03-29, 04:08 AM
I feel like if you don't play an elf or at least half-elf, you are kinda just ignoring half of the character. Scrub abilities from other races if you want to, but Link is a pointy-eared elf-inspired character in all games. And left-handed in most.

Unoriginal
2019-03-29, 04:44 AM
Not all the Links are the same, but I suppose you want the one from OoT?

This video illustrates the differences between the Links pretty well (though it does some mistakes, like forgetting TP Link needs special magic boots to wrestle Gorons):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kM4IB7swnA

DarkKnightJin
2019-03-29, 05:27 AM
Not all the Links are the same, but I suppose you want the one from OoT?

This video illustrates the differences between the Links pretty well (though it does some mistakes, like forgetting TP Link needs special magic boots to wrestle Gorons):

To be fair, that was only to up his weight to tue point they didn't just shove him aside.
Nothing about TP's Iron Boots suggests they give superhuman strength.

DrKerosene
2019-03-30, 10:28 AM
To be fair, that was only to up his weight to the point they didn't just shove him aside.
Nothing about TP's Iron Boots suggests they give superhuman strength.

True, but if we start including magic items from Zelda games..., well, that’s the DMs problem.

elyktsorb
2019-03-30, 11:58 AM
I don't think warlock fits Link's theme at all. He also doesn't have a sprite helper in most of the games.

I think just being a fighter with eldritch knight subclass and taking ritual caster if you absolute want to add Navi to your skillset as a familiar. Although you could also just get away with playing a ranger and getting all your powers from magical items, just like Link does.

I mean, he has some form of companion that talks to him or helps him in his quest. (Strictly the 3d games) Though I'd also refute that he doesn't fit a Warlock, given Link has had a collection of spells, and in a lot of games he's granted his power/knowledge of weapons from the Triforce of Courage which is granted to him by one of the three goddesses (whichever one the green one is called, Fayrore?)

I'd say Warlock/Fighter for sure.