PDA

View Full Version : Running D&D for kids in a school setting.

Dankus Memakus
2019-03-29, 08:21 AM
So, I work in a daycare for a school in this daycare I have some kids that are around third grade to fifth grade that get extremely bored and I thought I would run a game of Dungeons & Dragons for the kids. The first obstacle, which was no killing was easily resolved by using elementals. My plan is to just have the elementals break into smaller elementals when defeated and run away. My main question now is how can I further simplify the 5e rules to fit kids better. Just so everyone knows I will most likely limit the kids to basic rules that are free on the Internet so the only classes available are wizard Klarich fighter and rogue. I want to keep the game as simple as possible, I will build the characters myself and Level them up as well to take that stress away from the kids. I toss around some ideas such as always taking the average of weapon dice, and Potentially spell attacks too. Please if anyone has advice for either making the rules or the role-playing elements more appropriate for children please let me know. I could also use any monsters that neither die nor bleed when they’re defeated they don’t have to be from 5e. I can re-skin as needed

Edit: Just a sidenote I most likely will limit cross bows due to their similarity to guns. Possibly bows As well I’m still on the fence but I’m already tiptoeing around the school to play the game in general and I’d like to avoid words such as fire or shoot in a context that could be taken as a gun

Scripten
2019-03-29, 08:25 AM
For kids that young, it may be a smart idea to look for age-appropriate systems instead of D&D? While most of the ones I'm aware of are not, there may be some free RPG systems that have what you are looking for and don't require extracting the violence out of a combat-centric game.

Dankus Memakus
2019-03-29, 08:29 AM
For kids that young, it may be a smart idea to look for age-appropriate systems instead of D&D? While most of the ones I'm aware of are not, there may be some free RPG systems that have what you are looking for and don't require extracting the violence out of a combat-centric game.

I would like to keep the combat as the group is mostly boys and they are in the thing such as that. I have talk to the school and elementals are a fine monster since no death is involved I have my plans for the players as well most likely always ending in their capture instead of death. The youngest kid is either nine or 10. I believe he could handle DND or something similar such as basic fantasy. They are all smart kids the simplification is really because I want to jump right into the game without much of a learning curve for more of a chance to get them hooked

Edit: On the point of being more simple. I thought about doing all damage rolls for them if anyone thinks that’s a good idea to streamline the game

jaappleton
2019-03-29, 08:31 AM
NewbieDM made a system called RPGKids that's ideal for kids ages 4-8. You might want to check that out.

Around age 8, depending on the child, they're capable of grasping most parts of 5E. Likely have to be reminded of certain conditions (What's associated with being 'grappled', 'prone', etc.)

I know two people that run D&D regularly for kids. One at a library, blogger SharnDM, one at his school, Ethan 'Mr. E' Schoonover. Both have had tons of success doing it, essentially by keeping things lite in combat (avoiding conditions), and when you introduce conditions one by one, really hammer it home. Hand out a sheet of what you're introducing so its there in front of them to read over when its not their turn. Remind them, 'Hey, this enemy is prone, so your melee attacks would have advantage against them.'

I'd stick with Pregen characters for awhile. Keep it simple. Character creation can be a bit daunting. Maybe session 0 could be you just asking them what they all want to be, and you make the sheets?

As DM, you're gonna need to do a bit more handholding than you would with a typical group.

Dankus Memakus
2019-03-29, 08:34 AM
NewbieDM made a system called RPGKids that's ideal for kids ages 4-8. You might want to check that out.

Around age 8, depending on the child, they're capable of grasping most parts of 5E. Likely have to be reminded of certain conditions (What's associated with being 'grappled', 'prone', etc.)

I know two people that run D&D regularly for kids. One at a library, blogger SharnDM, one at his school, Ethan 'Mr. E' Schoonover. Both have had tons of success doing it, essentially by keeping things lite in combat (avoiding conditions), and when you introduce conditions one by one, really hammer it home. Hand out a sheet of what you're introducing so its there in front of them to read over when its not their turn. Remind them, 'Hey, this enemy is prone, so your melee attacks would have advantage against them.'

I'd stick with Pregen characters for awhile. Keep it simple. Character creation can be a bit daunting. Maybe session 0 could be you just asking them what they all want to be, and you make the sheets?

As DM, you're gonna need to do a bit more handholding than you would with a typical group.

I actually planned on asking what character they want to make and building it on DND beyond and printing it out for them. I’m fine with holding their hand Bit more because I have taught a multitude of groups how to play the game and some people I have taught have struggled immensely so I think I would have the patience for it. Or at least I hope so :-)

Edit: Another thing I debated was to remove all skills and just use strength dexterity intellegence etc. checks for everything.

War_lord
2019-03-29, 08:47 AM
Have you cleared it with the school and has the school cleared it with parents? From the use of "grade" I assume you're in America, and from a member of my online group I know that the D&D "satanic panic" is still very much alive and well in parts of the US.

Lupine
2019-03-29, 08:48 AM
Edit: Another thing I debated was to remove all skills and just use strength dexterity intellegence etc. checks for everything.

I would not do that. I think that the ability to understand a little bit and be able to say "I did it! I figured out the rules!" is a pretty powerful feeling. I would keep it to very simple things, and certainly have the most intelligent and mature player play the cleric, and the next play the wizard, since spells can be confusing for some players. After that, I'd honestly let people play what they want, and teach them the rules. Be light on monsters that have conditions, and easy them into it. I recall that some online DM made a "before Phandelver" booklet that is basically a 'how-to' tutorial for D&D. That might come in handy.

Dankus Memakus
2019-03-29, 08:52 AM
Have you cleared it with the school and has the school cleared it with parents? From the use of "grade" I assume you're in America, and from a member of my online group I know that the D&D "satanic panic" is still very much alive and well in parts of the US.

I have met people that are still very afraid of the satanic panic. I don’t actually have to clear this with the parents because I don’t technically work for the school I work in the school. Since it is entirely voluntary, parents do not have to send their kids there and I can do this as long as it does not infringe on school rules. I also debated using basic fantasy just so Dungeons & Dragons doesn’t give bad vibes to any parents but I did talk to a few who just seem mostly fine that their kid is just not bored.

Edit: In all honesty if there is a parent who still believes in something like the satanic panic and gets me fired somehow, It’s fine I’m in college and it’s a minimum wage job so if I get kicked out over DND it’ll just be funny to me. I also wouldn’t say that the satanic panic is very alive here, at least where I live. We are in the south but I’ve not really encountered anyone in my area that even knows what the satanic panic really was. Maybe among certain groups or religions but I doubt it’s very prominent around my neck of the woods

jaappleton
2019-03-29, 09:06 AM
I recall hearing a tale of Satanic Panic.

Kids in a Catholic school in the late 80's were playing D&D in a little side room in the library. You know, one of those little side rooms with a table, couple chairs, glass windows and a door you can close. Basically for people working on projects that have to be in the library, but also have to be able to talk and discuss openly.

A nun walked in on them and asked what they were doing. She was livid, saying it was the devil, etc. The standard Satanic Panic response. The kids convinced her to sit down and actually watch. She went through the Monster Manual, and the party included a Paladin and a Cleric. They were FIGHTING evil, she say.

Fast forward to next week when she joined as a Cleric of her own, shouting "SMITE THE NONBELIEVER!" at an Arcanoloth.

No idea if any of it is true or not, but it still makes me laugh to think about.

Lupine
2019-03-29, 09:13 AM

Kids in a Catholic school in the late 80's were playing D&D in a little side room in the library. You know, one of those little side rooms with a table, couple chairs, glass windows and a door you can close. Basically for people working on projects that have to be in the library, but also have to be able to talk and discuss openly.

A nun walked in on them and asked what they were doing. She was livid, saying it was the devil, etc. The standard Satanic Panic response. The kids convinced her to sit down and actually watch. She went through the Monster Manual, and the party included a Paladin and a Cleric. They were FIGHTING evil, she say.

Fast forward to next week when she joined as a Cleric of her own, shouting "SMITE THE NONBELIEVER!" at an Arcanoloth.

No idea if any of it is true or not, but it still makes me laugh to think about.

Great Story. Mind if I steal it to tell to my friends?

jaappleton
2019-03-29, 09:23 AM
Great Story. Mind if I steal it to tell to my friends?

Go for it. I stole it to tell you all.

Dankus Memakus
2019-03-29, 09:24 AM

Actually the person I met had a very similar story to this. His mother was very VERY strict about it and his dad was less so but since they were all raised against the game he had some reservations. His dad caught them playing and threatened to tell his mother if they didn’t quit. They convinced the dad to watch, then play and the dad helped facilitate a secret d&d group eventually

Naanomi
2019-03-29, 09:41 AM
I run DnD club (now two groups) at my school... game playing is an evidence-based practice for improving social skills and problem solving in students with autism spectrum disorder; and for some of the students access to DnD club is one of the few incentives to keep them doing work during the week

Bjarkmundur
2019-03-29, 09:44 AM
I remember a lecture on youtube about this. See if you can find one.

PhoenixPhyre
2019-03-29, 09:52 AM
I run games for older kids (middle school and high school) at the school I teach at.

A few considerations:
* Attention span. Kids that age lack it, badly. Keep it to short punchy little scenarios with clear outcomes.
* Simplicity. I would prepare a lot of simple pregens, and find a simple adventure.

A quick search gave me https://www.dmsguild.com/product/245793/An-Ogre-and-His-Cake--Digital which can probably be adapted.

Naanomi
2019-03-29, 09:57 AM
I cleaned up the character sheet as well... took out alignment and ideal/bond/flaw... made a ‘what I can do in combat’ sheet for each character... laminated custom spell cards with simplified descriptions; make laminated Magic item cards; keep both on a key-ring for each character... use either marked poker chips or a laminated template w/wet erase markers to track HP, Spellslots, etc...

Of course the students I’m playing with have varying degrees of developmental disability, you may not need to scaffold so much

Vogie
2019-03-29, 11:24 AM
Remember you can twist DnD's fluff however you like - my girlfriend works at a Catholic middle school, and had the idea of taking her literature club through a one-shot of DnD based around the Hunger Games, with all magic transformed into technology and weaponry - (tech wizards, the druids are people who turn into Mutts, and the like). We're working on building it out now.

You can use the system for all sorts of things - Lord of the Rings theme, Disney hero themed, et cetera.