PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Gestalt evoker/scout feat suggestions?

SolarSystem
2019-03-29, 01:34 PM
Gestalt campaign. Decided on wizard(evoker)/scout with a general focus on rays to benefit from skirmish. I'm set on the classes, so, please, no suggestions to substitute for others.
Race: Fire elf (UA) giving +2 Int & Dex, -2 Con & Cha. GM allowed me to boost one of my rolls to 19.
Final scores: 14, 18, 13, 21, 15, 11

Prohibited schools: Illusion, Necromancy. (might change them)

Starting level 3. Somewhat short on cash for some reason (1200 gp + free starting package gear instead of 2700 gp from wbl table).
Primary weapon is MW composite (+2) longbow.

Feats (SB = scout bonus, WB = wizard bonus):

1. Point Blank Shot
3. Improved Skirmish
4. SB Precise Shot
5. WB Acidic Splatter
6 Energy Substitution
8. SB Improved Initiative
9. Piercing Evocation
10. WB Quicken Spell
12. ?, SB Quick Reconnoiter
15. ?, WB ?
18. ?
20. SB Danger Sense, WB ?

All books available.
If you have any other suggestions besides feats that would help this combo, please add them too.

Troacctid
2019-03-29, 01:56 PM
Spell Focus is not a legal wizard bonus feat. I would consider taking Acidic Splatter instead. It's a great vehicle for skirmish attacks, since you want to be at close range anyway, and it does more damage than the composite longbow while also being a touch attack. Of course it means you have to be taking acid spells, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem. Remember that a spell that makes multiple attacks, such as scorching ray, only gets the benefit of skirmish on the first attack, regardless of whether it hits or misses.

Point Blank and Precise Shot are good choices; I approve. Improved Skirmish is always solid as well. Arcane Thesis would help a lot with Quicken Spell, especially if paired with +0 metamagics like Energy Substitution (which incidentally also goes great with Acidic Splatter, making it easier to enable the reserve effect and netting the +1 CL for your spell). If "all books" includes Dragon Magazine, then Forceful Spell (D358) is one of my favorite metamagic feats on this type of build, forcing one target of the spell to make a saving throw or be stunned and knocked prone. The ceremonial feats Spellstrike and Bloodthirsty (D311) are fine choices as well; the former knocks targets prone unless they pass a Balance check, and the latter deals 1d6 extra damage to living creatures and heals you for the same amount. Both require you to add a 25 gp material component to the spell.

At some point you might want to try to get a talon scepter (MIC 210). It gives you an at-will swift action ranged touch attack AKA an extra skirmish every round.

Another one I like a lot is Attune Gem from Magic of Faerun. You can use it to make gems of true strike that you can activate as a free action.

vasilidor
2019-03-29, 01:58 PM
definitely look into reserve feats for your character (complete mage).

SolarSystem
2019-03-29, 02:15 PM
Spell Focus is not a legal wizard bonus feat.
That's what I get for relying on memory rather than actually looking up what's available. It feels like it should be available. Oh well.

I would consider taking Acidic Splatter instead. It's a great vehicle for skirmish attacks, since you want to be at close range anyway, and it does more damage than the composite longbow while also being a touch attack. Of course it means you have to be taking acid spells, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem. Remember that a spell that makes multiple attacks, such as scorching ray, only gets the benefit of skirmish on the first attack, regardless of whether it hits or misses.

Point Blank and Precise Shot are good choices; I approve. Improved Skirmish is always solid as well. Arcane Thesis would help a lot with Quicken Spell, especially if paired with +0 metamagics like Energy Substitution (which incidentally also goes great with Acidic Splatter, making it easier to enable the reserve effect and netting the +1 CL for your spell).

At some point you might want to try to get a talon scepter (MIC 210). It gives you an at-will swift action ranged touch attack AKA an extra skirmish every round.

Never actually looked at reserve feats before. Acidic Splatter certainly looks useful. Will read up on the rest in a moment.

Point Blank is pretty much mandatory since skirmish only works within 30 feet.
That scepter does look rather nice. Hopefully we'll be given more appropriate wealth by level while adventuring vs starting gold so that it's actually affordable.

vasilidor
2019-03-29, 04:44 PM
a few more thoughts:
point blank is ok-ish, but it is a requirement for precise shot which allows you to fire into melee without a -4 penalty or risk hitting allies. Invisible needle is also a good reserve feat for this type of build and piercing evocation or elemental substitution. with combining reserve feats with skirmish, you should be able to get decent DPR, not necessarily great, but decent, allowing you to save your actual spells for when you really need to lay down the hurt. past that you should look at various metamagic spells for ways of increasing your spell damage output.