PDA

View Full Version : The Voyage Home (and the Trials Along the Way)

Maloney
2019-03-29, 02:12 PM
Brexa Croix the Paladin/Sorceror (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1867791)

Index "Dex" the Wizard
(https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1863399)
Akal Freehold the Warlock (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1868930)

Vessel the Warlock (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1869839)

To give you a bit of plot background, your characters are all acquainted with one another, having gone on a year-long adventure together, where you were hired by a great Wizard to bring peace to the land by defeating the Dragon Rhem'a'lam'ma'd'ing'd'ong and his army of darkness, sealing off a portal to the Dragon Realm. You started off the mission for the sake of petty cash, but it has since become personal. With you is the leader of your band, the wise and powerful knight Lancelus Alimonious the Third.

The first thing I'd like you all to do is roll initiative.

charlesrwest
2019-03-29, 02:19 PM
Akal init: [roll0]

I agree about GM rolling of init. I would be happy to look them all up and pm you a paste block if it would be helpful.

Whiskeyjack
2019-03-29, 02:23 PM
Initiative: [roll0]

miinstrel
2019-03-29, 02:25 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/8f/9e/73/8f9e734918880e692fd74e1641a5d068.jpg
VESSEL (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1869839)
Lvl 10 Warlock (GOO)

Vessel stands nearly stationary beside his companions.

I would like to suggest Maloney rolls initiative for everyone on future encounters so we don't lose a full day waiting for the action order to bet set as people check in.

Concentrating: Hex

EDIT: Well look at that, 3 posts at once haha

Ser Bones
2019-03-29, 02:47 PM

Maloney
2019-03-29, 05:01 PM
The five of you, stalwart adventurers, once nothing more than whelps, stand in the presence of the grand Dragon Lord, Rhem'a'lam'ma'd'ing'd'ong. The fearsome golden dragon has made his intention clear: to consume the world for power. The five elemental crystals are in place, the trap has been laid and triggered. The Dragon Lord lie before you, his massive body taking up the whole of the grand Imperial Throne Room, spirits spilling out of the portal behind him, the tapestries on the walls ablaze. You've expended a volley of your greatest magical spells, fought as hard as you can, and the Knight Lancelus has dug his sword into the skull of the dragon, who rears up for a massive fireblast with the last of his energy.

Index, it's now your turn.

Ser Bones
2019-03-29, 05:22 PM
Their journey here had been rough and long. Index was finding his magical energies waning, he had expended many of his spells, and yes they had kept them alive and had done damage to the Dragon Lord. He watched as the Knight dug his sword into the skull of the dragon. As he watched it rear up, Index found himself studying the beasts scales, the shimmer of light off them, and the traits that he posited other dragons may share.

It wasn't till the beasts mouth filled with the orange light of flames that Index became aware of its fire breath. They had seen this telegraphed before and Index called out “Flames” he had cast his spells, surely he had to have cast protection from energy so as he scrambled to avoid the blast he found himself calculating to see if the spell was still in effect.

Maloney
2019-03-29, 06:08 PM
You protect yourself from the flames, and the rest of the party attempts to dodge out of the way.

Brexa: 9
Akal: 4
Vessel: 13
Index: 6

Brexa and Akal are caught directly in the blast, while the Knight puts his massive shield up to protect himself and Vessel. However, the flames wrap around the shield and burn Vessel as well. Index's Protection From Energy Spell protects him long enough to get out of the way of the direct blast, but a wayward blast puts him on the ground, leaving him prone yet unharmed.

Brexa and Akal take 60 points of fire damage, and Vessel takes 30.

Akal, it's your turn.

Whiskeyjack
2019-03-29, 07:15 PM
Just as a reminder, myself and everyone within 10 feet of me get +5 to all saves while I am conscious due to my Aura of Protection

Would it also be safe to assume I have access to Absorb Elements and/or we have bonus HP from inspiring leader?

Edit: second question

charlesrwest
2019-03-29, 07:30 PM
A single moment of distraction. That's all it takes.

Even as this battle came to it's conclusion, Sasha seemed to be loosing coherence. Her glowing manifestation started moving toward one of the element crystals like a moth drawn to flame.

"Sasha!
No!"

By the time Akal looked back at their hated foe, all he could see was a rapidly advancing wall of flame. Fear spiked and his only thought was "HOT".

Luckly, Sasha's power surged in response and he felt... Cold?

Reaction: Tomb of Levicutis
Gets 100 temp hit points and fire vulnerability that kicks in after damage from attack is absorbed. Already resistant to fire, so 70 temp hit points remain. Vulnerability/resistance cancel so just normal till ice fades.
Akal loses his turn though and is encased in ice.

Maloney
2019-03-29, 09:48 PM
Just as a reminder, myself and everyone within 10 feet of me get +5 to all saves while I am conscious due to my Aura of Protection

Would it also be safe to assume I have access to Absorb Elements and/or we have bonus HP from inspiring leader?

Edit: second question

[Whoops, my bad. Can you make sure to post all the relevant stats next time?]

Brexa, it is now your turn.

Whiskeyjack
2019-03-31, 10:26 AM
Brexa

"You dare?!" she cries as the flames wash over her shield and armor, forcing through and burning her. "Your reign ends now, and a new one begins!"

Brexa pushes forward through the heat, raises her sword, and swings agains the dragon; she then pulls the sword into a backswing and strikes again. Her weapon suddenly crackles with beautiful lightning, and Brexa shouts, "Sune guide my blade!" She rakes the crackling sword into the dragon's chest...and it becomes awash with menacing but holy light at the point of impact of the second attack.

Move up to the dragon.

Action: Attack with longsword. [roll0]

Damage: [roll1] slashing

Bonus Action: cast Thunderous Smite.

Second Attack from Extra Attack: [roll2] - if this fails I will use my Channel Divinity - Guided Strike to add +10 to the result. - unneeded

Damage: [roll3] slashing plus [roll4] thunder

If this second attack hits, I will spend a 4th level spell slot for Divine Smite on that attack as well: [roll5]

After this attack hits, the dragon must succeed on a Strength saving throw (DC 17) or be pushed 10 feet away from me and knocked prone, it also takes an additional 2d6 thunder damage, reflected in the second attack damage rolls below.

Maloney
2019-03-31, 12:25 PM
Holy light spreads from the wound made by your blade, which has now found purchase in the dragon's heart. All of you are blinded by this light as the entire beast begins to glow. The Dragon Lord's last words of Draconic curses are drowned out by a mighty chorus of spirits coming forth to close the portal to the Dragon Realm. When the light disappates, all that remains is the dragon's skull in the center of the now rebuilt throne room of the Ancient Kings. In the throne above you sits a figure you see present at the top of every one of these tapestries, the ancient Princess Ilira the Firehair. Her visage shimmers before you, her red hair flowing, her true form as the maid of Sune revealed. She floats over to you, smiling gratefully.

"Thank you for your effort, fair adventurers. You have traveled long and far, and I would be remiss if I did not reward your efforts. Children of Sune, heroes of the Ancient Kings, Dragon-slayers, I shall grant you all one wish each. What are your wishes?"

charlesrwest
2019-03-31, 01:09 PM
Akal is a little confused when he comes back to himself, but hears the God's words. He scrambles forward, all dignity forgotten in his haste and bows until his forehead touches the floor. He rises slowly and speaks both softly and hesistantly.

"Your grace, I have travelled far and wide to try to find a cure for my friend."

He makes a beckoning motion to his familiar. She becomes visible, a shining pixie like creature.

"Sasha here is a fragment of a god. An ancient god"

Akal gives a fond smile to his long time companion.

"And, as far as I have experienced, a kindly one. Yet her true name is lost, her power wanes and her lucidity wavers. Can you make one such as her whole? Or tell this humble servant how he can help?"

Akal bows again.

miinstrel
2019-03-31, 01:35 PM
Lvl 10 Warlock (GOO)

As the battle with the dragon raged, Vessel's attention was on the rift at the back of the chamber. So focused, he didn't notice the flames until it was too late, but they wouldn't stop him. The portal would be closed. As he was about to raise his hands to weave a spell, Brexa's blade slew the creature and the job was done for him in a flash of light as Ilira approached.

Vessel drops to a deferential knee before the princess, smoke still curling off its metallic shoulders. Its thoughts focus on her as it conveys its request telepathically, something its companions had grown accustomed to by now.
<Your Grace, this one asks that you seal this plane so beings not born of it may never again travel here to do harm.>

To the others' eyes, Vessel stares silently at Ilira.

Concentrating: Hex

Whiskeyjack
2019-04-02, 11:31 AM
Brexa

The charred knight sheathes her sword and takes a knee, her greaves clanking softly on the floor. "Your Grace, the Favor of the Queen of Love and Beauty be upon you," she begins, looking at the princess. "I wish...I wish the ability to restore justice to my homeland, to ensure that the Law is evenly applied, without some drawing undue benefit from their wealth or beauty. For it to be a place for all people to find solace from injury and know that wrongs will be rightfully addressed. As of now, they pay only lip service to the shallower beauties and justices, and justice is arbitrary at best. I...I do not know how you could give this gift," she adds. "But if even you have some knowledge on how I could make my homeland so, I would take that advice as a precious blessing."

Ser Bones
2019-04-02, 06:53 PM
Index was allowing all the others to ask their favors first. This was done for two reasons, one so he could understand their deeper desires when given such an offer. And the second was to consider his own wish. Index had very little he truly wanted, other than to continue his education. And this was a thought he had as the others wished to seal the plane off and other more important matters.

"I find myself at a lack of words to express myself." Index said truthfully. "My interest lay in learning more, furthering my education and study. But I am not sure if that is worthy of a wish of this caliber." He looked to his allies. "I wish to know more to continue to aid my allies in their adventures and the civilians we aid as well."

Maloney
2019-04-02, 07:31 PM
"What is fair is fair." The Princess smiles. Sasha starts moving about violently, her colours flashing vibrantly and violently, like you've never seen. "And you, fair Knight?"

The Knight Lancelus kneels before her. "My liege, all I wish for is an end to suffering."

She laughs incredulously, "Is that all?"

Lancelus chuckles, and you can barely keep from joining in the laugh, before he turns to stone. "No more suffering for you, my pet! And as for you four, your wishes are sure to come true as well! I'm afraid they're a little more complex, but I'll see what I can do for you!" She cackles as she turns into smoke, rising up into the ceiling and out of sight. The room is silent except for the flickering of candles up above for a moment, before the glowing form identified as Sasha begins shaking, humming, roaring. Red light fills the area before suddenly dissipating, dropping a human woman a few inches off the ground.

The dark-skinned woman, in what appear to be ancient robes, stands up, coughing, brushing herself off. She runs her fingers through her golden hair, sending dust caked in it up into the air.

"Akal, dear, I'm very grateful I was the first thing on your mind, but I really wish you'd have made any attempt to ask somebody more wise for advice before accepting a favour from an Ainur." She turns to the four of you. "Oh, my bad, introductions are in order. Name's Aeris. What is it you adventurers always say? 'Hail and well met'?"

Whiskeyjack
2019-04-02, 08:34 PM
Brexa

"What do you mean? What kind of advice? Obviously I doubt this is what the fair Knight wanted, but..."

Brexa walks over to the petrified knight and touches his brow gently. "Hmm, well, that was...literal," she frowns, concerned how her own wish might be misinterpreted - willfully or accidentally, through the lens of godhood.

"You must be Akal's friend," Brexa inclines her head politely at the new woman. "Good to see you in...a more ideal state?" she ventures.

charlesrwest
2019-04-02, 08:55 PM
Akal stares in shock, first at the goddess's betrayal and then at the woman apparently created from Sasha's fragment. He's travelled 15 years seeking a cure and it's clear that the being which has affected Sasha is no friend of theirs.

"Sasha? Is that truly you?"

His eyes narrow and arcane might gathers at his finger tips.

"Tell me. If you claim to be Sasha... Where did we break the cult of the frog king? How did we escape the city of Etlani? And what what was my daughter's name?"

Correct answers:
1. The swamps of Grolan
2. In an open barrel full of fish, breathing through a reed.
3. Catrina.

Maloney
2019-04-02, 09:01 PM
"Well at least somebody's happy to see me." Aeris smiles and reaches out a hand to shake with Brexa, coated in dust. "Also, Akal, wouldn't Catrina want you to show better manners when talking to an old friend?"

miinstrel
2019-04-03, 08:33 AM
Lvl 10 Warlock (GOO)

Vessel's head turns to stare at the kneeling statue as Ilira vanishes and pauses to reflect on its own request. What unseen harm might befall it too? Was it 'born' or would it be prevented from returning should it ever leave? Questions for another time...

Rising to greet the newcomer, Vessel broadens his telepathy to touch everyone's minds in the room.
<In five years, three hundred twenty eight days this one has heard adventurers say 'hail and well met' eleven times. This one is called Vessel and has yet to use this phrase since becoming an adventurer, though if it is customary it will begin to do so for greetings. Hail and well met, Aeris.

This one is curious, what domain do you claim power over? Are you still considered a goddess? This one has not met a deity and is unfamiliar with the appropriate level of deference. Please forgive this one if offense is caused.>

Maloney
2019-04-03, 10:40 AM
Index, your mind is suddenly filled with images of beings you now know are called Ainur. You see them coming into being in a formless universe, forming existence. You see the Weave itself coming into creation, its complexity overflowing your mind, causing your mechanical brain countless overflow errors. You shut down.

The rest of you see Index suddenly go dark, falling to the ground, before rising back up, glowing once more with a more reddish glow than normal.

Index, after your sudden restart, you feel different: you feel. The memories just placed in your brain are now simple, you understand the existence of the Ainur, the first spirits in the universe, before the Weave, before the gods. Instead of the formless data the memories granted to you were once, you now see vivid mental images, including Aeris and Illira, holding each others hands and dancing through a supernova, their sway sending clouds of phlogiston into vast crystal balls across the universe. As you attempt to analyze the image more deeply, you find yourself coming to an odd conclusion. You find it all beautiful. Deeply beautiful. You can't quantify this new feeling.

"Are you alright there, love?" Aeris asks.

charlesrwest
2019-04-03, 08:25 PM
My natural inclination is to point out that divination can cheat these sort of checks unless you have lots of questions but I don't think that would be fun so I am going to take her id at face value.

The sparks slowly fade from Akal's fingers as he realizes she actually is his long time travelling companion, healed at long last.

"Sasha! It is you!". He rushes to embrace her.

As he hugs her, he wonders aloud. "So your true name is Aeris! I sometimes wondered if we would ever see this day!"

miinstrel
2019-04-08, 10:09 PM
Vessel continues to stare at Aeris, awaiting an answer.