PDA

View Full Version : The orange barrier

Rogan
2019-03-29, 04:35 PM
Hello Playgrounders

There is something in my mind and I'd like to hear some oppinons:

The orange barrier at the foot of the stairs dispels all magic on anyone who passes through it.

It also physically prevents anyone but the dwarves-or those of us walking around in dwarf bodies-from entering this Middle Chamber.

So... Since you need to pass the barrier to enter the Middle Chamber, but non-dwarves can't enter... They can't pass the barrier, right? So no dispell for them?

What happens with someone polymorphed into a dwarf? Can you enter the Middle Chamber, but get exposed as a *insert real race her* as soon as you do so?

For maximum security, it would make sense to dispell first, check for dwarf second. But the way the text is written seems a bit uncear on this matter. What do you think? Loophole in the rules / security? Or simply another reader (me) with too much time to think and not enough comic to read?

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-03-29, 04:46 PM
The moment the first atom of the polymorphed person touches the barrier, the spell is dispelled and since they aren’t a dwarf anymore, they can’t cross the barrier

Grey Wolf

Rogan
2019-03-29, 04:55 PM
The moment the first atom of the polymorphed person touches the barrier, the spell is dispelled and since they aren’t a dwarf anymore, they can’t cross the barrier

Grey Wolf

So, you mean, someone with Polymorph online would be off worse than a regular human?

Human -> Can't pass -> won't get dispelled
polymorphed person -> Can pass a tiny bit -> gets dispelled -> can't pass anymore

KrankenWagon
2019-03-29, 05:02 PM
So, you mean, someone with Polymorph online would be off worse than a regular human?

Human -> Can't pass -> won't get dispelled
polymorphed person -> Can pass a tiny bit -> gets dispelled -> can't pass anymore

I'd assume the dispel would occur instantaneously and the person would not get far enough to be stuck in the barrier.

Rogan
2019-03-29, 05:11 PM
I'd assume the dispel would occur instantaneously and the person would not get far enough to be stuck in the barrier.

Fair enough. But do you think a polymorphed person would get a different treatment, than a regular human?
The pp getting dispelled (for passing the barrier a tiny bit) while the human can't pass at all, so he won't get dispelled?

And, what would happen to a dwarf, polymorphed into a human?

Fyraltari
2019-03-29, 05:23 PM
Fair enough. But do you think a polymorphed person would get a different treatment, than a regular human?
Yup: ‘‘Spy! Get him! You, get the Clan Elders to safety. You, secure all exits. You, get to the barracks and tell commander Rockbottom that ennemy agents using disguise magic have infiltrated the City. We’re going into Orange Alert. Move people, you’ve trained for this!’’

Meanwhile the regular human gets ‘‘Sir, you are not allowed in this area. You need to leave now. Also we’re going to want to know how you passed the security from the Outer Chambrer.’’

Rogan
2019-03-29, 05:27 PM
Yup: ‘‘Spy! Get him! You, get the Clan Elders to safety. You, secure all exits. You, get to the barracks and tell commander Rockbottom that ennemy agents using disguise magic have infiltrated the City. We’re going into Orange Alert. Move people, you’ve trained for this!’’

Meanwhile the regular human gets ‘‘Sir, you are not allowed in this area. You need to leave now. Also we’re going to want to know how you passed the security from the Outer Chambrer.’’

Another fair point. But thats not the barrier reacting, those are the guards.
My question is: Will the barrier dispell a polymorved human, but not the same human, with the same buffs, exept the polymorph?

Peelee
2019-03-29, 05:31 PM
Another fair point. But thats not the barrier reacting, those are the guards.
My question is: Will the barrier dispell a polymorved human, but not the same human, with the same buffs, exept the polymorph?

The barrier will dispel all magic. The barrier will not allow non-dwarves to pass. I think you're trying to make this more complicated than it is. Imagine the effects are separate and activate constantly and continuously as long as something is in contact with the barrier, why not.

KrankenWagon
2019-03-29, 05:32 PM
The barrier will dispel all magic. The barrier will not allow non-dwarves to pass. I think you're trying to make this more complicated than it is. Imagine the effects are separate and activate constantly and continuously as long as something is in contact with the barrier, why not.

We can also assume that polymorph does not fool the barrier

Rogan
2019-03-29, 05:45 PM

Oh, I can see it working that way. However, the wording is "dispels all magic on anyone who passes through it"
So, if you can not pass through the barrier, it can not dispel you.

Yeah. I might put too much emphasize on this formulation. It might functionaly be "dispel everyone touching it" like you suggest it. I would be fine with it. But I'd like to know if this alternative interpretation (you actualy have to pass it before the dispel takes place) is valid.

You see, in my mind, passing something sounds like success.
If you passed the barrier, you did it, you are on the other side.
Of course, you can try to pass it, but fail (like a big truck trying to pass a narrow bridge and getting stuck)

Maybee, it's becourse english is not my first language. Maybe, I'm a bit pedantic. Quite possible.
I'm not trying to prove you wrong. I simply want to present my line of thought and get some different points of view.

Jasdoif
2019-03-29, 06:01 PM
But I'd like to know if this alternative interpretation (you actualy have to pass it before the dispel takes place) is valid.There's no way to know unless/until someone tries it in the comic. I'm quite confident the Exarch is loosely describing the magical effect, not stating verbatim the game-mechanical details behind its operation.

Rogan
2019-03-29, 06:06 PM
There's no way to know unless/until someone tries it in the comic. I'm quite confident the Exarch is loosely describing the magical effect, not stating verbatim the game-mechanical details behind its operation.

Correct me if I am wrong, but you are saying, it is a possible (but unlikely) interpretation. Right?

Jasdoif
2019-03-29, 06:23 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but you are saying, it is a possible (but unlikely) interpretation. Right?Nothing supports that interpretation, especially because it makes little sense for the barrier to be doing anything after people are completely past it...but it's not strictly impossible, no.

Bilbo Baggins
2019-03-29, 07:31 PM
I think the simplest explanation is that the barrier is smart enough that a polymorph wouldn't fool it. That way no non-dwarf trying to pass through (whether polymorphed or not) would be able to get past, nor would they be dispelled.

Gluteus_Maximus
2019-03-30, 02:04 AM
Oh, I can see it working that way. However, the wording is "dispels all magic on anyone who passes through it"
So, if you can not pass through the barrier, it can not dispel you.

Well, what would be the point of dispelling effects on a spellcaster that can't enter or harm you anyway?

The way I see it, the barrier is basically just a wall to those who can't pass--dwarves--and non-dwarves can't make it past touching it as with the Anti-Life Shell or the unnamed yellow barrier at the Godsmoot. The dispelling effect only applies if you can cross it to begin with, who can come into contact with the inside of the barrier. I find no reason to believe that a non-dwarf can even attempt to pass- unless the Loki Sucks Hammer gives some aura of "is a dwarf" or something.