PDA

View Full Version : Imposing the "surprised" condition

FrancisBean
2019-03-29, 05:55 PM
This thought came to me via another thread, but I didn't want to hijack it for this question.

I've long thought that surprised should be handled in 5e as a combat condition, just like restrained, incapacitated, etc. One of the few differences is that combat conditions are things a PC can impose, while only the DM adjudicates surprise. So let's play with that.

Suppose we had a spell, Momentary Amnesia, which briefly made a target forget where they were and what they were doing and why. Not for long, just for a round. Say, Enchantment school, 30' range, Components VSM but no cost, instantaneous duration, single target you can see, Wisdom Save to nullify; and the spell imposed the surprised condition for that target's next turn. (No reactions until after that turn; no action, movement nor bonus action for that turn.) I'm thinking Wizard, Bard, Warlock, and maybe Sorcerer spell lists.

Just how powerful would that actually be? I.e., what level would you put on that spell?

I'm not sure what other situations might also impose the same penalty. 5e surprise makes it impractical to give the benefits of surprise to a new combatant unexpectedly entering the fray, for example. (I've sometimes given advantage to a new attacker arriving out of the blue.) I could see a few specialized magic items, but it's hard to come up with good justifications for them. Any ideas?

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-29, 06:02 PM
The primary concern is that it voids the target's turn, which means no chance to change their circumstance or retaliate. It might as well be a temporary version of the Incapacitated Condition.

Or, basically a temporary, Concentration-less Tasha's Laughter. So....level 1 or 2?

CheddarChampion
2019-03-29, 06:02 PM
One target, one round, Wis save, sounds like a first level spell.
Compare to command, which can disrupt more.

FrancisBean
2019-03-29, 06:28 PM
The primary concern is that it voids the target's turn, which means no chance to change their circumstance or retaliate. It might as well be a temporary version of the Incapacitated Condition.

Huh. I thought the main concern people would have would be an Assassin Rogue with a spellcasting partner to throw it every round. Sustained nova-grade damage and all that.... I don't actually think it's as bad as that sounds, but that's where I thought people would go. You've got a good point, though. It'd be a very good time to be playing an 18th level UA Samurai!

MikeRoxTheBoat
2019-03-30, 03:52 PM
Huh. I thought the main concern people would have would be an Assassin Rogue with a spellcasting partner to throw it every round.

True, but...you can already do that with hold person, with the added benefit of being any type of rogue.

Dalebert
2019-03-30, 06:27 PM
Not getting to act? How is that different from stunned?

TIPOT
2019-03-30, 06:37 PM
Not getting to act? How is that different from stunned?

Slightly different immunities (some things are immune to one but not the other) and stunned gives advantage to attackers. It's generally a bit of a downgrade.

Dalebert
2019-03-30, 07:25 PM
Slightly different immunities (some things are immune to one but not the other) and stunned gives advantage to attackers. It's generally a bit of a downgrade.

Sorry, right. It's more like incapacitated except you also can't move. This is what Hypnotic Pattern does. I don't see the need to make up a new condition to explain the mechanics (incapacitated and can't move). it just seems overly complicated. The rest is just fluff-the explanation of why they're that way. Just make a spell and describe what that spell does.

sithlordnergal
2019-03-30, 09:05 PM
Outside of making the Assassin's ability actually usable? I'd say it wouldn't change anything, and I do like the idea of making the Assassin something that can be used. 4 years of playing 5e, both as a DM and as a Player, I have only seen an Assassin get to use Assassinate once, because all the other times the opposing party was alerted to the party because the fellow in Heavy Armor with a -1 Dex failed their stealth check, or the Bard tried to talk to their enemy.

As for the spell level, I'd make it 1st level, and allow it to target one extra creature per spell level like Command does