PDA

View Full Version : Help me figure out a M&M adventure!

CaretakerJack
2019-03-29, 07:22 PM
Hi! I'm new, and I wanted some help with some Mutants and Masterminds plots for a supervillain I wanted to play with for my old rpg group:
Essentially, it's a mutated, half mad (but soft spoken) super scientist confined to a hover chair thanks to an accident in his lab, twisting his appearance into a twisted sea mammal form.

Any ideas will be deeply appreciated and will help me a hell ton for me writing the series.
Questions are welcome also!

Sir_Chivalry
2019-03-30, 08:18 AM
Well I think the general plots that Professor Manatee can indulge in include:

Turn everyone into manatees

Try to steal rare tech or components so he can reverse the transformation

The monster within wants to separate from him and remove the icky human parts

He kidnaps an aspiring country singer and confines her to his catacomb lair so he can make her his bride

Create a doomsday device to destroy all boat propellers

Kid Jake
2019-03-30, 09:09 AM
Create a doomsday device to destroy all boat propellers

Don't be ridiculous. His doomsday device should BE a boat propeller.

Beleriphon
2019-03-30, 10:47 AM
Don't be ridiculous. His doomsday device should BE a boat propeller.

That's ridiculous. The dooms day device is a giant space boat, that pulls the Earth slightly closer to the Sun increasing overall global sea temperatures into the range that is comfortable for a manatee.

Dude's gotta be cozy yo.

Drakeburn
2019-03-30, 11:45 AM
When he hears about a treatment that may be able to cure him, the mad scientist turns to piracy to get enough money for the treatment (that may or may not work).

Kidnaps random people to mutate them into human/sea mammal hybrids so that he doesn't feel like he's the only one of his kind.

Beleriphon
2019-03-30, 04:03 PM
When he hears about a treatment that may be able to cure him, the mad scientist turns to piracy to get enough money for the treatment (that may or may not work).

Commodore Man-atee?

Kidnaps random people to mutate them into human/sea mammal hybrids so that he doesn't feel like he's the only one of his kind.

That one sounds suspiciously like a comic book I read recently.

Son of A Lich!
2019-03-30, 04:24 PM
... Have I ever GMed for you before?

One of my recurring villains I fall back on in a pinch is Boss Walrus - who is a super-genius walrus that lures heroes into his high rises and nullifies their powers to demonstrate that he IS the superior species on earth.

I played around with him being a scientist who transferred his mind into a walrus around 2009 or so to save his life, but then ret-conned that when I left the pulpy stuff behind.

It just... sounds really familiar...

Drakeburn
2019-03-31, 11:40 PM
That one sounds suspiciously like a comic book I read recently.

Really? Pretty funny coincidence, since I rarely read comic books.

Ken Murikumo
2019-04-01, 08:43 AM

I would avoid the first part of this in M&M because all it would take is a few points in wealth for a hero to bankroll his treatment, completely defeating this villain permanently. But he IS kinda crazy so maybe not.

Instead lets, merge these two and say he's kidnapping people to try and cure himself using the kidnapped people as test subjects. First he has to recreate the conditions that mutated him, creating a plethora of mutated creatures to be used as needed in the plot; then he needs to create the cure for himself. Both of which require time, money, and rare/special maguffins.

CaretakerJack
2019-04-01, 11:41 AM
Lord these are good,
Really surprised me honestly, I like the cure and kidnapping then mutating idea, some if his henchies could be those said victims/"volunteers" (maybe some people had something wrong with them or something and ended up on Dugongs table?)

And that's a no on the boss whale I'm afraid, I am somewhat new to throwing a M&M adventure but I do know most of the system off by heart though haha

Metahuman1
2019-04-02, 10:57 PM
Well, since he's kind of mad... ... ...

Build a giant robot that links up to his brain, so that he can go back to pursuing that Tap-Dancing Career he always wanted, no matter HOW much property damage it causes.

Build a device that shrinks any ship or boat with a propeller down to small bath toy scale as soon as it touches water, and anyone who happens to be on it. Never again will Manatee's fear the surfaces propellers!

Speaking of the surface, attempting to preform a coup d'état in Atlantis, possibly with an eye toward taking over the world with there advanced and/or magically powered army's.

Or maybe he's developed a machine to allow him to take total control of Cthulu, and he's trying to use it to acquire the great old one's power.

Beleriphon
2019-04-03, 05:52 PM
Really? Pretty funny coincidence, since I rarely read comic books.

I think its more that its a pretty common trope in comics. I can't put my finger on it, but I've seen something similar a few times. Not necessarily the aquatic mammals/sea life angle but the making more of their kind being a villainous plan because they're lonely.

Pictogram
2019-04-06, 11:48 AM
https://venturebrothers.fandom.com/wiki/Douglas_Ong?file=Dr_Dugong.jpg Hate to call ya out here but this character is from The Venture Bros.

Drakeburn
2019-04-07, 12:22 PM
I would avoid the first part of this in M&M because all it would take is a few points in wealth for a hero to bankroll his treatment, completely defeating this villain permanently. But he IS kinda crazy so maybe not.

Instead lets, merge these two and say he's kidnapping people to try and cure himself using the kidnapped people as test subjects. First he has to recreate the conditions that mutated him, creating a plethora of mutated creatures to be used as needed in the plot; then he needs to create the cure for himself. Both of which require time, money, and rare/special maguffins.

With the first part, I said the cure may or may not work. So even if the heroes do bankroll the treatment, the cure might not actually do anything, works temporarily before he turns back into his mutated self, or the cure might cause him to mutate even more.

Though I do like the idea that combines the two.