PDA

View Full Version : Loxodon and Armor

KyleG
2019-03-30, 05:35 AM
If Con represents your ability to take a hit and Dex to avoid getting hurt and a Loxodon's Natural AC unlike everyone elses is based on Con. Is there justification for any armor they wear ALSO uses Con as its modifier?
So instead of natural Armour, scale armor would use 14+con modifier (Max +2).

The Loxodon isnt naturally dextrous and the character should reflect this but this would hinder their armor options.

Unoriginal
2019-03-30, 05:49 AM
No, there is no justification for it.

EDIT:

If you're a DM who wants to try it, then try it, there is no need for justifications beyond "I want to try it".

Maelynn
2019-03-30, 06:03 AM
Is there justification for any armor they wear ALSO uses Con as its modifier?

No, because the armour itself states what modifier can be used, as you can check in the PHB. Light and medium armour allow a Dex modifier to be added, heavy armour allows none. It's not the race that determines it, but the item.

The only way you could get a Loxodon to wear armour that allows a Con modifier to be used, is if your DM homebrews it as a special (magic) item for you.

Chronos
2019-03-30, 08:03 AM
Getting AC from Con isn't unprecedented, because barbarians (of any race) can do it, too. Thematically, it represents how thick your hide is, making your skin effectively like a suit of armor (which also allows you to use your Dex to dodge things). You can, if you choose, replace that natural armor with manufactured armor (which might or might not also allow you to use your Dex to dodge things).

Unoriginal
2019-03-30, 08:55 AM
Getting AC from Con isn't unprecedented, because barbarians (of any race) can do it, too. Thematically, it represents how thick your hide is, making your skin effectively like a suit of armor (which also allows you to use your Dex to dodge things).

I call that "blocking with your guts".

KyleG
2019-03-31, 04:01 AM
So what defensive options would a large bulky Dex 10 Loxodon have? Preferably without shield.
Natural Armor is 12+3 Con at level 1.

Unoriginal
2019-03-31, 04:03 AM
So what defensive options would a large bulky Dex 10 Loxodon have? Preferably without shield.
Natural Armor is 12+3 Con at level 1.

Which class is the Loxodon?

KyleG
2019-03-31, 05:27 AM
Which class is the Loxodon?

My bad...he is a druid.

Unoriginal
2019-03-31, 05:35 AM
My bad...he is a druid.

Then 15 AC is sufficient. Barkskin is hardly worth the investment, and armors won't put a druid at higher either.

Which subclass do you intend to take?

KyleG
2019-03-31, 11:07 AM
Then 15 AC is sufficient. Barkskin is hardly worth the investment, and armors won't put a druid at higher either.

Which subclass do you intend to take?

Haven't settled on one yet. Probably not moon. But with 14/10/16/8/16/10 I was trying to make him as physically able as possible. He is a frickin 7ft 4 tank, but in a nonphysical class.

Unoriginal
2019-03-31, 11:12 AM
Non-Moon Druids aren't good tanks, that's a fact.

Loxodon have the advantage of using one stat to augment their HPs and their AC, though.

KyleG
2019-03-31, 01:22 PM
Non-Moon Druids aren't good tanks, that's a fact.

Loxodon have the advantage of using one stat to augment their HPs and their AC, though.

Tank is more of a physical descriptive word here than a class description. Although I wonder whether I should consider a one level dip in something more martial to go with the
Croc Dundee/steve Irwin/Indiana Jones vibe I want him to have.

At level 4 im pretty sure I would either +2 Con or Tough feat.

Maelynn
2019-04-01, 04:21 AM
At level 4 im pretty sure I would either +2 Con or Tough feat.

The Tough feat only gives you extra hp, but does nothing for your AC. Between the two, +2 Con gives both additional hp as well as +1 AC to your natural armour.

If you do want to look at feats, then maybe Durable would be interesting for you. Only downside is the possibility of ending up with an odd-numbered Con stat.

KyleG
2019-04-01, 05:01 AM
The Tough feat only gives you extra hp, but does nothing for your AC. Between the two, +2 Con gives both additional hp as well as +1 AC to your natural armour.

If you do want to look at feats, then maybe Durable would be interesting for you. Only downside is the possibility of ending up with an odd-numbered Con stat.

True. Hence im really not sure which to take.