PDA

View Full Version : EK Multi at level 2?

Synche
2019-03-30, 07:05 AM
Thinking about multiclassing at fighter 2, just hit level 3. I was planning on going EK and grabbing wizard later (final 11/9 split) but the more I think about it, I feel like rituals are going to be super useful grabbing them now adds a lot of utility. Anyone have any reason why this is is a bad idea?

Current party is 2 druids, grave cleric, bard, and a rogue/sorc

Nhorianscum
2019-03-30, 07:12 AM
Thinking about multiclassing at fighter 2, just hit level 3. I was planning on going EK and grabbing wizard later (final 11/9 split) but the more I think about it, I feel like rituals are going to be super useful grabbing them now adds a lot of utility. Anyone have any reason why this is is a bad idea?

The party already has 3 ritual casters. I'd stuck to EK till 7 at the earliest unless you just really need floating disk fsr.

CheddarChampion
2019-03-30, 07:13 AM
When the party gets to level 5 you'll be behind - versatile but lacking power. This will happen at other key levels too.
Like any multiclass it's a trade-off. This one particularly so.

Arkhios
2019-03-30, 07:40 AM
I'll echo with others, since you started with a martial class (or more specifically, barbarian, fighter, monk, paladin, or ranger), it's best to delay multiclassing and wait until you have obtained Extra Attack, because that's where the martial prowess lies at 5th level. After that? Basically up to you.

CTurbo
2019-03-30, 10:03 AM
I would not mutliclass FROM Fighter until after level 5 at the very earliest and you get a bonus feat/ASI at level 6, and at level 7, you get the very good War Magic feature so really I could see waiting until after level 7.

For Dex Fighter, I'd go Bladesinger. For Str Fighter, I'd go Abjurer.

McSkrag
2019-03-30, 12:25 PM
EK 11 / WIZ 9 is a solid plan.

As others said, level 5 EK is a big milestone since that get's you your extra attack.

But taking a single level of Wizard early has a lot of benefits like fmailiars, extra cantrips, spellbook, rituals, extra spells known.

Personally I think having those extra wizard abilities makes the journey to level 6 much more fun since you have a lot more things you can do in and out of combat. Delaying extra attack 1 level is not that big a deal.

But I wouldn't take more than 1 level of wizard before you get to EK 5.

You really can't go too wrong with this build. It's more a matter of what's fun for you to play.

Bloodcloud
2019-03-30, 12:45 PM
Only if you have access to scag cantrips. They will get better at level 5, making the lack of extra attack less painfull. If they are not allowed in your game, wait. If they are, you can consider it.

bid
2019-03-30, 01:43 PM
Only if you have access to scag cantrips. They will get better at level 5, making the lack of extra attack less painfull. If they are not allowed in your game, wait. If they are, you can consider it.
He'd get cantrips from EK 3, so there's no gain here.

Ok, there's some minor gain but 2*1d8+3+2 is still barely better than 2d8+3+2+1d8.

djreynolds
2019-03-30, 08:52 PM

I'm in favor of grabbing wizard now, because of BB and GFB can carry you.

But the class split is off. Eldritch knight needs to be taken in 3 levels for spell slot progression.

So IMO, obviously 7th level war magic is wanted. So you could go 9 eldritch knight, or go to 12th.

12th EK and 8 wizard would be a good build, you will lose out on actual 5th spells, but spell progression will stay the same and you get another feat.

You want 10th level for eldritch strike, 11th 3rd attack, and 12 for spell slots and a feat.

Good luck