PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Need help with building an optimize non front line cleric

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-03-30, 07:50 AM
Hello guys :)

In our home game the Cleric player have a problem.
He want to play a Healer/Battlefield Control but he doesn't want to be at the front line.
We are at level 5, now he is an Arcane Cleric VHuman.

His problems are that:
1) All the Cleric Domains we looked at look like tanks.
2) He don't like the idea of a Healer(our only one) in the front line.
3) He like the Cleric spell versatilty

The only limits are no UA, no homebraw and Druids are like witches in the middle age(A PC can be a Druid but there will be problems).
If the only thing that will help is in UA we will try to talk to the DM so he will allow it.

Any idea will be welcome.

jaappleton
2019-03-30, 08:04 AM
Well, having high AC doesn't mean you need to be on the front line. Medium Armor and a Shield, which all Clerics have proficiency with, is still pretty darn good AC. Nothing means you need to go to the front, or stay in the back.

Ones that get 'Potent Spellcasting' at lv8 can still be in the front if you want to, or in the back. Either one works, depending on how you build it. However.... Some of their best spells, their absolute best (especially levels 5-10, where most campaigns are played), REQUIRE you to be near the front. Spirit Guardians is an excellent example. Its pretty much exclusive to Clerics, and its an ally-friendly AoE (A true rarity), and you can't really make use of it if you aren't in the front lines because its creates an area around you. If there's no enemies nearby... What's the point?

I need to say something about 'Healing' in 5th Edition, though. And this is 100% true, ask anybody:

In 5th Edition, it is better to prevent damage than to heal.

Now, how should the Cleric go about preventing damage? If you're Tempest, blow enemies to Hell and kill them. Dead enemies can't attack. If you're Light, you have Warding Flare to make enemies miss, and Fireball to burn them dead. If you're Arcane... Here's the problem: Arcane Clerics are designed for versatility and utility. NOT for damage or control.

If you're willing to let them swap domains, I highly suggest you look at Order Domain. It was released in Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica, but should be applicable to any campaign setting. It was released as Unearthed Arcana first, so if you don't have the book, you can check it out there to get a good sense of how it works if you don't want to buy that book just for that one thing.

EDIT: In all honesty, if the player wants control and healing? BARD. Sincerely. Bard, especially Lore Bard. Cutting Words can save lives and prevent hits, they can heal just as well as any Cleric (except Life Domain), and their spells are made for Control. Things like Hypnotic Pattern win encounters before they happen.

stoutstien
2019-03-30, 08:24 AM
Second order domain or grave even. If your DM like skills then knowledge is just so flexible it's hard not to find a way to be helping out in any situation.

sophontteks
2019-03-30, 08:34 AM
Just have them play a shepherd or dream druid.

jaappleton
2019-03-30, 08:41 AM

I highly advise against Shepard.

It's not bad. It's not weak. In fact, it can be VERY powerful.

HOWEVER, if not handled correctly, a players turns can easily take for-freakin-ever as they pour over monster stat blocks, roll to hit for everything, etc.

I only ever recommend Shepard for fairly experienced players, with tables that have a cohesive method for handling summoners. One recommendation I found was to have every player control some of the summoned allies, so everyone feels involved during the Druid's turn, which is now taking 4X longer than any other character.

sophontteks
2019-03-30, 09:15 AM
I highly advise against Shepard.

It's not bad. It's not weak. In fact, it can be VERY powerful.

HOWEVER, if not handled correctly, a players turns can easily take for-freakin-ever as they pour over monster stat blocks, roll to hit for everything, etc.

I only ever recommend Shepard for fairly experienced players, with tables that have a cohesive method for handling summoners. One recommendation I found was to have every player control some of the summoned allies, so everyone feels involved during the Druid's turn, which is now taking 4X longer than any other character.
The DM can always just play hot and loose using special rules for large groups. DM controls them, player just gives general orders like "go attack X." They all move on the same initiative and attack together.

CTurbo
2019-03-30, 09:35 AM
The Light Cleric is easily my favorite NON-heavy armor Cleric. It's a pretty blasty domain that can also heal and buff, but is not exactly overflowing with battlefield control.

Ironically, the domain that probably does best on the frontline is also the one with some of the best control spells. I'm talking about the Tempest. Tempests get heavy armor but you can still focus on Dex and use light or medium armor if you want, sit in the back and blast away while also tossing out buffing and control spells as well.

Keravath
2019-03-30, 10:14 AM
He can easily be a ranged arcana cleric if he wants. He can pick up firebolt and shocking grasp (or chill touch) as his extra wizard cantrips. Take toll the dead and/or sacred flame and guidance as starting cleric cantrips then use the support spells like bless to help the team while standing back and casting either spells or cantrips the rest of the time. Guiding Bolt is a good first level ranged spell. Blindness is a good second level debuff, Spiritual weapon lets the cleric do some additional damage as a bonus action while not actually being in melee. Having a good AC doesn't mean you must or even should stand at the front, especially if you are concentrating on a useful spell.

However, save most healing until someone actually goes down ... use a healing word bonus action to get them back up ... it is way more efficient than trying to heal before they hit zero (unless they need to make a critical attack or they are at risk of hitting negative max hit points in one attack).

strangebloke
2019-03-30, 10:58 AM
Play a lore bard. Grab Healing Spirit or Aura of Vitality as your magical secret at sixth level.

Alternately, play a Celestial Warlock. Decent healing, and has a great attack from range.

Alternately, play a cleric and have a high AC, but just... don't stay on the front lines. There's no reason that you have to be there. The Arcana cleric can even have a nice ranged attack cantrip.

Alternately, play a glamor bard and just cover everyone in layers of temporary HP with Mantle of Inspiration.

Alternately: Don't play a 'healer'. It isn't really a role that is supported in 5e. Everyone can heal themselves pretty efficiently due to hit dice. The only thing that you really need is a 'pinch healer' who can revivify party members when in dire circumstances. And that can be accomplished by getting ahold of a 'scroll of revivify'.

Mercurias
2019-03-30, 12:45 PM
I would probably go for the Light, Grave, or Knowledge Domains. They have a lot of flavor for a more caster-oriented character and some great roleplay hooks.

If your friend wants to play a Cleric, they're certainly able to do so with Medium Armor and a Shield from range. That's what I did for my Light Cleric simply because he knew he wasn't a physical fighter and would need something to protect himself with if something got through the front lines. A staff and shield setup is very D&D.

For spells, I would say your friend would have an easier time casting buffs than control spells with a Cleric's spell list, but there are still options, and the nice thing about Clerics is that they get to mix and match a whole new spell setup at the end of a long rest, barring Cantrips, so they have a lot of options available.

Mostly I would focus on keeping up a concentration buff/debuff, like Bless or Bane, maintained while using Cantrips and the occasional Guiding Bolt. Light and Grave domain clerics have some really nice combat skills for support, like Warding Flare and Path to the Grave, while a Knowledge Cleric will have more ability outside of combat for specialized skill checks and assistance in social situations.

Nhorianscum
2019-03-30, 02:15 PM

This but with a charlatan background to bypass the witch hunt in-world