PDA

View Full Version : Non-Standard 4e Play

Beoric
2019-03-30, 11:32 AM
Does anyone here run or play in a game which in some way runs counter to the default assumptions regarding how 4e is played?

If you do, what changes have been made to the game to facilitate the different playstyle?

MinotaurWarblad
2019-03-30, 03:34 PM
I’ve done a few that my players absolutely loved, though they are definitely not for everyone.

The big one allows low level characters to adventure with high level parties. Here’s the list of changes for it:
• Anything that a PC normally adds half-level to (skill checks, defenses, attack rolls) instead only adds +1 per tier; monsters decrease the same stats by half their level but do NOT get the same per tier bonus. All skill DCs are reduced by that number as well.
• Enhancement bonuses only scale from +1 for heroic, to +2 at paragon, to +3 at epic. As a side note, I also allow lower level versions of higher level items (+1 Vorpal is a fun thing), but I increase the price by 50% or so for things that are rarer (according to the setting, not the official item rarity).
• PCs and monsters add their tier to saving throws.
• When the PCs or monsters gain levels, they don’t increase their HP normally. Instead, they increase their HP by that amount when going up a tier.
• To keep damage mostly in line with these changes, the damage of all attack powers is reduced by 1 damage die at paragon and epic, unless it only deals 1 damage die (or none, like Radiant Pillar) to begin with; multi-attack powers double the reduction in damage dice and lose any ability modifier to damage standard to the power. In addition, damage that normally scales by tier doesn’t anymore (at wills don’t increase damage at 21, weapon focus only ever grants +1 to damage, etc.), enhancement bonuses do NOT add to damage rolls, and crits only deal 1 extra die of damage from weapon or implement regardless of enhancement bonus (extra crit dice for the high crit weapon property crit still apply). Feats that normally add an ability modifier to damage now only add half that modifier (i.e., Crippling Crush).
• On a case-by-case basis, certain powers or feats get the nerfbat. Twin Strike is an excellent example: I changed 1[W] to 1 point of damage. Now it doesn’t get bonuses to damage rolls since it has no damage roll, though bonuses applied to any melee attack should still work. It still gets a truckload of feat support (Swift Blade Style anyone?) and if it crits it now has a damage roll. Chargespam also nerfed (Horned Helm is +1 instead of +1d6, etc. etc.) in a similar manner.
• If I forgot anything I’ll edit it in here.

Beoric
2019-03-30, 10:40 PM
I also tend to have parties containing characters with a range of different levels. Although never so great a range that I couldn't just rebuild the individual monsters are appropriate for all characters in the group.

If I did ever have a big range, I don't think I would change the math, I would treat it as a problem for the players to solve. If I was a player in that situation, I would likely trick out the rookies in the best gear I could give them, be very selective about which monsters I wanted to engage in combat, and expect the rookies to mostly keep out of the way and give support with healing, powers with solid Effect lines, utility powers, ranged attacks in a pinch, granting saves, and flanking where possible.

One change I do make is with respect to experience. Older editions have experience curves that allow low level characters to catch up with higher level characters over time. To emulate this, I give double experience to PCs that fall below the average party level (if they survive the fight, they deserve it), and half experience to PCs that fall above it.