PDA

View Full Version : A healing cantrip idea

stewstew5
2019-03-30, 11:59 AM
now we all know why having a cantrip that heals is a poor idea.
"Alright, you set up for a short rest. What are you all doing" "I'm going to be casting stitch wounds and restore everyone to full health" "Just as always"
But what if it had a healing pool, like lay on hands, that refreshed after a long rest? I think it would look a little something like this:

Heal
cantrip
Range: 10 ft
Components: V,S
Duration: Instantaneous
a creature you target with this spell instantly regains 1d6 hit points. You can heal up to (8 x your spellcaster level) hit points with this cantrip, refreshing the amount every time you take a long rest

Galithar
2019-03-30, 12:09 PM
I feel like that's just a huge slap in the face to the Paladin by recreating their signature ability to heal and giving it to anyone who wants to take it. It also completely obliterates the Healer feat, which would then be replaced by Magic Initiate and the healing cantrip.

Basically, even with a limited pool of healing I think it's a bad idea.

Sparky McDibben
2019-03-30, 12:18 PM
It's a good idea if your party is low on healers - you might tweak it so that it states "no creature may benefit from this healing more than once per day." That minimizes the spam potential?

loki_ragnarock
2019-03-30, 12:22 PM
While I'm not a huge fan of the idea, what if it allowed someone you touch who can see and hear you to spend a hit die to heal, instead?

That gets a built in limit without an additional mechanic to keep track of... but might be strictly better than healing word.

Of course, that would still step on the toes of the various feats and class features that do *that* instead.

I'm not sure there's a great way to do this.

Sparky McDibben
2019-03-30, 12:22 PM
Maybe change the casting time? 10 minutes doesn't seem unreasonable for an out-of-combat cantrip.

Bjarkmundur
2019-03-30, 12:58 PM
I've always wanted a healing-flavoured cantrip, one way or another, but most people are strongly against it.

Personally I don't think anyone should reply just to say "I don't think this thread should exist", but people do anyways.

How about THP? This makes a party more durable, but doesn't really give them any additional resources. 1d4 THP as an action doesn't feel overly powerful, but useful ina pinch, especially at earlier levels.

Could also use an action to allow a player to spend a hit die, that already restricts its use, and make it mostly beneficial in combat.

Bjarkmundur
2019-03-30, 01:05 PM
Then again, if its just for one group, you only need it to be balanced within that group.

So playtest your way to victory, and find something that feels right!

stoutstien
2019-03-30, 01:12 PM
Limit it to 1d4 a number if times equal to targets con mod per day?

sophontteks
2019-03-30, 01:15 PM
The healing pool is too much to track. Limit it by die, it makes more sense.

KorvinStarmast
2019-03-30, 01:24 PM
Takes 10 minutes.
Heals 1 HP.
Can be use per long rest the number of times equal to the tier, which is just like other cantrips.
levels 1-4: 1
Levels 5-10: 2
Levels 11-16: 3
levels 17-20: 4

It's a cantrip, not a class feature.

That might keep it in balance.

But given how HP is a resource, I think your idea isn't a great one to start with.

Bjarkmundur
2019-03-30, 01:42 PM
I've always felt like hit dice are more representative of health than hit points are. At least my team always start playing rreeeeaaaallllyyyy carefully as they run out of hit dice xD

Dalebert
2019-03-30, 01:49 PM
How about just fixing Spare the Dying? i like my roommate's fix. It stabilizes them instantly and one minute later, if they're still at zero hp, they regain 1 hp.

We also combine it with Mending. in fact it's just called Mending but you can use it as above. And yes, that means Mending objects also just takes an action instead of a minute which always seemed silly for such a rarely useful cantrip. But I imagine a lot of people will not want to do that.

Sigreid
2019-03-30, 02:08 PM
I could see a cantrip that allows the target to spend one of their hit dice on healing. That way it's limited by both their hit dice available and the recovery rate of hit dice. It could definitely be a help in a pinch, but it's ability to help wears down the longer you go without a proper rest. It's also somewhat in line with the existing feat that allows a dwarf to take an action to spend a hit die.

HamsterKun
2019-03-30, 02:34 PM
Heal
Evocation cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Components: V, S
Class: Cleric, Bard, Druid, Paladin, Ranger

A creature you touch regains 1d4 Hit Points. This spell has no effect on Undead or Constructs.
The number of Hit Points restored is increased at 5th Level (2d4), 11th Level (3d4), or 17th Level (4d4).

mealar
2019-03-30, 02:36 PM
i also like the idea of temp hit points, kinda like a shield. make it last only 1 round so can't multi-buff the entire party and either D4 or D6 that scales like the damage cantrips.

doesn't break other abilities that have actual healing, can't use as an infinite "ress" if someones unconscious, just like a thing to do if you go "pure" healing and don't want to blow a spell slot

Bjarkmundur
2019-03-30, 02:59 PM
Heal
Evocation cantrip

A creature you touch regains 1d4 Hit Points. This spell has no effect on Undead or Constructs.
The number of Hit Points restored is increased at 5th Level (2d4), 11th Level (3d4), or 17th Level (4d4).

I should make a habit of formatting all my replies this cleanly. :/

Dalebert
2019-03-30, 03:02 PM
Heal
Evocation cantrip

Paladins and rangers don't get cantrips.

Note: emphasis mine

KorvinStarmast
2019-03-30, 03:44 PM
Heal
Evocation cantrip

Every six seconds, you heal ... this heals more than burning spell slots.
No, doesn't fit.
Game Breaking. (the first time I ever used that term, I think)

Beyond the class problems of who does not have a cantrip.
There's a reason they did not provide infinite healing, which this is.
To take it to an absurd level.
In one hour, you have 360 seconds. you can cast this every 6 seconds, which is
60 d4 at level 1
120 d4 at level 5
180 d4 at level 11
240 d4 at level 17

Compare that to recovering HD during a one hour long short rest.

Garfunion
2019-03-30, 03:46 PM
You could put another cost on it.
Have the cantrip require one use of a healer’s kit. Well I know I cantrips do not have a costly material component to cast, I think would make sense for this one to have one.

Dr. Cliché
2019-03-30, 03:58 PM
What about something like this:

Rejuvenate
Evocation cantrip
Duration: Concentration (up to 1 Minute)
Class: Cleric, Druid

A creature you touch regains 1 Hit Point at the beginning of each of its turns, so long as it has at least 1 hp remaining and no more than half its maximum HP. This spell has no effect on Undead or Constructs.

So:
- Uses concentration.
- Takes 10 rounds to complete.
- Can't heal a creature above half its maximum hp.
- Can't revive a downed creature.

Greywander
2019-03-30, 04:16 PM
Promote Healing
Evocation cantrip
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Components: V, S, M (a strip of cloth and a dried healing herb)
Class: Cleric, Bard, Druid

A creature you touch may spend one of their hit dice to regain hit points, and regains an additional 1d4 hit points.
You can't cast this on a creature that doesn't have any hit dice left.

Hows this? For a healing cantrip, the best route seems to be either (a) temp HP, or (b) uses hit dice.

OldTrees1
2019-03-30, 04:28 PM
Fortify Lifeforce
Necromancy cantrip

A creature you touch gains 2 temporary hit points. Temporary hit points last until depleted or the creature takes a long rest. At 5th, 11th, and 17th level the temporary hit points increases by 2.

As a cantrip this can be spammed more frequently than Inspiring Leader can. Additionally a cantrip is not as large of a cost as a feat. Furthermore this has a faster activation time. With all of those advantages, it should provide less of a buffer than Inspiring Leader. So I balanced it around it giving only ~1/3rd the benefit of Inspiring Leader. Obviously this can be scaled back to 1 THP per tier if needed.
(2 vs 4-7, 4 vs 8-14, 6 vs 16-21, 8 vs 22-25)

Desteplo
2019-03-30, 04:44 PM
Fortify Life
Necromancy cantrip
Duration: 1 hour (concentration)
Class: Cleric, Bard, Druid, wizard

A creature you touch gains 2 temporary hit points. snip
At 5th, 11th, and 17th level the temporary hit points increases by 2.
False life requires concentration. Guidance and similar do too. An effect like this is similar in power (early on) so I would think it should stay in line

A flat 2 points makes more sense than a rerollable die (good point)

Aid is 2nd lvl and does 15, no concentration and scales further into crazy. Making the spell situational at best, which a lot of cantrips are (blade ward, etc)

sophontteks
2019-03-30, 04:45 PM
Fortify Lifeforce
Necromancy cantrip

A creature you touch gains 2 temporary hit points. Temporary hit points last until depleted or the creature takes a long rest. At 5th, 11th, and 17th level the temporary hit points increases by 2.

As a cantrip this can be spammed more frequently than Inspiring Leader can. Additionally a cantrip is not as large of a cost as a feat. Furthermore this has a faster activation time. With all of those advantages, it should provide less of a buffer than Inspiring Leader. So I balanced it around it giving only ~1/3rd the benefit of Inspiring Leader. Obviously this can be scaled back to 1 THP per tier if needed.
(2 vs 4-7, 4 vs 8-14, 6 vs 16-21, 8 vs 22-25)
You could cut this to 1+1 per tier and it'd still be a must-have cantrip. But at least it's not competing with the power of feats and abilities too much.

mephnick
2019-03-30, 04:49 PM
I think this may have the True Strike/Blade Ward problem. If you make it good enough to take it would be broken for a cantrip. If you make it bad enough to be a safe cantrip, no one will take it. The line between useless and broken is razor thin.

Desteplo
2019-03-30, 04:49 PM
Promote Healing
Evocation cantrip
Components: V, S, M (a strip of cloth and a dried healing herb)

A creature you touch may spend one of their hit dice to regain snip 1d4 hit points.snip [B]at lvls 5, 11, 17 the amount healed increases by an additional 1d4

Hows this? For a healing cantrip, the best route seems to be either (a) temp HP, or (b) uses hit dice.

What if this was an action and had stunted healing. Healing now for less overall.

mephnick
2019-03-30, 04:51 PM
What if this was an action and had stunted healing. Healing now for less overall.

I'd make it an action and provide zero bonus. The ability to use a HD when you normally couldn't is quite good. Maybe even make it one die size lower than normal (min. 1d4)

bid
2019-03-30, 05:00 PM
Just get the healer feat. TANSTAAFL.

Long rest classes don't need a bonus. As a GM, just reset hp on short rests. You can use their other resources to pace them.

Desteplo
2019-03-30, 05:33 PM
Just get the healer feat. TANSTAAFL.

Long rest classes don't need a bonus. As a GM, just reset hp on short rests. You can use their other resources to pace them.

Guidance Is As free lunch as it gets. So yes we do. Just need to figure out that sweetsweet spot.

Problem is HP scales a lot. Skills don’t scale

GorogIrongut
2019-03-30, 05:54 PM
I agree that this is a very fine line to walk... which is why I would make it like this:

Forced Lifeforce
Necromancy cantrip
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Range: 30'

A single creature you cast this on gains 1 hit point. At 5th, 11th, and 17th level the hit points gained increase by 2. If this spell is cast on a player more than once in a 10 minute period, then the spell is successful but the target gains a level of exhaustion.

Being a bonus action and ranged makes this cantrip appealing... but by only giving 1 hp it's not over the top. Combine this with the fact that multiple castings incur the very dangerous exhaustion mechanic and it has a very dangerous downside. It's great for waking people up when downed... once. After that it's very risk reward. Kind of like a scary, gamblers version of Healing Word.

OldTrees1
2019-03-30, 10:50 PM
False life requires concentration. Guidance and similar do too. An effect like this is similar in power (early on) so I would think it should stay in line

A flat 2 points makes more sense than a rerollable die (good point)

Aid is 2nd lvl and does 15, no concentration and scales further into crazy. Making the spell situational at best, which a lot of cantrips are (blade ward, etc)

I don't think False Life is a decent comparison (also, it is not concentration). False Life is intentionally weak because it is an off list effect. I would never select False Life. Armor of Agathys is better. However both are self only spells that adopt an off list effect and neither is concentration.

Inspiring Leader is a better comparison. As for spells, Heroism and Aid are the better comparisons. Heroism takes concentration and has a very short 1m duration, but gives 3-5 THP per round. Aid does not take concentration, has a long 8h duration, and gives 3x 5-10 hp.

If you want to limit it to concentration, so only 1 target rather than once per ally, then it would need to be worth the concentration. I feel like I would never use a 2 THP concentration cantrip because it is too small compared to the cost. On the 1st round of combat, at level 1-20, I would be dropping concentration on the cantrip in favor of Heroism or something better. So you succeeded at making it as situational as True Strike.

OR, were you trying to shift it from damage mitigation to trap mitigation instead? Trying to make it compete with Resistance for the between combat damage mitigation. As someone that has used Resistance, I would not cast a THP cantrip instead of Resistance. Damage is not a lethal threat outside of combat but saving throws (and ability checks) can be.

You could cut this to 1+1 per tier and it'd still be a must-have cantrip. But at least it's not competing with the power of feats and abilities too much.

THP don't stack so if you consider the 1+1 per tier THP version to be a must-have, then you probably want to take Inspiring Leader instead. And choose a different cantrip to avoid anti synergy. However I can still see myself occasionally opting to take the 1+1 per tier version so that is probably the more balanced version.

sithlordnergal
2019-03-30, 11:18 PM
How about just fixing Spare the Dying? i like my roommate's fix. It stabilizes them instantly and one minute later, if they're still at zero hp, they regain 1 hp.

Oh I like this idea, allow Spare the Dying to heal 1 hp after a minute. I never really liked Spare the Dying since all it achieved was something that could be done with a single DC 10 Wisdom check and was 100% outclassed by the Healer's feat. I never saw a use for the spell. Even when playing a Cleric with no spell slots left, I found my actions were better used on an attack then trying to stabilize a person with a cantrip. This actually makes it useful. Now we don't have to wait 1d4 hours for the player to wake up and risk fighting a wandering group of enemies during those hours.

GreyBlack
2019-03-30, 11:49 PM
Only way that I could conceivably think this could work is if the cantrip allowed the character receiving the healing to burn one of their healing hit dice that they receive on a short rest. They don't get more of them; it's literally just them being allowed to burn their short rest die. Even then, that's dangerous.

Zhorn
2019-03-31, 12:17 AM
Seems like the most commonly agreed position is the imbalance a 'free heal' does to resource management. Following that is the issue of niche overlap, where it could negate any usefulness of other existing mechanics. While I believe the Healer feat does fill the target niche effectively, I do enjoy a good thought experiment, so here's my attempt at a healing cantrip.

Rapid Recovery
Necromancy cantrip

You tap into the life force of a willing conscious creature to hasten their body's natural healing. The creature is able to expend one of their available hit die, regaining hit points equal to the number rolled.
If the creature has no hit dice to spend, they instead recover 1d8 hit points and take a level of exhaustion.

Rational:

Creature must be conscious, otherwise the cantrip steps on the toes of Spare the dying.
Creature must be willing as to avoid this cantrip being used offensively (be it against enemies or other players).
Hit dice are used to supply a soft cap on the amount that can be healed and exhaustion levels put a hard cap on how much healing can be done with that cantrip. This is less magical healing and more magically forcing the body to work overtime to heal faster. If the body is in a poor state (no available hit dice, existing levels of exhaustion), then you're putting undue strain on the body, potentially causing more harm than good.
The hit die rolled does NOT include the creature's CON modifier, a way of representing slower healing as being more beneficial. This is an emergency heal, not a substitution for short rests

Contrast
2019-03-31, 03:04 AM
If this spell is cast on a player more than once in a 10 minute period, then the spell is successful but the target gains a level of exhaustion.

I feel like you haven't considered someone purposefully casting this on an enemy to cause exhaustion.

Kane0
2019-03-31, 03:19 AM
Evocation Cantrip
1 Action
Somatic, Material
Touch
Instantaneous

The creature you touch heals 1d4 Hit Points. This spell has no effect on undead, constructs, creatures at 0 Hit Points or creatures with more Hit Points than one quarter of their maximum.
At level 5 this spell heals 2d4 HP, at level 11 3d4 and level 17 4d4.

OmSwaOperations
2019-03-31, 08:40 AM
The following idea appeals to me...

Cancerous Regeneration
Cantrip
Casting time: 1 action
Range: touch
The target’s flesh heals thousands of times faster than the natural speed, so that wounds knit together in mere seconds (target recovers 1d4+[his CON modifier] HP). However the flesh so created is hideous and malformed, bulging with tumorous growths. The target must roll a d4. On a 1, he permanently loses one point of constitution.

Bjarkmundur
2019-03-31, 09:18 AM
Seeing what people are coming up with, is see a couple of different spells, based on what the desired effect is.

» In combat healing
» Healing from 0
» Healing during short rest.
» Resistance

To be honest, these should all be separate cantrips, except goodberry and spare the dying already take up the "heal from 0" spot.

I'm can imagine one iteration of Resistance, pre release, was temporary hit points, but due to bounded accuracy they decided a save bonus would be easier to scale than a hit point buff.

GorogIrongut
2019-03-31, 10:44 AM
I feel like you haven't considered someone purposefully casting this on an enemy to cause exhaustion.
This is a very valid critique and I thank you for it.

Here's the updated version:

Forced Life
Necromancy cantrip
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Range: 30'

A single creature you cast this on gains 1 hit point. This spell doesn't work on undead, constructs and unwilling targets.

At 5th, 11th, and 17th level the hit points gained increase by 2.

If this spell is cast on a character more than once before the target is able to take a short rest, then the spell is still successfully cast but the target loses 10 hp from their Max HP Total until they're able to perform a Long Rest.

I think that covers all bases. And simplifies the cantrip so it's harder to abuse and less finicky. I know it steps on the toes of Spare the Dying... but honestly, I don't care. That cantrip is crap.

opaopajr
2019-04-01, 03:28 AM
I actually like the change to Spare the Dying, adding 1 HP if at 0... as long as it doesn't induce whack-a-mole.

Easiest fix for the die version, I think, would be to limit it to Proficiency Bonus times, then upgrade the die size at 5th, 11th, etc. levels.

Greenfaun
2019-04-01, 05:19 AM
I’ve been thinking about this too, and it’s really tricky to balance the need for something that is:

1: Worth it as a thing to take in a precious cantrip slot
2: Worth it to spend an action in combat (at least situationally)
3: Doesn’t break HP-as-resources by letting groups adventure continuously without ever needing to heal up

Also people generally don’t like Spare the Dying, but somebody kinda needs to have it because dying is bad...

I think part of the problem is the fact that magic can do so many things, and magical healing is obviously useful, and cantrips exist, so why not cantrip healing? Possibly one solution would be that healing cantrips exist in the world, but are not allowed for player characters, because of game balance. This might rub a lot of people the wrong way though...

So here are my ideas:

1: Seal Wounds
Transmutation Cantrip
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: 15 ft
Duration: 1 round
Class: Bard, Cleric, Transmutation Wizards, Cthulhu Warlocks

You use magic to temporarily transmute a wounded ally into a false semblance of better health. Wounds are held closed, broken bones are stuck back together, but no true healing occurs and your ally’s relief is only temporary. You grant an ally within range 1d8 temporary hit points that last until the end of your next turn. Unlike normal temporary hit points, the effects of this spell can only take a creature up to its maximum HP, so an unwounded target receives no benefit. The temporary HP from this spell still don’t stack with other temporary HP. The temporary hp granted improve to 2d8 at 5th, 3d8 at 11th, and 4d8 at 17th.

2:Transfusion
Necromancy Cantrip
Class: Druid, Cleric, Warlock

You magically force blood and vitality to flow between you and a touched creature, either draining the creature to heal you, or sacrificing your health to heal your target. 1d6 hit points are transferred. Creatures being drained can make a Constitution save to resist. This cantrip only affects creatures with blood, so Celestials, Constructs, Elementals, Fiends, Oozes, Plants, and Undead are immune to either effect. Any disease carried by the drained creature is also transferred to the healed creature. The transfer improves to 2d6 at 5th, 3d6 at 11th, and 4d6 at 17th.

3: Sun Ray
Evocation Cantrip
Range: 20 ft
Components: V, S, M
Duration: Instantaneous/ 4 rounds (see text)
Class: Cleric, Phoenix Sorcerer, Celestial Warlock

You shine a ray of golden light at a target within range. This energy is raw celestial energy and while it causes most creatures to heal, its light is so bright and energetic that it also burns the target. You deal 1d4 radiant damage to your target, and then the target gains a fast healing effect that heals 2 hit points per round for 4 rounds, at the beginning of the target’s turn. Creatures can only benefit from this fast healing effect once until they finish a short rest, but the damage continues to affect them. Creatures who wish to avoid the ray can make a Dexterity save. Constructs, Fiends, and Undead do not experience the healing effect. Celestials and Plants receive double healing. Creatures resistant or immune to radiant damage still receive the healing effect. The effects of the cantrip improve to 2d4 radiant damage/ 4 hp per round at 5th, 3d4 radiant damage/ 6 hp per round at 11th, and 4d4 radiant damage / 8 hp per round at 17th.

4: Healing Vapors
Conjuratin Cantrip
Range: 30 ft
Components: V, S, M
Duration: Concentration
Class: Bard, Cleric

You create a tiny (coin-sized) portal to a heavenly realm in a space in range. Golden steam billows out and has a medicinal effect on creatures that breathe them in. Creatures in or adjacent to the space can use a bonus action to breathe in the vapor and heal 1d4 hp. Creatures can only benefit from healing vapors a number of times equal to their proficiency bonus, then they must complete a short rest before they can benefit from inhaling them again. The healing increases to 2d4 at 5th, 3d4 at 11th, and 4d4 at 17th.

I’m pretty sure all of these would need playtesting, especially Sun Ray. The fact that it does initial damage is weird with the action economy, so I gave it very beefy healing over time for a cantrip, but honestly I have no idea if it’s actually appropriate. I think it’s pretty funny, though. “Ow, I said heal me!” “Wait for it...”

Arkhios
2019-04-01, 05:38 AM
If I were to do this...

Revitalize
Evocation Cantrip
As you touch a dying creature, it regains 1 hit point.

The point here is, that it only works on dying (but not dead) creatures, and only on creatures (not objects).

While, as a Cantrip, it can be cast at-will (repeatedly), it couldn't be spammed to heal someone from 0 to full hit points.

Waterdeep Merch
2019-04-01, 02:30 PM
If I were serious about it, I'd probably make it kill hit dice every time you cast it. So it does 1d4 tier-scaling healing, but you're limited in how often you can do it and depending on the circumstances, it's a terrible idea. Especially when other healing options are available.

Probably more powerful for low Con, small hit dice classes when it hits 4d4 HP in tier 4, especially when used by a life cleric. But that's a niche that requires building for. Which is fair, I think.

Rukelnikov
2019-04-01, 03:03 PM
False Promise
Illusion Cantrip
Range: 30 ft.
Duration: 1 minute

"You infuse a creature with vigor numbing it to pain and making it feel healthier.

Target creature gets healed for 1d8 + Casting Stat hp. When the spell ends the creature takes as much damage as it was healed, this damage cant be prevented or reduced.

The healing increases at 5th(2d8), 11th(3d8) and 17th(4d8)"

EDIT: Simpler (better?) version

Waterdeep Merch
2019-04-01, 03:21 PM
False Promise
Illusion Cantrip
Range: 30 ft.
Duration: 1 minute

"You infuse a creature with vigor numbing it to pain and making it feel healthier.

Target creature gets healed for 1d8 + Casting Stat hp. When the spell ends the creature takes as much damage as it was healed, this damage cant be prevented or reduced.

The healing increases at 5th(2d8), 11th(3d8) and 17th(4d8)"

EDIT: Simpler (better?) version

That's just hilarious. I'd probably amend that to say 'WILLING' creature, though, or you have a surprisingly versatile killing tool.

Rukelnikov
2019-04-01, 03:26 PM
That's just hilarious. I'd probably amend that to say 'WILLING' creature, though, or you have a surprisingly versatile killing tool.

How would this kill?

JeenLeen
2019-04-01, 03:34 PM
:Transfusion
Necromancy Cantrip
Class: Druid, Cleric, Warlock

You magically force blood and vitality to flow between you and a touched creature, either draining the creature to heal you, or sacrificing your health to heal your target. 1d6 hit points are transferred. Creatures being drained can make a Constitution save to resist. This cantrip only affects creatures with blood, so Celestials, Constructs, Elementals, Fiends, Oozes, Plants, and Undead are immune to either effect. Any disease carried by the drained creature is also transferred to the healed creature. The transfer improves to 2d6 at 5th, 3d6 at 11th, and 4d6 at 17th.

I like this one, and was thinking about something similar to it as I was reading through this thread. I think it works really well in that it doesn't increase the HP of the party as a whole... just moves it around a little bit.

I could see limiting it to just one-way, both to make it only a "heal others" ability and so you can't act as a intermediary to move health around (e.g., you drain HP from the fighter, then give it to the rogue). That prevents you from draining animals or NPCs to give the health to PCs.

qube
2019-04-01, 03:57 PM
if it were me?

action. touch. heal up to spellcasting stat mod of damage they taken since the end of your previous turn. (no undead/comnstructs, bla bla bla)

that way,
- can't be abused during a short rest,
- you can only use it to stabalize immediately when they go down (before even the first saving throw)
- with the amount so low, most people recall if they took, like 4 damage, in their last turn.

can be used to help someone - yet as it's afte the damage, it differs from 'future' actions like the help action.
can be used out of combat (lvl 1 part needs to pass a thorny bush or jump 10 ft down? no worries, the cleric can freely heal much of that stuff)

Waterdeep Merch
2019-04-01, 04:34 PM
How would this kill?

Cast it on them while they're at maximum HP in order to cause damage a minute later. It's finicky due to this detail, but that's a detail that can be utilized by a clever amoral murderhobo against low HP NPC's, like city officials and the like, who are also vulnerable to simple charm effects and may easily fall for the explanation that you're improving their health or trying to prevent the very death you're causing. It's even kind of neat that, if it takes more than one casting to 'kill' your target, you can have them die in front of people slowly over the course of upwards of a minute.

That's not necessarily bad (I'd even applaud anyone that pulls it off), but players are players and you might see one trying to be "helpful" by intentionally abusing this mechanic to inflict harm on other players. Just giving them a codified opt-out fixes that abuse.

Damon_Tor
2019-04-01, 04:37 PM
"Alright, you set up for a short rest. What are you all doing" "I'm going to be casting stitch wounds and restore everyone to full health" "Just as always"
But what if it had a healing pool, like lay on hands, that refreshed after a long rest? I think it would look a little something like this:

Heal
cantrip
a creature you target with this spell instantly regains 1d6 hit points. You can heal up to (8 x your spellcaster level) hit points with this cantrip, refreshing the amount every time you take a long rest

To brainstorm with you for a minute:

Life Graft
Necromancy Cantrip
Components: VS
You lose 1d6 hitpoints and another creature in range regains an equal number of hitpoints.
At higher levels: Increase the hit points lost by 1d6 at levels 5, 11 and 17

Vampiric Whispers
Necromancy Cantrip
Range: 30 feet
Components: V
One creature in range must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or take 1d4 necrotic damage. Another creature in range regains a number of hitpoints equal to the amount of damage dealt.
At higher levels: Increase the damage by 1d4 at levels 5, 11 and 17

Bolster
Abjuration Cantrip
Components: VS
One creature in range gains 1d4 temporary hitpoints.
At higher levels: Increase the temporary hitpoints gained by 1d4 at levels 5, 11 and 17

Inspiring Word
Enchantment Cantrip
Components: V
One creature in range can spend a hit dice to recover that many hitpoints.

Several of those are broken or breakable, I'm sure. Just tossing some pasta at the wall.

Damon_Tor
2019-04-01, 04:47 PM

This is interesting. I'll note that as written, this potentially has a powerful synergy with Contagion. Use contagion to infect yourself with Slimy Doom or Flesh Rot. As long as you're willing to bear the negative effects of the disease yourself, you can infect anyone else, no save, no attack roll (only the creature being drained can save). A sorcerer or anyone with a familiar would be able to do this from a distance.

It's a cool idea for a build, but the wording should be changed to allow any unwilling target a con save, regardless of which end of the spell they're on.

Galithar
2019-04-01, 05:34 PM
Cast it on them while they're at maximum HP in order to cause damage a minute later. It's finicky due to this detail, but that's a detail that can be utilized by a clever amoral murderhobo against low HP NPC's, like city officials and the like, who are also vulnerable to simple charm effects and may easily fall for the explanation that you're improving their health or trying to prevent the very death you're causing. It's even kind of neat that, if it takes more than one casting to 'kill' your target, you can have them die in front of people slowly over the course of upwards of a minute.

That's not necessarily bad (I'd even applaud anyone that pulls it off), but players are players and you might see one trying to be "helpful" by intentionally abusing this mechanic to inflict harm on other players. Just giving them a codified opt-out fixes that abuse.

It's worded to damage only the amount healed. If you are at full health then you can't be healed. Even if I cast the Mass Heal spell to give you 700 HP if you're at full it does nothing.

Rukelnikov
2019-04-01, 05:36 PM

It deals the same amount of damage as it healed, so at max hp it heals 0 hp, then it deals 0 damage.

Even if it worked when at max HP, dealing damage aftwerwards a second casting wouldn't deal (much) more damage than the first one, since it would heal first, if it worked this way (which it doesn't), then you could kill low hp npcs yeah.

Aquillion
2019-04-01, 05:45 PM
Rather than a cantrip for healing outside of combat (something that is hard to balance and already covered by a huge number of things), make it a cantrip for healing in combat.

Reverse Wounds
Evocation cantrip

A creature you touch regains up to 1d6 Hit Points that were lost since the start of your last turn.
The maximum number of Hit Points restored is increased at 5th Level (2d6), 11th Level (3d6), and 17th Level (4d6).

Waterdeep Merch
2019-04-01, 06:40 PM
It's worded to damage only the amount healed. If you are at full health then you can't be healed. Even if I cast the Mass Heal spell to give you 700 HP if you're at full it does nothing.

It deals the same amount of damage as it healed, so at max hp it heals 0 hp, then it deals 0 damage.

Even if it worked when at max HP, dealing damage aftwerwards a second casting wouldn't deal (much) more damage than the first one, since it would heal first, if it worked this way (which it doesn't), then you could kill low hp npcs yeah.
I can see this line of reasoning, but there also simply isn't any rule that actually covers this because there's normally no need. After all, while you can't have more HP than your maximum HP, that doesn't stop things that restore HP from functioning on you. If you blast 20 points of Lay on Hands on someone at maximum HP, it doesn't fail or refund the points or anything. Thus, unless you're willing to also include this kind of rule, you're going to have people arguing about it.

We're in the realm of homebrew, though, so just make sure you specify this before you run into this exact argument.

opaopajr
2019-04-01, 06:50 PM
Actually, I change my mind: I like this cantrip costing your own Hit Die to use. :smallcool: Self limiting outright, and martial classes dipping will give greater benefit from their larger hit die.

Lent Strength
Cantrip
necromancy
v
touch
1 bonus action
Use one of your available Hit Dice to heal a target, (HD+CON).

SCPTropes
2019-04-01, 07:10 PM
Cancerous Regeneration
Cantrip
Range: touch
The target’s flesh heals thousands of times faster than the natural speed, so that wounds knit together in mere seconds (target recovers 1d4+[his CON modifier] HP). However the flesh so created is hideous and malformed, bulging with tumorous growths. The target must roll a d4. On a 1, he permanently loses one point of constitution.

To me, this seems like a trap option for players. There's a reason 5E did away(mostly) with ability score damage/reduction. Personally, I wouldn't take.

Galithar
2019-04-01, 08:39 PM
I can see this line of reasoning, but there also simply isn't any rule that actually covers this because there's normally no need. After all, while you can't have more HP than your maximum HP, that doesn't stop things that restore HP from functioning on you. If you blast 20 points of Lay on Hands on someone at maximum HP, it doesn't fail or refund the points or anything. Thus, unless you're willing to also include this kind of rule, you're going to have people arguing about it.

We're in the realm of homebrew, though, so just make sure you specify this before you run into this exact argument.

A creature’s hit points can’t exceed its hit point maximum, so any hit points regained in excess of this number are lost.

The books actually say they are "lost" which means they are not applied as healing. So the rules actually do cover it to prevent people from trying to argue about "over heals" and trying to exceed their maximum HP.

If you really wanted to rules lawyer proof the spell though you would just add "if this healing would exceed a creatures maximum hit points the damage dealt by the spell equals only the number of hit points actually healed, not any that would have taken the creature over their maximum"

Though that just gets wordy, and I don't think it would be needed to prevent this spell from being used maliciously.

To me, this seems like a trap option for players. There's a reason 5E did away(mostly) with ability score damage/reduction. Personally, I wouldn't take.

A trap option would imply that it looks tempting to take. Maybe it's just me, but anything with an attribute damage rider doesn't, in any way, look like something I would want to take.

Mordaedil
2019-04-02, 01:30 AM
How about this one?

Slow curing
Evocation cantrip
Duration: Concentration, up to one minute

A creature you touch gainst Fast Healing 1. You must remain in contact with the creature while concentrating.
At Higher Levels: Increase the Fast Healing rate by +2 per level.

Aquillion
2019-04-02, 01:48 AM
Keep in mind that in 5e, "permanent" attribute damage isn't actually permanent - per XGTE, any reduction to your attributes that doesn't have a set, limited duration can be cured with a week of rest (pg. 131, "Relaxation".)

I think they included that specifically because permanent attribute loss is flatly not allowed under 5e's design philosophy and they wanted to intentionally undercut any effects that accidentally slipped through editing which might seem like they cause it.

I still think that that spell is terrible and would never see use, since a week to recover is annoying. But it's simply not possible to reduce someone's Constitution permanently in 5e, since even explicitly stating that it's permanent just means they can recover by resting for a week.

Hytheter
2019-04-02, 05:08 AM
Guys please stop trying to name the cantrip Heal. That's already the name of a spell.

Anyway, as discussed I think giving creatures a chance to spend hit dice is a good compromise for a healing cantrip. Any actual recovery is just going to replace all other forms of healing, for free, or require some serious limitations.

Rukelnikov
2019-04-02, 05:21 AM
Guys please stop trying to name the cantrip Heal. That's already the name of a spell.

Anyway, as discussed I think giving creatures a chance to spend hit dice is a good compromise for a healing cantrip. Any actual recovery is just going to replace all other forms of healing, for free, or require some serious limitations.

My problem with spending hit dice is that it discourages short rests, , I like it more where the total HP of the team doesn't change like in that version where the caster takes damage and heals that amount.

Arkhios
2019-04-02, 05:40 AM
Ooops! x)

My problem with spending hit dice is that it discourages short rests.

Nah, it doesn't. Plenty of classes get a lot more from Short Rests than just self-healing by expending their hit dice.

Zhorn
2019-04-02, 06:43 AM
Nah, it doesn't. Plenty of classes get a lot more from Short Rests than just self-healing by expending their hit dice.
Plus I think a key aspect of balancing using hit dice expenditure is to be sure the cantrip heal does NOT include a modifier in the amount healed (mentioned this in #34, but not being on the first or last page it's guaranteed to be ignored *shrug*).
Spend a hit die as part of a rest, get a modifier per roll
Spend a hit die as part of a cantrip, no modifier

If the cantrip could use the modifier, then that's where the short rest will start to be neglected in favor of relying on just the cantrip. If a party has enough mechanics to recharge on a short rest that will maintain some appeal, but primarily for hp replenishment I'd hesitate to give a healing cantrip a +modifier, especially when primary stats tend to be higher than con scores. Letting it use a modifier is the tipping points of getting TOO good.

Yunru
2019-04-02, 06:46 AM

Heal
cantrip
We've been running with this for a long time with no problems:

Minor Regeneration
Cantrip
Range: 30 ft
A creature you can see within range may spend a hit die to regain hit points.

Grey Watcher
2019-04-02, 08:01 AM
How about THP? This makes a party more durable, but doesn't really give them any additional resources. 1d4 THP as an action doesn't feel overly powerful, but useful ina pinch, especially at earlier levels.

I like this line of thinking. Strictly worse than False Life, so Fiendish Vigor Warlocks still come out ahead in the I-Can-Do-This-All-Day Department (though they're self only).

I dunno how temporary HP interacts with death saves, but it also doesn't torpedo Spare the Dying (since that's permanent, barring further harm to the subject).

Could also use an action to allow a player to spend a hit die, that already restricts its use, and make it mostly beneficial in combat.

I like this even better. The healing is non-trivial. It's real healing. Its a limited resource without an extra thing to track ("How many times have I cast this on whom?"). And is good for patching up between fights.

I might make the casting time a minute, to put it firmly in the Between Fights Category. And so that Spare the Dying is still the go-to for saving someone in a time sensitive situation.

noob
2019-04-02, 08:11 AM
The spell heals 1 hp at the cost of 1 hp?

Contrast
2019-04-02, 11:50 AM

Plenty do but not all. If you put a cantrip in that allowed expending HD to heal without a short rest then those classes who gain little from a short rest would now gain nothing.

You ideally want the party acting with unity. When the warlock suggests a short rest in his party otherwise consisting of a ranger, barbarian, rogue and sorc you want the other players looking forward to having one as well rather than grumbling that they need to keep stopping (or worse, just ignoring them). The channel divinities of a number of paladin and cleric archetypes are also pretty underwhelming depending on the circumstances while wizards may well not care after the first one. Non-moon druids probably aren't super desperate to take more than 1 short rest a day either I'd imagine if you ignore HD.

It's not the end of the world but I tend to agree its something I personally would prefer to avoid.

Bloodcloud
2019-04-02, 12:14 PM
An option I dont see mentionned is to make it heal up to half hp, kinda like the champion sublcass ability. No effect if target has more than half hp.

Otherwise, yeah tying it to hit dices (maybe the caster's hit dice?) would be a good limit. Otherwise, maybe something that allow to tranfer hp (caster suffer damage equivalent to the damage healed, no reduction watsoever of this damage)