PDA

View Full Version : Ranger as a Fighter Subclass

TheUser
2019-03-30, 12:29 PM
Saw a post on facebook talking about making the Ranger a fighter subclass, thought I'd give it a shot and see what results it produces.
Essentially an EK with Druid spells instead and more of a focus on skills than spells with later features. So instead of granting disadvantage on saves or having access to cantrips it has more of a skill expertise focus.
Since there would be no ranger spell list, hunters mark, and swift quiver aren't required anymore either (you're a fighter, you get 4 attacks at 20 anyway!)

Probably not balanced but I really like the way it looks on paper at the moment.

Link here:
https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HJWcMSZad4

If you don't want to follow the link here's the features listed as well

Attuned to Nature
At level 3 your strengthened connection with the natural world begins to manifest. You gain proficiency in Wisdom(Survival) checks, if you are already proficient in this skill, it improves to expertise, adding double your proficiency bonus. You have advantage on these checks when travelling in the wilderness.

Additonally, you gain the ability to cast spells. See chapter 10 for the general rules of
spellcasting and chapter 11 for the druid spell list.

* You gain spell slots as though you were a druid equal to one third your fighter level. Rounding up if you are not multi-classed.
* You prepare spells from the druid spell list with Wisdom as your spellcasting ability.
* You may prepare a number of spells from the druid spell list equal to your proficiency bonus + one third your Fighter level rounded up.
* The maximum level of druid spells you can prepare is equal to your fighter level divded by six, also rounded up.
* You can change your prepared spells when you finish a long rest.

Skilled Hunter
Beginning at level 7 your mastery of survival skills improves. You gain proficiency in Dexterity(Stealth) and Wisdom(Perception) checks. If you are already proficient in a given skill, you gain expertise instead. Lastly, you may make any one of these checks or a Wisdom(Survival) check using a bonus action.

Hide in Plain Sight
Starting at 10th level, after spending 1 minute preparing and donning camouflage derived from your surroundings you may attempt to hide even when only lightly obscured in the wilderness. You may also attempt to hide by pressing yourself against a natural surface remaining motionless. You cannot begin to make this second kind of attempt while observed by an enemy. If your natural surroundings change substantially, you must spend another minute on a new set of camouflage. Like if you were to transition from the woods to a cave.

This feature improves at level 15 allowing you to attempt hiding even while being observed by an Enemy.

Feral Senses
By level 15 your senses have improved to superhuman levels, either out of extreme training or a supernatural development from constant exposure to the natural world, enhancing your body.

* You can see up to 1 mile away with no difficulty, able to discern fine details as though looking at something no more than 100 feet away from you. Additionally, dim light doesn't impose disadvantage on your Wisdom(Perception) checks.

* Your hearing allows you to discern the location of any creature within 30ft of you, suffering no disadvantage to attack rolls against them even while hidden or invisible, so long as they have a heartbeat.

* Your sense of smell becomes so keen, even poisons designed to be odourless and tasteless are quite obvious. A creature's personal scent can even be acquired by your keen nose. As an action you can pick up the scent of a creature by interacting with them or one of their personal items (clothing, hair brush, favourite doll) or a bodily excretion (like blood, sweat or feces). After doing so you immediately know the creature's type, and when applicable, race, sex, and relative age. In some cases you can even discern the relative health and well being of the creature (like if it's been poisoned or is diseased). Knowing the smell of a creature allows you to track its trail effortlessly if it's less than a week old as well as the creature's physical interactions with objects and people, the more exposure, the longer scent remains.

These abilities are not considered magical.

Foe Slayer
After reaching 18th level, when using the attack action on your turn against a creature from which you are hidden, you may make all attacks that are a part of that action at advantage instead of just the first.

Also, you cannot be tracked by non-magical means unless you choose to leave a trail.

Discussion:
Favored Enemy has to go.
It's not a healthy mechanic. It removes agency from the player in that you are praying the DM pits you against your favored enemy, either over-performing when you are or feel like you under-perform when you don't. GET RID OF IT.
The main goal is to trim a lot of the fat in the ranger class. Primeval Awareness and Land's Stride are terrible anyway (gone), and Natural Explorer is a bloated ability that can be boiled down to "advantage on survival checks" and get rid of the specific terrain nonsense (for the same reasons that Favored Enemy is bad) the specifics just detract from the freedom a DM would have anyway. The goal is simplicity and I feel this accomplishes that goal for the most part (with the exception of the level 15 Feral senses feature).
Hide in Plain Sight in its current iteration in the PHB sucks and needed some love, improving more at level 15.

Foe Slayer is currently a bad capstone in the PHB so much so that I have completely reworked it while throwing in the Vanish feature at 18.

I'm ever so slightly certain the level 15 Feral Senses feature is too bloated but I like it regardless.

MrStabby
2019-03-30, 02:08 PM
This is in that odd space where I think it works, but I don't like it.

Nothing really works together. It feels like you could get better with a multiclass fighter druid.

Eldritch knight felt similar but had a few things in its favour: spells like shield get extra value in the thick of action and from level 7 onwards you occasionally got abilities that help you fuse magic and fighting.

Here it feels just a bit disparate.

The ranger, for all its flaws in the current iteration, has pulled these together by have a spell list rich in spells that won't use an action in combat. Hunters Mark, ensnaring strike and so on. Freeing up the action to attack with makes the two halves feel like they work together rather than being tagged on.

If I were to do ranger as a subclass, I think I would pick monk personally. It has stronger ties to the lithe, agile archetype, already looks for dex and wisdom and spending Ki for ranger abilities would probably work for me mechanically.

Sigreid
2019-03-30, 02:11 PM
I think it's not a bad first swing. But then I'm one of the older players from way back when ranger was a fighter subclass.

Naanomi
2019-03-30, 02:49 PM
I feel like the conception of Ranger is closer to Rogue than Fighter anymore... Arcane Trickster with a Druid spell list, a fancy familiar instead of Mage Hand stuff... would really cover a lot of it I think

MrStabby
2019-03-30, 02:58 PM
I feel like the conception of Ranger is closer to Rogue than Fighter anymore... Arcane Trickster with a Druid spell list, a fancy familiar instead of Mage Hand stuff... would really cover a lot of it I think

Ok, so we have nearly covered all the options then... someone to say a ranger is a barbarian subclass and then someone to say that clearly they are a type of wizard!

Sigreid
2019-03-30, 03:03 PM
Ok, so we have nearly covered all the options then... someone to say a ranger is a barbarian subclass and then someone to say that clearly they are a type of wizard!

Nonsense! They are clearly nature subclass paladins!😂

Dalebert
2019-03-30, 03:30 PM
I took a stab at this a while back. Folks had been complaining about no non-caster option for rangers and I thought the way to go was a fighter archetype.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?544833-Brainstorm-non-spellcasting-Rangers-as-Fighter-archetypes-(that-don-t-suck)

MrStabby
2019-03-30, 05:18 PM
Nonsense! They are clearly nature subclass paladins!😂

Actually you could just put it as a druid subclass.

Level 3 gets martial weapons and up to medium armour proficiency. Maybe some ranger "domain" spells

Level 6 gets extra attack

Level 10 hide in plain sight, maybe some more proficiency in skills.

Level 14 ???

SpanielBear
2019-03-30, 06:24 PM
Also I know beast masters are cumbersome and need a DM’s homebrew for every iteration, but a ranger with no animal companion just feels very wrong.

And my miniature giant space hamster agrees with me.

Misterwhisper
2019-03-30, 06:26 PM
I would see ranger as more of a rogue subclass.

Daphne
2019-03-30, 06:29 PM
I'd just use the Scout (https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/04_UA_Classics_Revisited.pdf) archetype released on UA.

djreynolds
2019-03-30, 09:01 PM
I wish ranger was just a feat you could take.

Any class at 8th level could just grab the ranger feat. Perhaps you just need a 13 in wisdom and dexterity, and you gain some perks like a favored terrain or groups of enemies you've faced, and some spells and stuff.

Why not?

Zonugal
2019-03-30, 09:09 PM
I'd just use the Scout (https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/04_UA_Classics_Revisited.pdf) archetype released on UA.

I have started do this as well.

The special forces of my campaign setting are just 'Scout' Fighters with the Ritual Caster (Druid) feat.

CTurbo
2019-03-31, 02:03 AM
Ranger's are clearly better fit to be a Bard subclass :smallbiggrin:

CTurbo
2019-03-31, 02:15 AM
Nah I'm fine with the Ranger being a Fighter subclass, but I'm not sure how I would do it and make it both effective and at least somewhat enticing to play. I don't know anybody that would ever choose this homebrew as it's pretty much just all fluff and utility. I would prefer for the Ranger to be spell less, but I also don't think that would work in 5e.

TheUser
2019-03-31, 06:51 AM
Nah I'm fine with the Ranger being a Fighter subclass, but I'm not sure how I would do it and make it both effective and at least somewhat enticing to play. I don't know anybody that would ever choose this homebrew as it's pretty much just all fluff and utility. I would prefer for the Ranger to be spell less, but I also don't think that would work in 5e.

Druid spellcasting and fighter chassis offer a lot of the combat oomph. Remember that bonus feat at level 6 for fighters? Action Surge?
This is a fighter subclass with Heat Metal, Pass Without Trace, Flaming Sphere and Healing Spirit at level 7. Healing Word and Absorb Elements at level 3.

The ranger class is already a lot of fluff. At least now it's useful fluff...

CTurbo
2019-03-31, 07:13 AM
Druid spellcasting and fighter chassis offer a lot of the combat oomph. Remember that bonus feat at level 6 for fighters? Action Surge?
This is a fighter subclass with Heat Metal, Pass Without Trace, Flaming Sphere and Healing Spirit at level 7. Healing Word and Absorb Elements at level 3.

The ranger class is already a lot of fluff. At least now it's useful fluff...

No doubt it would be effective. It's just zero exciting to me at least. I am just one person though.

Damon_Tor
2019-03-31, 08:45 AM
Saw a post on facebook talking about making the Ranger a fighter subclass, thought I'd give it a shot and see what results it produces.
Essentially an EK with Druid spells instead and more of a focus on skills than spells with later features. So instead of granting disadvantage on saves or having access to cantrips it has more of a skill expertise focus.
Since there would be no ranger spell list, hunters mark, and swift quiver aren't required anymore either (you're a fighter, you get 4 attacks at 20 anyway!)

Probably not balanced but I really like the way it looks on paper at the moment.

The same argument can (and has) been made for the paladin being a fighter subclass with access to the cleric spell list.

Yakk
2019-03-31, 10:19 AM
I'd flip this all on its head.

An Expert class with Rogue, Swashbuckler, Tinkerer and Ranger subclasses.

A Champion class with Fighter, Warden, Paladin and Barbarian subclasses.

A Sage class with Wizard, Warlock, Mystic, Priest, Swordmage subclasses.

But that isn't very 5e anymore. :p

Naanomi
2019-03-31, 10:34 AM
I'd flip this all on its head.

An Expert class with Rogue, Swashbuckler, Tinkerer and Ranger subclasses.

A Champion class with Fighter, Warden, Paladin and Barbarian subclasses.

A Sage class with Wizard, Warlock, Mystic, Priest, Swordmage subclasses.

But that isn't very 5e anymore. :p
A system utilizing this make up (or something like it) would be day to build on a 5e framework... but wouldn’t feel like DnD anymore, which after 4e I would guess would be avoided

Yakk
2019-03-31, 08:07 PM
Anyhow, here is something I bashed together. It is probably over tuned. It drops fighting style and favored enemy and foe hunter, and makes spellcasting part of the conclave. In effect, it moves *further* from the Fighter.

1: Natural Explorer, Disruptive Strike
2: The Hunt (1d4), Ranger Conclave
3: Primeval Awareness, Fleet of Foot
4: ASI
5: Ranger Conclave Feature
6: Hide in Plain Sight
7: Ranger Conclave Feature
8: ASI
9: Vanish
10: The Hunt (1d6)
11: Ranger Conclave Feature
12: ASI
13: Ranger Conclave Feature (unless spell caster conclave)
14: Feral Senses (UA)
15: Ranger Conclave Feature
16: ASI
17: Ranger Conclave Feature (unless spell caster conclave)
18: The Hunt (1d8)
19: ASI
20: Perfect Hunter (1d10)

The Hunt:
As an action you may attempt to start a Hunt of specific creature. To do so, you must be able to see (or otherwise detect) the creature, be following its specific tracks, or otherwise have evidence of it as a specific individual. To begin The Hunt, make a Knowledge Check based on the creature's type (as determined by the DM) with a bonus equal to half your Ranger level, and a DC of 10 plus the creature's CR.

On success, you are Hunting that creature. When Hunting a creature, you gain bonuses against all creatures matching it's type (Beast, Plant, Dragon, Humanoid, etc), and other bonuses against that particular creature. You can be Hunting up to your wisdom bonus (min 1) creatures at once; when Hunting a new creature, you may drop an existing creature from your Hunted creatures. Killing a creature does not end The Hunt; you continue to gain the creature-type bonuses, but may find bonuses against the specific creature harder to use.

You roll an extra 1d4 to all ability checks and attack rolls against creatures matching a type of a creature you are Hunting. In addition, you deal an extra 1d4 damage with all one-handed and ranged weapon damage rolls against the specific Hunted creature, and gain a 1d4 bonus to all Saves the specific Hunted creature causes you to make.

At level 10 the dice you roll from the Hunt increases to 1d6, and 1d8 at level 18.

If you fail a check to begin The Hunt, you may not try again on that creature until you take a long rest.

Disruptive Strike:
As a reaction when an ally is hit by an attack, you may attempt to discrupt the attack. Make a weapon attack against the creature attacking. If your attack hits, the original attacker must reroll their attack with disadvantage.

You may do this up to wisdom bonus times between long rests, but no more often than your Ranger level.

Natural Explorer: (See UA)

Fleet of Foot: (See UA)

Ranger Conclave: At 2nd level you pick a Ranger Conclave. It grants various abilities.

Primeval Awareness: (See UA, except replace favored enemies with "specific creatures you are hunting")

Hide in Plain Sight: (See UA)

Vanish: (See UA)

Feral Senses: (See UA)

Perfect Hunter: At level 20, you can begin The Hunt as a bonus action instead of an action, and the die you use for the Hunt is 1d10. If you have taken a Long Rest since you began The Hunt of a specific creature, your die against that specific creature increases to 1d12.

Conclaves:
Conclaves that grant Spellcasting don't get features at 13 and 17. UA Conclaves are compatible, but you start them at level 2 instead of 3.

Beast Conclaves lets your Beast use The Hunt bonuses.

TODO: non-spellcasting Conclaves.

They are replaced with The Hunt, which is a Favored Enemy-flavoured ability that doesn't suck. Plus Disruptive Strike, which is the funnest 4e Ranger power updated to 5e.

The Hunt grants you a 1d4 scaling to 1d10/1d12 at level 20 bonus to a bunch of ****, including accuracy and damage. It requires you either to anticipate your foe (with tracking or scouting), or burn a full action in combat.

strangebloke
2019-04-01, 09:04 AM
At first blush it seems a lot weaker than the EK. Although there are a few real winners on the druid spell list (PwT and Healing Spirit, mostly) its nowhere near as good as the wizard spellist, particularly for the first six levels. Worse, there's no real synergy between PwT and any of the fighter class features, which is very different from how the EK interacts with Shadow Blade, Mage Armor, Shield, Blur etc. The Fighter/Ranger here can use feats to take Skulker and then use PWT to be really sneaky, but that's about it.

The EK is the strongest fighter subclass out there, so this is probably fine, power-wise, but this still feels awkward.

Corsair14
2019-04-01, 09:22 AM
I would say no but whatever. Rangers are skill monkeys attuned to nature and are light fighters, typically with a bow but known for two weapon fighting and being superior to other warrior classes in those narrow fields and often had a great pet. They are supposed to be the bounty hunter, Strider class, not happy in urban environments around people. Not as effective as a front line fighter due to light armor but mobile enough to be essentially a DPS class. They are supposed to have specialized knowledge on their favorited enemy and survival skills above and beyond in their preferred terrain on par with a druid and better at a wider range of skills than a typical class.

Unfortunately the actual rules are a let down which is why we have threads like this questioning the existence of the class. In Wizard's odd desire to nerf pet classes they screwed the pooch on Beast Masters. I think they over-did the spells and with how screwed up proficiencies are this edition and everyone being able to do everything almost as good as someone proficient in the skill, their skill bonuses really aren't that impressive. Their combat skills in their narrow field are supposed to out-do a fighter but as we know, that really doesn't happen with how the rules have changed since previous editions where being able to wield two weapons at second level effectively was a novelty that only rangers could really get away without burning lots of proficiencies to do.

In order to make the class somewhat different than an overskilled fighter, home brew is required, essentially nerfing the silly 5e proficiency skill system and buffing the pet rules(not necessarily buffing the pet itself). Those two things would probably be enough to make the Ranger a relevant class again.

Wildarm
2019-04-01, 09:59 AM
Swapping the Ranger Spell list to Druid seems a bit odd. Ranger spell list is very thematic for the class and creates mostly decent synergy.

Just spitballing but how about something like this instead. Would keep the focus on skills and short rest spell use and maintain the ranger spell list. 1 scaling spell slot per short rest would mesh well with the fighter resource model. Perhaps too strong on the already solid base fighter chassis but would be a different take on a fighter throwing in a dash of magic.

Level 3 - Skilled Hunter

Gain proficiency in 2 skills from the Ranger Skill list

Level 3 - Natural Magic

Once per short rest you can cast a spell from the ranger spell list. The maximum level of the spell is equal to your level/3 rounded down to a maximum of 5th level.

Level 7 - Evasive

You gain proficiency in dexterity saves

Level 10 - Skill Mastery

Gain expertise in the skills gained as part of your Skilled Hunter class feature

Level 15 - Master Skulker

You gain the benefits of the Skulker feat

Level 18 - Foe Slayer

Once per short rest you may mark an enemy for death. Your next weapon attack against the target this round that hits is a critical hit.

Spiritchaser
2019-04-01, 10:16 AM

I’ll dogpile on this one as well. One of the best fighter subclasses... too bad it didn’t make the official cut.

Ah well, it does at my table, and at my DMs as well.

Cikomyr
2019-04-01, 12:20 PM
Maybe a martial Druid? Extra attacks, some proficiencies, bonus on the animal companion?

PhoenixPhyre
2019-04-01, 02:13 PM
Maybe a martial Druid? Extra attacks, some proficiencies, bonus on the animal companion?

The problem is that giving an animal companion and making it effective uses up all of the budget for a subclass. And doing that on top of a full caster would be bonkers. Combined with wildshape and you have Sir Bearington of 3e fame.

GlenSmash!
2019-04-01, 03:33 PM

My favorite fighter. Too bad my DM doesn't allow UA.

Rukelnikov
2019-04-01, 03:51 PM

Nah, you got it all wrong, Barbarians are a subclass of Ranger

Daphne
2019-04-01, 04:57 PM
My favorite fighter. Too bad my DM doesn't allow UA.

It's my second favorite after Monster Hunter. Too bad I'm a forever DM.