PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Yuan-Ti Pureblood: Can they identify one another through smell?

Merudo
2019-03-30, 01:08 PM
In the MM it is said that humans can't smell Yuan-Ti Purebloods, but that animals can.

Would that mean that Yuan-Ti Purebloods can identify one another through smell?

DrKerosene
2019-03-30, 01:38 PM
In the MM it is said that humans can't smell Yuan-Ti Purebloods, but that animals can.

I was not aware of this... is this for 5e?

I assume they don’t have any innate way to sense eachother, or I would expect it to be explicitly stated.

Unoriginal
2019-03-30, 03:05 PM

Would that mean that Yuan-Ti Purebloods can identify one another through smell?

Yuan-ti Purebloods are not animals (except for in which reign they belong), nor is it mentioned they have a better-than-human smell sense.

JackPhoenix
2019-03-30, 03:22 PM
I don't see any mention of any special interaction between Yuan-ti and smell, humanoid or animal, anywhere in the MM.

Dr. Cliché
2019-03-30, 03:52 PM
Would a wild-shaped Druid be able to smell one?

Dalebert
2019-03-30, 05:08 PM
I don't see any mention of any special interaction between Yuan-ti and smell, humanoid or animal, anywhere in the MM.

Maybe in Volo's Guide?

OmSwaOperations
2019-03-31, 09:01 AM
Not to be too flippant, but... what do you think would work best in your game?

If you want the Yuan-Ti to be more of a subtle threat, then them being able to detect each other though smell would be a great element of that.

If you want to give the party clues that enable them to discover a Yuan-Ti infiltration, then having the Yuan-Ti have to use codewords or secret signs to identify one another would probably be a better option, as the player's could then use those signs to discover Yuan-Ti (or pretend to be them).

Dalebert
2019-03-31, 09:29 PM
Not to be too flippant, but... what do you think would work best in your game?

You have some good tips for a DM but you've assumed he's DMing a game. He might be a player with a yuan-ti character or maybe he's considering playing one or maybe he's just curious. I'm curious myself if there's anything to this based on the actual 5e books but I'm skeptical.

Sigreid
2019-03-31, 10:54 PM
Nothing in anything I've read indicates that they would be able to detect each other any more readily than a human would be able to detect them.

Edit: I suppose hypothetically a ranger (perhaps only and undead ranger) with the appropriate favored enemy could conduct their little ritual and detect the yuan-ti in the area.