PDA

View Full Version : Energy Substitution: Negative

TomTheRat
2007-10-01, 12:34 AM
Is possible?

Anyone know if there is a class/prestige that lets it happen?

I'm headed for a Necropolitan wizard if it wasn't obvious.

Dhavaer
2007-10-01, 12:39 AM
Lord of the Uttercold replaces half a spell's cold damage with negative energy damage.

Jasdoif
2007-10-01, 12:43 AM
The subject of energy substitution (negative) came up a little while ago, and Shhalahr made an excellent case. To summarize: Since there's no descriptor for negative energy, and negative isn't described as an energy type in the PHB's glossary, it's not a valid choice.

Like Dhavaer said, you might be interested in Lord of the Uttercold (Complete Arcane). Combine with cold resistance or immunity to cold.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-10-01, 01:39 AM
Nope, not possible with the Energy Subsitution feat.

To parrot the two correct people above me, Lord of the Uttercold makes have your damage Negative Energy damage when it applies. Great for casting Energy Substituted Lord of the Uttercold Fireballs into your swarms of skeletal minions.

AslanCross
2007-10-01, 05:28 AM
On a related subject, can an Archmage's Mastery of Elements change the cold part of a spell that has already been prepared as an Uttercold spell into another energy type? For example, I have an uttercold cone of cold. As I cast it, could I change the cold part into say, acid, keeping the negative half (which can't be changed anyway)?

Fixer
2007-10-01, 06:02 AM
On a related subject, can an Archmage's Mastery of Elements change the cold part of a spell that has already been prepared as an Uttercold spell into another energy type? For example, I have an uttercold cone of cold. As I cast it, could I change the cold part into say, acid, keeping the negative half (which can't be changed anyway)?

My vote would be yes.

puppyavenger
2007-10-01, 06:20 AM
Look into the fell draining metamagic,

leperkhaun
2007-10-01, 06:48 AM
another option is to just create a spell that does negetive energy damage.

Although a negetive energy fireball will be higher than 3rd i think.

TomTheRat
2007-10-01, 01:51 PM
Yeah, I hit basically every book and didn't find a lot of options. Except maybe critting energy drain spells on myself or something. The other way to go would be Summon Undead, there must be a low HD mob that only does negative energy damage.

Ideas?

Jasdoif
2007-10-01, 02:11 PM
Offhand....Get a ring of energy resistance (cold), then cast an Uttercold-ed wall of fire (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/wallOfFire.htm). The energy resistance will keep you from taking cold damage, while you're being healed by the negative energy portion. Don't forget that the spell deals double damage to undead, so standing within 10 feet does 4d4, split evenly into negative and cold. That puts the cold damage at a maximum of 8, which even a minor ring of energy resistance will block.

With the concentration plus round/level duration, a single cast is all you'll need to restore your HP to full. You're not taking any damage because of the ring, so you don't have to make concentration checks. Heck, it's even wand-able, although you may have to make the wand yourself.

TomTheRat
2007-10-01, 02:16 PM
Undead = immune to cold, I believe.

I'm looking for something lower level than that though, with the energy substitution it'd be a 5th level spell, and unfortunately the party is starting at 8th.

Jasdoif
2007-10-01, 02:20 PM
Undead = immune to cold, I believe.No. It's common, but not all of them have it. I specifically checked the Necropolitan last night, they don't gain immunity to cold.

I'm looking for something lower level than that though, with the energy substitution it'd be a 5th level spell, and unfortunately the party is starting at 8th.Energy Substitution and Lord of the Uttercold both say the spell occupies a slot of its usual level. Unless one of them has been reprinted since Complete Arcane...or I just plain remember it wrong.

TomTheRat
2007-10-01, 04:46 PM
No. It's common, but not all of them have it. I specifically checked the Necropolitan last night, they don't gain immunity to cold.
Energy Substitution and Lord of the Uttercold both say the spell occupies a slot of its usual level. Unless one of them has been reprinted since Complete Arcane...or I just plain remember it wrong.

Damn. You are so right.

Making the Uttercold option less and less attractive. Gotta find me a summonable negative energy wielding mob. :/

Kaelik
2007-10-01, 07:12 PM
Damn. You are so right.

Making the Uttercold option less and less attractive. Gotta find me a summonable negative energy wielding mob. :/

Why is that less attractive? A Fireball is 3rd level. A Uttercold Fireball is 3rd lvl. That's good.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-10-01, 07:26 PM
Why is that less attractive? A Fireball is 3rd level. A Uttercold Fireball is 3rd lvl. That's good.
I think the issue is lack of cold immunity.

Yeah, Tom shoulda snipped the quote if that's the case.

Jasdoif
2007-10-01, 07:38 PM
Well, if the ring of minor energy resistance is outside the budget, resist energy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/resistEnergy.htm) would work too (for the wall of uttercold proposal above). Not as convenient, though.

CthulhuM
2007-10-02, 12:07 AM
If you really want unlimited out-of-combat healing for yourself, you could take a level of dread necromancer and just use their at-will negative energy touch.

It's probably not worth it, though.