PDA

View Full Version : Help me make a Vaarsuvius lvl 1 wizard in DnD5!

Erzhinger
2019-03-30, 05:32 PM
Hello!

We are currently playing DnD5 and I, of course, want to play a single class wizard - Vaarsuvius style.

With this I mean a snobby behaviour, extreme confidence in the arcane arts, and the power to back it up with extreme arcane force (“Disintegrate. Disintegrate again”)

In order to play the character I want, he sort of must be power-gamed to 101%

However, we are currently at lvl 1 and will most likely not get further than lvl 5. I don´t know much about DnD5 and don’t know how to optimize my character to do proper displays of extreme arcane force (preferably with evocation type spells of fire and lightning).

I have understood that wizards in DnD3.5 were overpowered (and that Vaarsuvius in the comic is displaying this), and also that DnD5 have remedied this.

I have at lvl 1:
-Fire Bolt, Light, Prestigidation
-Witch Bolt, Magic Missile, Shield, Mage armour, Find Familiar and Sleep.

However, what spells and choices should I make for lvl 2 and 3 (single class wizard) to make him the most overpowered? Is there anything I can do to improve defences, since all NPC:s apparently target the wizard first? Power-stuff I’m looking at is ways to unleash lots of damage in a short time - no problem if I get depleted (works with the character concept).

First session has worked out fine - apparently I can do two Fire Bolts per round using my bonus action(?) which makes me pretty destructive in comparison to the rest of the gang (they are not power-gamed up).

OldTrees1
2019-03-30, 11:25 PM
Please remember that Vaarsuvius started out at lower level at the beginning of the comic. They did not start with the "Disintegrate ... Disintegrate again". We first see them nova after they just gained a spell level (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0012.html). Even then they just unloaded 2 3rd level spells and a 4th level spell (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0020.html). That means Vaarsuvius started at 6th level minimum and you only saw them nova at 7th+ level. So your 1st-5th level Wizard will be like Vaarsuvius before the prequel to OOTS. Once you reach 5th level you will get to enjoy your signature 3rd level spell [Fireball].

So what options does an evoker have before then? Well Dragon Breath is an interesting 2nd level spell that lets you spam Burning Hands once per round. Flaming Sphere is a tricky 2nd level spell but can be useful. Vaarsuvius has used Invisibility to good effect.

No, you can't cast Firebolt as a Bonus Action. It has a 1 action casting time. Spells that can/do take your bonus action will specify 1 bonus action casting time. Misty Step is a good example of a bonus action 2nd level spell.

5th edition does a decent job of having high optimization floors and low optimization ceilings. So your character will probably be roughly as strong as the level expects you to be. (Maybe cast Firebolt instead of Witchbolt :P) So, without trying, your character will be similar to an appropriate level version of Vaarsuvius.

ImproperJustice
2019-03-30, 11:45 PM
V also seems to keep a healthy library of iconic and handy utility spells as well.

I would definitely pack some of the 5e “All stars” such as Feather Fall, Detect Magic, Identify, Find Familiar, Comprehend Languages, Misty Step, and Invisibility.

Gives you a nice mix of mobility and utility, especially via ritual casting.

GreyBlack
2019-03-31, 02:00 AM
V also seems to keep a healthy library of iconic and handy utility spells as well.

I would definitely pack some of the 5e “All stars” such as Feather Fall, Detect Magic, Identify, Find Familiar, Comprehend Languages, Misty Step, and Invisibility.

Gives you a nice mix of mobility and utility, especially via ritual casting.

Problem: V can't teleport, even at short ranges because of the Conjuration ban. So probably not misty step.

Rest look fine.

Erzhinger
2019-03-31, 04:59 AM
So what options does an evoker have before then? Well Dragon Breath is an interesting 2nd level spell that lets you spam Burning Hands once per round. Flaming Sphere is a tricky 2nd level spell but can be useful. Vaarsuvius has used Invisibility to good effect.

No, you can't cast Firebolt as a Bonus Action. It has a 1 action casting time. Spells that can/do take your bonus action will specify 1 bonus action casting time. Misty Step is a good example of a bonus action 2nd level spell.

5th edition does a decent job of having high optimization floors and low optimization ceilings. So your character will probably be roughly as strong as the level expects you to be. (Maybe cast Firebolt instead of Witchbolt :P) So, without trying, your character will be similar to an appropriate level version of Vaarsuvius.

Thanks for the clarification about the Fire Bolt. I think we missed that some spells have an actual casting time of "bonus action", and misinterpreting the rules in the beginning of the chapter. It really felt like it was the wrong interpretation as well...

Fire Bolt is my attack-cantrip, and Witch Bolt my best lvl 1 spell. Is there some other 1st level spell than Witch Bolt that would be a better damage dealer when I hit 2nd level and get more 1st level spells for my spellbook?

OldTrees1
2019-03-31, 05:56 AM
Fire Bolt is my attack-cantrip, and Witch Bolt my best lvl 1 spell. Is there some other 1st level spell than Witch Bolt that would be a better damage dealer when I hit 2nd level and get more 1st level spells for my spellbook?

Yes, I have found Burning Hands to be a decent burst of damage. Burning Hands deals 3d6 fire damage to roughly 2-3 targets. Combined with some Fire Bolts on your other turns and that should be consistently more damage than Witch Bolt.

Although Magic Missile has its own benefits from its 3d4+3 (roughly equivalent to 3d6). Magic Missile deals less damage than Burning Hands, but cannot be avoided (unless they burn a spell slot to cast Shield that round).