PDA

View Full Version : [Forgotten Realms] Sun Soul Beliefs?

Archpaladin Zousha
2019-03-30, 08:20 PM
While the Way of the Sun Soul is probably now most known as the Monastic Tradition in 5e that lets you fire Hadoukens and Kamehameha blasts, the Order of the Sun Soul has existed in Forgotten Realms lore since before 5e, and I was looking for a bit more info about them. Their article on the Forgotten Realms wiki (https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Order_of_the_Sun_Soul) has some information about their history, but there's very little there on what they actually BELIEVED, the spiritual practices they had, etc. So I wonder if there are folks on these forums more well-versed in Sun Soul lore who'd be willing to share some details, or maybe have played a Sun Soul monk as a PC or DMed for someone who did. Basically I'm wondering what draws someone to join the Order of the Sun Soul, and essentially, how do you roleplay these folks? Thank you! :smallsmile:

Constructman
2019-03-30, 10:15 PM
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050601a&page=4

"Monks of the Sun Soul Order believe that they each harbor a small fragment of the sun's divine essence, long absent from the Realms. Brothers and sisters of the Order of the Sun Soul are trained to tap into the "spiritual light" within -- a tradition that developed during Amaunator's slow decline -- and manifest it externally. The monks are loosely affiliated with the faiths of Lathander, Selūne, and Sune, and they share many common concerns with those churches. Staunch opponents of darkness, evil, and chaos, the Sun Soul monks serve as crusaders against churches of evil deities, defenders of the common folk, and protectors of sites sacred to deities of light and good."

Basically, they're a monastic cult that used to worship Amaunator -- the Netherese sun god -- before switching to worship of Lathander -- the Faerunian sun god, Selune -- goddess of the moon, and Sune -- goddess of beauty. Reading up on those gods and their clergy wouldn't hurt.

Millstone85
2019-03-31, 07:00 AM
5e SCAG gives them three tenets, called the Precepts of Incandescence.

Seek physical perfection. To open the way for the sun soul to manifest, one should strive to make the body beautiful. Fitness, cleanliness, and well-honed physicality create a clearer window through which the light can shine. This precept is emphasized by the followers of Sune.

Seek spiritual virtue. Recognize the light in others, not just the darkness. Grant and take each new chance to be virtuous. This precept is emphasized by the followers of Lathander.

Shine light into darkness. Share the soul's light with the world. Light up dark places with your presence and banish shadow. This precept is emphasized by the followers of Selūne.

Oddly enough, there is no mention of Sun Soul monks returning to Amaunator now that he is resurrected and widely regarded as the true sun god. Lathander is still popular, but as the god of dawn, symbolizing new beginnings such as founding a family, a community, or an alliance.

Mechalobster
2019-03-31, 09:25 AM
One of the NPC Companions you can get in Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition is Rasaad, a Sun Soul Monk. Quite a bit of dialogue that you have with him involves the Order of the Sun Soul and how he joined it.

Millstone85
2019-03-31, 11:15 AM
One of the NPC Companions you can get in Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition is Rasaad, a Sun Soul Monk. Quite a bit of dialogue that you have with him involves the Order of the Sun Soul and how he joined it.In short, he was a street urchin who tried to pickpocket a monk. Said monk caught him in the act and brought him to a monastery, where Rasaad received food, shelter, work, and the teachings of the Sun Soul.

Certainly not the only way one would join the Order, but probably not an unique case either.

A fun thing with the Sun Soul monks is that the churches gave them flak for preaching that Lathander, Selūne, and Sune, had inherited the light of Amaunator, and that Lathander in particular might have started as an aspect of Amaunator. Then, in 4e, Amaunator and Lathander did a fusion dance, seemingly confirming that belief. In 5e, they are separate again.

Similarly, Rasaad's quest in BG2 involves a sect that believes Selūne and Shar to be the same goddess. That would be much more of an alignment conflict than Amaunator and Lathander, but who knows?

Archpaladin Zousha
2019-04-01, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the information everyone! I...think I might need to go back and actually play the Baldur's Gate games now. They've been sitting in my Steam Library for too long. :smallredface:

Studoku
2019-04-03, 08:32 AM
One of the NPC Companions you can get in Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition is Rasaad, a Sun Soul Monk. Quite a bit of dialogue that you have with him involves the Order of the Sun Soul and how he joined it.

What is he? Some sort of kickpuncher?

Millstone85
2019-04-03, 08:51 AM
What is he? Some sort of kickpuncher?What?! I can't hear you over the battle music of the bounty hunter he just helped me defeat. Someone should really tell the musicians that the fight is over.