PDA

View Full Version : Spells/Abilities That Inflict the Prone Condition

Sparky McDibben
2019-03-31, 10:06 AM
Hey guys,

What spells or ranged abilities do you know of that inflict the prone condition? Preferably with a Strength or Charisma save. Trying to bring a flying PC down to the ground.

LuccMa
2019-03-31, 10:25 AM
Earthbind should be your best bet. I dont think there are spells that inflict prone with Cha saves.

Shuruke
2019-03-31, 10:26 AM
Um

Well warlock smite
Martial adept Or tactician fighter

Earthbind

Pretty sure restraining would also cause falling
So nets
Entangle
Web

Most prone effects are on the ground

JackPhoenix
2019-03-31, 10:29 AM
Every official spell that inflicts Prone condition:
Command: Paladin/Cleric, level 1, Wis save
Earth Tremor (XGtE): Bard/Druid/Sorcerer/Wizard, level 1, Dex save. Doesn't work on flying target
Grease: Wizard, level 1, Dex save. Doesn't work on flying target
Tasha's Hideous Laughter: Bard/Wizard, level 1, Wis save
Thunderous Smite: Paladin, level 1, Str save. Melee range.
Sleet Storm: Druid/Sorcerer/Wizard, level 3, Dex save. Doesn't work on flying target
Tidal Wave (XGtE): Druid/Sorcerer/Wizard, level 3, Dex save. Unlikely to work on flying target, but nothing technically prevents you from creating the wave mid-air.
Watery Sphere (XGtE): Druid/Sorcerer/Wizard, level 4, Dex save. Unlikely to work on flying target.
Control Winds (XGtE): Druid/Sorcerer/Wizard, level 5, Str save.
Destructive Wave: Paladin, level 5, Con save. Despite description, should work if the caster's flying.
Wrath of Nature (XGtE): Druid/Ranger, level 5, Str save.
Investiture of Stone (XGtE): Druid/Sorcerer/Warlock/Wizard, level 6, Dex save. Doesn't work on flying target.
Earthquake: Cleric/Druid/Sorcerer, level 8, Dex save. Can affect flying target if it's near or inside building.

Bonus:
Earthbind (XGtE): Druid/Sorcerer/Warlock/Wizard, level 2, Str save. Doesn't inflict prone, but sets flying speed to 0. Doesn't work if the target rides flying *object*

Creatures: too many to bother listing.

Sparky McDibben
2019-03-31, 10:42 AM
Bingo! Control winds will do the trick I think.

Just some context, we've been running a campaign and have hit level 25. My player has a 1 hour/day 60' flying speed, a kickass bow, and she's up against two epic NPC enemies (a barbarian and a druid) accompanied by a devourer (from Volo's). Needed something to either a) shut down the fly speed or b) give her disadvantage on ranged attacks. Thanks, all!!

Lunali
2019-03-31, 10:47 AM
Wind Wall will also work as long as you set the fight indoors or somewhere with an effective height limitation like a forest with a dense canopy.

BigPixie
2019-03-31, 12:26 PM
A sharpshooter BM Fighter action surging will bring it down pretty fast although not nessecarely alive.:smallbiggrin:
*Excuse terrible spelling

stoutstien
2019-03-31, 12:41 PM
Bingo! Control winds will do the trick I think.

Just some context, we've been running a campaign and have hit level 25. My player has a 1 hour/day 60' flying speed, a kickass bow, and she's up against two epic NPC enemies (a barbarian and a druid) accompanied by a devourer (from Volo's). Needed something to either a) shut down the fly speed or b) give her disadvantage on ranged attacks. Thanks, all!!
Without a second thought I'd just have the druid summon a bunch of flying X.
somebody get something that Drew is excel at so it doesn't feel like you're purposely designing the encounter to counter that player. giant owls can form a literal wall of feathers or a single air element/ invisible stalker (if they have the prep time).

Chronos
2019-03-31, 02:47 PM
Note that prone or zeroing out movement only grounds flyers if they're flying nonmagically and can't hover. How is the PC able to fly?

LudicSavant
2019-03-31, 07:36 PM
A Sharpshooter Battlemaster's Trip Attack is a great way to do it, particularly because of the range: 600 feet. And the chance of success: 1 save per attack you attach a superiority die to.