PDA

View Full Version : Pandorym boss fight?

danielxcutter
2019-03-31, 10:15 AM
Okay, a while back, I had a thread called Mind-Shards-of-Pandorym (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?541081-Mind-Shards-of-Pandorym), talking about, yes, the boss fight against a released Mind Shard of Pandorym(and the flunkies, obviously).

There are one or two things we didn't manage to talk about though, and I'm curious what results the forum will come up with this time.

The new points:

Mind Shards have both Inertial Armor as a ML 20 PLA, and Force Screen as a known power. I'm not sure, but the math for the AC doesn't exactly match up - wouldn't an augumented ML 20 Inertial Armor grant a +12 to AC, for AC 37? Still, with a fully augumented Force Screen that's a quite respectable 45 AC - at least, you'll at least have to try to hit it, not just "check for nat 20s and 1s" like I've heard some people say of high-level combat.
Also, several powers on a Mind Shard's list use XP - but that's covered by Psionics(Ex), which gives a Shard 20k free XP to burn for them. Said powers include Bend Reality(yipes), Psychic Chirurgery(could have it's uses maybe?), Apopsi(oof), and Reality Revision(oh gods). This increases manifesting flexibility considerably, but also lets the Shard practically spam some of those, or at least use them more than once. Reality Revision in particular can bring the Shard(and any other surviving allies, if any) back to full health, among the other varied usages of the power, so... yeah.

Might be other points I missed, but well... these seem at least considerable, on top of the points brought up in the last thread. Thoughts?

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-03-31, 10:31 AM
Ah, Pandorym. I have fond good fun memories of him.

Just as an aside, some time ago I played a shaper psion 5/anarchic initiate 10/psionic wild mage 5 in an elder elvis evils campaign, and the party reached the final encounter with Pandorym. Lucather Majii, Pandorym's servant/thrall, managed to completely debilitate the whole party, but given that I had specialized in overcoming my psychic enervation (and a few similar effects as a side effect), I managed to shrug it off. I actually had to take on Lucather Majii and a mindshard of Pandorym by myself, while Obligatum VII began hacking away at the prison with a weapon that the stupid thrall had just given him in the next room. Luckily, I'd optimized really well, and I took down everything but the kolyarut in a few rounds and one-shotted the dumb-as-a-doorknob inevitable, but not before it actually released Pandorym's mind. Normally, this would lead to the entire multiverse being completely effed, but the DM allowed me to attempt to delay the elder evil while it tried to withdraw so it could reach its body, in the hopes that the effect that had stunned the rest of the party would wear off. The DM had actually statted out a higher level version of a mind shard, which was a real bitch to fight. I tried to hit it with a complete chaotic breach, but it succeeded on its Will save. I managed to hold it off for a full 4 rounds as the breach came into existence (right at the Spawning Stone, rolled randomly, no less), and I hit it with a telekinetic maneuver* and forced it through the portal. My last view of the abomination was an extremely ticked off Ssendam and Ygorl destroying it.

So [chaotic breach is] not entirely useless. It actually managed to save the entire multiverse at least once.

*Luckily, TK maneuver doesn't allow a save, I'd found a way to negate power resistance entirely, and Pandorym's mind, being a Strength-less incorporeal being, absolutely sucked at grappling. Apparently, that was its only real weakness, as the DM hadn't thought anyone could grapple an incorporeal creature; I proved him wrong.A surprising number of his powers are mind-affecting and can be flat-out noped with mind blank.

danielxcutter
2019-03-31, 04:47 PM
Ah, Pandorym. I have fond good fun memories of him.

A surprising number of his powers are mind-affecting and can be flat-out noped with mind blank.

Well, yes. We talked about that in the previous thread. The thing is, while Mind Blank does negate a lot of the Shard's nastiest tricks, it still has a lot of blasting, plus both it and Lucather are capable of dispelling the pants off the party if so inclined. Same case for Lucather's Fell Drained spells and Death Ward, for that matter.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the Seal of Binding would have interfered with the breach, since it's a planar-based effect... did you guys manage to get there before it reached Overwhelming strength?

Bad Wolf
2019-03-31, 06:54 PM
One of the problems with the Elder Evils is that they're pretty weak for world-ending abominations. Carbon is supposed to be the ancient leader of the baatorians, but a dedicated Malconvoker can make him his/her pet.

Seeing as how Pandorym is supposed to be a god-killing being from another reality, its shards seem pretty appropriately powered. CR is probably off, though.

Also WoTC always messes up NPC blocks. Build it back up from the start and see if it makes sense to you.

StevenC21
2019-04-01, 02:14 AM
Gah! Do not get me started on how annoyed I am about Mr. CR 16 "God Tier threat".

If this guy supposedly ruled the nine hells, why didn't the Abyss just send over a Balor. One Balor. That's literally it. He is miserably weak, ESPECIALLY with his fluff that was so incredibly cool. Most disappointing monster I've ever seen.