PDA

View Full Version : Underrated high-level subclasses?

hwem
2019-03-31, 10:53 AM
What are some underrated subclasses in high levels? It can be for any class. Love to hear your experiences and thoughts.

stoutstien
2019-03-31, 12:51 PM
4 ele monks- hard to get there but once they get the higher lv disciplines and a large ki pool they are solid
champion- can match a barbarian in terms of staying power and damage but with an extra asi/feat.
wild magic sorc- if DM allows magic surges to happen frequently this can a powerful subclass.
bm ranger- clunky but once you get spell share.....

hwem
2019-03-31, 06:01 PM
Champion seemed boring but it definitely really strong at high level when I saw it play out!

Wild sorcerer is something I still have yet to see.

kenGarff
2019-03-31, 10:36 PM
Fighter: Samurai. That advantage on will and Strength Before Death are awesome.
Barbarian: No comment
Bard: No comment
Moon: I honestly like all druid circles, aside from spore. They are all great. It's just that moon is really good at what it does.
Monk: No comment
Paladin: Oathbreaker. It could be that it's not being discussed much or used simply because it's intended to be more of an enemy. But my goodness, it's so strong. And it was fantastic to play it in an evil party!
Ranger: No comment
Rogue: No comment
Warlock: No comment
Sorcerer: No comment
Wizard: I have a high-level conjurer on my party and the ability to teleport and use uninterruptible, via damage, conjurations have been amazing. I know this is considered one of the two worst wizard schools but it's been amazing at least in high-level combat.

Yakmala
2019-04-01, 03:04 PM
Way of the Long Death Monk.

Your level 11 ability, Mastery of Death, allows you to spend 1 Ki point when you are reduced to 0 HP to have 1 HP instead.

This does not take an action, bonus action or reaction. Just spend the Ki point.

Now let's assume you are a Level 20 and you get at least 1 short rest per adventure.

Depending on how much of your Ki you spend on other abilities, that's up to 40 times per adventure you can avoid being killed.

ImproperJustice
2019-04-01, 03:11 PM
Seconding Chanpion and 4e Monk.

Both are much stronger at higher levels.