PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [Spheres of Might] Minimal Pieces

Ualaa
2019-03-31, 12:07 PM
Our group requires Hero Lab files (all builds in HL).
We very recently got the Might files!

A Conscript, between their talent per level...
And their bonus feat (if they don't take any specialization/combat benefit) per even level...
Which can be extra combat talent...

A talent per level.
A bonus talent per odd (or maybe even) level.
A bonus feat per even (or maybe odd) level, used for an extra talent.

So what two talent combinations are your favorites...
Each Conscript level could be two talents.
If it starts decent, and builds (nice too).

One guy is built on Vital Strike, taking opportunity attacks, has reach.
Good defense, decent damage, would like to improve his Opportunity Attacks.
Dual daggers, vorpal +5s.

One guy is having issues basically automatically being hit (good AC, but our numbers are inflated so the mobs are boosted too... and the three others with his AC are ranged in the back, while the two with an AC around +20 to his are in melee with him)... if it matters, he is full attack Flurry of Blows type build.
Hits like a truck, but mobs only miss him on a natural 1.

We're 12th level, gestalt, mythic with a tier of half our level (increasing automatically at even levels).
They're both +11 BAB, at character level 12.

Any suggestions I can give them would rock.

Thanks for your input.

JerichoPenumbra
2019-04-01, 01:03 AM
Your wording seems a little... odd. Are they all gestalted with Conscript? And is this just input for the two that you mentioned? What are their other classes? Are Advanced Talents allowed?

For the one fighting with dual daggers, the Fencing and Dueling Spheres seem to be perfect for them.

For the one with issues getting hit, if boosting his AC isn't viable then perhaps embracing being hit may be a better solution. Pick-up the Berserker Sphere to get temporary HP that they can renew each round. Also pick up the Guardian Sphere with the Endure Pain and Greater Delayed Damage talents. Endure converts damage from the damage pool to non-lethal damage and as a reminder, non-lethal damage heals at a rate of 1 per character level every 15 minutes and every point of magical healing toward lethal damage also heals an equal amount of non-lethal damage. As a side question, what is this guy's build currently? SoM is somewhat hard-lined in discouraging full attack actions.

StSword
2019-04-01, 03:30 AM
For attack of opportunity fun, take Fencing- Ankle Strike with Open Hand- Snap Kick.

With every attack action or attack of opportunity you get to make a free trip attack, which thanks to Snap Kick then provokes an attack of opportunity every time you successfully trip someone. And when they get up, they provoke another attack of opportunity from you.

Take the Dual Wielding talent Dual Opportunity and you can can, once a round, attack with both weapons in an attack of opportunity.

So you could attack someone twice, trying to trip them for free, and if you succeed then get two attacks of opportunity.

And when they get up, you get another attack of opportunity, which means another free chance to trip them, to rinse and repeat.

Ssalarn
2019-04-01, 09:37 AM
[...]

And when they get up, you get another attack of opportunity, which means another free chance to trip them, to rinse and repeat.

Note that in Pathfinder you can't trip someone with an AoO they provoke by standing up. (https://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9n8a) The AoO resolves before the triggering action, so the target is still prone and can't be tripped again.

Ualaa
2019-04-02, 12:26 AM
None of us have really played with Might much, but have read the book a little.
Here and there, during the playtest thread/beta period.
But our live game requires hero lab files, which were just released.

Pretty much, everything is on the table, legendary talents included.
The guy running it, wants over the top crazy strong stuff.

The campaign is in progress, and we're currently 12th level.
One of my players is running it, while I do prep for The Blight.
The items/gear is crazy, and all the numbers are very inflated.

The two builds in question...
Basically, the two characters who immediately wanted to add Conscript to one side of their gestalt builds.
Conscript for maximum talents, since the builds weren't planned with Might... just adding what they can to an already in progress build.

Opportunity Guy
01 Warder | Psion
02 Stalker | Tactician
03 Warder | Tactician
04 Warder | Tactician
05 Warder | Tactician
06 Warder | Tactician
07 Mageknight | Tactician
08 Mageknight | Tactician
09 Awakened Blade | Tactician
10 Awakened Blade | Mageknight
11 Awakened Blade | Mageknight
12 Awakened Blade | Warder

Opportunity guy has good AC, decent attacks, mythic bonuses on opportunity attacks... his build is solid, and he's echoing the best buffs that benefit his build. A natural 20 ends a lot of threats, and Vital/Improved Vital/mythic on both/Seize the Opportunity... that adds up. Conscript is more, making the solid build nastier.

Monk Guy With Lower AC
00 Advanced Creature (One level on both sides)
01 U.Monk | Symbiat
02 Warlord | Fey Adept (Unseelie)
03 Mageknight | Fey Adept
04 Mageknight | Fey Adept
05 U.Monk | Fey Adept
06 U.Monk | Fey Adept
07 U.Monk | Fey Adept
08 Warlord | Fey Adept
09 U.Monk | Fey Adept
10 U.Monk | Fey Adept
11 U.Monk | Fey Adept

His focus is on massive Strength, with moderate Dex/Con/Int/Wis/Cha, and all six stats does stuff for his build. Rather MAD, in optimization terms.
Definitely likes to full attack / Flurry of Blows, with the sneak dice from Fey Adept (Unseelie Disciple).

The in melee guys are AC 99, AC 94, and the Monk AC 76.
The at range guys are AC 74, AC 76, AC 78 and AC 84.

Normally I'd say 76 is really good AC.
But everyone's numbers are inflated.

The player (DM for this one) is basically taking "interesting" mobs, and giving them modifiers in Hero Lab.
Things along the lines of +50 Base Attack, +50 Deflection AC, +50 Damage, +25 Saves, +1000 Health.

So really, it's not a lot different than having normal gearing, with two melee range guys at say 45AC and another melee range guy at 25AC. And then ranged guys at 25AC.

It just sucks if you're hit on a 3 or higher, and are also in the mob's face.

I like the idea of recommended Delayed Damage Pool (x5) and Endure Pain; soak damage, and 50 points of healing would cure 100 damage (50 real damage taken and 50 non-lethal in the DDP).

Thanks for the suggestions.

StSword
2019-04-02, 11:40 AM
Do the hero labs include the sphere of Blood?

The sphere of Blood allows one to, with the right talents, do bleed damage to an enemy and gain temporary hit points equal to the bleed damage.

The guy who always gets hit might want to consider that.

And since you're using spheres of power, there's an even better trick with Guardian and that whole "convert lethal damage to nonlethal damage" trick- Life sphere, with the Painkiller talent, will cure nonlethal damage without a spell point expenditure.

Perhaps add in Deeper Invigorate to double the temporary hit points and non lethal healed, or Greater Invigorate to add one's casting ability modifier (which would then be doubled if you also have Deeper Invigorate) if one feels that healing 10 points with a standard action, for free, is too slow.

Eldest
2019-04-02, 02:39 PM
Does the monk have any sort of miss chance yet?

JerichoPenumbra
2019-04-02, 05:25 PM
Unfortunately, I don't think multi-stacking miss chances from the Illusion Sphere is viable since the OP said that everything is required to be done in hero lab and DDS hasn't made the hero lab files for the last couple of handbooks yet (particularly the Trickster's Handbook). As for suggestions for the party, egads those numbers. I'm not sure what we can suggest that provide meaningful assistance compared to some of the Path of War stuff.

AoO GuyTM should definitely get the Duelist Sphere and look at what the advanced talents of that sphere have to offer. Guardian Sphere would also be useful for them to pick-up for the Swift Reflexes talent to get even more AoOs a round while Martial Focused. Seize the Opportunity feat is borderline op in SoM since things that would normally happen once per turn can now trigger multiple times, but then again that's what the DM asked for. From what you've implied they probably have a decent handle on the system, they just need some time to figure out what they want to accomplish.

For the other one (Tank(?) Monk; "Tonk" or "Mank" [take your pick]), he should take the Punishment Advanced Talent along with Cold Iron Call and Durable. Based on the text, the implication I think is that dealing damage from the delayed damage pool removes it entirely. (Anyone got an better interpretation?) Other than that, I hope he does well.

Eldest
2019-04-02, 07:59 PM
Unfortunately, I don't think multi-stacking miss chances from the Illusion Sphere is viable since the OP said that everything is required to be done in hero lab and DDS hasn't made the hero lab files for the last couple of handbooks yet (particularly the Trickster's Handbook). As for suggestions for the party, egads those numbers. I'm not sure what we can suggest that provide meaningful assistance compared to some of the Path of War stuff.

AoO GuyTM should definitely get the Duelist Sphere and look at what the advanced talents of that sphere have to offer. Guardian Sphere would also be useful for them to pick-up for the Swift Reflexes talent to get even more AoOs a round while Martial Focused. Seize the Opportunity feat is borderline op in SoM since things that would normally happen once per turn can now trigger multiple times, but then again that's what the DM asked for. From what you've implied they probably have a decent handle on the system, they just need some time to figure out what they want to accomplish.

For the other one (Tank(?) Monk; "Tonk" or "Mank" [take your pick]), he should take the Punishment Advanced Talent along with Cold Iron Call and Durable. Based on the text, the implication I think is that dealing damage from the delayed damage pool removes it entirely. (Anyone got an better interpretation?) Other than that, I hope he does well.

Who said anything about miss chance from magic? (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/athletics#toc33) Stacking isn't even really all that important, so much as looping the martial focus (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/athletics#toc18). The first miss chance is the biggest improvement, after all.

JerichoPenumbra
2019-04-02, 08:33 PM
Okay, you got me there. But to be fair I was assuming that they would be going for magical miss chance since the character is stated to focus on full-attacks and that they would be going for combo's that would enhance, and not necessarily replace, their character's current playstyle.

Ualaa
2019-04-02, 10:28 PM
Everyone has the 50% miss chance, from the Incanter|Elementalist (one of the range guys) Time: (mass) After Image.
Most of the group have two re-rolls from Light: Obscure.

We've been using Spheres of Power for a couple of campaigns now.
In this one, the house rule is that if a magic using class has a Sphere archetype (like Sphere Wizard etc), they have to take it.

Psionics doesn't have sphere Tactician or sphere Psion, so the Opportunity Attack guy went that route.
Mythic Psionics exists, but there isn't mythic spheres of power.
So that is a significant edge he has, that the rest do not.

Some of the mobs have started to have (vancian) True Seeing.
I suggested heading for Unplottable, to counter that.

The DM has all the mobs be of the same mythic rank as us.
And basically surge each of their attacks.
So an attack roll is d20+d8, and he's going for natural 20s, since we cannot use PoW counters on those.

All of the mobs, basically blow all their 15 mythic points, as quickly as they can, since they're dead quickly anyway.
The players, myself included, are generally saving ours for the bosses at the end of each scenario.
That is an edge the trash has on us.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I'll continue to pass them along.