PDA

View Full Version : Piastol - Skies of Arcadia/ calling all console enthusiasts to the RPG Dueling League

Moechi_Vill
2007-10-01, 02:43 AM
Here's a link to the RPG dueling league arena. We're in the semifinals of Season 8 and Piastol is facing a difficult match against Emelious de Pamela.

If you've some knowledge of Granda 3 as well and think this masochist twerp should fail in his attempt to block Queen* Piastol's bid for a tie-sharing four-time Godlike division championship record then get in there and vote! No registration required (just a handle/nickname or email)!

If you think she should lose - well, in that case I'd be grateful if you could wait a few days before you join the RPGDL. :)

*she's only outranked and out-trophied (but not outwon per match!) by Myria from the Breath of Fire series.

PS. Piastol browbeat Emelious' morale in the pre-battle interview:

Behind the Scenes/Home: http://www.rpgdl.com/index.php
Arena: http://www.rpgdl.com/arena.php

Hermit
2007-10-01, 04:59 PM
For some reason I was expecting a link to some sort of Skies of Arcadia style online competitive RPG battle game of some description.

Needless to say, I am dissapointed.

Moechi_Vill
2007-10-01, 08:52 PM
There are some pretty good/brutal/funny fights there and most of them end as one would expect. Regardless, have you heard of Mugen?
Anime characters of all sorts in a freeware fighting game.

HomerHT
2007-10-03, 10:03 PM
Definitely a fun concept, but whoever assigns the characters to divisions is way off on a few counts. The example I find most interesting/off is Keldorn Firecam in the "godlike" bracket, especially considering that Jon Irenicus and Firkraag from the same series were also in the godlike bracket and ridiculously more powerful than Keldorn.

Well, unless Keldorn uses fake-talk...

AndrewRogue
2007-10-07, 12:50 AM
Yo,

First, thanks for getting the RPGDL name out there (and also for promoting that particular match in, at the least, a semi-unbiased manner, much as we'd prefer you simply directed folks to the DL without the general lean >_> ). Anyhow, since this got brought up, I figured I would do a little bit of thread necromancy and explain a little bit of the DL for clarity.

Definitely a fun concept, but whoever assigns the characters to divisions is way off on a few counts. The example I find most interesting/off is Keldorn Firecam in the "godlike" bracket, especially considering that Jon Irenicus and Firkraag from the same series were also in the godlike bracket and ridiculously more powerful than Keldorn.

Well, unless Keldorn uses fake-talk...

Generally speaking, there are two separate leagues at the RPGDL, the primary Dueling League and Not Ranked (which you'd be referring to). While the main League has its rankings determined democratically and matches determined via community nomination and random selection, Not Ranked is a side project where our site admin defines the ranks and matches are predetermined by the staff.

Generally speaking, being the last division, Godlike tends to have a pretty dramatic power range (you can see it in the main DL pretty clearly where you have fighters like Ryu2 who are just too good for Heavy, but are unlikely to ever become champions). Generally speaking, character ranking is determined by how the stats of the characters stand up to cast averages (as well as noteworthy special abilities that could skew them). Bosses are put through a similar wringer, being compared to the PCs they face (and then often having their durability scaled down to account for the fact that they are facing multiple PCs, while the DL is all about one on one matches). And, of course, things change at the end of the season when upgrade/downgrade pools determine the fates of some fighters.

So, it goes without saying that ranking can be very difficult as a communal project, and even more difficult when you're working with games/characters that the RPGDL community hasn't done a lot with or had a lot of time to discuss. In the given case, Keldorn is an exceptionally rough rank (even communally) because he is a very good PC to begin with and the Holy Avenger's Magic Resistance tends to mean he can beat out a lot of Heavy competitors. Thus he ended up on the Godlike side. If he were ranked in the actual Dueling League, he would probably tend towards a high Heavy with a very good chance of upgrading to Godlike.

Anyhow, if you'd like to learn more or discuss our rankings, I highly recommend visiting the site and stopping by our forums (and bring a few friends too). We're a talkative bunch and love to chat.

Additionally, our site admin, Superaielman, has the following to add: "Piastol may have lost, but she still has a great record. Even the best have to lose sometime, and they can always be back in three seasons to start beating up people again. Like Andrew said, every new face and voter is welcome!. Oh, as far as Keldorn goes, I'm a fan of his and wanted to see if he could win a match in Godlike. He's definitely not in the same tier of power as Jon or Firkraag, and probably should be in Heavy with Bodhi and Korgan."