PDA

View Full Version : It begins...

drawingfreak
2007-10-01, 02:57 AM
It was the calm before the storm. Men readied their weapons at the walls. Refuges huddled closely inside the inner city ring. Then the hurricane hit.

Wave after wave of kobolds stormed the outer walls of Layford. Soldiers from the walls threw stones and arrows flew through the sky, striking down the ugly reptilian beasts.

You have been asked, along with several other more "rugged" individuals, to help keep the refugees safe. There are roughly three hundred families here, some of them from the farming communities outside the city. There are wounded amoung them. There are four gates leading into the outer ring, one at each directional axis.

{{Place your name at the top of every post in Bold and choose a special color for your dialog but not red. As for now, describe what you look like and what you are currently doing to help. Oh, and try to use present tense...past tense makes reading this kind of thing difficult for me at least.}}

The Neoclassic
2007-10-01, 06:15 AM
Periwinkle Dayspire

((I'll use this color if that's OK.))

A halfling just a handful of years past the start of true adulthood circulates through the refuges, using her skills to help design makeshift bandages and stop further bleeding. Her skin is very pale, her waist-length hair and eyes the same rich shade of brown. Dressed in simple robes of deep blue under leather armor, she is accompanied by her shaggy, yellow-furred riding dog. For a halfling, she is quite tall, doing her best to remain fully upright despite her heavy backpack.

Halna LeGavilk
2007-10-01, 07:22 AM
Ontar Killsnath

OOc: I'll use lime, please.

IC:Ontar walks among the refugees, healing whomever he can, wrapping bandages, stiching wounds, and the like. He doesn't use his spells, since the injuries weren't very serious. (OOc:Were they?)
He has 5 'o-clock shadow, and his face glistens with sweat as he hustles through the people.

drawingfreak
2007-10-01, 09:48 AM
{{I'll need generic Heal checks from the both of you...just one for this scene.}}

Ontar
You see there is one refugee, a nine year old boy, with a compound fracture. Nothing too serious, as you have seen people heal from it before, but it still looks nasty. His mother is holding him, crying as he cries.

The Neoclassic
2007-10-01, 10:00 AM
There, there, lad. Is there anything I can do to help? Periwinkle approaches, prepared to help if his mother does not object (she knows that people who are distressed occasionally do not act rationally and so may refuse aid if approached too quickly).

Heal check...
[roll0] +6

Dr. Weasel
2007-10-01, 04:35 PM
((Dark Blue then?))

Clement

A young gnome tries to help with some of the menial labor, trying to keep his mind off of the battle outside. He carries a pail of water nearly half his own size to the hurt and the thirsty. His sword and armor make the task awkward, interfering with his already encumbered walk. His hair doesn't appear to have been tended any time recently; he twitches his head every so often to try to shake some its sweaty clumps from his eyes.

He offers the pail to the boy, the halfling and the mother, asking simply:

'Water?'

The Neoclassic
2007-10-01, 04:50 PM
Periwinkle Dayspire

Why, thank you. The halfling looks at him, surprised to see someone small like herself here and actively helping. Are you from around these parts? Oh, I'm Periwinkle Dayspire. I'd shake your hand, but I'm not exactly clean at the moment. She waves a grimy hand at her robes, dusted in dirt at the bottom and with splotches of dried blood on a few places.

Dr. Weasel
2007-10-01, 08:45 PM
Clement Waterwallow

Name's Clem. he answers in a high voice. His speech is quick and jittery. Not so much from around here. Really just happened across this place, heard about the lizards an couldn't help but give service.
Not sure I still think that was the brightest move. He forces a lifeless laugh.
Don't know what use I can be around here, though. Can't claim to know much bout helpin people like this. Again he twitches his mouth towards what should be a smile. Could I, ah, give a hand with anythin? Know there's others with water who're big an better carryin it; not helpin them out much anyways.

Halna LeGavilk
2007-10-01, 10:45 PM
Ontar Killsnath

Ontar walks over to the gnome, halfling and the mother and child. He bends down to check the halflings work. He nods approvingly. He stands up, and turns toward, and looks down at the halfling. "Good job. This is pretty good work. Where'd ya learn to do stuff like this?"

The Neoclassic
2007-10-01, 10:59 PM
Periwinkle Dayspire

Pleasure to meet you, Clem and...? Periwinkle's voice rises in pitch, indicating the newcomer should fill in his name. Assuming he does so, Greetings. Well, I learned the art of healing back home, along with my other druidic training. Clem, if you could help us scout out more of these people who need help, that would be helpful.

When will our homelands get names?

Dr. Weasel
2007-10-01, 11:11 PM
Clement

Ah, Sure thing then. Clem darts away to gather a few more of the wounded.

That doesn't sound like too demanding a task. He'll probably send the first three he encounters toward Periwinkle as he finds them.

Out of curiosity, is there a faster way to get these spoiler bars up than typing into the brackets?

chrono
2007-10-02, 11:58 AM
Simon
(who speaks in this color unless somebody can't see it well)

A dwarf walks slowly around the mass of people without straying away. He doesn't seem in a hurry, staring at the distance and watching out for potential enemies. Every now and again he gives the crowd a thoughtful look, trying to pick out the able-bodied.
If we are ambushed... Chances aren't good.
His slow-moving robed shape, rather wide for his height, could easily be mistaken for a hunched old man or even woman, even more so since he uses his staff as a walking stick, a wooden *thump* sounding at each step he makes.

For the time being the dwarf doesn't show any interest in the wounded, and generally keeps his distance from any groups that seem particularly troubled or troublesome.

Edit:
I was waiting for the time of day, but since there's shadow in one of the previous posts, I guess I know what I need.

Also, I'm not aware of any spoiler button as such, or any way to spoiler things faster.

drawingfreak
2007-10-02, 01:29 PM
{{It is morning for those interested.}}

As the wounded are tended to and a splint is made for the boy with the broken leg, an explosion erupts from the western side of the refugee group. Bodies fly and land hard on the cobble roads. Screams echo through the city and six small reptilian beasts jump from a newly made hole in the ground.

chrono
2007-10-02, 03:09 PM
Simon

And so it begins. I was hoping it wouldn't come to this... The thoughts run through the dwarf's head before all the rubble from the explosion hits the ground. Simon pauses for just a second, long enough to focus on the scene of the blast.
Sooner rather than later.

Moments later, as people scream and panic, the dwarf focuses and waves his hands in an intricate way. The commotion drowns his arcane words, but a shimmering field appears momentarily around him.
Casting Mage Armor

You, You, You!, he tries to scream louder than everybody and points at whomever he thought even close to able-bodied or with anything resembling a weapon.
The future is not too bright..., The dwarf's hand drops as he loses his temper for a moment.
What are ye standing around for? Come with me, we have to protect this wretched place!
It wasn't really a rally of troops. Nobody ever followed Simon for the sake of his leadership ability. But now... Now the only chance was to make those people focus, their brains had to kick in. Panic equals death; there wasn't any other place to run to and hide. There wasn't anybody left to protect them.
THEY HAVE TO KNOW IT TOO!
The dwarf pushs is thoughts aside as he movs toward the attackers.
Come on you good-fer nothing cowards! Fight for yer life!, he screams one last time, not really hoping for much support from the refugees. Worth a try.

Simon is not a front liner and he knows it, thus he will try to avoid hand-to-hand combat for the time being and will do his best not to get surrounded or overrun. He's also looking for any ranged or throwing weapons lying around that he can use (most likely in the hands of somebody too dead to use them).

P.S. edited out the stupidest thing I've said for the last month.

The Neoclassic
2007-10-02, 03:54 PM
Periwinkle Dayspire

Hurry, go take shelter farther away from the gates, she insists, urgently shooing those she had been helping. Carry the children or the injured if you must.

Periwinkle jumps to her feet and picks up her quarterstaff, sprinting to stand next to the dwarf and defend him from any of the kobolds who would attack him. The large dog that had been tagging along after her did not flee with the refuges, but stayed alongside her hastily dropped backpack and makeshift first aid supplies.

Initiative roll- [roll0] + 2

I'm assuming that Periwinkle can tell from the hand gestures and flicker of red energy (that's how I always imagined mage armor, anyway)that surrounded Simon that he's an arcane spellcaster. Therefore, she is on defensive right now, but with the intent of protecting Simon as much as herself.

Sorry I forgot to mention her riding dog earlier...

drawingfreak
2007-10-02, 04:11 PM
{{Initiative rolls please}}

As you run for the group of kobolds, they begin their slaughter, attacking anyone nearby including children. Several men attempt to fight them back, but are cut down before being able to strike a blow.

chrono
2007-10-02, 04:20 PM
Simon

Simon's gaze shifts from the attackers (assuming they're at least reasonably far away) and glances at the halfling. A small female ally with a stick, it seems.
Now that I didn't expect...
In fact, Simon was definitely expecting quite the opposite - a large male ally, preferably with a greatsword.

Seems this city is a bit shorter on resources than people thought.
Bad time to give the scared crowd mixed signals too... Simon glares at the halfling, though it likely remains unnoticed due to the hood of his heavy robe.

I'm assuming the explosion didn't happen right next to us, so there's no real surprise round, but we may still need to figure out action order.
[roll0] + 2 for initiative

Dr. Weasel
2007-10-02, 05:48 PM
Clement Waterwallow

Clem stops for a moment, strapping his shield to his arm.

He's not sure how to respond to the commands he hears, but he squeaks out a response.
I'll be there! I can help!

[roll0]

[move1]-Draw Shield
[move2]-Attach shield

Ctrl+V is the 'paste' function, but thanks.

Dr. Weasel
2007-10-02, 05:52 PM
Apparently the 'preview post' button foils the forum roller too.

[roll0]+1

Halna LeGavilk
2007-10-02, 07:43 PM
Ontar Killsnath

Ontar swears, and draws his morningstar and picks up his shield off the ground.

[roll0]
Move 1:Draw Morningstar.
Move 2:Pick up shield.

drawingfreak
2007-10-03, 02:11 AM
Initiative Order
20-Kobold#1
19-Clement Waterwallow
18-Kobold#4
16-Kobold#2
15-Simon
13-Kobold#3
8-Periwinkle Dayspire
7-Kobold#6
3-Kobold#5
2-Ontar Killsnath

Here's how it will work. Describe what kind of attack you are attempting to make and then roll for it. I will then describe the events, after which I will call on the next person to post. This is how all combat will be done, not just this one because there are monsters in between you all.
By this point, you have all gotten within range of the Kobolds. They are numbered with 1 being the farthest from the hold and 6 being the closest to the hole. Kobolds 3, 4, and 6 have noticed the four of you running toward them.

Kobold#1 uses his turn to cut down the last of the attacking commoners.
Next Turn: Clement Waterwallow

Dr. Weasel
2007-10-03, 01:23 PM
Clement

Clem runs toward the Halfling and Dwarf, sword out, preparing to swing at the first kobold to come into reach.

[Move1]15 foot movement
[free]Draw sword while moving
[standard]Ready attack agains first kobold in reach
[roll0]+3
[roll1]

drawingfreak
2007-10-04, 11:23 AM
Clement swings across, cutting Kobold#1 across the chest, but it is still up.

Kobold #4 sees this and approaches you. It jabs at you with its spear, but you manage to dodge it.

Kobold #2 joins his friend in attacking. It too jabs at you with its spear, but it too misses. You can see on their faces that they know they are no longer facing mere commoners.

The rest of the Kobolds are aware of the fight.

Next Turn: Simon

chrono
2007-10-04, 02:56 PM
Simon

Getting warmer. At least he has a sword.

Simon takes a deep breath and moves a few feet sideways (and/or back) so that both newcomers stand between him and as many kobolds as possible.

(OOC: he isn't trying to move away from the battle, just positioning himself so he isn't charged from multiple sides and he doesn't end up in the front line all of a sudden)

The dwarf waves his hands in an intricate pattern and speaks out a few strange words, then squishes what looks like a pinch of wool from his cloak between his fingers. He then points at one of the kobolds surrounding the fighter. Momentarily it seems there's a mist around his fingers, then it dissipates.

Why don't you play fair for once? he says with a low, level tone.

OOC: casting daze at Kobold #2 (DC 13 if I'm not mistaken).

drawingfreak
2007-10-05, 12:18 AM
Kobold#2 lowers its weapon to its side and grabs its head with the opposite hand, as if trying to remember something important. It also seems to be having balance issues.

Kobold#3 notices that his companion's strange behavior is associated with the gestures made by the dwarf. He spins a sling over his head and tosses a stone, which nicks your arm, but all you get from it is a small bruise. Nothing serious.
{{-1 HP}}

Next Turn: Periwinkle Dayspire

The Neoclassic
2007-10-05, 08:14 AM
Periwinkle swings her quarterstaff at kobold #3.

[roll0] to hit
If it hits, damage is [roll1].

drawingfreak
2007-10-07, 01:23 AM
Periwinkle knocks Kobold#3 across the face, knocking it to its knees and spitting teeth.

Kobold#6 takes aim at Clement with his sling and tosses a stone. It is far off target and knocks harmlessly into a building.

Kobold#5 aims a sling at Periwinkle and knocks her in the ribs. {{2 damage}}

Next Turn: Ontar Killsnath

Halna LeGavilk
2007-10-08, 08:29 PM
Ontar throws his shield to the ground, scattering pebbles and dust, and lunges at Kobold #5, yelling a battle cry, and blasts the Kobold with negative energy.

Move 1:Discard shield
Move 2:Cast Inflict Light Wounds
Will Save (Half Damage) DC:14
[roll0]

Halna LeGavilk
2007-10-09, 09:00 PM
[roll0] That's my attack roll.

drawingfreak
2007-10-10, 01:42 AM
The second before making contact, the Kobold dives to the side.

Round 2
Reiteration of the Initiative:
20-Kobold#1
19-Clement Waterwallow
18-Kobold#4
16-Kobold#2
15-Simon
13-Kobold#3
8-Periwinkle Dayspire
7-Kobold#6
3-Kobold#5
2-Ontar Killsnath

Kobold #1, angered by the sword slash to the chest, returns the favor with his spear. {{-2}}

Next turn: Clement Waterwallow

Dr. Weasel
2007-10-10, 12:27 PM
Clement

Clem lashes out again at the kobold

[roll0]
[roll1]

drawingfreak
2007-10-11, 12:43 AM
Kobold#1 ducks Clement's sword in time for its friend to attack.

Kobold#4 makes another jab with its spear but Clement manages to dodge it.
Kobold#2 stands there, dazed.

chrono
2007-10-11, 01:46 AM
Simon

Well, they weren't overrun. Yet. The dwarf looked around and considered the odds: this battle had to end before any more kobolds decided to come and join the party.

Simon moves closer to Clem and has a go at Kobold #1 with his staff.

Simon is trying to maximize his damage and minimize the time & risk, so if this action provokes an AOO or there's a closer kobold who would be flanked he'll attack him instead.

Atack: [roll0] (+2 for flaking if possible)
Damage: [roll1]

drawingfreak
2007-10-15, 11:26 PM
Kobold#1 miraculously evades Simon's attack as well.

Kobold#3 takes loads another stone into his sling and swings wide, missing Simon.

Next Turn: Periwinkle

The Neoclassic
2007-10-16, 06:11 AM
Periwinkle swings her quarterstaff at Kobold #1.

This is assuming the kobold is within 30 ft so that she can make a move action and then attack.

Attack: [roll0]
If it hits, [roll1] damage

drawingfreak
2007-10-16, 12:23 PM
There is a loud *THWACK* as the quarterstaff makes contact, knocking Kobold#1 off his feet. It climbs to its knees but it looks like it is having difficulty just trying to do just that.

Kobold#6 sees a closer opponent and heads for Ontar.
Kobold#5 attempts to grab hold of Ontar.

{{Attack of Opportunity for Ontar}}

Halna LeGavilk
2007-10-16, 08:28 PM
Ontar swings his mace downwards.

[SPOILER]
[roll0] That's my attack.
[roll1]

drawingfreak
2007-10-16, 09:18 PM
Ontar misses his opponent, while at the same time managing to evade the reaching hands of the kobold.

Next Turn: Ontar

Halna LeGavilk
2007-10-18, 07:50 AM
Ontar casts a spell on his mace, then attacks Kobold #5 again.

Magic Weapon on mace, +1 to attack and damage rolls.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Standard Action 1: Cast Magic Weapon
Standard Action 2: Attack

drawingfreak
2007-10-18, 01:33 PM
Kobold#5 is caught off guard after it misses its chance to grab Ontar. Ontar's mace glows slightly and slams into the beast.

Round 3
Reiteration of the Initiative:
20-Kobold#1
19-Clement Waterwallow
18-Kobold#4
16-Kobold#2
15-Simon
13-Kobold#3
8-Periwinkle Dayspire
7-Kobold#6
3-Kobold#5
2-Ontar Killsnath

Kobold#1 wipes blood from its mouth and throws its spear with all its might at Periwinkle. The spear opens a gash across her left arm. {{-1 HP}}

Next Turn: Clement Waterwallow

drawingfreak
2007-10-27, 02:17 AM
{{Due to lack of action on the player's part, Clement holds his action.}}

Kobold#4 misses its attack yet again against Clement. It is starting to get frustrated.
Kobold #2, having gained knowledge of his surroundings once more, notices the new threat of Simon and attacks, hitting him with his spear in the arm. {{-4 HP}}

chrono
2007-10-27, 05:57 AM
Simon
Ack! Darn lucky sewer rat!, Simon thinks as he takes a step back after the jab.
(OOC: taking 5 foot step to a non-threatened square. Also, just checking if you counted my mage armor AC).
He doesn't seem to have much luck in combat so far, so he sticks to what he knows - to the goblin's annoyance Simon proceeds to cast the same spell at the foe who just hit him.
(OOC: daze DC 13)

drawingfreak
2007-10-28, 12:57 AM
{{I didn't make note of it but the attack was high enough to pass it}}

Kobold#2 pauses momentarily but then shakes it off, whatever it was.

Kobold#3 reloads its sling and tosses another stone in Simon's direction, hitting him square in the forehead. Simon falls over in a heap. The kobold laughs. {{-4 HP, you are dying (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#dying). Roll d100 to stabilize.}}

chrono
2007-10-28, 04:12 AM
Rolling to stabilize:
[roll0]

drawingfreak
2007-10-28, 10:54 PM
{{-1 HP}} Simon is bleeding profusely from his head wound.

The Neoclassic
2007-10-28, 11:56 PM
Periwinkle rushes over to stablilize Simon. She places her hands on his shoulders and closes her eyes, whispering a word of healing in Druidic.

She casts cure minor wounds on him.

drawingfreak
2007-10-29, 11:52 AM
{{+1 HP for Simon}}

The bleeding stops and Simon is in stable condition.

Kobold#6 jabs at Ontar, a small gash at his side. {{-1 HP}}
Kobold#5 does the same in an attempt for revenge, but misses.

Halna LeGavilk
2007-10-30, 07:37 PM
Ontar swings his morningstar at Kobold #5 again, then runs toward Simon.

Attack= [roll0]
Damage= [roll1]
Action 1: Attack
Action 2: Run 20 ft towards Simon.

drawingfreak
2007-10-31, 01:38 AM
Ontar swings his morningstar fiercely, smashing the kobold in the face. The monster spins in its place before falling over in a bloody heap, distracting his companion long enough for Ontar to reach Simon.

BEGINNING ROUND FOUR

Kobold#1 lunges at Periwinkle.

AOO: Periwinkle

The Neoclassic
2007-10-31, 06:40 AM
Sorry for the stupid question, but what does AOO stand for? Attack of Opportunity?

Halna LeGavilk
2007-10-31, 08:28 PM
OOc:Yeah, it does.

The Neoclassic
2007-10-31, 10:22 PM
Periwinkle tries to whack the kobold with her quarterstaff.

Damage, if applicable: [roll1]

drawingfreak
2007-11-01, 01:38 AM
Periwinkle misses the kobold who then attempts to tackle her to the ground, but fails.

Next Turn: Clement
{{If he doesn't post by the weekend, I shall think of something}}

drawingfreak
2007-11-03, 11:05 PM
Clement prepares to attack, but suddenly, shouts of "LOOK OUT!" sound from the outer walls in the west. A boulder the size of a small cottage flies through the air over both walls, smashing into a nearby building which crumbles on top of Clement, subsequently crushing Kobolds#1 and 4. Debris flies through the air. {{Everyone take -2 HP}}

Kobold#2 is slightly disoriented by the explosion.

chrono
2007-11-04, 03:00 AM
Simon

[roll0]
Unconscious, dying.

drawingfreak
2007-11-05, 01:01 AM
{{1. You were stabilized so don't worry about the d100 roll.
2. I'm an idiot for not remembering you were out of commission. My bad.
3. New Guy: Egan Smith, your initiative is at 21. Until the next round you are helping refugees find shelter from the kobolds.}}

Kobold#3 quickly gets up and slings a stone at Periwinkle, but misses, and slowly begins to back up toward the hole.

The Neoclassic
2007-11-05, 08:06 AM
Periwinkle aims at the kobold who tried to attack her and fires a bullet from her sling.

Attacking kobold #3
Damage (if applicable): [roll1]

drawingfreak
2007-11-05, 11:47 AM
The bullet flies wildly to the side, missing the kobold completely.
Kobold#6 begins to run for the hole, not caring about the fight anymore.

Halna LeGavilk
2007-11-06, 10:05 AM
Ontar chases down the fleeing Kobold #6, at the last moment swinging his mace at the back of the Kobold's head.

[SPOILER]
I'm using a charge attempt, and am going to assume that the path is reletively clear.

[roll0] Attack
[roll1]

drawingfreak
2007-11-06, 01:28 PM
The mace misses its target and the kobold continues the run for safety.

{{TOP OF THE INITIATIVE!}}

Next Turn: Egan, who has been helping refugees to safety. You are close enough to reach them this turn.

thevorpalbunny
2007-11-06, 06:04 PM
Egan

[roll0]
[roll1]
attack +4 melee, 15 AC (-2 til next round)
saves: F/R/W +3/+1/+0
I'll take navy for speech

"Eat steel" Egan bellows as he charges toward the nearest kobold.
After attacking, he turns to his nearest ally and says, "Saw you needed a hand, with that rock taking out the swordsman and all. Talk later."

drawingfreak
2007-11-06, 08:31 PM
Getting in between the kobold and its escape, Egan slices the kobold's head in two at the mouth.

Seeing its means of escape blocked, Kobold#2 tosses its spear at Egan, but it misses and bounces harmlessly on the ground.

Simon remains motionless on the ground.

Kobold#3 slings a stone at Egan as it runs for the hole, but misses.

The Neoclassic
2007-11-07, 07:49 AM
Periwinkle fires a sling bullet at the nearest kobold.

She attacks #2 or #3 with her sling, whichever is closer.

drawingfreak
2007-11-07, 12:06 PM
The bullet flies wildly to the side.

Halna LeGavilk
2007-11-07, 09:36 PM
With a roar, Ontar swings at the Kobold yet again.

drawingfreak
2007-11-08, 12:08 AM
Kobold#2 takes the strike to the back, flesh peeling from the bone. It still stands but is looking bad.

ROUND 6!

Next Turn: Egan

thevorpalbunny
2007-11-08, 07:39 AM
Egan
Egan moves toward the nearest kobold and slices toward its legs

[roll0]
[roll1]

drawingfreak
2007-11-09, 10:57 AM
Egan swings but the kobold ducks just in time.

Kobold#2 tries to grab Ontar.

AOO: Ontar

Halna LeGavilk
2007-11-10, 10:47 PM
Ontar curses and brings his mace up, striking at the Kobold.

[SPOILER]
[roll0]
[roll1]

drawingfreak
2007-11-13, 01:19 AM
{{sorry for the delay...finals}}

Ontar misses the oncoming Kobold but manages to dodge the grapple as well.

drawingfreak
2007-11-13, 02:17 PM
Simon continues his unconsciousness.

Kobold#3 switches to its spear and jabs it at Egan, hitting his side. {{-4 HP}}

The Neoclassic
2007-11-16, 11:00 PM
Periwinkle swings at the nearest kobold with her quarterstaff.

Damage (if applicable): [roll1]

drawingfreak
2007-11-20, 11:48 PM
Periwinkle barely misses the creature with her staff.

Halna LeGavilk
2007-11-21, 11:00 PM
Ontar swings at Kobold #2 again.

[roll0] Attack
[roll1] Damage.

Halna LeGavilk
2007-11-21, 11:01 PM
Crap. Disredard the previous damage roll. I rolled with a d20. Dang, I'm absent minded....

[roll0]

drawingfreak
2007-11-24, 01:03 AM
The kobold flips over from the hit and lands loudly on the road, not moving.

Top of the Initiative!

Next Turn: Egan

thevorpalbunny
2007-11-24, 06:38 PM
Egan
"Think you're tough, eh? Try this!"
Egan attacks again.

[roll0]
[roll1]
Is there a map of where we are? I don't understand where I am in relation to the others.

drawingfreak
2007-11-25, 02:42 AM
{{Egan, you are on the other side of the kobold, blocking the entrance hole}}
Egan swings wide, missing his opponent.

Simon lays still....still.

Kobold#3, in a panic, charges at Egan who is between him and his only chance at escape. The spear plunges into Egan's leg. {{-4 HP}}

The Neoclassic
2007-11-28, 12:02 PM
Periwinkle slings a bullet at the kobold who attacked Egan.

drawingfreak
2007-11-29, 10:01 PM
The bullet smacks the final kobold in the head. Its arms go limp and it falls to its knees before finally crashing into the ground.

{{113 XP for all}}

{{Whoever sees this first roll a Listen before I continue.}}

thevorpalbunny
2007-12-01, 09:00 PM
Listen: 20 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1402327)
Egan pauses to catch his breath and checks around him for other kobolds.

Halna LeGavilk
2007-12-01, 10:00 PM
Ontar puts his morningstar away and rushes over to Simon. Ontar places his hands on Simon and speaks in Celestial.

Cure Light Wounds
[roll0]

drawingfreak
2007-12-02, 12:57 AM
{{Egan: You notice a lack of sound. There is no sound of battle coming from the outer wall. Then there is cheering. It seems as though the attack is over.}}

Most of Simon's wounds heal. His eyes flicker open. {{Simon is awake! GASP! And if my calculations are correct, is at 1 HP}}

A few moments pass {{lets say 1 minute, apply any healing spells within this timeframe if you wish...do it in brackets}} and the four of you are approached by the Captain of the Guard, a human by the name of Harold Nelross. He is in full Paladin armor, the symbol of Heironeous (a hand holding a bolt of lightning) clasping a red cape to the left side of his silver breastplate. He is holding his helmet in his hands.
"I hear that you four are responsible for getting rid of these interlopers. My thanks to you."

chrono
2007-12-02, 05:10 AM
{{OOC:Right after he's healed}}
Simon opens his eyes and groans, then reaches for his forehead.
Ack, me achin' head! How long was I out?, he says and looks around. So the skinny one didn't make it? I should 'ave known better than to rush in like that.
He grabs his weapon and uses it to help himself up, then examines the survivors for a moment and seeing no invaders in sight asks The little are done for, right?

thevorpalbunny
2007-12-02, 06:53 PM
{{As Simon wakes:}}
"Yes, and good riddance. I'm Egan Smith." Egan walks over to Simon and extends a hand to help him up and/or shake hands.

Halna LeGavilk
2007-12-02, 07:46 PM
Ontar turns to Simon. "Lie down. You still have several wounds, and I'm out of healing spells for the day." Ontar then turns to Harold. "You are a Paladin of Heironeous, correct? What is your rank? Can you grant permission for access to medical supplies? I wish to get healing quickly."

drawingfreak
2007-12-04, 01:44 AM
{{You have met the Captain before, if but briefly. He is the one who assigned you and several others to care for the refugees.}}

"But of course, I will get a cleric to you right away. I would help myself, but I have used up my healing touch for the day.The front lines were brutal even though they were but kobolds. I'm still curious as to them attacking like this. Quite peculiar for kobolds.
"That is a question for another time. I will send some clerics to you and will send someone to reward you for your bravery. May the teachings of Heironeous guide you through your journeys."
He bows and takes his leave, heading back to the outer wall.

After some time, a cleric of Heironeous approaches. He goes about healing all of you. With a bow to the four of you along with his thanks (for his brother was one of the refugees), he leaves and a young boy about in his early to mid teens approaches.
"Master Nelross said that I should give this to you for your 'Excellent performance in the line of duty'." He hands over a coin purse and turns to leave. {{when you have the time to examine it, it holds 450 gold}}
"An excellent performance, indeed." Someone laughs. The source of the voice is a middle aged balding human. He claps as he laughs. "Ha HAH! Great show. Some fine fighting out there, too. The name's Andolin Varns." He shakes each of your hands rather roughly but it seems more out of excitement or eagerness. "I'm a merchant by trade. I was wondering...do you have spare time on your hands?"

chrono
2007-12-04, 01:49 PM
Simon refuses Ontar's suggestion to lie down with a wave of his hands and something mumbled under his breath for having enough lie-down time already. He listens attentively to the captain and only briefly glances at the gold he hands out.
No kiddin', I guess at these parts due respect is paid to those who risk their lives fightin'., he says and looks at the others.
After being healed Simon stretches a bit and pokes at where his wounds were a few minutes ago. Just when he's finally content the strange merchant speaks up.
Nay, you might say we're a bit tied up fighting off this strange invasion. What business is it of yours?

Halna LeGavilk
2007-12-05, 07:29 AM
Ontar shrugs. "I suppose. What's it to you?"

thevorpalbunny
2007-12-05, 07:30 PM
"I might, myself, and you too," he says with a nod toward Simon, "The kobolds were fools to attack, and all I've heard of them says they'll not be back. Like the priest -- Ontar, if I remember correctly -- said, what's it to you?"
(OOC: I'm assuming they introduced themselves in the minute break.)

drawingfreak
2007-12-06, 01:58 AM
"Well, I was but wondering if I may purchase your services. I have a long and dangerous road ahead of me and with this surprising situation we have found ourselves in, I have the feeling that me and my associates are in need of proper protection."

Halna LeGavilk
2007-12-07, 04:15 PM
Ontar immediately begins to questions him. "Where are you goin? What's your trade? Are you selling something? Who are your associates?"

[roll0] Diplomacy
[roll1] Gather information
(if the others don't work)
[roll2] Intimidate

drawingfreak
2007-12-08, 01:38 AM
"Hey, now. No need for the interrogation, good sir. I'm more than willing to answer your questions.
"We're headed around the south of the lake through Lakebed then toward the mountains through Planbury and Larzville. From there, we move east across the plains to the Elthilion Empire by way of Orilthian and Larethian. After that I go through the same route all the way back to Granbury, if it still stands.
"As for our goods, well my profession lies in the trade of exotic goods. Anything else is on a need to know basis." He winks and smiles.
"As for my associates, I have two colleagues who help me set up and take down wherever I am able to sell. You will meet them should you be so kind as to except the job. I'm willing to offer a percentage of the profit. Say 20% for the lot of you. That's 5% per person. What do you say?"

Halna LeGavilk
2007-12-09, 11:02 AM
Ontar thinks. "I'll go, but I need to check with my superiors first."

drawingfreak
2007-12-12, 02:00 AM
"And what say the rest of you?"

chrono
2007-12-12, 01:51 PM
Simon eyes Egan for a moment then says "Ya seem to think you know the attackers, but so far as I know nobody expected an attack in the first place. It is beyond me why you're so sure they won't come back, but I sure hope yer right.
Simon then turns toward the newcomer:
But I suppose the road is as safe place as any. If you don't count ambushes, wild animals and daylight robbers. So far the city has been generous, I expect you might know. I'm just sayin' that it will not be in anybody's best interest if we come with you and later those 5% turn out to be disappointing.

The dwarf eyes the merchant until he answers or turns away.

drawingfreak
2007-12-13, 12:50 AM
"Well, I would be lying if I said that I sold items off the cart in every town, but I do make quite the profit. Why just before this battle, the Captain of the Guard himself bought several of my items. And they don't come cheap. For example!" He pulls a small, nondescript brown bag from his waist.
"An ordinary bag, yes? No!" He manages to fit his arm, his entire arm, into the small bag and pulls out a longsword. "Viola! This, my friends, is what is called a Bag of Holding. I'm sure you've heard of it. It can hold far more than it should, this particular brand can hold items equaling the weight of a full grown man. I'm selling this particular item for 2500 gold.
"This is but a taste. I sell many items of multiple purposes, most, if not all, quite magical in origin. I'm sure that you can see that my promise of 5% isn't as bad as it sounds."

Halna LeGavilk
2007-12-13, 07:37 AM
"Would we get to keep any spoils off any attackers? That might make it a bit more worth it."

drawingfreak
2007-12-14, 01:42 AM
"Feel free to. I have an honest supplier anyway that has yet to let me down. The spoils are yours."

Halna LeGavilk
2007-12-15, 10:59 PM
Ontar turns to Simon. "I think that should help a little bit."

chrono
2007-12-16, 04:13 PM
Simon is a bit surprised at Ontar's question and he looks away from the merchant:
Aye, I suppose.
Simon nods at the battlefield.
Not that I hope to get rich off that. 'Tis safer when the enemy doesn't wield expensive magic weapons.
Simon smiles, seemingly in part to Ontar and in part to some inside joke.

Halna LeGavilk
2007-12-16, 08:15 PM
Ontar chuckles, and then turns to everyone else. "What do you guys say?"

drawingfreak
2007-12-25, 01:04 AM
Periwinkle apologizes, stating that she will not assist and offers some druidic nonsense of an excuse. Something about getting back to her roots (ha!). With that she walks away.

Andolin looks to Egan for his reply.

Soepvork
2007-12-25, 05:32 AM
Autry Longson

After seeing one of the company leaving the merchant, a young man in shiny chain shirt approaches the company. His large shield is adorned with a silvery moon. He looks a bit tired from the battle, seems fine otherwiseThe man is of somewhat smaller than average build, and looks a bit uncertain at first, but quickly regains his composure.

He adresses the goup as follows: Greetings. Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Autry Longson. I couldn't help overhearing part of the conversation you had with the Merchant, nor could I help noticing that one of your companions chose not to particpate. Since that seems to be making your party one short, I'm willing to offer my services to all of you. I'm skilled with the blade and shield and somewhat in the way of words, although I'm sure some of you may be better than I am in both. Would you accept my offer?

chrono
2007-12-25, 02:09 PM
Simon shrugs, looks down at his feet and speaks, as if addressing the dirt under his shoes.
Who knows what's best... To rely on a stranger to fend off your mutual enemies or to ignore his request, definitely earn more wealth and potentially get killed in a situation where he would have potentially saved your life.
Simon sighs, not waiting for an answer because he isn't really speaking to anybody.
Who the hell knows, I don't know. Whoever cares enough to decide better do so.

thevorpalbunny
2007-12-25, 10:33 PM
"As I said before, I'm all for it. When did you say you wanted to start?"

drawingfreak
2007-12-26, 12:39 AM
"We leave in the morrow. I will be by the Outer Eastern Gate just after sunrise. Are you all aboard then?"
And just before you are about to reply-"Splendid. I shall see you then. Fare thee well!" And with that he walks off, dodging rubble in his path.

Soepvork
2007-12-26, 04:41 AM
Autry Longson

IŽll be there in the morning.

Halna LeGavilk
2007-12-27, 01:06 AM
Ontar watches the man walk off, then turns toward the group, and rolls up his sleeves. "I don't know about you guys, but I got a long night of healing ahead of me. Anyone care to join?" Ontar asks nobody in particuler. If nobody says yes, he shrugs and goes toward the hospital-station-thingy (OOC:Damnit! I can't remember the other, cooler word for it. Ughhhhhh... never stay up till 1:00 playing Oblivion. Argh. Scurvy.)

If anyone says yes, Ontar talks with them about specific ways of healing different injuries, to the point where it becomes annoying.

[roll0] Collective heal check for the night, using one use of my Healer's Kit uses.

drawingfreak
2007-12-27, 02:23 AM
{{For those of you who pay enough attention to Ontar, you can gain 1/4 of your total HP back and are eligible for one or two points in the Heal Skill at next level}}

As the day passes, things remain thankfully uneventful. There was rumor that there was an attack on Lord Ellington's house, but it is only rumor as far as you know.

{{Unless you have anything else planned special, we can skip to the next morning if you wish...gimme the votes in the OCC}}

Soepvork
2008-01-02, 06:40 PM
Autry Longson

Although I am not particularly skilled in the arts of healing, I will help you tend to the wounded.

drawingfreak
2008-01-03, 01:46 AM
The sun sets and night comes. You each sleep peacefully enough to feel rested come sunrise.

A rooster crows in the distance as the city starts to come back to life.

Halna LeGavilk
2008-01-03, 08:16 AM
Ontar is up before sunrise, polishing and cleaning his armor. When it is completely polished, he puts it on and begins examining his morningstar. If it is broken or damaged in any way, he brings it to the weaponsmith to have it repaired.

He then checks with his companions to see if they need any help. If they do not, then he begins to take care of himself.

He starts by eating a simple breakfast. Nothing fancy; maybe just some oatmeal with milk if there is any. He cleans and washes himself, preferably in a local river; if there isn't one, he simply washes his hands and face with well water and soap.

He then goes over to the Outer Eastern Gate to join his companions and the merchants.

thevorpalbunny
2008-01-03, 10:07 AM
Egan also rises early, not for any pressing reason but only through habit. He checks on and retrieves his horse Strider. He goes to the Gate to join the traders. While he waits, he inspects and cleans his sword.

Soepvork
2008-01-04, 09:04 AM
Autry wakes up well before sunrise, giving himself enough time to inspect his equipment as well as to have a decent breakfast before going to the gate.

chrono
2008-01-04, 12:27 PM
Simon wakes up and goes in search of some breakfast immediately. He is looking for bread and something to go with it, but is otherwise content with anything he finds as long as it's a quick snack.
He then goes back and without wasting much time on preparation or personal hygiene focuses on his spell book (if anybody intrudes Simon will simply shoo him away while trying not to be distracted).
When the task is done he rejoins the others.

drawingfreak
2008-01-07, 02:05 AM
The merchant greets you all with a wide smile from one of the two wagons. They are hooded wagons, about as generic as they come. At the driver's seat of the lead vehicle is a human, not all that different looking from Andolin. Driving the second is a middle aged, grumpy looking gnome.

"Friends! Welcome to the business! I would like to introduce you to my brother, Mandorin." He motions to the first driver who smiles and nods respectively. "And my good friend, Glim Orill." Glim nods because society dictates that a nod is the proper thing to do at this time, and grunts softly.
"I suppose that we'll need to set up some kind of schedule for you. Can't have all four of you walking next to the carts as security all the time. When you aren't on protection detail, you'll ride with Glim. Go ahead and discuss who takes what shift and when as I finish hooking up the horses."

chrono
2008-01-07, 01:47 PM
As Simon is introduced to the merchant's companions he makes a few mental notes about the caravan.
Not flashy, doesn't advertise expensive merchandise. Not bad. Doesn't advertise a threat either, which might work in our advantage, or it might not.
Not paying that much attention to the other merchants, he intuitively nods and grunts about at the same time as the gnome. Not expecting somebody to react as he does, Simon raises his eyes to look at the gnome, then turns to the others:
I'd take an early shift, though probably not the very first one as I like to spend some time by myself before I start off the day.
Simon looks suddenly startled and looks at his feet.
Err..., he starts timidly.
To avoid mishaps like yesterday, I need ta know if any of you could use a certain physical advantage if we get into trouble. Because... Ya know... I won't be trying to beat things with a stick again.

drawingfreak
2008-01-10, 12:59 AM
Andolin approaches.

"We ready to go?"

Soepvork
2008-01-10, 02:58 AM
Just one more thing, Autry signals to the merchant. I'm am reasonable skilled in riding horses, so if you have a horse to spare that needs to be, hm...., ridden, I can help you out with that. Maybe I could even pass of as one of your crew rather than as a guard.

thevorpalbunny
2008-01-10, 09:25 PM
"I also can ride, though admittedly not very well."

drawingfreak
2008-01-11, 01:41 AM
Andolin considers this.

"Tell you what. In a gesture of good faith, I'll pay for half a mount for those that want it. I warn you though. This is the one chance you get at taking advantage of my kindly nature."

Halna LeGavilk
2008-01-11, 08:39 AM
Ontar paced around the caravans, looking them, the drivers, and the animals over. After checking the entire thing out, Ontar walks up to the rest of his comrades. "I will walk. I am not a fan of riding horses. Also, if no one else objects, I will take the early shift."

chrono
2008-01-11, 11:59 AM
Simon

Simon shrugs and examines the caravan he was indicated to ride. He stops for a moment and addressed his companions over his shoulder.
Okay. Looks like you go first, I go next... I guess the rest isn't my business.
Simon jumps in the caravan and looks for a firm place to sit on and put his back against.

Soepvork
2008-01-11, 04:16 PM
Autry listens to the merchant and slowly start laughing. Would that be the front end or the back end of the horse, he says, before bursting into a loud laughter, seemingly oblivious to whether people actually like his joke. After regaining his composure, he says to Andolin I appreciate your offer, kind merchant, but I'm afraid I do no possess the financial means at the moment to pay for the other half, so I guess I'll just walk. Should you find the need for a semi-experienced rider this journey, I'll kindly offer you my services. To the rest of the party, Autry says: I don't mind much about what shift I'll take. Schedule me as you like.

drawingfreak
2008-01-16, 07:55 AM
"Well, if there is no other business that needs to be handled, shall we be off?"

Halna LeGavilk
2008-01-16, 08:19 PM
"I think that would be pretty good." Ontar says as he takes his place at the head of the caravan.

chrono
2008-01-17, 02:35 AM
Simon shrugs as he settles down in the wagon:
No need to sit around 'here any longer.

thevorpalbunny
2008-01-18, 09:54 AM
"Certainly, let's be off. I'll take the last shift if no one objects."
After any response, Egan walks his horse Strider over to the gnome's cart.

drawingfreak
2008-01-19, 02:30 AM
With that, the caravan makes its way eastward, just south of the lake. It looks to be a promising journey indeed.

{{being that it is late for me right now, this is all I got for this post...I guess write down your daily routine on the trip to the next town...I'll post something more interesting sometime tomorrow hopefully}}

Soepvork
2008-01-20, 03:56 AM
Appearantly, I'll take the third shift, which is fine by me.

After waking, Autry spends some time checking his equipment and silently praying to his god. When all equipment is in place, he finds something to eat. Afterwards, he tries to make some small talk to his fellow passengers until it is his shift.

thevorpalbunny
2008-01-20, 09:58 AM
Egan wakes late, checks on Strider and feeds him, then breaks his own fast and cleans his sword. After that on most days, he takes Strider for a trot up and down the road before his watch.

On the second or third day, he starts conversations with Autry and/or Simon and/or Ontar. (Depending upon who's awake/ wants to talk.)
"So, what brought you to the town?"

chrono
2008-01-20, 03:19 PM
Simon wakes up after dawn (though not very late), goes through a cursory check of his equipment (mainly consisting of making sure nothing is missing) and looks out of the wagon. If there are any obvious arrangements for breakfast he joins in, otherwise takes a ration out of his bag. Either way he eats fast and doesn't say much. He then tries to seclude himself as much as the caravan allows and focuses on his spell book.
If he is spoken to during that time he waves people away angrily without looking up. When he is done he waits until it's time and takes the second shift. During the day (at least until lunch) Simon avoids conversation, mumbling something under his nose and moving away when Egan (or somebody else) tries to address him with something that's not of immediate concern.

Halna LeGavilk
2008-01-20, 09:41 PM
Ontar wakes up, cleans his armor and sword, his ritual to get spells from St. Cuthbert. He eats a short snack, and sets up for his shift. During his shift, he watches as usual, and during lunch and dinner Ontar attempts to cook a little bit.

During his breaks, Ontar can be find whittling small peices of wood and singing folk songs under his breath.

If Egan asks Ontar, then Ontar replies "I was sent on a mission by my superiors. I was-am- supposed to track down a follower of the evil gods."

drawingfreak
2008-01-20, 11:09 PM
It is the night of the second day out of Layford. Egan and Ontar are talking whilst on guard. Andolin, Mandorin, Glim, Autry and Simon are asleep next to the fire. The wagons flank the sleeping members of the caravan.

{{gunna need Listen checks from everyone...-5 for those sleeping}}

thevorpalbunny
2008-01-20, 11:14 PM
Egan
"A noble purpose. I have no such cause; I am merely a mercenary who got tired of large battles and went looking for smaller fights in which I could test my skill, not my luck."

Halna LeGavilk
2008-01-22, 12:23 AM
Ontar rubs his eyes and sighs. "Bettering oneself, whether in battle or not, is a noble purpose. Tracking down an evil person is hardly noble, when said person is your sister." Ontar smirks. "Besides, I worship St.Cuthbert, also known as the Cudgel. We pride ourselves on our- What was that?" Ontar stands up a bit more and looks around.

[roll0] Listen check.

If Ontar hears anything, he readies his morningstar, and shield. He does the same if anyone else hears anything and says something.

If he doesn't, he settles back into his former position

Soepvork
2008-01-22, 03:12 AM
Autry:

I guess I have nothing to say at the moment :)
Listen check [roll0]

thevorpalbunny
2008-01-22, 04:09 PM
Listen check: 12 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1469649/)

chrono
2008-01-22, 04:22 PM
Simon turns in his sleep, completely oblivious to his surroundings:

[roll0]

drawingfreak
2008-01-23, 12:16 AM
Pouncing from beyond the fire's light, Autry and Simon unaware, comes a large man with wide shoulders and a slight hunch to his back. His skin seems to be somewhere between grey and red and he his right eye bears a scar. He would seem almost feral if not for his semi-clean clothes.
"YOU'RE DEAD, KILLSNATH!" he screams into the night sky. He charges Ontar.

{{roll initiative...Autry and Simon are aware now but cant act till next turn}}

thevorpalbunny
2008-01-23, 07:29 AM
Initiative: 20 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1470290/)

Soepvork
2008-01-23, 08:10 AM
Autry:

Autry gets awaken by the noise. After rubbing his eyes quickly, he looks for his sword and his shield.

Initiative [roll0]

chrono
2008-01-23, 11:54 AM
Simon:

Initiative - [roll0]

Is Simon able to see the attacker (and vice versa) from inside the caravan?

Halna LeGavilk
2008-01-23, 11:11 PM
Ontar pulls up his shield and morningstar, and fixes into a defensive position.

Initiative: [roll0]

drawingfreak
2008-01-28, 08:03 AM
{{I don't have my notes on me, so I will not be posting the Initiative right away...however, I KNOW he didn't roll as high as Egan. Therefore, Egan, you may go.}}

thevorpalbunny
2008-01-29, 01:07 PM
Egan
"That seems a bit premature, don't you think?"
Egan charges, aiming to sweep the newcomer's legs out from under him.
"Ontar, he said your name. You recognize this hoodlum?"

Trip attempt on a charge (1d20+10=14) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1476176/)

drawingfreak
2008-01-30, 12:13 AM
{{The man gets an AOO here for the trip}}
As you approach, the man swings his sickle, stopping Egan in his tracks. {{take 1 damage}}

Initiative List!
Egan {{just went and failed!, oh!}}
Ontar
Autry {{not this turn}}
Strange Man
Simon {{not this turn}}

{{Ontar, it is your turn.}}

thevorpalbunny
2008-01-30, 02:27 PM
{{The man gets an AOO here for the trip}}
As you approach, the man swings his sickle, stopping Egan in his tracks. {{take 1 damage}}

Initiative List!
Egan {{just went and failed!, oh!}}
Ontar
Autry {{not this turn}}
Strange Man
Simon {{not this turn}}

{{Ontar, it is your turn.}}

{{Improved Trip. No AoO.}}

drawingfreak
2008-01-31, 01:32 AM
{{Oh...well, in that case, he falls flat on his face. Egan gets an attack then.}}

thevorpalbunny
2008-02-01, 08:25 AM
Egan follows up his trip with an attack from above with his sword.
"Not so tough when you're on the ground, eh?"
{Attack: 1d20+4= 19 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1479016/), 2d6+4= 10 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1479016/)}

drawingfreak
2008-02-03, 12:35 PM
The man takes the hit...hard...and falls unconscious. {{end battle...*grumblemumblecomplainunderbreath*}}

The wound in his side bleeds profusely.

thevorpalbunny
2008-02-03, 07:37 PM
"Hmm. I'd have thought he'd be tougher than that. Well, I'm in favor of questioning him. Anyone able to bind the wound? Actually, before that, anyone know how to tie him up?"
{{OOC: Sorry about that. I'll try not to take down an opponent in this first round next time. I think the second round will do nicely, though :smallbiggrin:}}

Halna LeGavilk
2008-02-03, 09:33 PM
Ontar walks over. "I do not have rope, nor am I any good with them." Ontar tries to stop the bleeding and bandage the man up. "However, hmm...."

[SPOILER]
Heal check to stop bleeding. [roll0]
Heal check to, um, heal him. [roll1]

Knowledge (religion) check to check any of the tattoos and see if he can identify them. [roll2]

Memory search check (I just made it up) [roll3] Is Ontar supposed to recognize this guy?

drawingfreak
2008-02-04, 12:48 AM
Ontar manages to stop the bleeding. The man remains unconscious.

After getting a better look at the man in a calmer environment {{everyone can react now, I really doubt anyone can sleep through all that...save for Glim}}, you notice that he is not tattooed at all {{which I never said he was :smallannoyed: }}, but that his skin for one reason or another makes slow shifts from one color to another ranging from gray to dark red. The scar on his eye seems to have been caused by a blade of some form.

Ontar does not recognize him.

chrono
2008-02-04, 10:00 AM
Simon jumps off the cart just in time to miss the action and joins the others.
Wha? Trouble already? Ya need any help?
Once he looks around and sees that there's no attackers and everybody is relatively calm he looks at Ontar (who is at the time over the body):
What did I miss? Somebody took Chameleon here with one swing? Better tie him up or at least search 'im before he's up again.

Soepvork
2008-02-04, 10:06 AM
Autry joins the other as well, still looking around wearily for other attackers. I see you have managed to overcome this one, I wonder what he will have to say by the time he comes by. Autry says to no one in particular.

Halna LeGavilk
2008-02-05, 06:34 PM
OOC:I'm sorry, I thought you said he had tattoos.

IC: Ontar searches the man for anything of any importance. He then turns to Simon. "Is this... chameleonism magical in any way?"

Search: [roll0]

drawingfreak
2008-02-06, 08:19 AM
{{not that you can tell}}

chrono
2008-02-06, 11:53 AM
Simon shrugs: Beats me, I slept through the 'freak recognition' part of my studies.
This could well have been meant as a joke, but you can't really tell because Simon doesn't smile (or look up for that matter) and his tone could be interpreted as anything from apathy to mild annoyance.

Knowledge (arcana) anyway, to try and recognize anything magical about the attacker:
[roll0]

Soepvork
2008-02-06, 12:04 PM
Autry

Since there's not much we can do while he's out anyway, why don't we try something that could give us more information?
After saying this, Autry detects evil.

thevorpalbunny
2008-02-06, 01:37 PM
Egan
"Well, whoever he is, he was really angry."
Egan sits to the side and cleans his sword.

drawingfreak
2008-02-08, 01:00 AM
{{Knowledge (arcana) tells you that while he is not magical in any real way, there is something other wordly about him.
You detect no evil.}}

chrono
2008-02-08, 11:46 AM
However,
Simon continues authoritatively without really addressing anybody and with no regard of ongoing conversation,
`is mom probably fooled around with somebody off this plane, if ya know what I mean. Or `is dad. Or both of `em. Gah, I would not want ta delve in this ghastly family affair.
Is `e carrying anything of interest?
Simon asks inquisitively, addressing whoever was searching.

thevorpalbunny
2008-02-08, 06:31 PM
"Or anything of value, for that matter. Also, I'd like to take a look at that sickle. If it's good quality, perhaps I will recognize the smith's mark."

Soepvork
2008-02-09, 08:29 AM
Autry

Well, since he't not intrinsically evil, he might have a good explanation for this, Autry states pretty matter-of-factly. Let's see what he has to say when he comes by.

drawingfreak
2008-02-10, 01:12 AM
{{His sickle is a standard sickle. His other possessions include a standard dagger and about 50 gold.
...shall we fast forward or do you want to poke and prod him some more?}}

thevorpalbunny
2008-02-10, 07:41 AM
Egan
After examining the sickle, he says
"Hmm. Good quality, not great, but still serviceable. Not bad condition, either. Anyone mind if I keep it?"
{{Yes, fast forward would be good}}

Soepvork
2008-02-10, 09:35 AM
Autry

Maybe we should hear what the man has to say before we start looting him. From what I've seen, which is not much, all the man did was running and shouting, and I don't think either, by itself, is a crime.

(by the way, fast forwarding is okay with me).

drawingfreak
2008-02-10, 11:25 AM
About an hour passes and eventually, the man comes to.

"Ug...me side." He then notices that he is tied up and after a moment of being wide eyed, he starts struggling against them, growling.

chrono
2008-02-10, 01:27 PM
As the man starts to move, Simon circles around him to be behind him (or at least out of sight when he opens his eyes) and about 10 feet away. He doesn't say anything or look at his companions.

thevorpalbunny
2008-02-10, 02:41 PM
{{Before fast-forward:}}
"If he has a good reason for attacking us, I'll give it back. If not, I could use a short weapon I can trip with."
{{After fast-forward:}}
"Hello, big guy. Care to explain why you came in making all that ruckus?"

drawingfreak
2008-02-10, 11:59 PM
"I got no quar'l with ya, boy. My business is with Killsnath."

thevorpalbunny
2008-02-11, 12:13 AM
"Well, he doesn't think he has any business with you. But I'll let you talk, Ontar."

drawingfreak
2008-02-14, 09:05 PM
The man looks at Ontar and studies him.
"Hmm. You're not the Killsnath I know. You related to him or somethin'? He's a big guy. Paladin I think."

Halna LeGavilk
2008-02-14, 10:59 PM
Ontar nods. "The man you are speaking of is in fact my brother. He is a paladin, and if you fell this easily to us, he would surely lay waste to you." Ontar laughs. "I have no doubt he could defeat all of us at the same time. Now, please, tell us what your quarrel is with my brother."

drawingfreak
2008-02-15, 01:55 AM
"Brother? You got one old brother then. Must have seen something really nasty to make him all grey in the hair like that."

Halna LeGavilk
2008-02-16, 04:40 PM
Ontar stands still for a second, muttering to himself. "Gray hair?...last time I...it's not possible..." Then his eyes go wide. "No...you can't possibly mean...he...he died... in the crusade..." He shakes his head in shock.
Ontar picks the man up by the shoulders and slams him against the wagon. "Where did you see this man? WHERE?"

chrono
2008-02-17, 10:38 AM
Simon

Oh great, a family affair!, Simon groans under his breath. I aint loosin' sleep over this. I'm going back to da wagon now, yell real loud if ya need me.

Simon goes back obviously irritated and murmuring under his breath.

drawingfreak
2008-02-18, 01:00 AM
The man smiles wickedly. "Well now. I seem to be holding all the cards here, eh? Why don't you let me go and I'll tell ye everything ya need to know."

Soepvork
2008-02-18, 01:57 AM
Why don't you tell everything you know and we let you go? Sounds fair enough to me, considering you were the one who charged us.

drawingfreak
2008-02-18, 12:42 PM
"No dice, pal. I know when I've got the upper hand and I've been in too many situations like this to let this opportunity slide. I give ye my word I'll behave like a good boy. He ain't the man I plan to kill, anyway."

Soepvork
2008-02-18, 12:51 PM
"You might have to enlighten me on this one, but how is being tied up and being at the mercy of others having the upper hand? I do not wish to harm you, but I cannot say what others will do. If you tell us I'll give you my word that I'll let you leave here freely."

Do I get diplomacy rolls for this?

Halna LeGavilk
2008-02-18, 06:00 PM
Ontar growls. "Tell me what I want to know, and I promise I won't snap every single one of your fingers. It'd be well within my rights, too. "

[roll0] Intimidate
[roll1] If he doesn't comply, second intimidate.

If the man still doesn't comply, then Ontar sets the man's hand and Ontar's morningstar in a position in which Ontar could crush the man's hand. "One more chance."

drawingfreak
2008-02-19, 09:40 PM
"Ok! Ok! I'll tell you, I'll tell! I met him in Lakebed a few months back. He caught me...on the job, you might say. Taught me a lesson." He motions to the scar over his eye. "Last I saw he was headed East. You look a lot like him, ya know. Thought I was going to be able to get some revenge."

Halna LeGavilk
2008-02-19, 11:59 PM
Ontar drops the man. "Hmmm. Well then. Like Autry, I'll let you go. I just wonder how Simon and Egan feel about it. I could still hand you over to my superiors, or just break your hand, if either of them wish."
He calls over to them. "Simon, Egan, do you wish to free this man?"

chrono
2008-02-20, 11:49 AM
Simon
There's movement inside the wagon that Simon rides in and there are a few seconds filled with sounds of shuffling feet with a number of accompanying grunts. A moment later Simon's sour face shows from the side:
Eh? What do ya... Oh, him. Yeah, ye might as well let 'im go. I've got no business with 'im if that's what yer asking. Jus let 'im know that next time we see 'im with a drawn weapon he'll be killed on the spot.
With that Simon withdraws out of sight inside the caravan.

thevorpalbunny
2008-02-20, 01:24 PM
Egan
"Eh, sure. Here, he can have his blade back."
Egan tosses the sickle into the space next to him.
"But I would like to know just who it is that tried to kill us."

drawingfreak
2008-02-20, 01:46 PM
As he gets up {{I assume he was untied}}, he places the sickle at his side.

"Name's Deegan. Mercenary. If you see your father, let him know I'm looking. Surprise attacks don't seem to be working for me these days, anyway."

With that he storms off into the night.

Halna LeGavilk
2008-02-22, 07:30 PM
Ontar walks over to Andolin, and if he is sleeping, gently wakes him up. "Are we going to be passing anywhere near Lakebed in the next few weeks?"

drawingfreak
2008-02-23, 01:34 AM
Andolin, having been wide awake due to the fight, nods.

"That would be our first destination. We are traveling along the lake cities and then moving across the plains to the elf lands."

Soepvork
2008-02-23, 03:54 AM
Autry is confused about everything he has heard, and decides to ponder over it for the night.

If he gets the chance the next day, he tries to talk to Ontar. "Sorry to bother you Ontar, but there is still somethign I can't get my head around. Was the man looking for you brother or your father? And if so, do you know what business he might have with them?"

Halna LeGavilk
2008-02-23, 09:33 AM
Ontar sighs. "He was looking for my Father. And, I do not know what quarrel he could have with my father, for my father has been missing since I was a child. He lead a crusade into the Abyss, but no one ever returned."

drawingfreak
2008-02-27, 03:17 PM
Andolin pauses from packing the camp and places a hand on Ontar's shoulder.

"Don't worry, my boy. We'll find out what's going on. Now let's get this camp packed and move on. More than likely we'll hear something in Lakebed."

Halna LeGavilk
2008-02-28, 11:35 PM
Ontar nods and helps finish packing up the camp, and takes first shift of guard duty.

drawingfreak
2008-03-07, 12:52 AM
{{Did I give out experience for this incident? If not, 300 to Egan for the kicking of the ass, and 50 to everyone for RPing}}

The rest of the trip goes on without a hitch. It isn't long until the gated walls of Lakebed rise over the horizon. Being the second largest city in the Heiron Papacy, it is a while before you see the bottom of the walls. Much gold was spent moving the gray stones from the western mountain range to Lakebed that one has to wonder why the Papacy isn't broke. The walls are about seventeen meters high with guards walking on its top and two at the gate sitting at a small table. They seem to be playing a game of some kind that you cannot see from here. The fatter one seems to be winning. The only thing you can see over it is a single steeple with the symbol of Heironeous at the top.

When you are about twenty feet from the gates, the guards see you and stand, spears in hand.

"Halt. Who goes there?" Andolin signals for the wagons to stop.

chrono
2008-03-07, 02:30 AM
Simon
Simon raises his head from within the wagon and grunts.
Ach, so we're here, are we? I wasn't aware Lakebed was renowned fer its mild-mannered sharp-minded citizens.
Simon's voice is much too low for anybody outside (i.e. guard) to hear. With a little smile he picks up his backpack and goes through his things, making sure that everything is in order.

Halna LeGavilk
2008-03-07, 07:55 PM
Ontar chuckles at Simon, and prepares his mace and draws his holy symbol out of his armor.

drawingfreak
2008-03-19, 11:08 PM
Andolin approaches cautiously from his horse.

"We are but weary, traveling merchants looking to sell in the great city of Lakebed."

"Do you have your merchant papers?" the guard asks.

"Of course." Andolin drops from his horse and rummages through the saddle bag, retrieving a parchment. He walks over to the larger guard and shows it.

chrono
2008-03-20, 04:32 AM
Simon watches with obvious indifference. Human paperwork never seemed fascinating or even mildly noteworthy to him.

Halna LeGavilk
2008-03-20, 08:42 PM
Ontar keeps behind Andolin, wearily watching the guards.

drawingfreak
2008-03-22, 11:47 PM
The guards nod to Andolin and then whistle to the top of the wall as they hand the paperwork back.
"Your free to enter. Good seelin', sir, and welcome to Lakebed."
Andolin rides back to the wagons and leads them through the gate to the city.

Lakebed is filled with multi-floored buildings. The tallest is, of course, the church you saw from behind the wall, the steeple about ten stories off the ground. Most buildings range from four to six stories and the streets are starting to come to life with the beginning of the day.
{{note to self, show more detail to time of day -_-}}

Andolin leads the caravan to the center of town, not far from the Second Church of Heironeous, the name of which you managed to catch while riding past just as morning mass was beginning. He dismounts at a building just outside a major square and knocks on the side of the wall next to the storefront. An elderly man approaches and looks at Andolin's papers before presenting him with a map of the area and other papers. Andolin talks with him as he looks over the map and is directed to a location near the center of the square, which he then leads the caravan to.

"Well, my men and I can take it from here. He tells you as they begin to unload the merchandise. "We leave here in three days time at sundown. Feel free to go about the town as you wish and I will see you then."

With that, he goes about his business just as the square comes to life.

{{So, whatchya wanna do?}}

chrono
2008-03-23, 08:00 AM
Simon stretches a bit and steps from foot to foot. The sight of a dwarf doing exercise is likely comical to many, but it almost seems as if Simon's doing it to emphasize his discomfort with the ride.
So, Simon calls out to his companions, what ever happened to tha gold captain whats-his-name gave us fer holding off the kobolds?
The dwarf scratches his head and looks quizzically at his companions.

thevorpalbunny
2008-03-23, 05:55 PM
"I took it, but I almost forgot after our employer showed up and was asking whether we could work for him. I'll fetch it out of my pack."
A moment later, he returns from the cart with the small purse full of gold. "I don't think I ever looked at how much was in here, but it's pretty heavy. I'll count it while I split it four ways, if that's alright."
He waits a moment for a response, then spreads it on the floor of the cart and starts counting it out. "112 gold apiece, with 2 gold change. You wouldn't happen to have ten or twenty silver on you, would you?"

chrono
2008-03-24, 04:09 AM
Simon waves his hand in dismissal.

Naaahh, forget change. Tha point is ta have some coin ta buy supplies and a mug o beer or three. Simon smiles to himself.
I could use a murky brew just about now. Simon sweeps his share of the gold coins, not really caring about change. He packs them carefully in his gold pouch which is then carefully placed deep inside the backpack. Simon eyes his companions then looks down at the three gold coins that he kept in his hand. He jingles them with a few sharp shakes of his hand and smiles at the mental count of how much beer that makes.
Simon turns around and takes a few steps in the direction that looks most likely to have a tavern, then stops in his tracks and turns around.
So where are we heading after this anyway?

thevorpalbunny
2008-03-24, 09:04 PM
"S' alright. Old merchant's habits die hard, you know?"
He also takes his leave, but stops to take note of Simon's question.

Halna LeGavilk
2008-03-24, 10:36 PM
Ontar slings his morningstar back onto his belt, and puts his coins into a part of his backpack. "I need to go look for my father, and I was going to go to the Temple of Hieroneous. If any of you wish to join me, you are welcome."

Ontar waits for anyone to join him, then starts walking back to the temple.

drawingfreak
2008-03-29, 01:38 AM
{{So, are we all headed for the temple or the pub?}}

chrono
2008-03-29, 01:51 PM
It looks like for now we're splitting up and going both ways.

Halna LeGavilk
2008-03-29, 03:45 PM
Yup. Is anyone going with Ontar?

drawingfreak
2008-04-03, 11:18 AM
{{Bump
So Ontar is going to the temple. Simon to the booze, err...tavern. Egan? Autry?}}

thevorpalbunny
2008-04-03, 04:04 PM
{Just walking around, will end up at the tavern in an hour or so.}

Halna LeGavilk
2008-04-04, 07:14 PM
Ontar approaches the temple, walking straight for its doors. He pushes them aside, and finds the nearest person. "Do you perchance keep records of visiting paladins and clerics?"

drawingfreak
2008-04-04, 11:51 PM
"Indeed we do, good sir. But, as I am sure you will understand, some of our records are restricted for certain reasons. If I may have a name and title, I will see what i can find for you."

Halna LeGavilk
2008-04-08, 10:56 PM
"I am Ontar Killsnath, Holy Warrior of St. Cuthbert, Initiate Class. I am here on a quest looking for my father. He is, or was, at least, a paladin of Hieroneous, last I heard of him."

chrono
2008-04-09, 01:21 AM
Simon walks around the streets for a bit, murmuring to himself a wide array of offensive terms about the irritating passers by. Once he sees a tavern he groans happily, walks in and waves the bar maid (or guy) to bring him a beer.

drawingfreak
2008-04-10, 01:12 AM
Halna LeGavilk
"Well, allow me a few minutes and I will see what we can find." And the clerk goes off.

A few minutes later he returns with nothing.
"I'm sorry, sir. But the only files we have on a man named Killsnath are purely confidential."

Simon
The Lonely Serpent Inn is home to the most lively bar room you could find. Decent dining, good music, and you managed to find the last open seat at the bar. Your given a mug of Blue Sprite Ale which is blue only in name and it tastes great. Not as potent as dwarven ale, but still affective.

Anyone else?

Halna LeGavilk
2008-04-10, 07:36 PM
Ontar sighs. "Can I talk to your superior, preferably the High Priest of this chapel? I may have information relating to my father's whereabouts."

drawingfreak
2008-04-11, 12:22 AM
"I would be happy to inform him. If you can come back later today, say around noon, I will be able to let you know."

Halna LeGavilk
2008-04-11, 09:05 PM
Ontar bows. "Thank you, sir. I would be glad." Ontar walks out of the temple and searches for his comrades.

OOC: Where is everybody, anyway?

thevorpalbunny
2008-04-23, 08:39 AM
{Not doing stuff?}
Egan finishes wandering and ends up at the tavern, walking up to the bar.
"I'd like a pint of whatever you've got. Something dark if you've got it."
He nods to Simon.

drawingfreak
2008-04-24, 07:52 AM
{{If everyone is ok with it, shall we move on to noon of the next day?}}

Halna LeGavilk
2008-04-27, 08:46 PM
I think we should.

drawingfreak
2008-05-07, 09:34 AM
{{Ok, I have plans for this game. However! I am having a LOT of work coming in from classes so I am going to have to temporarily postpone this game until further notice. I am NOT abandoning this game.

In the meantime, continue to consider your character's background. If you have questions about the history of the world and the like, drop me a PM and I will get to you as soon as possible.}}