PDA

View Full Version : Need help with inventor class mechanic

Townopolis
2007-10-01, 03:28 AM
Ok, so long story short, I'm trying to create an inventor type class for a campaign setting I'm creating. The setting is classical-ancient in nature, but still has crazy inventors like that guy in Scorpion King. I'm making a class for them, and have devised a mechanic to govern what they can invent. It's not limitless, but it's the best I can come up with.

It works like this. The Esoteric (class name) gains Technology, Principles, and Components. Technology is a rating, which puts a limiting factor on their options. Principles and Components give them options.

For example, a level 1 Esoteric has Technology 1. He may only use aspects at tech level 1 and may only use 1 aspect/gadget. A level 5 Esoteric has Technology 2. He may use aspects at up to tech level 2 and may use 2 aspects/gadget. An Esoteric gains access to aspects by learning new Principles and Components.

Principles are learned at level 1, 4, 9, 14, and 19. By 19th level, an Esoteric knows 5 out of 10 possible principles. A principle gives the Esoteric: a permanent ability, 1-2 recipes for minor items, and 2-3 aspects (each aspects has a version for each tech level). Principle given aspects are usually primary effects.

Components are learned at level 1, 2, and every 3 levels thereafter. By 19th level, an Esoteric knows 7 out of 15 possible components. A component gives an Esoteric: 1-2 recipes for minor items, and 1-2 aspects. Component aspects usually modify the effects created by another aspect.

When creating an item, the Esoteric first chooses a chassis for his gadget. A handheld item costs a certain amount to create, a thrown weapon costs a certain amount. Boots costs this much and head items cost that much. So on and so forth. Items with abilities that use charges must be given an activation, which may increase the cost. Items that use charges must also be charged, and each charge costs a certain amount. After deciding on a gadget's specifications: slot, activation, number of charges, abilities, and such, the Esoteric determines the total requirements for creating the item. Then if he wants to create that item, he pays the gp cost, spends the time needed, and makes all the checks (failing some of the skill checks usually means working longer, but sometimes also means spending more money or even starting over from scratch). 8 hours=1 day.

My problem now is that I need help coming up with 10 principles and 15 components.

Examples. These probably aren't balanced, the numbers are just for example.

Principle of Combustion
Ability: Resistance to Fire 1/-
Recipes: Fire Bead: Simple thrown weapon, 1d4 fire damage, 10' range, no criticals, no Strength bonus to damage. Creation Requirements: 0 gp, 1 hour, Craft: Alchemy check (DC 10).
Aspects:
Explosive: Item explodes after being used, dealing 1d6 fire damage/tech level to all creatures in a 15' radius. Reflex save DC 10+1/2 creator's Esoteric level for half damage. Creation Requirements: +10 gp, +4 hours, Craft: Alchemy check (DC 10+5/tech level).
Bright Light: Items shines brightly for 1 hour/tech level. Shedding bright light in a 10' radius, normal light in a 40' radius, and shadowy illumination in a 70' radius. Each use uses 1 charge. Creation Requirements: +5, +1/2 hour/charge, Craft: Alchemy check (DC 5+5/tech level).
Heating: Item grants the wearer/holder Resistance to cold x/- (x=tech level*2) for 1 minute/tech level. Each use uses 1 charge. Creation Requirements: +20 gp, +1 hour/charge, Craft: Alchemy check (DC 10+5/tech level).

Component: Ground Glass Lens
Recipes:
Targeting Sight: Permanent modification to existing bow or crossbow. Gives the modified weapon +1 to rolls made to confirm critical hits. Creation Requirements: 100 gp, 1 day, Craft: Jeweler check (DC 15).
Aspects:
Focusing Lens: Increases the distances of a light source by 10'/tech level, but reduces its coverage by 1 category (Radius becomes cone, cone becomes line). Creation Requirements: +10 gp, +4 hours, Craft: Jeweler check (DC 10+5/tech level).
Optical lenses: Face slot gadgets only, gives +1 to spot checks while worn. Creation Requirements: +50 gp, 1 day, Craft: Jeweler check (DC 15).

So, for example, a level 5 Esoteric with both of these could create, among other things, a very bright bullseye lantern shining bright light in a 30'cone, normal light in a 60' cone, and shadowy illumination in a 90' cone for 2 hours/charge. Maybe it's a handheld item with a full round activation and 10 charges. (uses tech 2 bright light and tech 2 focusing lens.) He could also make a fragmentation grenade. A thrown weapon that deals 2d6 damage to everyone in 15' when it hits. (Using tech 2 explosive.) Or he could make, for example, a gadget using tech 2 bright light and tech 2 heating to give 2 hours of light or 2 minutes of warmth per charge.

I'm still refining the gadget design process, but principles and components are pretty much set in stone. Now I just need some help designing all 25 of them.

The Neoclassic
2007-10-01, 07:40 AM
Well, you could make some of the cooler principles and components only available past a certain class level, so you wouldn't worry about having to balance a watered down version of what you'd like it to really be like.

Anyway, so you just want ideas for these principles or components? Well, here's an idea...
Principle of Sound: For a recipe, some sort of firecrackers that deal sonic damage or temporarily deafen those nearby. Gain resistance to sonic of 1. Aspects could include things that absorb sound (increase Move Silently check for a certain period of time), thing that enhance sound (+2 to Listen checks for anything within a certain radius), things that deal sonic damage, things that enhance sonic spells or bardic music, or things that deafen.

I'll return with any more ideas should I be inspired. Looks like a pretty cool class.

CthulhuM
2007-10-01, 08:19 AM
It sounds very cool, and at least nothing you listed looks broken. One point I'd make is that any saving throws should be based off 1/.2 class level, since it's a 20 level class.

Other than that, the Dragonmech campaign setting has a somewhat similar system that involves combining steam-powered components into any number of possible devices (lightning guns, robotic arms, etc.). It's probably a little more high-tech than you're looking for, but it might be a worthwhile place to mine for ideas.

Generic PC
2007-10-01, 08:35 AM
cool idea. Potential for a player to come out and suprise you with something that totally breaks the game, but that would happen anyway, unless you have a good group.

Townopolis
2007-10-01, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the positive ideas and feedback so far.

CthulhuM: Do you know a place online I could find so Dragonmech material to look at? Sounds interesting.

Queenfange: Principle of Sound, I like that.

Something like,
Principle of Sound
Ability: Resistance to Sonic 1/-.
Aspects:
Sonic Boom: Item explodes, creating a sonic boom after being used, dealing 1d4/tech level sonic and deafening all within a 15' radius for 1 round/tech level (fortitude save DC 10+1/2 creater's Esoteric Level negates the deafening effect). Creation Requirements: +10 gp, +4 hours, Craft: Alchemy check (DC 10+5/tech level).
Listening Aid: Head slot gadgets only, adds +1/tech level to listen checks while worn. Creation Requirements: +50 gp, 1 day, Craft: Blacksmithing check (DC 10+5/tech level).
Sound Dampening: Decreases the volume of sound around the Gadget and provides Resistance to Sonic 1/tech level. If applied to a foot slot item, also gives a +1 circumstance bonus to move silently checks while worn. If applied to a head slot item, Imposes a -1/tech level penalty to listen checks, but grants a +2/tech level circumstance bonus to saves against deafening effects. Creation Requirements: +50 gp, 1 day, Craft: Leatherworking check (DC 15+5/tech level).
Sound Distortion: Distorts sounds when placed over the source. Listeners must make a Listen check (DC 10+5/tech level) to identify the sound's source by hearing. Crafter may choose whether or not the gadget renders speech unintelligible or not. Creation Requirements: +75 gp, 2 days, Craft: Blacksmithing check (DC 12+5/tech level).

I've been thinking that each Principle/Component could use some more aspects, and the aspects could have a few extra less-crunchy effects, to give Esoterics a little more utility and room to play around.

Stuff so far...
-Principles:
Principle of Combustion: Knowledge of the properties of fire and how produce and manipulate those properties.
Principle of Sound: Knowledge of the properties of sound and how to produce and manipulate those properties. (Thanks to Queenfange)
Principle of Tension: Twisted rope, yew wood, troll gut, metal springs, all these create energy and effect through tension. The principle of tension illuminates the properties of tension, and how to produce and manipulate them.
Principle of Work: Work is equal to force*movement. Knowledge of this principle allows the creation of lever mechanisms, cranks, and other similar devices intended to get more work done.
-Components:
Ground Glass Lens: The use of a glass lens allows the enhancement of light and vision.
Counterweight: Counterweights are a source of kinetic energy, allowing thrown items to fly further and providing a supplamental source of kinetic force.