PDA

View Full Version : Fixing two cantrips at once

Dalebert
2019-03-31, 08:50 PM
Mending and Spare the Dying are both weak cantrips. Combine them!

Mending
Transmutation cantrip

Casting time: 1 action
Range: touch
Components: V, S
Duration: instantaneous or one minute (see desc)

This spell repairs a single break or tear in an object you touch, such as a broken chain link, two halves of a broken key, a torn cloak, or a leaking wineskin. As long as the break or tear is no larger than 1 foot in any dimension, you mend it. leaving no trace of the former damage.

This spell can physically repair a magic item or construct, but the spell can’t restore magic to such an object.

If cast on a living creature with zero hit points that's not an undead or construct, the creature instantly becomes stable. If the creature still has zero hit points and is alive one minute later, it regains 1 hit point.

No brains
2019-03-31, 10:16 PM
Does this mean a Grave Cleric can fix two items around at a range of 30 feet?

Who can defeat this combo of mortician and renovator!?!

Sigreid
2019-03-31, 10:56 PM
I've never considered mending weak and pretty much always take it if I have the option. It's just too handy when your gear fails you in the field.

CTurbo
2019-03-31, 11:06 PM
Mending is weak if stuff never breaks. If you have a DM that doesn't think that way then Mending is indeed weak.

But things do break sometimes as they should, and Mending is a nice cantrip to have.

DarkKnightJin
2019-04-01, 12:01 AM
My Cleric wouldn't mind having this buffed version of Mending. Though partly so he doesn't have to 'waste' a spell slot on picking up an ally if they fall over.

Coffee_Dragon
2019-04-01, 01:28 AM
Some consider Gust to be the most useless cantrip. Combine it with Message!

Breeze
You can send out a gentle breeze which delivers messages (as Message) or a mean breeze which blows people aside (as Gust). You can't open or close windows though, Prestidigitation does that.

DarkKnightJin
2019-04-01, 06:17 AM
Some consider Gust to be the most useless cantrip. Combine it with Message!

Breeze
You can send out a gentle breeze which delivers messages (as Message) or a mean breeze which blows people aside (as Gust). You can't open or close windows though, Prestidigitation does that.

Pretty sure Presti can't do anything with doors and windows. You're thinking Thaumaturgy or Mage Hand.

Coffee_Dragon
2019-04-01, 06:56 AM
Not only is it Thaumaturgy opening and closing doors and windows, upon rereadment Gust itself can at least conditionally shut windows.

DarkKnightJin
2019-04-01, 08:00 AM
Not only is is Thaumaturgy opening and closing doors and windows, upon rereadment Gust itself can at least conditionally shut windows.

Gust is also fun for a Tabaxi to be the @$$hole cat from across the room.
Though an Arcane Trickster version would still be much better at it.

Dalebert
2019-04-01, 09:53 AM
Mending is weak if stuff never breaks. If you have a DM that doesn't think that way then Mending is indeed weak.

When does this happen in your games? When _should_ it happen? The only things I can think of are saving a few coins on arrows and oozes that specifically DMG armor. But strictly speaking, mending shouldn't work on ooze dmg. Some DMs are lenient.

What I like is this makes the cantrip worthwhile to do instead of just using a healing kit due to waking them up soon so they can short rest but not fast enough to get back into the fight. Therefore makes it clearly inferior to healing word.

stoutstien
2019-04-01, 04:44 PM
i think ive taken mending on every character that has it as an option.
need infallible manacles? forge up some that have no clasp. slap them on and cast mending to close
offer to fix up minor damage in small villages to get some good local PR.
hide damage done during after hours activities.
fix that net that was ripped during a fight.
fix the prompt too halfling carrier you made out of your backpack

Dalebert
2019-04-01, 08:21 PM
need infallible manacles? forge up some that have no clasp. slap them on and cast mending to close

You're okay with spending a minute to fasten some manacles?

offer to fix up minor damage in small villages to get some good local PR.

This feels like something that would just get old really fast. Either the DM hand-waves the details or he doesn't which could be tedious. "Farmer John has a hole in his bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza. If you fix it for him, he'll be real happy and give you a couple taters."

hide damage done during after hours activities.

Okay.

fix that net that was ripped during a fight.

This one seems legit, if someone actually uses a net. It's a very niche tactic that calls upon certain feats to become viable. I've yet to see it done but I keep hearing about it in theory.

fix the prompt too halfling carrier you made out of your backpack

I had to read this about six times but I understand it now. I think you meant "impromptu".

I suppose these things come up in your game but I can practically count on one hand how many times Mending has been used in my presence in my entire D&D career. When I hear lists like this it just strikes me as rather hypothetical, like people want the cantrip because they envision these scenarios that in actual play are extremely rare.

Klaus Teufel
2019-04-02, 02:43 AM
I think a mending spell of this nature should be able to stabilise constructs.

Dalebert
2019-04-02, 08:20 AM
I think a mending spell of this nature should be able to stabilise constructs.

If you've decided as a DM to give a construct at zero hp death saves, then that doesn't seem like a stretch to me. But I think most DMs consider it dead and non-magical at that point.

No brains
2019-04-02, 11:27 PM
If this version of the spell is dispelled, does that mean the creature will not regain 1hp after 1 minute?

Also, how do you feel about this buff interacting with the grave cleric's buff to Spare The Dying?

Arcangel4774
2019-04-02, 11:33 PM
If you get a dm that makes you track arrows, mending is a godsend.

Cybren
2019-04-03, 08:08 AM
When does this happen in your games? When _should_ it happen? The only things I can think of are saving a few coins on arrows and oozes that specifically DMG armor. But strictly speaking, mending shouldn't work on ooze dmg. Some DMs are lenient.

We made use of mending in a dilapidated estate to sell all the tattered clothing as high quality antiques

Dalebert
2019-04-03, 09:21 AM
If this version of the spell is dispelled, does that mean the creature will not regain 1hp after 1 minute?

Correct. But remains stable.

lso, how do you feel about this buff interacting with the grave cleric's buff to Spare The Dying?

I would apply the same changes. For the creature application it would work the same except be 30 ft range and a bonus action.

No brains
2019-04-03, 01:29 PM
Maybe this is better as a broader question for Grave clerics, but must they cast this spell as a bonus action, or could they cast it as bonus and standard to use it twice in a round?