PDA

View Full Version : Is “True Hearing” a thing?

Segev
2019-04-01, 08:41 AM
It occurred to me that True Seeing doesn’t cover anything but sight. Are there ways to be immune to or see through non visual illusions? Or would a skilled use of non-visual illusions have a reasonable chance of affecting/fooling mages even at high level, especially if they rely on their all-piercing spells to penetrate illusions as a habit?

ngilop
2019-04-01, 09:14 AM
Isn't that kinda what blindsight is? Like echolocation and such?

I guess tremor sense would fall into this as well.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-04-01, 09:19 AM
True seeing + synesthete (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/synesthete.htm) would work, if you use the latter to see sound.

liquidformat
2019-04-01, 09:37 AM
Isn't that kinda what blindsight is? Like echolocation and such?

I guess tremor sense would fall into this as well.

Blindsight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#blindsightAndBlindsense) isn't always based on sound it is an umbrella term for such sense may include sensitivity to vibrations, acute scent, keen hearing, or echolocation. So in that sense tremor sense is a subsidiary of blind sight/blind sense specifically for vibrations. So it would depend on what the blind sight/sense is based on if scent, or vibration it would probably overcome a purely audible illusion, however, blind sight/sense based on keen hearing or echo location should still be subject to the audible illusion.

My first thought was Listening Lorecall however, it doesn't talk about audible illusions. From what I can tell the only "True Hearing" ability that exists in 3.5 is making a DC 80 listen check (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#listen). Granted they really shot that one in the knees since the RAW says if the listener beats the DC by 20 or more they can pinpoint the location of the invisible creature, though it maintains total concealment which means it is a waste of time... In contrast a DC 80 Spot check pierces any illusion, so in that sense Spot is a better skill than listen.

Hand_of_Vecna
2019-04-01, 09:45 AM
Wow you totally just blew my mind. It's never occurred to me that the sounds from auditory illusions aren't real. That is to say that they are less real than sounds coming from a hidden speaker. I've always assumed that "seeing through" auditory illusions had to do with noticing flaws in the sound as they aren't reproduced perfectly.

If illusion sounds are fake unsounds then tremor sense should feel their fakeness I guess.

liquidformat
2019-04-01, 10:32 AM
Wow you totally just blew my mind. It's never occurred to me that the sounds from auditory illusions aren't real. That is to say that they are less real than sounds coming from a hidden speaker. I've always assumed that "seeing through" auditory illusions had to do with noticing flaws in the sound as they aren't reproduced perfectly.

If illusion sounds are fake unsounds then tremor sense should feel their fakeness I guess.

So tremorsense specifies that the creature can identify the location of anything that comes in contact with the ground/water within range, and from the description there is a strong RAI that this only counts against objects and creatures not sounds. However, even if we do include sound since it is a 'thing', all that tremorsense would tell you is where the audible component of the illusion comes in contact with the ground/water and nothing else. So in that way I don't think it would have any affect on the creature's ability to identify an audible component of an illusion as such. Blind sense/sight based on sound/echolocation/scent on the other hand would probably help to some extent using listen/survival checks as applicable. Granted blind sense in and of itself gives no bonuses to any skill checks...

The Kool
2019-04-01, 10:36 AM
I would personally recommend some independent research. Take True Seeing, replace sight with sound, you have your new spell. Lower the level of the spell by 1 if your DM is feeling generous.

magic9mushroom
2019-04-01, 08:07 PM
It occurred to me that True Seeing doesn’t cover anything but sight. Are there ways to be immune to or see through non visual illusions? Or would a skilled use of non-visual illusions have a reasonable chance of affecting/fooling mages even at high level, especially if they rely on their all-piercing spells to penetrate illusions as a habit?

Listen DC 80 defeats all illusions with an auditory component.

Touching a tactile illusion always, TTBOMK, grants a Will save to disbelieve.