PDA

View Full Version : The Warbarian - A Fun Crit-Fishing Eldrich-Smiting Build

Doccit
2019-04-01, 12:56 PM
The Warbaraian! The Warlock/Barbarian/Warrior(fighter)! A build that combines all reckless craziness of the Barbarian with all of the social chaos of the Warlock while arguably out-tanking and out-damaging both. I love both of these classes and marrying them like this works shockingly well. This build is entirely PHB+1 compatible.

The Backstory (Example)

Thousands of years ago your ancestor was a companion of Torm until he ascended to demigodhood. So deep was your ancestor's devotion to knightly duty that upon their request, Torm bound the souls of that ancestor and all of their legitimate heirs to the prime material plane as ghosts until such a time as the Tarasque was slain. Since then your family has climbed up and down the feudal ladder while waiting for the Tarasque to re-awaken, and has recently fallen on hard times. You've struck out as an adventurer to acquire the funds needed to repair your family's decrepit and extremely haunted castle to its former glory. Since you've donned your armour and taken up your glaive, visions of your house's noble progenitors have began appearing in your dreams, and a mysterious force seems to take control of your body in the heat of battle.

Here is the basic gameplan:

Level 1-5 - Variant Human Ancestral Guardians Barbarian
Level 6-10 - Celestial Warlock
Level 11-14 - Champion Fighter
Level 15-20 - Celestial Warlock

Throughout this I'll be comparing this build to a 1-20 variant human ancestral guardians barbarian.

Levels 1-5

With 27 point buy your stats are STR 16 - DEX 14 - CON 14 - INT 9 - WIS 8 - CHA 13. For our comparison barbarian we'll say STR 16 - DEX 14 - CON 16 - INT 8 - WIS 10 - CHA 8.

Your variant human bonus feat is Polearm Master, to get you that sweet bonus action attack and way to somewhat reliably make use of your reaction. The plan is to get within 10ft of the enemy, double-attack, and then back up so they're just beyond the point of your glaive.

At level 4, you are going for great weapon master. Because of your backing up strategy, using reckless attack isn't nearly as costly (in terms of hitpoints) for you as it is for other barbarians.

At level 5, with extra attack, you are already a force to be reckoned with. Attacking recklessly, you've got a 50% chance to hit 15 AC and a 30% chance to hit 20 AC. If you get a reaction attack off, your expected damage in a round where you aren't raging and don't crit is 76.5. (Whoa!) Accounting for your 35% chance to crit assuming reckless attack on all but the reaction, and rage damage, your expected damage is 86.5 (!!!).

Tactics: I'd advise raging only when you're worried about your allies taking damage. Your ancestral guardians feature puts enemies in a really bad spot when they're adjacent to an ally if you're raging - they can either attack your ally at disadvantage doing only 1/2 damage on hit, take two opportunity attacks (one from your ally and one from you) in order to get into melee with you, or make a ranged attack against you at disadvantage.

The only difference between the Warbarian and the control Barbarian at this point is a paltry 5 hitpoints. I won't say that will never make a difference, but giving up 5HP now is worth it later, as I shall demonstrate.

Levels 6-10

The reason I made this build is because I was frustrated with how the PAM/GWM barbarian doesn't seem to get much better after level 5. Sure their attacks get more accurate because their proficiency bonus and strength go up, but they would if they took levels in any class. Spirit shield and feral instinct are great, but is it so wrong to want more utility? Let's talk about the pact you've made with your ghostly ancestor to restore the glory and wealth of your ancient noble house - Celestial Warlock.

At level 6 you get four cantrips: light, sacred flame, +2. You won't be casting them in combat, so pick fun ones like prestidigitation. You also get 1 first level spell slot per short rest, which at the very least means 1d8+1 healing which is none too shabby. Most importantly you get Healing Light, which basically lets you cast healing word 2/day (more as you level up) even while you are raging. I'd argue this is better team support than spirit shield, but it is debatable.

At level 7 you've got one more healing word, and one more cure wounds/short rest. You also get 2 invocations! I'd highly recommend Eldritch Sight (cast detect magic constantly! Never be surprised!), and note that Misty Visions and Mask of Many Faces are HILARIOUS on a Barbarian. And Devil's sight can cure your human darkvision problem (but so can the light cantrip).

At level 8, choose pact of the blade, upgrade your spell slots to the 2nd level, and maybe swap out one of your invocations for Improved Pact Weapon (your glaive becomes a +1 weapon) to make up for the fact that the comparison barbarian is getting an ASI right now that you have to wait an extra level for it.

At level 9, ASI in strength. At level 10, 3rd level slots, and you've got a new invocation that you're spending on ELDRICH SMITE! A perfect use for those 3rd level spell slots! Whenever you crit, burn one to add 8d8 force damage. Eat your heart out brutal critical!

So let's do our comparison to the control barbarian. At level 10, you're both doing 80.5 damage before crits and rage, your accuracy is the same, and after crits and rage damage (assuming smite on crit) the barbarian is dealing 97 damage whereas you are dealing 105 damage. Not a massive difference right now, but look at all the amazing utility you've got from your healing, spell slots, and invocations! People who play barbarians know that they can struggle in the exploration and social pillars, but the Warbarian will not. Not only do they have the hitpoints (85) and damage resistance and healing to try all kinds of crazy things, but they've likely got mage hand and prestidigitation, and invisibility and fly! Never forget that the fact that you won't be using your slots in combat means that your spell selection is 100% fun first.

Levels 11-15

Back to the simple life! You're taking four levels of champion fighter and one more level of Warlock.

At level 10, take the defence fighting style and enjoy your second wind. At level 11, action surge! Who doesn't love having it? But it won't factor into my damage calculations. At level 12, double your crit range! You now have a 70% chance to crit in a round (assuming reckless on all but the reaction attack) and get one of those amazing 8d8 smites off. At level 14, ASI for 20 STR, only 2 levels behind the control barbarian! At level fifteen you basically take a breather and get nothing of real note (add 1 damage whenever you hit someone with sacred flame, AKA never).

So how have things changed? Your no-rage no-crit damage and accuracy are still on par with the control barbarian, and your rage and crit damage in a round has soared to 128! Much higher than the control barbarian's 103! Plus you've got action surge.

Levels 16-20

More levels of Warlock! Now that we've got that expanded crit range lets get ourselves 5th level short rest eldritch smites (12d8 on crit) and some more fun invocations.

At level 16, you get 4th level spells, slots, and smites, and another fun invocation. Now that you're a level 7 warlock I'd recommend Ghostly Gaze! Interesting utility that no one else likely has and very thematically appropriate. Also I'd remind you that you can switch out your Improved Pact Weapon invocation for something more fun whenever you take a warlock level, assuming you've got a magic glaive of some kind by now.

At level 17 free ASI! Maybe alert to make up for no feral instinct? Maybe tough to make up for lower hitpoints (although the healing kind of already makes that up) Maybe sentinel? Better late than never right?

At level 18, 5th level slots and smites! A bonus invocation! Invocations unlocked at 9th level warlock include the awesome Whispers of the Grave (speak with the dead at will), and the very cool Ascendant Step (levitate self-cast at will) and Otherworldly Leap (Jump self-cast at will is uniquely fun for a barbarian).

At level 19 the celestial patron grants you 11 THP every time you finish a short rest (not to bad!) At level 20 you get a 6th level mystic arcanum and more importantly a THIRD short rest spell slot!

Now lets compare to the control barbarian. While they're tied with the Warbarian in non-rage non-crit damage and accuracy at level 19, they pull ahead at level 20 because of that marvelous barbarian capstone. Whoopdie do. It is 92.5 for the control vs 84.5 for the Warbarian. But in rage+smite damage they are still behind by a fair bit. 117 for the control compared to 134 for the Warbarian. Still not a huge difference. But look what the Warbarian has! They've got all the utility of 5 Warlock Invocations and 3 5th level spell slots per short rest, and they still hit like a truck four times per round with that glaive, and they can basically cast Healing Word at will (11 times per day).

Conclusions

The Warbarian matches or out-preforms the mono-classed PAM/GWM barbarian in almost every combat metric at almost every level. But where the Warbarian really crushes it is in the fun department. You've got the hitpoints to fly into dangerous situations with an insane plan and come out on top, and the invocations and spells multiply the number of plans that are "so crazy they just might work" which a Barbarian can actually execute. And your class features that aren't about hitting like a truck are all about protecting and healing your allies, making you a good team player as well.

Thoughts? Comments? Questions?

Damon_Tor
2019-04-01, 03:42 PM
I guess I'm not sure what the purpose is of the Barbarian levels. Wouldn't you be better off replacing basically every Barbarian level with a level of Paladin? You'd have armor worth a damn, best saves in the game and condition immunities, no concentration-breaking dis-synergy, more healing, less MAD.

I like the story, but even on a fluff level a paladin would be a better fit IMO.

Chronos
2019-04-01, 06:43 PM
Barbarian gives you the ability to give yourself advantage on all of your attacks, all of the time. Advantage stacks nicely with crit-fishing.

CTurbo
2019-04-01, 07:17 PM
I like it! I agree it's superior to a regular Barbarian in most ways. Although it's not explicitly required, I could see this being even more fun with some high rolled stats. You could trade 1 level of Fighter for an extra level of Warlock and grab Lifedrinker as your capstone. Thematically, Zealot Barb works well too.

Damon_Tor
2019-04-01, 09:09 PM
Barbarian gives you the ability to give yourself advantage on all of your attacks, all of the time. Advantage stacks nicely with crit-fishing.

So does the extra attack that comes from Haste though, and the Vengeance Paladin can supply that to himself, while also giving himself advantage against a target (on all attacks, including opportunity attacks) without also giving enemies advantage on him. And when he lands a crit he can smite twice, once with his paladin smite, and again with his warlock smite.

And of course he also has Hold Person. Which is to crit fishing what dynamite is to regular fishing.

Doccit
2019-04-01, 09:12 PM

Yes that is right! It is also the case that Ancestral Guardians combos uniquely well with the PAM/GWM build I've set up for the first five levels. When you're raging, and you hit an enemy, that enemy has disadvantage on attack rolls against anyone but you, and deals half damage to anyone but you. When you attack them with a glaive and back up, they're put in a kind of no-win situation.

Alucard89
2019-04-02, 08:09 AM
I like this build. It's like some sort of War Shaman build.

I agree that Paladin would be better (but where he is not...), but the point is to utilize Guardian support abilities.

I really like this concept, though I would give up Champion and take Hexblade instead. You can expand crit range to 19-20 using Curse when you really need it (boss) and you get better spell progression, better Smites, more slots and you even get Level 14 the Hex master so you can apply Curse to next target, making Champ not really needed. And Curse is not a spell, nor it needs conc so you can use it while raging no problem.

You also get Mystic Arcanum (8th) by skipping Fighter.

So I would go Ancestral Guardian 5/15 Hexblade.

Hex Warrior goes to waste a little but that really doesn't matter much as much as Hexblade is loaded enough without Hex Warrior feature.

Another good Warlock would be the Fiend. Very Thematic and you can combo his 14th future with your Smite in one attack for big nova.

EDIT: I Meant Fiend Warlock, not Great Old One.

Doccit
2019-04-02, 08:31 AM
Very interesting ideas! I agree that hexblade is also very viable here. I don't understand your point about the 14th level great old one feature however. How does create thrall improve my smites?

Alucard89
2019-04-02, 09:32 AM
Very interesting ideas! I agree that hexblade is also very viable here. I don't understand your point about the 14th level great old one feature however. How does create thrall improve my smites?

Sorry, my mistake. I meant Fiend Warlock. You can add to your normal attack Hurl Through Hell for extra 10d10 force damage unless target is fiend.

Bloodcloud
2019-04-02, 10:18 AM
Armor of Aghatys would fit SO well on this, and combos so great with rage/reckless attack. Sure, hit me!

The undying patron might be worth considering too.

Fiend warlock/bearbarian has the advantage of covering that one last resistance, and thp on kill is great. Just another thing to keep in mind.

Paladin is indeed also good, but is less personnally resilient, the advantage is not as consitent, and hexblade's extra crit is also less consitent. Both the vengeance pally and hexblade's crit-enhancement require a bonus action, so as a crit fishing build it kinda sucks.

Mitsu
2019-04-02, 11:26 AM
Armor of Aghatys would fit SO well on this, and combos so great with rage/reckless attack. Sure, hit me!

The undying patron might be worth considering too.

Fiend warlock/bearbarian has the advantage of covering that one last resistance, and thp on kill is great. Just another thing to keep in mind.

Paladin is indeed also good, but is less personnally resilient, the advantage is not as consitent, and hexblade's extra crit is also less consitent. Both the vengeance pally and hexblade's crit-enhancement require a bonus action, so as a crit fishing build it kinda sucks.

Yeah, I think Bear/Fiend would be best selfish. You could even go 3/17 with it. You can get extra attack from Thirsting Blade invocation anyway and you get much better spell progression, you get even 4x slots at 20 and Foresight as Mystic Arcanum, making you ultimate meat grinder.

At level 17 you could crit for (assuming Glaive and Curse on target) 2d10 + 23 + 12d8 + 10d10 = 143 dmg. Solid. Your normal crit without Hurl Through Hell would be 2d10 + 23 + 12d8, for total of 88 dmg. Which is also solid and you can do it 4 times per short rest on level 20, 2-3 per short rest most of your career.

If we were a Half-Orc and take Orcish Fury we could bump that crit to 6d10 + 23 + 12d8 + 10d10 = 165 dmg. Orcish Fury would go nice with Hurl Throught Hell as both regen on short rest and are only once per short rest.

But with Reckless Attacks + Hex Master I would probably just go GWM and give up on PAM.

I would start with Hexblade as we won't keep any concentration spells because of rage so proficiency in WIS will serve us better. So 4 Hexblade -> Orcish Fury. 3 Bear Totem Barbarian. 4 Hexblade - GWM. Build is online on level 11. Level 15 + 2 STR but you can also find giant belt on this point.

If skipping Orcish Fury than same progression but GMW and PAM maybe or just +2 STR.

GlenSmash!
2019-04-02, 12:28 PM
Barbarian/Warlock gain a lot out of temp HP as it's made doubly good by Rage. Armor of Agathys and Fiend THP are both good sources.

Waazraath
2019-04-02, 01:51 PM
The Warbaraian!

Thoughts? Comments? Questions?

First: very nice! I like your format and the way you present your build. I have some comments and questions, after that some thoughts.

The plan is to get within 10ft of the enemy, double-attack, and then back up so they're just beyond the point of your glaive.

1) Should I interpret this as in: you move up to an opponent, hit a few times, and retreat?

2) If so, am I right to assume you consider the bonus action attack with the blunt end to have a 10 ft reach as well? Just curious, RAW it does, but I don't think I know any DM who would let that fly. It more or less assumes you're holding the sharp end in your hands...

3) how does this work with opponents with 10 ft reach (or more)? Moving, hitting and moving out of reach would provoke an AoO, wouldn't it?

4) I understand the comparison with a PAM using ancestral guardian barbarian for comparisons sake, but assuming moderate optimization, will this combination every be played? After all, Ancestral guardian is exactly that barbarian subclass that has a very reliable use of its reaction, from level 6 onward, in every combat in which rage is used (4/day at that point). Also, any GWM barbarian has reasonable reliable useage of bonus actions as well: first round: activate rage, and after that in every round where he crits (with reckless attack quite often, even with only 2 attacks) or downs an opponent (also happening often enough with GWM / rage / reckless attack). A better benchmark would imo be a greataxe wielding barbarian, skipping PAM, and using ASI's for other abilities.

5) For comparison's sake, I think it's good to mention all the things Warbarian looses out on, compared with his full class brother. At level 20, that's:
-20 hp due to lower starting con
-25 hp due to warlock/fighter hd instead of the mighty barbarian d12
(don't forget: with rage, these often count double)
- a number of rages (at level 6, the full class bbn already has one more per day, at level 20 he can rage as often as he wants)
- minor rage damage (+4 at the higher levels compared to +2)
- advantage on initiative / possibility to negate suprise
- brutal criticals (but you mentioned those)
- Relentless rage (don't drop when losing last hp)
- Rage doesn't end prematurely
- bonus on str checks
- +4 con and str (capstone)
- reaction to prevent 2d6/3d6/4d6 damage every round of combat when raging
- augury / clairvoiance 1/day
- 4d6 damage when preventing 4d6 damage every round of combat when raging
(And that's not counting that an ASI probably shouldn't have been spend on PAM imo)

6) your main feature is: rage, move in, hit a few times, move back. Opponent as 2 bad choices, attack with disadv and against resistance, or eat two AoA's. That's great (seriously). But this only works during rage. So this never works more than 3 times / day, where most adventuring days consist of more combat encounters. And there is the possiblities that you loose a rage, or are up against opponents with spells or ranged attacks, which makes this tactic less reliable (right? or am I missing something there).

7) spell slots are an issue for the warlock. Especially up til level 11 (3 per rest), your build has warlock level 11 only at level 20. If you start Eldritch Smiting with them you'll do very impressive nova damage, especially combined with action surge, reckless attack, GWM... but you'll also go through them quite quickly, unless you really save them up until you crit.

8) Healing light competes with your bonus action (as does second wind). Further, I'm not convinced that these compensate for the loss of full class barbarian's defenses: more rages and more hp. At very high levels, celestial resilience will compensate. And Armor of Agathys might as well, but then we're back at the point where you don't have that many slots to play with.

To conclude: without a doubt, your warbarian is much stronger and has much more options out of combat. Probably (but this I guess) your mystic arcanum's will be spend there as well (you can't concentrate while raging and have a relative low save DC), so that becomes even more impressive. Also, I think that in most fights where the wabarian spends rescources, he is the stronger one (especial Rage, but also smite, action surge nova's). In a boss fight, your really want this guy around.

But: your allies do miss out on the useful and powerful spirit shield ability, later augmented with vengeful ancestors. Especially in a dungeon crawl, with fewer social encounters and with many combats, I'm not sure if I wouln't rather have a full Ancestral Guardian barbarian in the party. But ymmv, this is also very dependent on the composition of the rest of the party (like: is there somebody else to cover the social role).

Bloodcloud
2019-04-02, 03:03 PM
7) spell slots are an issue for the warlock. Especially up til level 11 (3 per rest), your build has warlock level 11 only at level 20. If you start Eldritch Smiting with them you'll do very impressive nova damage, especially combined with action surge, reckless attack, GWM... but you'll also go through them quite quickly, unless you really save them up until you crit.

Yeah, thinking about it, if he's crit-fishing he might actually want to go for greatweapon master and capitalize on that extra attack on crit, because the super-smite won't come often. It also ups the crit damage compared to the lower spear damage.

Mitsu
2019-04-02, 04:22 PM
Yeah, thinking about it, if he's crit-fishing he might actually want to go for greatweapon master and capitalize on that extra attack on crit, because the super-smite won't come often. It also ups the crit damage compared to the lower spear damage.

However it's worth to mention that he can only "lock down" one target with his subclass feature. So he is good for bosses, but not that good vs hordes or enemies groups.

I think the Skald approach would be really great both mechanical and thematic.

So overall the build would look like Ancestral Guardian 5/Crown Oath Paladin 3/Lore Bard 12.

We have single target lockdown/protection, multi-target aggro, we have smites, more slots, we will have Magic Secrets at level 14 and 18.

Doccit
2019-04-02, 06:29 PM
2) If so, am I right to assume you consider the bonus action attack with the blunt end to have a 10 ft reach as well? Yup! The idea is to leave a space between you and your enemy, and attack with the bonus action attack from there. I had never really thought about how odd it is that the PAM bonus attack works that far away! Hopefully when I try this my DM isn't so skeptical. I'd be happy to take 1 slashing damage form holding the blade every time I tried it. xD

3) how does this work with opponents with 10 ft reach (or more)? Moving, hitting and moving out of reach would provoke an AoO, wouldn't it? That would be a weakness. Backing up against them would be foolish. Against creatures with reach, you somewhat less effective, and probably will want to rage because you can expect to get hit a lot.

4) I understand the comparison with a PAM using ancestral guardian barbarian for comparisons sake, but assuming moderate optimization, will this combination every be played?[...] A better benchmark would imo be a greataxe wielding barbarian, skipping PAM, and using ASI's for other abilities.Yes that would make a better comparison. However there aren't many other game-changing feats for the barbarian as far as I can tell. The best ones are likely Alert, Luckey, and maybe Sentinel, but none of them dramatically improve the barbarian. Do you have another feat in mind?

5) For comparison's sake, I think it's good to mention all the things Warbarian looses out on, compared with his full class brother. At level 20, that's:
-20 hp due to lower starting con
-25 hp due to warlock/fighter hd instead of the mighty barbarian d12
(don't forget: with rage, these often count double)
- a number of rages (at level 6, the full class bbn already has one more per day, at level 20 he can rage as often as he wants)
- minor rage damage (+4 at the higher levels compared to +2)
- advantage on initiative / possibility to negate suprise
- brutal criticals (but you mentioned those)
- Relentless rage (don't drop when losing last hp)
- Rage doesn't end prematurely
- bonus on str checks
- +4 con and str (capstone)
- reaction to prevent 2d6/3d6/4d6 damage every round of combat when raging
- augury / clairvoiance 1/day
- 4d6 damage when preventing 4d6 damage every round of combat when raging
(And that's not counting that an ASI probably shouldn't have been spend on PAM imo) All true. I do mention the capstone, spirit shield, and feral instinct briefly. Also they actually get augury / clairvoiance 1/short rest! I quite like that feature to be perfectly honest, but I don't think it is worth going so far into Barbarian.

6) your main feature is: rage, move in, hit a few times, move back. Opponent as 2 bad choices, attack with disadv and against resistance, or eat two AoA's. That's great (seriously). But this only works during rage. So this never works more than 3 times / day, where most adventuring days consist of more combat encounters. And there is the possiblities that you loose a rage, or are up against opponents with spells or ranged attacks, which makes this tactic less reliable (right? or am I missing something there). Broadly you're right, but if they've got ranged attacks the tactic is still useful, because with an adjacent enemy you make ranged attacks at disadvantage.

On the whole the tactic is powerful when it works, but it fails to apply in several different types of situations. I think I would really have to play this to figure out how often I wanted to use it but couldn't (because I have run out of rage) or how often its use is mitigated by other factors in combat. Your millage will definitely vary by table.

7) spell slots are an issue for the warlock. Especially up til level 11 (3 per rest), your build has warlock level 11 only at level 20. If you start Eldritch Smiting with them you'll do very impressive nova damage, especially combined with action surge, reckless attack, GWM... but you'll also go through them quite quickly, unless you really save them up until you crit. Yeah I don't think it is worth smiting unless you crit against an enemy with a lot of hitpoints, and powerful though it may be I don't see that happening more than once in a combat. My tactic would be to spend one spell slot before combat on Armour of Agathys (or on something non-combat related), and save one spell slot for the smite. Then if I don't end up using it, I can always burn it on cure wounds afterwards.

8) Healing light competes with your bonus action (as does second wind). Further, I'm not convinced that these compensate for the loss of full class barbarian's defenses: more rages and more hp. Healing light will always be better than an extra attack when one of your allies is down, and never when they aren't. So while it does compete, it only does so some of the time. It isn't as though if you didn't have PAM you'd be using healing light every round.

In terms of the HP comparison, you're right that it is tough to compare. One thing that I like to keep in mind is that the healing from Celestial Warlock is more likely to get used than healing from other classes because it returns on short rests. If your party is about to short rest, you can dump all of your unused slots on it.

In a fight where you don't have a good opportunity to smite, where you cast armour of agathys before combat and cure wounds on yourself afterwards, that is 25 temp HP and 23.5 average healing. Also unlike the Barbarian's 55 extra max hitpoints, these 58.5 HP can potentially return to you on short rest. If we've got only one short rest per day, and you use only 1/2 of your slots bolstering your HP, you're even with the normal Barb. But again it difficult to compare the survivability of these builds and this analysis doesn't account for the fact that the normal Barb will be raging more often.

To conclude: Fair enough! Maybe it was a bit hasty to declare that this beats or matches a normal ancestral guardians barbarian at everything combat related. The main difference between the two of them is that the Warbarian has radically more utility, and I value that highly in characters.

Thanks for taking the time! These questions were very clarifying.

Waazraath
2019-04-04, 02:59 AM
Yes that would make a better comparison. However there aren't many other game-changing feats for the barbarian as far as I can tell. The best ones are likely Alert, Luckey, and maybe Sentinel, but none of them dramatically improve the barbarian. Do you have another feat in mind?

Only resilience (wis). Or a utility feat, like ritual caster.

Broadly you're right, but if they've got ranged attacks the tactic is still useful, because with an adjacent enemy you make ranged attacks at disadvantage.

You're correct, hadn't thought about that!

Yeah I don't think it is worth smiting unless you crit against an enemy with a lot of hitpoints, and powerful though it may be I don't see that happening more than once in a combat. My tactic would be to spend one spell slot before combat on Armour of Agathys (or on something non-combat related), and save one spell slot for the smite. Then if I don't end up using it, I can always burn it on cure wounds afterwards.

Ah, yes, played like this, this would compensate for the lower hp and would generally be superior against brutal critical, I agree.

Healing light will always be better than an extra attack when one of your allies is down, and never when they aren't. So while it does compete, it only does so some of the time. It isn't as though if you didn't have PAM you'd be using healing light every round.

True.

Thanks for taking the time! These questions were very clarifying.

You're welcome, enjoy the build (I'm pretty sure you will).