PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Psychic Warrior: 1/3 Psionics Subclass (PEACH)

sandmote
2019-04-01, 02:38 PM
This page on the Homebrewery (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/S1XgE1xKN)

This fighter subclass is based on the AU Mystic class (https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAMystic3.pdf) and my own Psionic Disciplines Overhaul (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?584600-Mystic-Psionics-Disciplines-Rebalance-(PEACH)).

Psychic Warrior Psionics

Level
Talents Known
Disciplines Known
Psi Points
Psi Limit

3rd

4th

5th

6th

7th

8th

9th

10th

11th

12th

13th

14th

15th

16th

17th

18th

19th

20th

Psionics
When you reach 3rd level, you augment your martial prowess with the ability to use powers.

Psionic Talents
You learn 2 psionic talents of your choice. You learn an additional psionic talent of your choice at 10th level.

Psionic Disciplines
At 3rd level, you know one psionic discipline focus of your choice, which you must choose from the immortal or nomad disciplines. The Disciplines Known column of the Psychic Warrior Spellcasting table shows when you learn more disciplines. Each of these disciplines must be an immortal or nomad disciplines of your choice.

Psionic Disciplines
At 3rd level, you know one psionic discipline of your choice. The Disciplines Known column of the Psychic Warrior Psionics table shows when you learn more disciplines. In addition, whenever you gain a level in this class, you can replace one discipline you know with a different one of your choice.

Each discipline you learn as part of this subclass must be an Immortal or Nomad discipline.

Psi Points
The Psychic Warrior Psionics table shows how many psi points you have to manifest your powers. To manifest a power, you must spend a number of psi points equal to the cost of the power and no higher than your remaining psi points and psi limit. You regain all expended psi points when you finish a long rest.

Psychic Focus
You can focus psionic energy on one of your psionic disciplines to draw ongoing benefits from it. As a bonus action, you can choose one of your psionic disciplines and gain its psychic focus benefit, which is detailed in that discipline’s description. The benefit lasts until you are incapacitated or until you use another bonus action to choose a different focus benefit. You can have only one psychic focus benefit at a time, and using the psychic focus of one discipline doesn’t limit your ability to use other disciplines.

Psionic Ability
Wisdom is your psionic ability for your psionic disciplines. You use your Wisdom modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a psionic discipline or when making an attack roll with one.

Discipline Save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Wisdom modifier

Discipline Attack Modifier = your proficiency bonus + your Wisdom modifier

Wisdom instead of Int, both matching the 3.5e psychic warrior and making it slightly less useful to multiclass between fighter and mystic.

Distant Aid Grant Sense
Starting at 3rd level, you gain proficiency with two of the following skills of your choice: Acrobatics, Animal Handling, Insight, Investigation, Medicine, or Slight of Hand. You gain proficiency with a third skill from this list at 18th level.

When an ally within 10 feet of you makes a skill check using one of your chosen skills as an action, you can use your reaction to grant them advantage on the check. At 18th level the range of this ability increases to 30 feet.

Force of Will
At 7th level, you learn to interfere with effects on your mind. You gain proficiency with Wisdom saving throws.

Additionally, when you make a Charisma or Intelligence saving throw, you can replace your Charisma or Intelligence modifier with your Wisdom modifier.
Whenever you make an Intelligence (Investigation) check, you gain a bonus to the check equal to your Wisdom modifier.

I'm not very sure about the way this bonus works, as it incentives low int and cha. However, I don't want to simply grant proficiency with all three saving throws, because I think that takes some away from the monk.

Pschic Strike
From 10th level, you can channel your psionic focus into your weapon as a bonus action. When you do so you lose the benefits of a single psychic focus, have advantage on your next weapon attack, and deal an additional 2d8 psychic damage the next time you hit a creature before the start of your next turn. You cannot use this ability if you do not have an active psionic focus.

At 18th level, the damage from this ability increases to 4d8.

Twin Mind
At 15th level, your mind can maintain focus on two seperate subjects at once, allowing you to have two psychic focus benefits at a time. This does not change the time it takes you to select a focus.

Extra Damage that costs a different resource than psi points, followed by a feature that makes it easier to use benefits you already possess.

Crisis21
2019-04-01, 11:43 PM
Not sure about the features as I'm not that well versed on psionics, but I do admit the level progression is very nicely handled when compared to 'full caster'.

sandmote
2019-04-02, 12:08 AM
Not sure about the features as I'm not that well versed on psionics, but I do admit the level progression is very nicely handled when compared to 'full caster'.

Well, thank you for responding. Although I can't take credit for the level progression: I took the manifester progression from the AU class and slapped it into the existing 1/3 caster progression.

Any comments on Grant Sense or Force of Will? Neither one uses the psionics system I'm ripping off/reworking.

Crisis21
2019-04-02, 09:51 AM
I'm not exactly sure what you're attempting to accomplish with Grant Sense as most of those proficiencies have little to do with senses in my understanding.

The 'use the help action at range' feature looks cool though.

Force of Will, I'd drop the 'substitute WIS for INT and CHA saves'. Just getting an extra major saving throw is good enough of a feature, especially at 7th level. For contrast, Rogues get this at 15th level.

sandmote
2019-04-02, 03:00 PM
I'm not exactly sure what you're attempting to accomplish with Grant Sense as most of those proficiencies have little to do with senses in my understanding.

The 'use the help action at range' feature looks cool though.
I'm terrible at naming. The idea is that the character is using psionic powers (but not the psionics system) to "tell" another character how to do that thing. Maybe I should change the name to "Grant Knowledge," or "Mental Aid," or something?

Force of Will, I'd drop the 'substitute WIS for INT and CHA saves'. Just getting an extra major saving throw is good enough of a feature, especially at 7th level. For contrast, Rogues get this at 15th level.

I'll go ahead and do that, although the Samurai subclass gets the same bonus as well as being able to add their wisdom modifier to persuasion checks. At the same level too.

Crisis21
2019-04-02, 06:51 PM
I'm terrible at naming. The idea is that the character is using psionic powers (but not the psionics system) to "tell" another character how to do that thing. Maybe I should change the name to "Grant Knowledge," or "Mental Aid," or something?

*looks up telekinesis* Okay, origin is Greek. 'tele' means 'distant' and 'kinesis' is from the Greek word 'kinisi' meaning 'movement'. Greek for 'assistance' is 'voítheia', so... Televoitheis?

I'll go ahead and do that, although the Samurai subclass gets the same bonus as well as being able to add their wisdom modifier to persuasion checks. At the same level too.

Hmm... How about adding 'you may use your Intelligence modifier instead of your Wisdom modifier when making Wisdom saving throws'? Nevermind. I thought the psionic ability for this archetype was Intelligence instead of Wisdom.

Hmm... Maybe grant proficiency in Insight (Expertise if already proficient)?

Blackbando
2019-04-03, 11:05 AM
There's not an 18th level feature. Not sure if that's intentional or not, but, since for some reason called bloody battlemaster a good amount of people making homebrew fighter archetypes don't seem to know that fighter subclasses get an 18th level feature.

Also, regarding giving Expertise in Insight if already proficient; that's not really very great design, as it punishes a character for not having the "correct" proficiencies - expertise in one skill is worth more than proficiency in two skills, maybe even proficiency in three skills. It'd be much better to either give blanket expertise, situational expertise (like Stonecunning on dwarf), or just the classic "if already prof, get prof in another skill".

sandmote
2019-04-03, 06:39 PM
*looks up telekinesis* Okay, origin is Greek. 'tele' means 'distant' and 'kinesis' is from the Greek word 'kinisi' meaning 'movement'. Greek for 'assistance' is 'voítheia', so... Televoitheis?
Yeah, I'm not using Greek when English will do. I like pointing out the ability works over a larger distance, So I think "Distant Aid," sounds okay.

Hmm... How about adding 'you may use your Intelligence modifier instead of your Wisdom modifier when making Wisdom saving throws'? Nevermind. I thought the psionic ability for this archetype was Intelligence instead of Wisdom.

Hmm... Maybe grant proficiency in Insight (Expertise if already proficient)?
You've described what I had initially, which makes me feel a lot better about my failure to come up with anything I find satisfying.

However, you can already get proficiency in Insight from Grant Sense/Distant Aid/Current Name. guess either that of applying the Samurai's bonus to a different skill. Investigation maybe?

There's not an 18th level feature. Not sure if that's intentional or not, but, since for some reason called bloody battlemaster a good amount of people making homebrew fighter archetypes don't seem to know that fighter subclasses get an 18th level feature.
Existing features get a bonus at 18th level instead, the same way they do for the Arcane Archer, Purple Dragon Knight/Banneret, Battle Master, and the subclasses that rip off superiority dice.

But thanks for keeping an eye out for issues.

Also, regarding giving Expertise in Insight if already proficient; that's not really very great design, as it punishes a character for not having the "correct" proficiencies - expertise in one skill is worth more than proficiency in two skills, maybe even proficiency in three skills. It'd be much better to either give blanket expertise, situational expertise (like Stonecunning on dwarf), or just the classic "if already prof, get prof in another skill".
Unless you've come up with a new argument on this subject recently, I still prefer letting PCs get proficiency now and bumping it up to expertise if they choose to get "proficiency" in that skill from another source later.

Crisis21
2019-04-03, 07:09 PM
Yeah, I'm not using Greek when English will do. I like pointing out the ability works over a larger distance, So I think "Distant Aid," sounds okay.

Eh, 'telekinesis' is an English word that is portmanteau of 'borrowed' Greek to begin with. Same with 'telephone', 'telepath', etc. Although I'll admit to just wanting to invent a new word, so... :smalltongue:

You've described what I had initially, which makes me feel a lot better about my failure to come up with anything I find satisfying.

However, you can already get proficiency in Insight from Grant Sense/Distant Aid/Current Name. guess either that of applying the Samurai's bonus to a different skill. Investigation maybe?

Investigation is a very nice skill that gets overlooked a bit too much in my opinion.

Unless you've come up with a new argument on this subject recently, I still prefer letting PCs get proficiency now and bumping it up to expertise if they choose to get "proficiency" in that skill from another source later.

That's my general attitude towards it as well. After all, there's nothing quite so off-putting to a player as gaining a redundant feature. Especially if you're allowing Feats. I won't let it stack beyond Expertise though, no matter the reason. I also won't let them deliberately choose to upgrade a Skill to Expertise if the feature has other options they lack Proficiency in.

This factors in to how I allow players to choose starting abilities. They pick their Race first, then their Background, and finally their Class. They can't use the base class proficiency options to 'double-up' on a Background or Race proficiency. If there is somehow no other option (for example: Thieves' Tools if they picked the Criminal Background and Rogue base class) I will invent one that makes sense (such as allowing the 'Criminal Rogue' to pick up an extra Gaming Set or Poisoner's Kit proficiency or something).

sandmote
2019-04-03, 07:20 PM
Eh, 'telekinesis' is an English word that is portmanteau of 'borrowed' Greek to begin with. Same with 'telephone', 'telepath', etc. Although I'll admit to just wanting to invent a new word, so... :smalltongue:

Investigation is a very nice skill that gets overlooked a bit too much in my opinion.
Giving that bonus to Investigation then.

Also, my primary concern is whether the name is something easy to remember. "Tele-" wasn't the issue there.

That's my general attitude towards it as well. After all, there's nothing quite so off-putting to a player as gaining a redundant feature. Especially if you're allowing Feats. I won't let it stack beyond Expertise though, no matter the reason. I also won't let them deliberately choose to upgrade a Skill to Expertise if the feature has other options they lack Proficiency in.

This factors in to how I allow players to choose starting abilities. They pick their Race first, then their Background, and finally their Class. They can't use the base class proficiency options to 'double-up' on a Background or Race proficiency. If there is somehow no other option (for example: Thieves' Tools if they picked the Criminal Background and Rogue base class) I will invent one that makes sense (such as allowing the 'Criminal Rogue' to pick up an extra Gaming Set or Poisoner's Kit proficiency or something).
For me, the point is letting them deliberately choose to upgrade to expertise, so they aren't punished for getting the feature giving expertise for having proficiency before the feature giving regular proficiency in that skill. But whatever your table is comfortable with.

Crisis21
2019-04-03, 07:26 PM
Giving that bonus to Investigation then.

For me, the point is letting them deliberately choose to upgrade to expertise, so they aren't punished for getting the feature giving expertise for having proficiency before the feature giving regular proficiency in that skill. But whatever your table is comfortable with.

Race, Background, and Base Class 1st level are all things that grant base proficiency (before getting into main class features). There should be no reason that a player would have anything that would grant them Expertise if they had chosen it second at this point.

sandmote
2019-04-03, 09:13 PM
Race, Background, and Base Class 1st level are all things that grant base proficiency (before getting into main class features). There should be no reason that a player would have anything that would grant them Expertise if they had chosen it second at this point.
Okay, sorry, we seem to have been talking about different things.

I was referring to when a character doesn't have proficiency in a skill when they get a feature that would give expertise if they already had proficiency. When that happens, I'll let them get expertise instead if they could get proficiency in the same skill from another feature later (even if the later feature doesn't normally let them get expertise).

So a PC playing as a Psychic Warrior can get proficiency in insight from the subclass before taking the Empathic feat, and get expertise in insight. But if they take the Empathic feat first, they can still choose insight from the subclass and end up with Expertise (because the feat grants the opportunity for expertise). If they have proficiency from a feature that can't grant expertise, and they can get it again from another feature, that does't qualify (even if they already have proficiency with all the skills the new feature lets them choose from).

When they're building a character to start with, I just let them grab proficiency with any skill if their race, background, and class skills already include all the class skills for their class (and I've let them modify their background the way the book describes).

Crisis21
2019-04-03, 09:21 PM
Okay, sorry, we seem to have been talking about different things.

I was referring to when a character doesn't have proficiency in a skill when they get a feature that would give expertise if they already had proficiency. When that happens, I'll let them get expertise instead if they could get proficiency in the same skill from another feature later (even if the later feature doesn't normally let them get expertise).

So a PC playing as a Psychic Warrior can get proficiency in insight from the subclass before taking the Empathic feat, and get expertise in insight. But if they take the Empathic feat first, they can still choose insight from the subclass and end up with Expertise (because the feat grants the opportunity for expertise). If they have proficiency from a feature that can't grant expertise, and they can get it again from another feature, that does't qualify (even if they already have proficiency with all the skills the new feature lets them choose from).

When they're building a character to start with, I just let them grab proficiency with any skill if their race, background, and class skills already include all the class skills for their class (and I've let them modify their background the way the book describes).

Oh, yeah. That sounds fully reasonable.

Edit: Honestly, I feel that features that grant Proficiency in new Skills/Tools at higher levels (pretty much anything above 4th level in a class, really) should give the option of getting Expertise if you already have it. You shouldn't penalize a player for wanting to get Proficiency earlier by denying them an upgrade that was always intended for their class/archetype.

Edit 2: Backgrounds are the literal easiest thing in the game to homebrew/modify. 2 Skills; either 2 Tools, 2 Languages, or 1 of each; some thematically appropriate equipment (and personality traits), and a fluff feature. That's it. As long as you follow those guidelines, balancing is a non-issue. I could probably modify the Criminal background into an Outlaw background super-easily by swapping out one of its Skill proficiencies for Survival, or the Sailor background into a Pirate one by re-tooling the fluff and personality traits.

sandmote
2019-04-04, 05:36 PM
Oh, yeah. That sounds fully reasonable.

Edit: Honestly, I feel that features that grant Proficiency in new Skills/Tools at higher levels (pretty much anything above 4th level in a class, really) should give the option of getting Expertise if you already have it. You shouldn't penalize a player for wanting to get Proficiency earlier by denying them an upgrade that was always intended for their class/archetype.

Edit 2: Backgrounds are the literal easiest thing in the game to homebrew/modify. 2 Skills; either 2 Tools, 2 Languages, or 1 of each; some thematically appropriate equipment (and personality traits), and a fluff feature. That's it. As long as you follow those guidelines, balancing is a non-issue. I could probably modify the Criminal background into an Outlaw background super-easily by swapping out one of its Skill proficiencies for Survival, or the Sailor background into a Pirate one by re-tooling the fluff and personality traits.

I feel like we've gotten completely off the original topic for the tread. Somewhere in the books it specifically says you can swap out one background skill for another skill or swap out one background language/tool for a different language/tool. So what you're describing in your second edit is RAW.

Otherwise, if you want to discuss homebrewing expertise further, I'm now requesting you move it to a thread on that topic. I'm sure Blackbando has a live thread on this forum on that exact subject at all times. I'd just like to keep space open for discussion on the Psionic Warrior.

Edit: I want to point out, I have no authority to make you stop talking about this, I just know that if I don't stop myself we'll have several pages worth of discussion on this subject that is pretty much unrelated to the original purpose of the thread.

If anyone wants to know more about psionics to comment on their use with this subclass, I have added an explanation of how psionics function (including multclassing) to my Psionics Overhaul (found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?584600-Mystic-Psionics-Disciplines-Rebalance-(PEACH))).

Notes on Psychic Strike:

I'm worried about this ability needing a bonus action to use. Would it still be overpowered if it worked like divine strike (consuming psychic focus instead of spell slots)? I could reduce the damage at 18th level to keep it from being broken, but I don't like taking up the bonus action just to access the damage.