PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Multiclassin Elven Accuracy Samurai- what are best options?

Alucard89
2019-04-01, 05:13 PM
As title says. Obviously going straight to level 11 is mandatory as Samurai archer is beast after level 11 with Elven Accuracy. But I am thinking what I could do after that. Any ideas? Or should I stay pure?

Mitsu
2019-04-01, 05:24 PM
Pure Samurai is definitely super strong with Elven Accuracy, however I think the best multiclass is giving him another way of gaining advantage to save his Fighting Spirit from being used in first turn.

For that I think that Gloom Stalker 3 levels is one of best approaches. ESPECIALLY if you can use revised Ranger. Reasons to dip Gloom Stalker:

1. Wisdom bonus to initiative. As Samurai you want to have high Wisdom as you get free proficiency in it and it's worst save for warrior-type characters.
2. Permanent invisibility and advantage in darkness vs enemies using darkvision thanks to Umbral Sight. Think about it: how many times you can find a dark corner/spot inside dungeons/caves/undergrounds/underdark/tombs etc. How many times you can fight in the night? Every enemy that doesn't have darkvision can't see you. Any enemy that uses darkvision can't see you too. That means always attacking with advantage from the darkness.
3. Improved Darkvision. Extra 30ft of Darkvisio is great, since you are elf. 90Ft total darkvision goes long way for range character.
4. Extra attacks during first turn + Hunter's Mark. Great as you can use your Elven Accuracy + Action Surge + Dread Ambusher to deliver total of 8 attacks in first turn. 9 with Rapid Strikes later. Also they will deal extra 1d8 damage which is always nice.
5. If you are using Revised Ranger- you have advantage on initiative roll and advantage on attacks vs enemies that didn't take their turn yet. That means that with 20 DEX, 16 WIS and Gloom Stalker you have: +8 to initiative with advantage. It's very hard for you to not start first. Add to that Alert feat for +5 initiative and you have total of +13 bonus with advantage.

This way you have three ways of getting advantage to abuse your Elven Accuracy:
1. Fighting Spirit
2. Attacking from Darkness and being invisible in it
3. Attacking in first turn enemies that didn't have their turns yet.

Not counting ways of getting it from allies of for example high ground.

And if you use Revised Ranger you get also +2 damage to one type of enemies. I prefer humanoids or monstrosities.

So my preferable build would be 12 Samurai/3 Gloom Stalker/5 Samurai. You still get second Action Surge on level 20, you still get Rapid Strikes. Extra attack is not that big of a aloss with Gloom Stalker extra attacks from Dread Ambusher.

But of course just staying pure Samurai is also great.

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-01, 05:27 PM
Samurai with a single level into Hexblade gets you a LOT of benefits, including doubling your crit range. You're looking at jumping from a 14% chance to crit to 27%. You can also cast Hex or Shield as needed, which can really help you in a pinch.

Mitsu
2019-04-01, 05:33 PM
Samurai with a single level into Hexblade gets you a LOT of benefits, including doubling your crit range. You're looking at jumping from a 14% chance to crit to 27%. You can also cast Hex or Shield as needed, which can really help you in a pinch.

While I agree that this is good option, it's worth to mention that crits don't benefit him that much as the only dice he can multiple is d8. So 27% chance of getting 2d8 instead of 1d8 which is 4.5 dmg increase. More dmg is always more dmg but I think Gloom Stalker works better as he can attack with advantage in first turn or from darkness and instead of Curse- place Hunter's Mark on target giving him in first turn potentially extra 8d6 dmg + 2d8 dmg from Dread Ambusher.

Most of his dmg comes from Sharpshooter and Elven Accuracy for Samurai is more of making sure he hits than to crit fish on d8 dice.

But it's still a nice option. Dipping 3 levels into hexblade for Pact Longbow + SAD CHA + Devil's Sight Darkness combo is also good way though more action expensive. For that it would be best to be Half-Elf instead of Elf.

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-01, 05:40 PM
While I agree that this is good option, it's worth to mention that crits don't benefit him that much as the only dice he can multiple is d8. So 27% chance of getting 2d8 instead of 1d8 which is 4.5 dmg increase. More dmg is always more dmg but I think Gloom Stalker works better as he can attack with advantage in first turn or from darkness and instead of Curse- place Hunter's Mark on target giving him in first turn potentially extra 8d6 dmg + 2d8 dmg from Dread Ambusher.

Most of his dmg comes from Sharpshooter and Elven Accuracy for Samurai is more of making sure he hits than to crit fish on d8 dice.

But it's still a nice option. Dipping 3 levels into hexblade for Pact Longbow + SAD CHA + Devil's Sight Darkness combo is also good way though more action expensive. For that it would be best to be Half-Elf instead of Elf.

Half-Elves don't get Elven Accuracy. Additionally, the Hexblade's Curse also grants you +Proficiency per hit. I wouldn't recommend the Devil's Sight route, as you already have a reliable means of getting Advantage via Samurai.

Mitsu
2019-04-01, 05:47 PM
Half-Elves don't get Elven Accuracy. Additionally, the Hexblade's Curse also grants you +Proficiency per hit. I wouldn't recommend the Devil's Sight route, as you already have a reliable means of getting Advantage via Samurai.

Um... Half-Elf do get EA:

"Elven Accuracy

Prerequisite: Elf or Half-Elf

The accuracy of elves is legendary, especially that of elf archers and spellcasters. You have uncanny aim with attacks that rely on precision rather than brute force. You gain the following benefits:

Increase your Dexterity, Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
Whenever you have advantage on an attack roll using Dexterity, Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma, you can reroll one of the dice once."

Rukelnikov
2019-04-01, 05:52 PM

Helfs do get EA

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-01, 05:53 PM
Oh. Whoops, my bad. Been a while since I read it. I must be thinking of something else then...

LudicSavant
2019-04-01, 06:28 PM
"Staying pure" is definitely not a bad choice for Samurai.

Alucard89
2019-04-02, 08:29 AM
Thank you for answers!

@Mitsu - I really like idea of Gloom Stalke with Alert feat! Seems to work well with Samurai Wisdom bonuses and to allow him for more EA abusing.

Also I was thinking about grabbing Crossbow Master later or instead of Alert and grab Heavy Crossbow for 1d10 dice instead of 1d8. Hand Crossbow doesn't work well due to Fighting Spirit being bonus action but it can work well for regular attacks to utilize bonus action.

Zigludo
2019-04-27, 12:09 AM
After 11, you just can't go wrong with Rogue levels as a Dexterity Fighter.

But I am also inclined to agree in part with what LudicSavant says here; Samurai's level 15 and 18 features are strong, and they enjoy the spike in power at 20 more than most other Fighters do for various reasons, so while I would tell most Fighters to think about leaving at 11, you might actually want to stay especially if you think you might hit 20.

You have a few boring levels coming up due in part to all those ASIs but you still have quite a few attractive feats to select from:

- Alert (it's just always good)
- Medium Armor Master
- Crossbow Expert (you want this before 20)
-Resilient: Dexterity (it sucks that you already have 20 Dexterity but, hey, it still rounds out your saves.)

If you happen to already have High Wisdom, Gloom Stalker 4 is very strong. If you do end up doing that, then you should absolutely put the remaining 5 levels in Rogue, possibly Assassin.