PDA

View Full Version : Non-Human Half-Elves?

Archpaladin Zousha
2019-04-01, 09:43 PM
In the venerable Baldur's Gate series, specifically Baldur's Gate II, the player may develop a romantic relationship with Aerie, an elf priestess-mage, and this results in Aerie becoming pregnant with the player's child, and in their epilogue, having another child with them. Most notably, Aerie may be pursued if the player character is a human, an elf, a half-elf...or a halfling or a gnome.

So...can halflings and gnomes reproduce with people besides their own in Faerun? I feel like this creates an interesting dynamic...at least in the example I've noted here, I presume Aerie's children would be statted as half-elves regardless of what their father is, but I was curious if this has ever been touched on outside of the Baldur's Gate games. Something else I've noted is that halflings may begin relationships with other characters in the games, none of whom are halflings themselves, but their epilogues do not mention having children, except for Viconia DeVir's, which can be pursued by a halfling character, as well as a half-elven or half-orc one.

Sigreid
2019-04-02, 06:26 AM
I would be willing to allow it but would have you use the normal half elf modifiers. I'd suggest that you (but not force) use your 2 +1 modifiers and skill pick to reflect the non elven parentage.

Unoriginal
2019-04-02, 07:29 AM
In 5e lore, elves can only give birth to elves or half-humans half-elves. The existence of half-elves is considered a mystery because all elves are the reincarnations of previous elves, so they're not sure what's going on (main theories being, IIRC: human souls in an elven-like body, elven souls in an human-like body, or half an elven soul).

Basically all the humanoids except humans, tieflings and orcs cannot naturally reproduce with humanoids of other species than theirs, although stout halfings are rumored to have dwarven blood, without confirming if it's true or not. Tieflings cannot reproduce with tieflings, humans can reproduce with elves, orcs and tieflings, and orcs can reproduce with I think all humanoids except elves, but the offspring will always be an orc except if the other parent is an human, in which case it'll make an half-orc. Humans and orcs can also reproduce with ogres, who aren't humanoids but Giants, and the offspring would be an half-ogre.

In the realm of supernatural reproduction, dragons can do it with whoever thanks to shapeshifting (and it is also possible to become an half-dragon via a ritual), and genies can reproduce with at least humans. Nearly all demons can reproduce with humanoids to produce cambions, and glabrezu in particular can reproduce with drows, resulting in a draegloth. Archdevils (and not lower-ranked devils) can also produce cambions with humanoids, but it's also possible for them to produce tielfings with humans. Other fiends can also produce cambions with humanoids, although the most common to do so are incu-succubi and humans.

Of course if you'd rather have things done differently, don't worry about this and do what you want. I'm just talking about the lore in the books, since you asked about it.

Millstone85
2019-04-02, 07:44 AM
I chalked it up to another Bhaalspawn power.

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-02, 12:46 PM
In 5e lore, elves can only give birth to elves or half-humans half-elves. The existence of half-elves is considered a mystery because all elves are the reincarnations of previous elves, so they're not sure what's going on (main theories being, IIRC: human souls in an elven-like body, elven souls in an human-like body, or half an elven soul).

Basically all the humanoids except humans, tieflings and orcs cannot naturally reproduce with humanoids of other species than theirs, although stout halfings are rumored to have dwarven blood, without confirming if it's true or not. Tieflings cannot reproduce with tieflings, humans can reproduce with elves, orcs and tieflings, and orcs can reproduce with I think all humanoids except elves, but the offspring will always be an orc except if the other parent is an human, in which case it'll make an half-orc. Humans and orcs can also reproduce with ogres, who aren't humanoids but Giants, and the offspring would be an half-ogre.

In the realm of supernatural reproduction, dragons can do it with whoever thanks to shapeshifting (and it is also possible to become an half-dragon via a ritual), and genies can reproduce with at least humans. Nearly all demons can reproduce with humanoids to produce cambions, and glabrezu in particular can reproduce with drows, resulting in a draegloth. Archdevils (and not lower-ranked devils) can also produce cambions with humanoids, but it's also possible for them to produce tielfings with humans. Other fiends can also produce cambions with humanoids, although the most common to do so are incu-succubi and humans.

Of course if you'd rather have things done differently, don't worry about this and do what you want. I'm just talking about the lore in the books, since you asked about it.

It's a shame that Mul (Half-Dwarves) are not canon in 5e (but were in 4e). They were pretty cool, and one of my favorite races.

LibraryOgre
2019-04-02, 03:17 PM
Older, but I believe that Dwarves Deep (2e, FR) allowed for dwarf-elf crossbreeds, but they were treated as pure dwarves

Archpaladin Zousha
2019-04-02, 04:15 PM
Older, but I believe that Dwarves Deep (2e, FR) allowed for dwarf-elf crossbreeds, but they were treated as pure dwarves
Neat-o-beans! Though no one in Baldur's Gate II is willing to date a dwarf. :smallannoyed:

No brains
2019-04-02, 04:21 PM
The answer is always mongrelfolk. Especially the ones that have that incongruous lobster claw.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/67/Mongrelman.JPG/200px-Mongrelman.JPG

LibraryOgre
2019-04-02, 04:32 PM
Neat-o-beans! Though no one in Baldur's Gate II is willing to date a dwarf. :smallannoyed:

Yeah, I prefer later games where pretty much anyone will date anyone.

Sigreid
2019-04-02, 04:42 PM
The answer is always mongrelfolk. Especially the ones that have that incongruous lobster claw.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/67/Mongrelman.JPG/200px-Mongrelman.JPG

Dwarves are mongrelfolk. Friends don't let friends play dwarves.

bid
2019-04-02, 05:12 PM
Dwarves are mongrelfolk. Friends don't let friends play dwarves.
At least being dwarf isn't a puntable offense.