PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The New Improved Flesh Golem Race: Streamlined? (PEACH)

Crisis21
2019-04-01, 10:08 PM
So, a little over a year ago, I tried my hand at making a Flesh Golem race (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?550521-Frankenstein-Flesh-Golem-race-(PEACH)) and kind of stalled on it. Recently I finished running a Level 0 campaign (I had my players play Jumanji in-game. Good times.) and one of the players offered to run Curse of Strahd for the victorious characters plus newcomers. I decided this was the perfect chance to playtest some of my homebrew and while I was getting my stuff together, I stumbled back across my Flesh Golem race and decided to finally complete it so I could playtest it along with all the other stuff I was planning to playtest.

Okay, so thanks to some feedback and finally deciding to bite the bullet and compare to Detect Balance (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vq1kz6PRAbw5LHy6amH-bNb4OuB8DBXL1RsZROt03Sc/edit#gid=0), I have overhauled the Flesh Golem race. Before subraces (and after Golem Materials), the race sits at a solid 20 according to what I can glean from the document. Each of the new 18 subraces - each one based on an existing race - should add ~ 9-12. I may have miscalculated in a few spots, so let me know if you see that.

I also added four Feats for the race and one Weakness (take at character creation for a bonus Feat).

So this monster (hah!) of a race currently clocks in at 2 pages of race intro and fluff, one page of core race traits + Golem Materials, six pages of subraces, one page of Feats

The final, orignal, (and currently optional to disallow for DMs) subrace: Patchwork Creature is on my to-do list for further balancing (a further seven pages of it). I am open to any and all suggestions regarding it.

The race has been streamlined. There is a 'subrace' option to tack flesh golem onto many main races. Remaining subraces for the flesh golem include 'creatures' that can be achieved by splicing together humanoids and certain beasts.

Patchwork Creation now runs off of a Body Modification list rather than random tables.

So here it is, the New Revised Steamlined and Improved Flesh Golem race (with swanky naturalcrit formatting)! Please, for the love of homebrew, let me know what I can improve, what you think I got right, and in general your impression of the concept.

https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BJMkH7gFN

Crisis21
2019-04-04, 12:11 AM
I would very much like some feedback on this. What am I doing wrong? What am I doing right?

Anymage
2019-04-04, 12:55 AM
Eight pages of random rolls for a race sounds incredibly finicky, not to mention the fact that there's a reason rolling for racial traits has fallen out of style.

Thematically speaking, I have a hard time seeing where these creatures come from. If someone wants to make a golem, they'll want to create something stronger than a base playable race, while simultaneously being more obedient than a free-willed PC type. There's a reason that flesh golems in the MM start out at CR5. If someone wants to follow in the footsteps of Victor Frankenstein, his hubris at overcoming death itself is less of a point in a world where death can already be overcome by praying really hard, and where the mysteries of the afterlife can be solved by asking a wizard to Plane Shift you.

If you want to make this work you'll either want to make them more like Discworld Igors (who will surgically modify themselves with spare parts), or you'll want to create a more specific reason why you have a sizable population of free-willed creatures made from bits of corpses. (You might want this to be a case where other members of the race will propagate by reanimating collected bits.) I can't think of a solid backstory off the top of my head, but I'm sure you could put together a cool one. Then you'll want to have a more concise bunch of race and subrace traits, avoiding randomness and excessively situational modifiers.

Crisis21
2019-04-05, 01:09 AM
Eight pages of random rolls for a race sounds incredibly finicky, not to mention the fact that there's a reason rolling for racial traits has fallen out of style.

Thematically speaking, I have a hard time seeing where these creatures come from. If someone wants to make a golem, they'll want to create something stronger than a base playable race, while simultaneously being more obedient than a free-willed PC type. There's a reason that flesh golems in the MM start out at CR5. If someone wants to follow in the footsteps of Victor Frankenstein, his hubris at overcoming death itself is less of a point in a world where death can already be overcome by praying really hard, and where the mysteries of the afterlife can be solved by asking a wizard to Plane Shift you.

If you want to make this work you'll either want to make them more like Discworld Igors (who will surgically modify themselves with spare parts), or you'll want to create a more specific reason why you have a sizable population of free-willed creatures made from bits of corpses. (You might want this to be a case where other members of the race will propagate by reanimating collected bits.) I can't think of a solid backstory off the top of my head, but I'm sure you could put together a cool one. Then you'll want to have a more concise bunch of race and subrace traits, avoiding randomness and excessively situational modifiers.

Thank you for prompting me to expand the racial backstory. I had fun with that much at least.

Honestly, I specifically don't want flesh golems to have a sizable population. Having a population negates a great deal of the one-and-a-half to two page racial fluff I just wrote for them. Making even one is described as an intensive process, and the end result tends to horrify most creators to the point they never make another. (Why would they make one in the first place then? Well, the kinds of people who would create flesh golems are brilliant people who are also generally not right in the head.) In fact, most flesh golems can go their entire lives without seeing another (unless their creator is the kind of megalomaniacal nutcase who makes and keeps them as servants).

They're not something that was mass produced as soldiers like the warforged or most undead. They're the mad science project of insane geniuses using forbidden and illegal alchemical practices in hidden laboratories. They're essentially a race so rare they don't actually qualify as a true race in societal terms. Rather than having their own communities, they are shoved to the outskirts of everyone else's communities. At best, they are considered curiosities. At worst, they are condemned as monsters and abominations.

Given the setting has a myriad of races and magical creatures that could be used as raw materials in the creation of a flesh golem, the end result would likely be that most flesh golems are effectively unique creations. The main purpose of the tables is to drive home the fact that even if your character does find other flesh golems, they will still likely fail to find someone like themselves.

Crisis21
2019-04-08, 10:48 PM
I have added standard subraces. 18 of them. All based on existing races, such as human, elf, dwarf. Because a flesh golem made from dwarves would have dwarven abilities.

Garfunion
2019-04-09, 04:41 AM
I still thing you are putting a lot into your flesh golem that isn’t need or it is to much. This is the “flesh golem” I use in my Planeshift: Innastrad world.

Stitched Born
Something went right or terribly wrong. You are not a mindless Skaab(golem), you have intelligence, you have free will.

Ability Score Increase: Your Strength score increases by 2 and your Constitution score increases by 1.

Age: Stitched Born "live" for only a short amount of time, mostly powering down after 20 years due to losing the supple of electricity that reanimated them. Stitched Born can be recharged, by a new lightning strike, which can reset their life expectancy to another 20 years.

Alignment: Stitched Born alignment is varied. They have no natural tendencies but many times the environment after their creation can lead them down one path or another.

Size: Stitched Born are around the same size as humans but usually weigh more.

Speed: Your base walking speed is 30 feet.

Living Construct: Even though you were constructed, you are a living creature. You are immune to disease. You do not need to eat, sleep, or breathe, but you can ingest food and drink if you wish. You may also sleep, however such action can cause the memories of the victims your body is made from, to haunt your dreams.

Aversion of Fire: If you takes fire damage, you have disadvantage on your next attack roll or ability check.

Electron Capacitor: You are immune to lightning damage. Whenever you are subjected to lightning damage, you takes no damage and instead regain a number of hit points equal to the lightning damage dealt. You can not regain hit points in this way again, until you complete a long rest.

Body Modification: You choose one of the following body modifications below when you create a Stitched Born.
•Owl(elf) Eyes - You gain darkvision 120ft.
•Two Brains - You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed and possessed, and magic can’t put you to sleep.
•Copper Plating - You gain a +1 bonus to your armor class.
•Brass Knuckles - You gain proficiency in unarmed strike and your unarmed strike now deals 1d4 + strength modifier bludgeoning damage.
•Spring Heels - You only need to move 5ft when performing a long or high jump and you may increase your jump distance by 5ft. Your speed increases by 5ft as well.
•Savage Heart - When you score a critical hit with a melee weapon attack, you can roll one of the weapon’s damage dice one additional time and add it to the extra damage of the critical hit.

Languages: Common and a choice of one other.

As you can see, it incorporates many racial like abilities without having to go throw 18+ sub races. You can add additional body mods to the list if you want like;
Steel Nerves: you can’t be frighten.
Alchemical Bladder: gain the breath weapon of a Dragonborn.

Crisis21
2019-04-09, 09:07 AM
I still thing you are putting a lot into your flesh golem that isn’t need or it is to much. This is the “flesh golem” I use in my Planeshift: Innastrad world.

Stitched Born
Something went right or terribly wrong. You are not a mindless Skaab(golem), you have intelligence, you have free will.

Ability Score Increase: Your Strength score increases by 2 and your Constitution score increases by 1.

Age: Stitched Born "live" for only a short amount of time, mostly powering down after 20 years due to losing the supple of electricity that reanimated them. Stitched Born can be recharged, by a new lightning strike, which can reset their life expectancy to another 20 years.

Alignment: Stitched Born alignment is varied. They have no natural tendencies but many times the environment after their creation can lead them down one path or another.

Size: Stitched Born are around the same size as humans but usually weigh more.

Speed: Your base walking speed is 30 feet.

Living Construct: Even though you were constructed, you are a living creature. You are immune to disease. You do not need to eat, sleep, or breathe, but you can ingest food and drink if you wish. You may also sleep, however such action can cause the memories of the victims your body is made from, to haunt your dreams.

Aversion of Fire: If you takes fire damage, you have disadvantage on your next attack roll or ability check.

Electron Capacitor: You are immune to lightning damage. Whenever you are subjected to lightning damage, you takes no damage and instead regain a number of hit points equal to the lightning damage dealt. You can not regain hit points in this way again, until you complete a long rest.

Body Modification: You choose one of the following body modifications below when you create a Stitched Born.
•Owl(elf) Eyes - You gain darkvision 120ft.
•Two Brains - You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed and possessed, and magic can’t put you to sleep.
•Copper Plating - You gain a +1 bonus to your armor class.
•Brass Knuckles - You gain proficiency in unarmed strike and your unarmed strike now deals 1d4 + strength modifier bludgeoning damage.
•Spring Heels - You only need to move 5ft when performing a long or high jump and you may increase your jump distance by 5ft. Your speed increases by 5ft as well.
•Savage Heart - When you score a critical hit with a melee weapon attack, you can roll one of the weapon’s damage dice one additional time and add it to the extra damage of the critical hit.

Languages: Common and a choice of one other.

As you can see, it incorporates many racial like abilities without having to go throw 18+ sub races. You can add additional body mods to the list if you want like;
Steel Nerves: you can’t be frighten.
Alchemical Bladder: gain the breath weapon of a Dragonborn.

Do not want. For several reasons.

1) The age thing. In many adaptations of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, it is implied that the doctor's creation could live a very long life if just left alone. However, the creature is also often surrounded by violence as a consequence of what he is. Ergo, I don't want to give any hard limit on how long my flesh golems could live.

2) Not needing to eat, sleep, or breath. Flesh golems have living bodies with the needs of living bodies. They aren't some variant of undead or construct, no matter how similar their creation.

3) The aversion to fire. I blame Hollywood for this, really. Yeah, fire is a scary thing, but I do not in any way shape or form see why all flesh golems should essentially have pyrophobia. If they were unintelligent creations, I could possibly see that, but as something for players... I just don't see the justification for it. I don't care that it's part of the monster manual, it doesn't make sense.

4) The supreme lack of options your Body Modification table has. It resembles what I was originally trying with the race, only less so. And I got complaints about where I ended up with that, which is what prompted the overhaul. The sheer diversity of creatures that can be used as raw materials for a flesh golem creates wide possibilities just staying inside the box and endless possibilities if a creator wants to go outside the box.

5) If a flesh golem is made from - say - all elf body parts, why wouldn't it have abilities similar to regular elves? These aren't just some fancy undead here. Flesh golems are living creatures made from other living creatures. They should inherit abilities from those creatures.

In short, I don't want to reduce my creation to just another adaptation of its entry in the monster manual. I want to actually do the concept justice. And in a D&D setting, that means (unfortunately for you and my free time) a buttload of options.

Edit: I do like 'Body Modification' as a term for flesh golem enhancements. I'm probably going to use that as the go-to term for the Patchwork Creature subrace traits going forward.

Garfunion
2019-04-09, 12:11 PM
Well the other idea would be to reverse your concept. Instead of creating a race with multiple sub-races you could just use the current races and create a sub-race for them. For example all the playable races that currently have a sub-race will be replaced with a universal flesh golem sub-race. And all the races that do not have a sub-race but have variant rules for different versions of the race, you can use those rules to create a golem version.

The Wayfinders Guide to Eberron does this with their dragon marks.

The U.A. Gothic Heroes
http://dnd.wizards.com/sites/default/files/media/upload/articles/UA%20Gothic%20Characters.pdf
Also does this with the Revenant sub-race

Crisis21
2019-04-09, 12:56 PM
Well the other idea would be to reverse your concept. Instead of creating a race with multiple sub-races you could just use the current races and create a sub-race for them. For example all the playable races that currently have a sub-race will be replaced with a universal flesh golem sub-race. And all the races that do not have a sub-race but have variant rules for different versions of the race, you can use those rules to create a golem version.

The Wayfinders Guide to Eberron does this with their dragon marks.

The U.A. Gothic Heroes
http://dnd.wizards.com/sites/default/files/media/upload/articles/UA%20Gothic%20Characters.pdf
Also does this with the Revenant sub-race

The problem with that is that not all races are equal in the distribution of traits between race and subrace, and many races don't have (official) subraces at all. I've heard this complaint in relation to the revenant subrace many times.

Believe it or not, it was actually easier for me to stretch and squash 18 races to fit the Flesh Golem than to do the reverse.

So... for the Patchwork Creature subrace, I'm thinking of taking your Body Modification idea and blending it with my tables.

How this could work: Rather than trying to balance each trait individually, I would give the player 12 (maybe 13) 'Body Modification' (BM) points to spend and do my best to rate each trait versus the Detect Balance (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vq1kz6PRAbw5LHy6amH-bNb4OuB8DBXL1RsZROt03Sc/edit#gid=0) and give them an according cost in BM points. I would still include tables and die rolls for the full flesh golem experience (because they don't exactly have a say in their own creation), but I'd tweak them to work with the BM points as well. So you could go for a few 'major' body modifications (like wings, extra arms, and the like) or several 'minor' body modifications (like having a powerful build, webbed hands, and such).

Garfunion
2019-04-09, 05:51 PM
How this could work: Rather than trying to balance each trait individually, I would give the player 12 (maybe 13) 'Body Modification' (BM) points to spend and do my best to rate each trait versus the Detect Balance (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vq1kz6PRAbw5LHy6amH-bNb4OuB8DBXL1RsZROt03Sc/edit#gid=0) and give them an according cost in BM points. I would still include tables and die rolls for the full flesh golem experience (because they don't exactly have a say in their own creation), but I'd tweak them to work with the BM points as well. So you could go for a few 'major' body modifications (like wings, extra arms, and the like) or several 'minor' body modifications (like having a powerful build, webbed hands, and such).

That is another question to ask yourself, how many players will play your race, especially if it looks complicated? 5e is all about simplicity, not everything needs a mechanic for it, when you can just RP it. A good rule I use for my homebrew is, it must fit on one page two columns, 12pt times new roman. The fluff/lore of the race can take up multiple pages.

Crisis21
2019-04-09, 07:01 PM
That is another question to ask yourself, how many players will play your race, especially if it looks complicated? 5e is all about simplicity, not everything needs a mechanic for it, when you can just RP it. A good rule I use for my homebrew is, it must fit on one page two columns, 12pt times new roman. The fluff/lore of the race can take up multiple pages.

...you do make a compelling argument about making it easier for players rather than myself. I'll see what I can do about making an option for this as a subrace. Probably +1 CON, -2 CHA, Lightning resistance, horrific scars, and maybe something else. I'll see what I deem essential to the feel of it.

So, current plan: Main race has 'Body Modification' points to get all sorts of wacky stuff and possibly a couple of standard subraces for things like centuars, minotaurs, merpeople (basically anything that could be made by splicing a humanoid with a beast) as an alternative. Plus optional subrace that can theoretically be tacked on to any main race.

Can I just say thanks for taking the time to debate this with me? It's been really good for my process.

MagneticKitty
2019-04-09, 08:23 PM
Using the listed homebrew balance guide I'd put it at: about 29 base before you give it loads of extra gravy from subclass... you probably want 25-30 for the entire race as a whole including subclass.

(4) Plus 1 stat
(-4) minus 2 stat
(10) choice of plus 2 (not on list I had to guesstimate based on choice of plus 1 being a 5, and plus 2 being an 8)
(3) lighting res (medium res)
(??? At least 4) immunity to paralysis negates several spells like hold person, this is super potent. I'd say 4+ points (not on the guide)
(2) advantage on intimidation, closest is expertise on a subset of a skill is closest.. I'd say this is more potent (but mechanically similar) than dwarf stone working because the applications are way more broad.. disadvantage on being recognized is not that detrimental unless youre a charisma user usually. Which you aren't with this race
(1) Choice of one tool prof
(1) advantage on a rare roll (disease)
(4) adv on a common roll (death)
(5+.. again nothing to gague, but this is like a free greater res on self, a lv 5 spell. More specific but still free..) +1 exhaustion capacity
(-1) humanoid + monstrocity, feels like you're trying to pile on "bad" traits so you can fit more

It's overwhelming and bloated.. a lot of the subraces are flat better than base race (like kobold not having -2 str) or the dragonborn which gets very little normally.. Any race that's notoriously underpowered (like these two) becomes better, and people playing the base might be upset. It feels like cherry picking the best things, especially when you get to pick where to put your plus 2.
The base may be balanced on its own, but with subraces it's just too much

I think the plus 2 asi should definitely be tied to subrace, it's way too flexible as is.
I do really like the electric feat, this is flavorful and unique, this is what i like to see. What I would do is: make a trait similar to your muscled, flexible ect, but tie it to race. Like centaur +2 str and equine build
kobold +2 dex grovel cower and beg
ect
Give it the electric feat abilities. And call it done. Cut all the rest.

Crisis21
2019-04-09, 09:16 PM
Using the listed homebrew balance guide I'd put it at: about 29 base before you give it loads of extra gravy from subclass... you probably want 25-30 for the entire race as a whole including subclass.

(4) Plus 1 stat
(-4) minus 2 stat
(10) choice of plus 2 (not on list I had to guesstimate based on choice of plus 1 being a 5, and plus 2 being an 8)
(3) lighting res (medium res)
(??? At least 4) immunity to paralysis negates several spells like hold person, this is super potent. I'd say 4+ points (not on the guide)
(2) advantage on intimidation, closest is expertise on a subset of a skill is closest.. I'd say this is more potent (but mechanically similar) than dwarf stone working because the applications are way more broad.. disadvantage on being recognized is not that detrimental unless youre a charisma user usually. Which you aren't with this race
(1) Choice of one tool prof
(1) advantage on a rare roll (disease)
(4) adv on a common roll (death)
(5+.. again nothing to gague, but this is like a free greater res on self, a lv 5 spell. More specific but still free..) +1 exhaustion capacity
(-1) humanoid + monstrocity, feels like you're trying to pile on "bad" traits so you can fit more

It's overwhelming and bloated.. a lot of the subraces are flat better than base race (like kobold not having -2 str) or the dragonborn which gets very little normally.. Any race that's notoriously underpowered (like these two) becomes better, and people playing the base might be upset. It feels like cherry picking the best things, especially when you get to pick where to put your plus 2.
The base may be balanced on its own, but with subraces it's just too much

I think the plus 2 asi should definitely be tied to subrace, it's way too flexible as is.
I do really like the electric feat, this is flavorful and unique, this is what i like to see. What I would do is: make a trait similar to your muscled, flexible ect, but tie it to race. Like centaur +2 str and equine build
kobold +2 dex grovel cower and beg
ect
Give it the electric feat abilities. And call it done. Cut all the rest.

Thank you for your insight. I'm in the process of doing a cull and streamline and this is very helpful.

Crisis21
2019-04-09, 11:23 PM
Okay, I have taken a hatchet to this race. The changes include, but may not be limited to:

Golem Materials grant only +1 to the relevant ability score.

Horrific Scars has thematic downsides. Mostly scaring people that haven't met you before and making them hostile.

Immunity to paralysis has become advantage on saves vs paralysis.

Choice of Tool and extra Exhaustion have been removed.

Current main race features stand at around 14-16 points depending on how downsides to Horrific Scars factor in.

Most subraces have been removed and replaced with a Flesh Golem subrace option for main races. The current subrace features are +1 CON, -2 CHA, Horrific Scars, Reborn by Lightning, and Monstrous Vitality. Instructions for alterations on Human, Dragonborn, Tiefling, and Genasi races in order to accommodate this subrace are included.

Remaining standard subraces are all 'spliced' creatures following a template. Templates included are Centaur, Harpy, Merfolk, and Minotaur. Three have alternate templates with minor revisions to features for extra golem-making wackiness. All include either +1 to Strength or Dexterity.

Patchwork Creature has a list of Body Modifications to choose from and 15 points to spend (should be about right after hatchet job)

1 new Feat and 2 new Weaknesses added

Current page count: 10

2 for intro and race fluff.
1 for main race features
2 for standard subraces
2 for Patchwork Creation subrace and the Body Modification list (I consider this the advanced race option)
1 for Flesh Golem as Subrace
2 for Flesh Golem Feats and Weaknesses

I may work on making a table of contents tomorrow. It looks like I could use it because I don't see this getting simpler and still doing what I want it to.

MagneticKitty
2019-04-10, 12:16 PM
I will look at it again when work dies down in like 6 hours.
If you're doing choices for patchwork you might look at how simmic hybrid (ua) is structured

Edit: On a quick glance through, still super bloated. If you need a glossary it's probably a problem.
Still too versitile, races should be good at something, not everything. winged is 16 points when you only get 15.
Mismatched is way to harsh.

It feels... un 5e like if that makes sense. 5e aims to make simple things with a few choices for race.

Crisis21
2019-04-10, 12:37 PM
I will look at it again when work dies down in like 6 hours.
If you're doing choices for patchwork you might look at how simmic hybrid (ua) is structured

I might at that. I haven't paid much attention to Ravnica to be honest.

Garfunion
2019-04-10, 03:32 PM
Ok I think we are getting closer to a more manageable race. Here are my opinion on what you have so far.

Ability score: I don’t understand why the golem needs a negative in charisma. Their appearance and people skills are no different than a half-orc.

Horrific Scars: I can see giving the golem proficiency or advantage on intimidation checks but, the penalty for charisma checks seem to be more of an annoyance. On top of the fact that if the golem wants to be more social they need proficiency in disguise kit and keep rolling until they beat the DC.

Reborn by Lightning: The lightning resistance is fine but I’m not sure about the paralyze advantage (I’m not sure where you got that from).

Monstrous Vitality: this feature seems fine to me.

Hybrid Nature: I’m not sure there’s much need for being a monstrosity. If you want your golem to be immune or resistant to certain spells and abilities there might be a better way to do it.

Golem Materials: This seems to be a more elaborate way of saying that your golem gains a +1 to one ability score of your choice.
You could simply say in the ability score section you gain a +1 to one ability score of your choice. This choice represents special materials used in your creation, talk to your DM to determine any RP elements tied to your choice. For example: The golem creator used orc muscles to enhance her strength.

Subrace Templates: I not sure where you are going with them. They seem very niche, a player would normally choose one if it gave the a significant advantage in the world they play in.

Patchwork: Seems pretty complicated and there’s some pretty powerful choices that could make a very powerful character early on.

By the way, here is the picture I use to represent my Stitched Born. I did not make this picture.
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-X7bptPbnILs/Uj-jGxScm6I/AAAAAAAACPg/rgyhCLNTA3o/s1600/accursedgolem.png

Crisis21
2019-04-10, 07:24 PM
Point by point:

Ability score: I don’t understand why the golem needs a negative in charisma. Their appearance and people skills are no different than a half-orc.

Half-orcs still get a childhood in which to learn how to socialize. Even warforged have the people they served with and who they learned social skills from. Flesh golems get tossed into the world with none of that, and the Charisma penalty is to reflect this. They have an adult's body and intellect, and a young child's understanding of interpersonal relationships... if that.

Horrific Scars: I can see giving the golem proficiency or advantage on intimidation checks but, the penalty for charisma checks seem to be more of an annoyance. On top of the fact that if the golem wants to be more social they need proficiency in disguise kit and keep rolling until they beat the DC.

*sigh* I keep trying to make this feature thematic to the source material (Frankenstein's creation kept scaring all the villagers he came across), but it keeps getting more and more out of hand. I think I'll take your advice and just make it flat proficiency in Intimidation and put the rest in as non-mechanic fluff.

Reborn by Lightning: The lightning resistance is fine but I’m not sure about the paralyze advantage (I’m not sure where you got that from).

It might just be me playing too much Pokemon, but electricity and paralysis just keep relating together in my mind.

Monstrous Vitality: this feature seems fine to me.

Awesome!

Hybrid Nature: I’m not sure there’s much need for being a monstrosity. If you want your golem to be immune or resistant to certain spells and abilities there might be a better way to do it.

Having multiple creature types - especially if one is humanoid - is explicitly a bad thing in game terms. It means more stuff targets you that you don't want targeting you (For example: Ranger's Favored Enemy). The reason the race is monstrosity is because that's the creature type of pretty much every mix-and-match monster in the beastiary. Centaurs, minotaurs, griffons, etc. are all monstrosities. It's also humanoid, because a player race not being humanoid is a pretty significant boon. Spells that target humanoids (ex: Hold Person) tend to be lower level than spells that can hit all other creatures (ex: Hold Monster).

They're not immune or resistant to certain spells because of this feature, they are actually more vulnerable because of it and that's intentional.

Golem Materials: This seems to be a more elaborate way of saying that your golem gains a +1 to one ability score of your choice.
You could simply say in the ability score section you gain a +1 to one ability score of your choice. This choice represents special materials used in your creation, talk to your DM to determine any RP elements tied to your choice. For example: The golem creator used orc muscles to enhance her strength.

.....I am ready to smack myself over the head for not seeing this sooner.

Subrace Templates: I not sure where you are going with them. They seem very niche, a player would normally choose one if it gave the a significant advantage in the world they play in.

Well, I was thinking about what a madman (such as someone who creates flesh golems) might want to make if he could chop up bodies and stitch them together into 'new and interesting creatures'. These were some of the tamer options.

Patchwork: Seems pretty complicated and there’s some pretty powerful choices that could make a very powerful character early on.

... and this was me paring down the things I wanted to make available. I'm open to suggestions of what to cut, but there is no world in which I can make all of these options balance with each other so the point system was what I decided to go with.

...I might cut the damage resistance option. I have a Feat for that.

By the way, here is the picture I use to represent my Stitched Born. I did not make this picture.
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-X7bptPbnILs/Uj-jGxScm6I/AAAAAAAACPg/rgyhCLNTA3o/s1600/accursedgolem.png

That looks awesome. It's like Frankenstein's monster crossed with Indiana Jones and dressed as Clark Kent.

MagneticKitty
2019-04-10, 08:43 PM
Looking through it more carefully, why have so many body types in general? Is it just because there are so many sentient non humanoid races in dnd? Stereotypical Frankie is humanoid (human shaped). If you're just saying humanoid ones must pick patchwork (no human shaped template), there are a lot of powerful options. Honestly if you ended at page 3 I'd say that's a balanced race and makes sense for a Frankenstein. Have Frankenstein monsters in pop culture been mermaids? Centaurs? Ect?

Anyway, there's a point where myself and others are just not going to agree on what needs to be included. I think that's about all I can offer. May the odds be ever in your favor. And have fun!

Crisis21
2019-04-10, 09:28 PM
Looking through it more carefully, why have so many body types in general? Is it just because there are so many sentient non humanoid races in dnd? Stereotypical Frankie is humanoid (human shaped). If you're just saying humanoid ones must pick patchwork (no human shaped template), there are a lot of powerful options. Honestly if you ended at page 3 I'd say that's a balanced race and makes sense for a Frankenstein. Have Frankenstein monsters in pop culture been mermaids? Centaurs? Ect?

Anyway, there's a point where myself and others are just not going to agree on what needs to be included. I think that's about all I can offer. May the odds be ever in your favor. And have fun!

Did you scroll down to the subrace variant? That's the one to use for playing a typical humanoid flesh golem. You tack it onto an existing race as its subrace.

...I really need to add a table of contents at the beginning.

Edit: I added a table of contents to the beginning. It shows where everything is so you can get to it quickly (it even links internally).

The Classic Flesh Golem, the kind we expect from nearly all adaptations of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, is a subrace you use to attach to a main race. Through it you can play the classic monster recreated from the dead flesh of a single race (such as human, elf, dwarf, halfling, etc.) into the familiar brand of reanimated and emotionally complex horror we all know and love.

The main Flesh Golem race is for more... esoteric designs that can't be achieved by sticking to the body parts of one race. That's why its subraces are the way they are, because the 'vanilla humanoid' option is 100% covered by the Flesh Golem as a Subrace entry.

Garfunion
2019-04-11, 12:46 PM
Half-orcs still get a childhood in which to learn how to socialize. Even warforged have the people they served with and who they learned social skills from. Flesh golems get tossed into the world with none of that, and the Charisma penalty is to reflect this. They have an adult's body and intellect, and a young child's understanding of interpersonal relationships... if that.
Charisma isn’t about social interaction it’s more of a commanding presence, whether that be a fearful one or a charming one.
— Compromise here; In the horrific scarred section. Give them proficiency in intimidation and allow them to add twice their proficiency bonus to any intimidation checks they roll. This provides a passive “scary-ness to them.
Then give them disadvantage on any Charisma (Persuasion) check they make, let the player decide how they what to neutralize this penalty (example: Friends cantrip). This shows that they haven’t been able to properly socialize with people due to their scars.

It might just be me playing too much Pokemon, but electricity and paralysis just keep relating together in my mind.
I don’t think there are any lightning damage spell that paralyze. I think it would be best just to remove the paralyze.

Having multiple creature types - especially if one is humanoid - is explicitly a bad thing in game terms. It means more stuff targets you that you don't want targeting you (For example: Ranger's Favored Enemy). The reason the race is monstrosity is because that's the creature type of pretty much every mix-and-match monster in the beastiary. Centaurs, minotaurs, griffons, etc. are all monstrosities. It's also humanoid, because a player race not being humanoid is a pretty significant boon. Spells that target humanoids (ex: Hold Person) tend to be lower level than spells that can hit all other creatures (ex: Hold Monster).

They're not immune or resistant to certain spells because of this feature, they are actually more vulnerable because of it and that's intentional.

Adding an additional creature type to this race just because you think it’s fits the lore, just creates more of an annoyance and overly complicate things. If you want to add monstrosity I would suggest putting it into a sub-race.

Well, I was thinking about what a madman (such as someone who creates flesh golems) might want to make if he could chop up bodies and stitch them together into 'new and interesting creatures'. These were some of the tamer options.

Many of those templates look like non-playable monstrosity(ies).

We need to focus on the base humanoid race first. I would use special materials as the sub-race. Maybe create four sub-races and we’ll go from there.

P.S.
I hit my data cap so i will not be able to see changes to your homebrewery page.

Crisis21
2019-04-11, 01:47 PM
Charisma isn’t about social interaction it’s more of a commanding presence, whether that be a fearful one or a charming one.
— Compromise here; In the horrific scarred section. Give them proficiency in intimidation and allow them to add twice their proficiency bonus to any intimidation checks they roll. This provides a passive “scary-ness to them.
Then give them disadvantage on any Charisma (Persuasion) check they make, let the player decide how they what to neutralize this penalty (example: Friends cantrip). This shows that they haven’t been able to properly socialize with people due to their scars.

I'm not going to give them free Expertise. That's the kind of thing I honestly feel needs to be worked for. I do, however, see your point regarding Charisma.

If I'm to be giving disadvantage instead to reflect lack of social skill, I'd suggest disadvantage on Charisma (Persuasion) [lack of ability to tell how to motivate others] and Wisdom (Insight) [lack of ability to read other people]. I'll call the trait 'Mal-adjusted' and allow the optional 'Well-adjusted' to get rid of it at the cost of also not allowing you your free +1 of choice from Golem Materials.

I don’t think there are any lightning damage spell that paralyze. I think it would be best just to remove the paralyze.
Like I said, too much playing Pokemon. I'll remove it.

Adding an additional creature type to this race just because you think it’s fits the lore, just creates more of an annoyance and overly complicate things. If you want to add monstrosity I would suggest putting it into a sub-race.
Lore is what I look to first regarding traits, but I think I see the disconnect here and I'll address it below.

Many of those templates look like non-playable monstrosity(ies).
That was intentional.

We need to focus on the base humanoid race first. I would use special materials as the sub-race. Maybe create four sub-races and we’ll go from there.
Okay, I think I see where we're not on the same page. Earlier, you suggested a universal flesh golem subrace to replace the subrace of a main race. I disagreed at the time, but have since revised my opinion (I can often be reflexively stubborn). One of the options for playing a flesh golem is now a 'universal' subrace that can be tacked onto most main races in order to play as a flesh golem made from members of that race.

I am calling it the 'Classic' flesh golem because it is the option that most closely resembles Frankenstein's monster in concept. It's creature type is determined by the main race (so pretty much humanoid only all the way). This is the option if you want to play a human flesh golem, or an elven golem, a dwarven golem, etc.

So, essentially, there are two flesh golem options: A universal subrace that can be added to most main races for a 'Classic' flesh golem and a main race intended for more... unusual creations. Anything unusual enough to need the main race is unusual enough to justify the Monstrosity creature type being added to it in my opinion. Especially when most of the template subraces resemble existing monstrosity-type creatures.

I could add it as a feature to the subraces, but since I'd be adding it to all the current subraces I have (bar the universal one, which is a different issue) I feel it's more efficient to have it as a feature of the main race.

P.S.
I hit my data cap so i will not be able to see changes to your homebrewery page.

Ah. That sucks. I'll try my best to explain the changes I've made then.

1) No more -2 Charisma. It has been replace with a feature called maladjusted that imposes disadvantage on Persuasion and Insight checks. The optional feature Well-adjusted is able to replace both it and the +1 to choice from Golem Materials.

2) Choice of ability score feature can now boost Charisma.

3) Reborn by Lightning now grants only Lightning Resistance, no advantage against paralysis.

4) The universal subrace has +1 to CON, Lightning Resistance, Maladjusted (detailed above in point 1), Horrific Scars (Intimidation proficiency), and Monstrous Vitality (advantage vs disease and death). Essentially the bare basics of the flesh golem concept in my opinion.

Edit: Here is the sidebar text for 'races without a subrace' modifications to use with the universal subrace. Three are identical to the Revenant subrace's modifications, but two are personally adjusted.

Racial Adjustments

Much like the revenant subrace from the Gothic Heroes Unearthed Arcana, taking on the flesh golem subrace for a race that does not normally have subraces means making changes to your character’s base traits, as follows. Only a few such races are discussed here and other races that do not have subraces should not be used with this option unless similar changes are made.

Human Flesh Golem

If you want to play a human flesh golem, modify the human’s Ability Score Increase trait to the following: Two different ability scores of your choice increase by 1. If you use the variant human traits, remove the Skills trait and the Feat trait.

Dragonborn Flesh Golem

If you want to play a dragonborn flesh golem, modify the dragonborn’s Ability Score Increase trait to the following: Your Strength score increases by 2.

Genasi Flesh Golem

Most of the genasi's racial features are in their subrace, so it is the subraces that need to be adjusted for them. If you want to play a genasi flesh golem, you still pick one of the genasi subraces in addition to this one, but you modify its traits as follows: Remove the ability score increase and use only the cantrip from the spellcasting feature.

Tabaxi Flesh Golem

If you want to play a Tabaxi flesh golem, adjust the ability score increase trait to the following: Your Dexterity score increases by 2. In addition, remove the Feline Agility feature and adjust Cat's Talent to the following: You have proficiency in Stealth.

Tiefling Flesh Golem

If you want to play a tiefling flesh golem, use the tiefling variant from the Fiendish Options Unearthed Arcana.