PDA

View Full Version : "Fun" Monk build?

Aergentum
2019-04-02, 06:50 AM
After a long time spent only DMing, finally I can play as a player and for the upcoming campaign I was hoping to make a good character that's fun to play, and also not a total pain in the ass (since there are also two new palyers in the group).

I always loved monks, and in 3.5 I used to play one, but I've never tried on in 5e. I'm not looking for a "perfect" build, but for something that it will be fun to rolpelay and not so "standard".

My first thought was to make a Tiefling (Winged Variant) Long Death Monk, but I'd have to discuss with the master about the "winged" part. I think that that kind of character (chaotic neutral) would be fun to play. An outcast that travels the world pursuing is own agenda, a guy you don't want to mess with.

Reading through the manuals I stumbled upon the idea of a Razorclaw Shifter Way of Tranquility Monk. This sounds fun as the previous one to roleplay. A shifter that tries to balance his instincts (maybe also failing? It would be nice if the master makes me roll a check to see if I can keep my composure or not in dire situations).

Last but not least a Goblin Open Handed Monk. This one is less fun and more standard and I'm also not sure if I'd relly like to play this out...

What are your thoughts on these three possible builds? Any suggestions or things I might want to look at before making a wrong choice?

Yunru
2019-04-02, 07:07 AM
What level are you starting?
A Monk/Druid 9 with Mobile is extremely fun to play because Killer Whale.

ElementalAaron
2019-04-02, 07:07 AM
Monks are quite fun to play. I have played a 4 Elements Monk(despite it not being too good) and had a blast rping him as an explorer with much to learn. I am leaning to the path of tranquility monk shifter since that can lead to some interesting rp with allies and enemies when calming them. Just make sure your other members are down with peaceful approaches.

Edit:for the shifter as well if your DM allows Blood hunter, a BH lycan 3 can help flavor your access alot more and have acsess to a bit of utlity

Aergentum
2019-04-02, 07:16 AM

Level 1. We are a group of 4 players, with two at their first experience in playing D&D. That's why I'm thinking of making something unconvenctional and also fun to play. Probably the newbies will want to play the Barbarian or the Cleric of sort.

tieren
2019-04-02, 08:00 AM
If you are looking at Eberron stuff I always thought a warforged monk would be cool as a "living weapon". Maybe go shadow monk subclass to represent some sort of stealth mode.

strangebloke
2019-04-02, 09:10 AM
Anthony Blakeheart

Human Knowledge Cleric 1, kensei x. Noble background.

You're a ponce. A noble who never had to work a day in his life, but turned out to be absurdly talented at fencing and hand-to-hand combat and sort of made a name for himself there. Honestly you're just as surprised as anyone that you got this far. You don't even exercise or wear armor!

The Knowledge cleric level gives you expertise in knowledge (I would choose knowledge and religion, personally) which shows off your excellent noble education. (which you did your best to squander, but unfortunately you've a great memory.) You also get mending and guidance as cantrips, which let you keep your fancy clothes in decent shape.

'Ol Snapper

Tortle Drunken Master 5, Moon Druid 'X' Folk "Hero"

Last thing you can remember is, you went to sleep in your swamp, but when you woke up the whole place had dried up! Seems that you had been asleep for something like a decade. Anyway, you decided to find what was causing all the dryness, so you set out.

You're a folk 'hero' but really you're more like the creature from the black lagoon. People in the area are terrified of 'Ol Snapper, the crazy giant talking tortoise that lives in what used to be the swamp outside of town.

You don't need martial arts die because you can punch and flurry with your claws. Between this and not needing unarmored AC, you can pretty much dump Dex for Str. At later levels, you can turn into a grizzlygiant snapping turtle and flurry your bite attack for decent damage.

MrStabby
2019-04-02, 09:32 AM
One thing I have wanted to try is a shadowmonk archer.

Shadow step keeps you out of trouble, sharpshooter keeps your damage high and not being on the front lines helps you preserve Ki for your spells and for really explosive rounds. Later on add either fighter or ranger for archery fighting style.

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-02, 10:29 AM
After a long time spent only DMing, finally I can play as a player and for the upcoming campaign I was hoping to make a good character that's fun to play, and also not a total pain in the ass (since there are also two new palyers in the group).

I always loved monks, and in 3.5 I used to play one, but I've never tried on in 5e. I'm not looking for a "perfect" build, but for something that it will be fun to rolpelay and not so "standard".

My first thought was to make a Tiefling (Winged Variant) Long Death Monk, but I'd have to discuss with the master about the "winged" part. I think that that kind of character (chaotic neutral) would be fun to play. An outcast that travels the world pursuing is own agenda, a guy you don't want to mess with.

Reading through the manuals I stumbled upon the idea of a Razorclaw Shifter Way of Tranquility Monk. This sounds fun as the previous one to roleplay. A shifter that tries to balance his instincts (maybe also failing? It would be nice if the master makes me roll a check to see if I can keep my composure or not in dire situations).

Last but not least a Goblin Open Handed Monk. This one is less fun and more standard and I'm also not sure if I'd relly like to play this out...

What are your thoughts on these three possible builds? Any suggestions or things I might want to look at before making a wrong choice?

It's interesting that you came to those conclusions as to which one is "fun". I'd say that the Open Hand Monk is actually one of the most fun builds you can do. The other ones are flavorful in concept, but are actually quite dull.

Long Death, for example, basically has you be a never-dying tank. It's about as much "fun" as a Bear Barbarian. You do the same thing, every turn, with your sole focus be to absorb damage for your party. Now, you're still a Monk, so there's some cool stuff you can do, but the subclass itself just makes you tanky and get some expensive, late game 1-use tricks.

Tranquility Monk is also very dull, as it has a lot of means of solving problems outside of combat, and nothing to do while you're in it. Don't get me wrong, I like non-combat events as much as the next guy, but it throws all of its eggs into one basket. I have strong suspicions that this was chopped up and made into the Redemption Paladin, which you'll note has flavorful, combat-oriented abilities despite being a primarily non-combat subclass.

Open Hand, on the other hand (Pun Not Intended), adds complexity to the abilities that you already are going to be using. It also incentivizes non-combat (via your daily Sanctuary), and your abilities rely heavily on Wisdom (good for non-combat scenarios) more than most other Monks.

Snowbluff
2019-04-02, 10:30 AM
A Monk/Druid 9 with Mobile is extremely fun to play because Killer Whale.

I made a Grung KenseiMonk5/Spore Druid 2 named Gillman Webster. He would poison people a lot.

nickl_2000
2019-04-02, 10:32 AM
I made a Grung KenseiMonk5/Spore Druid 2 named Gillman Webster. He would poison people a lot.

I have an idea sitting in the back of my mind for an Arcana Cleric 1/ Open Hand Monk X Grung who focuses on poisoning. It sounds like it would be a super fun character if the DM allows it's use.

CTurbo
2019-04-02, 10:57 AM
I love 5e Monks! They are indeed very fun. Here are some suggestions.

1. Lizardfolk Open Hand Monk that bites and tailwhips enemies around the battlefield.

2. Aarakocra (any) Monk with 3 levels of Scout Rogue. You could literally fly away from an enemy with your reaction if he ends his turn next to you.

3. Tabaxi (any) Monk = crazy amounts of extra speed.

4. Gnome Long Death Monk. First of all... The 6th level Hour of Reaping feature is NOT ally friendly so you literally scare EVERYBODY lol. There is a ton of great rp right there since you're so tiny. Secondly, I just think it would be awesome for a little 2ft Gnome to run up and enemy and flurry of blows him in the face, and then jump from that enemies shoulder onto the next closest enemy's head.

5. Bugbear (any) Monk. Odd choice but you could FoB from 10ft away which is kinda cool.

6. Barbarian/Monk multiclass and play him like a Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde character. He tries so hard to stay calm and focused but sometimes he lets his anger get the best of him.

7. This is my next character.... She's a beautiful Aasimar (Scourge) that comes from a rich Noble family that loves wearing dresses and fighting evil. Did I mention she's a Zealot Barbarian? lol She'll take a Bard level or two(or five lol) for Bardic Inspiration dice(and healing and expertise in social skills) and of course she loves to sing and has a voice of an angel to match her face of an angel. What? You say this has nothing to do with Monk??? lol just trade Barbarian for Monk and you can still get unarmored defense while wearing a dress. It'd still work out very similarly. How many Monk/Bards do you see? lol

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-02, 11:01 AM
I've always liked the idea of an Aarakocra Sun Soul Monk. Flying races get a lot out of Monk due to flying's weaknesses (ranged attacks, falling) are mitigated by Monk features. Combine that with the Sun Souls' range, and you have a really annoying harasser that enemies can't really do anything about.

Or mix in 3 levels of Ancestral Guardian Barbarian and go Drunken Master for a Strength-based Monk that hits hard and tanks by fleeing from enemies.

ragnorack1
2019-04-02, 11:41 AM
The two variations on monk I've been playing around with starting are:

As others have mentioned a strength based open hand monk using a barbarian dip for a bit more defence and slight offence boost. If the dm let's me take the brawny or prodigy feat for athletics expertise and become a medieval Fray Tormenta, wrestling/adventuring to raise funds for the orphanage he was raised in. I picture him looking similar to hodor in day to day life a large fella in a plain/basic robe that hides his alter ego, when danger rears its head the robe is throne aside to reveal an over the top character straight from a manowar album cover complete with loin cloth and body oil. As a long term story arc if the dm agreed, would probably wrestle in towns the party visits winning various belts of giant strength and sending half of winnings/rewards back to the orphanage to the parties chagrin.

The other would be a simpler more effective character that I've not developed as much would be a kensei with battlemaster dip. Character would be a 'cursed' ronin where misfortune having befallen each of his previous masters he has forsook his armour, seeking an honourable death righting his previous failings. Would again probably be a variant human with the martial adept feat for an additional superiority die and manouvers.

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-02, 11:49 AM
The two variations on monk I've been playing around with starting are:

As others have mentioned a strength based open hand monk using a barbarian dip for a bit more defence and slight offence boost. If the dm let's me take the brawny or prodigy feat for athletics expertise and become a medieval Fray Tormenta, wrestling/adventuring to raise funds for the orphanage he was raised in. I picture him looking similar to hodor in day to day life a large fella in a plain/basic robe that hides his alter ego, when danger rears its head the robe is throne aside to reveal an over the top character straight from a manowar album cover complete with loin cloth and body oil. As a long term story arc if the dm agreed, would probably wrestle in towns the party visits winning various belts of giant strength and sending half of winnings/rewards back to the orphanage to the parties chagrin.

The other would be a simpler more effective character that I've not developed as much would be a kensei with battlemaster dip. Character would be a 'cursed' ronin where misfortune having befallen each of his previous masters he has forsook his armour, seeking an honourable death righting his previous failings. Would again probably be a variant human with the martial adept feat for an additional superiority die and manouvers.

Could talk to your DM about allowing your Monk to use Strength instead of Dexterity. It doesn't really break anything and it fits very thematically. I made a bunch of changes like this that change up what primary/secondary attributes certain builds use, in my Prestige Options, and this was one of them. The primary concern of doing so is the fact that Rage will add damage, but that's no different than what someone can do using the default rules. Really, the only mechanical difference this does is that your AC will be slightly better (as it would scale off of Strength instead of Dexterity), but this is offset by the fact that Dexterity is used in more Saving Throws, Skills, and is more versatile with weapons.

ragnorack1
2019-04-02, 11:58 AM
Could talk to your DM about allowing your Monk to use Strength instead of Dexterity. It doesn't really break anything and it fits very thematically. I made a bunch of changes like this that change up what primary/secondary attributes certain builds use, in my Prestige Options, and this was one of them. The primary concern of doing so is the fact that Rage will add damage, but that's no different than what someone can do using the default rules. Really, the only mechanical difference this does is that your AC will be slightly better (as it would scale off of Strength instead of Dexterity).

Aye that would be nice, but even if the dm doesn't allow wis/str or con/str to be used for AC I think the character would still be use able just not optimal. The rage damage mitigation would help with reduced AC, and I tend to play aggressively in the past with reckless attack with makes tanking with AC a lot less reliable.

But I do agree if the dm would let me get away with it the character would be alot of fun.

Yakmala
2019-04-02, 01:31 PM
Plenty of good suggestions above so I'll stick to commenting on the ideas you had.

1: I play a Way of the Long Death Monk as my main character at the moment and I love it! Great flavor. You are not like any other Monk. and functionally, you are super hard to kill. In addition to all the typical monk damage avoidance techniques, such as Patient Defense, Step of the Wind, Deflect Missiles, Slow Fall and Evasion, once you hit level 11 and get Mastery of Death, you are practically immortal. When you are at 0 HP, you can spend 1 Ki point to be at 1 HP instead. No Action/Bonus Action/Reaction needed. Assume you are a Level 20 Long Death Monk and get at least 1 short rest per game. That's up to 40 chances to avoid death!

2: Goblin Open Hand Monk: Goblins make great monks! Monks are not tanks. You always want to hit and run. Goblin Monks can use their Bonus Action to Disengage without having to spend a Ki point. Every Ki not wasted on Step of the Wind is a Ki point that can be used for something else, and that's a great thing!

Aergentum
2019-04-23, 07:55 AM
In the end my GF decided she wanted to play a Monk too, so I let her pick that class. She's playing a Tiefling Winged Monk (Way of the Open Hand) who is the first in the family to be born as a tiefling (mixed blood and her relatives didn't know about their infernal legacy). It's a nice character and she plays it well.

I decided to go with a Lizardfolk Druid (Circle of the Shepherd). The funniest part was when I met her for the first time: she has a reddish skin and her name is Bianca (which means white), since Lizardfolk are not fond of names (they think that names should describe things) we built up a whole commedy on this.

solidork
2019-04-23, 10:18 AM
I want to play an Aarakocra Open Hand monk and go all out describing fighting with arms+legs+wings.

blackjack50
2019-04-23, 02:13 PM

A drunken master build is ALWAYS good for some laughs. Maybe to the point that you are not skilled when sober?