PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Create Thrall in Adventurers League

Mind's Eye
2019-04-02, 10:22 AM
Does anyone know about the ruling for creating thralls in Adventurers League (using the Great old one pact's 14th level ability)? Would I have essentially a second character? Would I keep my thrall across sessions? Would my thrall level and gain XP?

Millstone85
2019-04-02, 10:31 AM
RAW, Create Thrall is false advertisement.

The charmed condition, by itself, doesn't grant any control over the charmed creature. Advantage on social checks is nice, but it doesn't make the creature your servant, nor an ally, nor any less hostile toward you.

This is why spells like charm person and dominate person put additional clauses on top of the charmed condition.

Create Thrall? You get a telepathic link, so the creature can tell you "No, go to the Nine" from a distance.

JackPhoenix
2019-04-02, 10:33 AM
You would get (semi)permanently charmed NPC. That means you have advantage on social ability checks against it, and it can't attack you. As a bonus from Create Thrall, you can communicate with it telepathically. That's it.

It's not a mind control, you won't get a second character, the NPC won't necessarily go anywhere with you. You may convince the NPC to join you through normal Persuasion, but that's entirely up to the individual DM, and if the DM allows it, you could've done that anyway, Create Thrall only gives you advantage on the roll, nothing more. So does Charm Person, Suggestion, or Enhance Ability (Cha).

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-02, 10:38 AM
While it doesn't automatically make you control the target, Charmed does grant you advantage on social interactions against it, and it cannot take any hostile actions against you.

So even if you don't control the Thrall, the link still could technically persist, so the question is still valid.

I've made a RPG Stack Exchange question on this topic : https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/144386/how-does-the-create-thrall-the-great-old-one-warlock-feature-work-in-adventure

I find that RPG.SE is better for finding solid, factual answers than a forum. GitP is much better at gathering opinions or getting more than facts, though.

Zhorn
2019-04-02, 10:40 AM
*sees title*
*starts think about a themed tempest cleric orc build and spell selection*
*reads opening post*
Oh, thrall not Thrall :(
I'll Go'el now

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-02, 10:45 AM
*sees title*
*starts think about a themed tempest cleric orc build and spell selection*
*reads opening post*
Oh, thrall not Thrall :(
I'll Go'el now

Psh, Thrall is definitely a Druid. Lightning was his bread-and-butter, but he could do a lot more than that. Land: Mountain would fit his playstyle quite nicely.

JackPhoenix
2019-04-02, 11:09 AM
Psh, Thrall is definitely a Druid. Lightning was his bread-and-butter, but he could do a lot more than that. Land: Mountain would fit his playstyle quite nicely.

He was running around in a plate armor. The level 1 fighter dip won't help with that on a druid.

He's Tempest cleric with cleric spell list switched for druid's. Which works nicely, by the way. You lose some buffing and melee capability, but the sheer Storm, Earth and Fire, heed my call! makes up for that.

Or, given how warcraft shamans work, more fighter/warlock (some sort of elemental pact) multiclass with Gladiator background would be more fitting.