PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next (Race) Frogfolk (PEACH)

LtPowers
2019-04-02, 03:00 PM
Names have been changed to protect myself from copyright/trademark.

Mainly looking for input on whether it's balanced with PHB races and whether it's flavorful enough to be enticing to play.

Frogfolk Traits

All Frogfolk characters share a number of traits that allow them to survive in the swamps.

Ability Score Increase. Your Charisma score increases by 2, and your Dexterity score increases by 1.

Age. Frogfolk mature very quickly relative to other races, reaching adulthood around the age of 11. Their lifespans are also shorter; they are considered elderly at 50 and rarely live to 60.

Alignment. Frogfolk tend to be strongly lawful and even more strongly good-aligned. They love to emulate the God of Valor, and that is reflected in a highly structured but benevolent society.

Size. Due to their hunched posture and bent legs, Frogfolk stand very low to the ground, shorter even than Gnomes and Halflings. But if stretched to their full height—during a leap, for instance—they can reach nearly 5 feet in length, and they are quite capable of wielding full-size weapons. Your size is Medium.

Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet, and you have a swimming speed of 30 feet.

Amphibious. You can breathe air and water.

Aquavision. You can see as clearly underwater as you can on land.

Standing Leap. Frogfolk have powerful legs that allow them to leap farther than any other race. You may make standing jumps as if they were running jumps, and your jump distance is doubled for both high and long jumps.

Last-Second Hop. When you fall, treat the distance fallen as 20' less when calculating the amount of damage you take. You cannot use this trait if your speed is 0 or you cannot move.

Swamp Healing. Whenever you spend Hit Dice to regain hit points, you may roll each die twice and use the higher result.

Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Frogfolkian.

JNAProductions
2019-04-02, 03:12 PM
This is not well-balanced. Not at all.

It needs more OOMPH. More MEAT. It needs something that would make someone want to play it for mechanical reasons, not just because they like frogs.

Going over it more in-depth...

Good ASIs.

Fine size.

Good speed (swimming, while not always handy, is useful).

Amphibious is, like swimming, niche but good.

Aquavision isn't very good without Darkvision.

Standing Leap is a good ribbon.

Last Second Hop is fine, but again, more ribbony.

Swamp Healing is good, but very minor.

Overall, too much fluff, not enough crunch. Perhaps give them a once per rest poison (although poison is very eh), some bonuses for leaping onto foes, and... I dunno what else.

LtPowers
2019-04-02, 04:12 PM
Yeah, that's kinda what I was afraid of. I based them on Tritons but didn't have a replacement for the Triton's innate spells. I need some sort of ability that would make them more likely to be Paladins, Fighters, and/or Clerics, but wasn't sure what to add. I'll go back to the drawing board.

Powers &8^]

TheYell
2019-04-02, 05:36 PM
Yeah, that's kinda what I was afraid of. I based them on Tritons but didn't have a replacement for the Triton's innate spells. I need some sort of ability that would make them more likely to be Paladins, Fighters, and/or Clerics, but wasn't sure what to add. I'll go back to the drawing board.

Well it's fine as stated I think. What if you did something like

SOMATIC GRACE Frogfolk enjoy abundant good health as a fruit of their pious harmony. While faithful to the tenets of a good-aligned deity, frogfolk may regenerate 1D6 health points once per long rest.

JNAProductions
2019-04-02, 05:40 PM
Well it's fine as stated I think. What if you did something like

SOMATIC GRACE Frogfolk enjoy abundant good health as a fruit of their pious harmony. While faithful to the tenets of a good-aligned deity, frogfolk may regenerate 1D6 health points once per long rest.

That's both unneedly restrictive and hella weak.

The Frogfolk need a LOT more to bring them on par.

TheYell
2019-04-02, 07:34 PM
How about
good frogfolk get 1d8 regeneration,
evil frogfolk can spit venom 20 ft -- 1d12 poison damage, DC 15 saves for half damage
neutral frogfolk get immunity to poison and disease

LtPowers said he wanted a race for clerics and paladins and fighters, so it should reward combat participation and I think there should be a moral dimension to it

JNAProductions
2019-04-02, 07:36 PM
How about
good frogfolk get 1d8 regeneration,
evil frogfolk can spit venom 20 ft -- 1d12 poison damage, DC 15 saves for half damage
neutral frogfolk get immunity to poison and disease

LtPowers said he wanted a race for clerics and paladins and fighters, so it should reward combat participation and I think there should be a moral dimension to it

Two things on the bolded bit:

1) Why?
2) What if the OP doesn't want that?

Also, 1d8 regeneration as a once/rest deal... sucks.
As a constant thing, is far too good.

Spitting venom, why a static DC? Should be 8+Prof+Con mod.
Also, it sucks. Bad.

Immunity to poison and disease might make this race worthwhile on its own, depending on what you face, but I'd hesitate to make that pretty much the SOLE mechanical reason for taking this race.

Crisis21
2019-04-02, 08:21 PM
For those who want to play a frog-person, may I advise looking into One Grung Above by Christopher Lindsay (available through https://www.dmsguild.com/)?

Maat Mons
2019-04-02, 10:02 PM
I'm not too familiar with 5e, but I'll throw out some ideas:

Natural Explorer (Swamp)
You're a tree frog. You have sticky pads to aid in climbing. They also help you keep your footing on tricky surfaces, and restist bull rush, disram, and trip.
You can use your long tongue to latch onto foes, preventing them from fleeing, or even pulling them closer.
Maybe your tongue lets you deliver touchspells and trip or disarm from a distance too.
You secrete a poison from your skin. Anyone attacking you with an unarmed strike or natural weapon risks being effected.
At will, as a bonus action, you can coat your weapon in the poison you secrete. Thi lasts only 1 round, but causes the weapon to deal extra poison damage.
You could have some sort of leap-based ability that bypasses attacks of opportunity for movement or gives you extra movement.
Leaping Charge! I have no idea what it would do though.
Vomit your guts out to deter predators.
Continuous Spider Climb. Get yourself somwhere others can't follow, and pelt things with arrows.

LtPowers
2019-04-03, 09:02 AM
Oh, wow. I totally forgot about Grung. They're not exactly what I'm looking for but they provide some good ideas.

Powers &8^]

Sindeloke
2019-04-06, 10:01 PM
I like the tongue idea. Maybe something like... You have a 1d4 acid damage tongue attack, and once per round, you can make a melee spell or natural attack at something 10 feet away? Paladins can use it for smites and OA, clerics can use it for touch spells.