PDA

View Full Version : 2in1 Thread - Fey Crossings and Feyhunter

Bjarkmundur
2019-04-02, 05:44 PM
Fey Crossings (https://campaign-527.obsidianportal.com/wikis/fey-crossings) are awesome. The fact that you can be travelling the woods like you do normally, and accidentally stumble in to an otherworldly place of wonder is so cool. The contrast, the etherealness, the adventure, is something quite magical. And it's usually just a one shot, something not connected to anything bigger. Just a random happenstance of magic.

Do you have any links or modules based around, or could be reflavoured as, fey crossings. I love all adventures based on "something powerful has changed the land and its inhabitants".

Thinking about all this stuff made me want to create a character that seeks out these fey phenomenons. What do you think are essential components for a 6th level character who's main past time is seeking out pockets of magic within the forests of the world?

Is he seeking these pockets out just to experience the wonder of the fairer realm?
Is he trying to cross to the Feywild to find his lover, who he lost through a crossing many years ago.
Is he trying to close any and all links between the material world and the Feywild, one pocket at a time, maybe some traumatic event involving a fey phenomenon sent him down this path?

Unoriginal
2019-04-02, 05:57 PM
Two words: Horizon Walker.

It has a feature that let you finds planar portals within a wide range, plus as a ranger you're good at tracking, hunting and forest navigating. Not to mention the magic you get from it.

One of the books from my childhood is "Carnet de route d'un chasseur de lutins", which would translate in that context as "Travel Log of a Fair Folk Hunter", telling the story and shenanigans of a man who search fair folks. There was also the excellent "Goblins!" of Brian Froud, framed as an attempt to do an encyclopedia about the goblin world.

You could have a character who want to do what Volo did for monsters in general, but for the Fey, and write books on them.

Bjarkmundur
2019-04-02, 06:05 PM
Yay! I made a thread you didn't shoot down instantly!
Guess I'm finally asking the right questions ^^

Oooo, making a book on fey phenomenons sounds awesome!

Vogie
2019-04-03, 04:00 PM
Seeker Warlocks have their patron urging them into seek information and travel, while Archfey pacts are a bit on the nose. Hexblade could be refluffed to be sentient fey weaponry (instead of sentient Shadowfell weaponry).
In addition to Horizon Walkers, Primeval Guardian Rangers could be reflavored as Feytouched, which fuels their transformation, and Monster Hunter Rangers could very easily be FeyHunters
The Wild Magic table from the Sorcerer Subclass could be mined as something that may happen when using magic in the fey realm.
Sun Soul Monks could be reflavored into elemental benders who want to close off the natural world from the fey realm. For example, an Earth Soul monk would swap their Burning Hands ability to a Earthen Grasp, and their Fireball with either Erupting Earth or half of the Bones of Earth spell, while a Water Soul Monk would use Water Whip (from 4 Elements monk) and Wall of Water.
Anyone with the Hermit background could have a stable gateway to the fey realm as their Discovery, while a Sage may think they're an expert in the Feywild... or are they?
Kevin Hearne's The Iron Druid Chronicles has really fleshed out rules for entering the realms & courts of a fictional version of the Tuatha Dé Danann, and the series is very pulpy and easy-to-read, and has a bunch of campaign-y elements.
The movie Annihilation, and Vandermeers Southern Reach series it's based on, could be easily refluffed as a chunk of the feywild overlaying on the existing world, causing the party to be sent in to figure out how to stop it.