PDA

View Full Version : the 15 foot step

TGWG
2007-10-01, 09:29 AM
I vouched this idea for a monk fix in another thread, but it wasn't taken seriously. I think the complaint was that it would give the monk something he could do that no one else could, or it could be that it would make him too good.

anyway, my idea was that, instead of just 1 five-foot-step, the monk would have 3 five-foot-steps. this way the monk can attack on the move, and could actualy fufil (to a slightly greater extent) a role of combat controller

I thought of this idea when i found a high priced items that give the monk a simular effect thing (training dummy of the master MAE- I think). and I thought, why not give it to him as a class ability instead.

what do you think

crimson77
2007-10-01, 09:56 AM
anyway, my idea was that, instead of just 1 five-foot-step, the monk would have 3 five-foot-steps. this way the monk can attack on the move, and could actualy fufil (to a slightly greater extent) a role of combat controller

Your idea might be better as a progression. The monk gets the normal 5 ft step until level 3-5 and then he gets a 10 ft step, then at level ~10 he gets a 15 ft step and at level ~15 he gets a 20 ft step. Finally at 20th level he can move he whole movement rate without occurring an attack of opportunity and still make a full attack on multiple opponents.

Kurald Galain
2007-10-01, 10:04 AM
The thing is that the "five foot step" is already a clunky and inelegant mechanic, and additional such steps aren't really helping.

leperkhaun
2007-10-01, 10:04 AM
it would have to be a progression, otherwise in your campgian others would take a 1 level monk dip just for that.

if you dont want to go for that, either OA or rakugon allows for a 10' step with an appropriate tumble check.

Indon
2007-10-01, 10:08 AM
Here's a change: The Monk's enhancement bonus to speed now applies to Five-foot steps.

Or should I say... FIFTY-FIVE foot steps! :P

Person_Man
2007-10-01, 10:15 AM
Karmic Strike + Evasive Reflexes + Thicket of Blades + Reach Weapon: Whenever your enemy moves or hits you, you take a 5 ft step instead of an AoO. An already legal and powerful combo that pretty much shuts down most attempts to hit you in combat.

brian c
2007-10-01, 10:17 AM
Karmic Strike + Evasive Reflexes + Thicket of Blades + Reach Weapon: Whenever your enemy moves or hits you, you take a 5 ft step instead of an AoO. An already legal and powerful combo that pretty much shuts down most attempts to hit you in combat.

But we're discussing monks here; since when do monks use reach weapons? (and even if there is some obscure monk reach weapon, they shouldn't have to use that one weapon just to be decently powered. Just like fighters shouldn't have to use a spiked chain)

TGWG
2007-10-01, 02:24 PM
The thing is that the "five foot step" is already a clunky and inelegant mechanic, and additional such steps aren't really helping.

how is it inelegant? I thought this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#take5FootStep)describes it perfectly

and the five foot step also carries a few restrictions to it, which would apply to the 15 foot step as well. so it isn't that good.
1. you cannot take a 5 foot step in a round if you perform any other kind of movement (jump, tumble, move, charge, ect)
2. you cannot take a 5 foot step if your movement is hampered by terrain or darkness

Here's a change: The Monk's enhancement bonus to speed now applies to Five-foot steps.

Or should I say... FIFTY-FIVE foot steps! :P

now that is going to far

martyboy74
2007-10-01, 03:07 PM
The problem with this fix is that the monk still has a 3/4 BAB and d8 HD. They already had very little in the way of mobility problem; their problem is that they can't do anything once they get there. The prime problem that monks face is that their weapon can't be enchanted for anything approaching reasonable prices, and can't get any of the special abilities, which is where the really useful stuff is, at all.

0oo0
2007-10-01, 03:55 PM
I could see problems arising from people combining this with skirmish.

Skjaldbakka
2007-10-01, 04:09 PM
A less complex 'fix' for monks that I have seen is to allow them to flurry as a standard action. This isn't friendlt for 'dipping', as flurrying has a limited list of weapons, and a progression that isn't completed until higher level. This combined with 6+int skill points/level, abundant step uses based on wisdom modifier, and intuitive attack as a monk class feature for special monk weapons would completely fix the monk.

Indon
2007-10-01, 05:14 PM
now that is going to far

You could have half the bonus apply, for 10-foot step at Monk 1 and 30-foot step at Monk 20.

Curmudgeon
2007-10-02, 11:17 AM
1. you cannot take a 5 foot step in a round if you perform any other kind of movement (jump, tumble, move, charge, ect) What sort of movement is "ect"? Is there maybe some sort of ectoplasmic motive force that I don't know about? :smallconfused:

Keld Denar
2007-10-02, 11:50 AM
What sort of movement is "ect"? Is there maybe some sort of ectoplasmic motive force that I don't know about? :smallconfused:

If you had the appropriate move speeds, you could take a 5' swim or a 5' burrow, even a 5' fly if you had perfect manuverability. Imagine that...a monk with a burrow speed takes a 15' step DOWN! Next turn, takes a 15' step out and fullattacks. Neat trick.

CrazedGoblin
2007-10-02, 11:58 AM
I vouched this idea for a monk fix in another thread, but it wasn't taken seriously. I think the complaint was that it would give the monk something he could do that no one else could, or it could be that it would make him too good.

there is one to add to the list

Indon
2007-10-02, 12:34 PM
What sort of movement is "ect"? Is there maybe some sort of ectoplasmic motive force that I don't know about? :smallconfused:

It's a tactical maneuver which is used to isolate people who are completely unforgiving regarding spelling.

Alternately, it's a typo of 'etc'.

AtomicKitKat
2007-10-02, 12:54 PM
Personally, let them flurry on a regular attack action(but limited to one flurry per round). That solves part of the problem with Flurry/TWFing(especially if applied to both). Reliance on full attack actions to be on par with a big Zweihander.