PDA

View Full Version : Which M/C works best with action surge

Whit
2019-04-02, 09:18 PM
If I went fight 2/?18 to get action surge and use it once per long rest for spectacular combo, how would each classs rank in it

Example cleric can double heal
Wizard 2 attack spells

krugaan
2019-04-02, 09:23 PM
wizard.

prismatic wall (sphere) + reverse gravity sounds like hilarious fun.

Kane0
2019-04-02, 09:30 PM
I dunno, moonbeam? I suppose paladin or warlock smites would be more spectacular though.

Talionis
2019-04-02, 09:37 PM
Assassinate is a very strong ability for Rogue Assassin 3 since you crit everything in first round. End the fight before they can hit you.

stoutstien
2019-04-02, 11:11 PM
It's a pretty solid dip for most builds. It would hard to compare a fighter 2/ Barbarian vs a fighter 2/warlock

bid
2019-04-02, 11:42 PM
Assassinate is a very strong ability for Rogue Assassin 3 since you crit everything in first round. End the fight before they can hit you.
It's even better if you cheese to get 2 SA by using one action "readying" to attack when your pal acts. Assuming one of your party members acts after you but before the target.

Otherwise, you get more mileage out of 2 extra smites.

CTurbo
2019-04-03, 12:12 AM
Fighter 2, Gloom Stalker 5, Assassin 13 with Alert

Action Surge on first round for 6 full attacks with advantage and sneak damage.

Fighter 2, Gloom Stalker 5, Bard 10, Assassin 3 with Swift Quiver and Sharpshooter

8 Longbow Attacks, all with advantage and all crits if you can pull off a surprise round

Fighter 2, Gloom Stalker 5, Bard 11, Paladin 2 with Swift Quiver

8 Longbow attacks and you could blow all of your spell slots on smites in that round for some extra silly amounts of damage lol I'm not doing the math.

Rukelnikov
2019-04-03, 12:19 AM

Fighter 2, Gloom Stalker 5, Bard 10, Assassin 3 with Swift Quiver and Sharpshooter

8 Longbow Attacks, all with advantage and all crits if you can pull off a surprise round

8 Longbow attacks and you could blow all of your spell slots on smites in that round for some extra silly amounts of damage lol I'm not doing the math.

Remember you only get 1 SA per turn (unless you're a Scout 17)

CTurbo
2019-04-03, 03:36 AM
Remember you only get 1 SA per turn (unless you're a Scout 17)

Yes I know that

Darkstar952
2019-04-03, 03:48 AM

The last one doesn't work as smites must be with a melee weapon attack so you can't smite with a longbow.

CTurbo
2019-04-03, 03:59 AM
The last one doesn't work as smites must be with a melee weapon attack so you can't smite with a longbow.

Yeah that's right l forgot that was just a DM houserule a friend made for another friend.
Well make it a Fighter 3, Gloom Stalker 5, Paladin 2, random full caster 10. Take Polearm Master and you'd make 7 attacks and could blow your smite wad and crit on 19 or 20

Vogie
2019-04-03, 08:50 AM
If it's 18/2 split, a Warlock is definitely up there.

Hex as a bonus action, then 2 actions of 4 Eldritch Blast rays each. LASERS!

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-03, 11:16 AM
I'd just stick with Fighter, TBH. Samurai's -5/+10 alpha strike with Action Surge would tear something apart. If you're high enough level, do it again on round 2.

Sure, you could do some crazy shenanigans with a Divine Soul Sorcerer 3x casting Sunbeam, but I don't think that'd outperform a Fighter hitting you 9 times with Advantage for two turns straight.

MrStabby
2019-04-03, 11:43 AM
Probably wizard. A level 9 and a level 8 spell in one round plus access to heavy armour and con saves is pretty solid. Something like mordenkeinen' faithful hound and wall of force is good enough and comes online at character level 12 (from memory the pooch doesn't need concentration...)

loki_ragnarock
2019-04-03, 12:26 PM
I'm surprised Sorcerer isn't coming up more.

Being able to twin an extra set of real spells in the round before throwing off a quickened cantrip sounds like a fun way to break the action economy.

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-03, 12:28 PM
Probably wizard. A level 9 and a level 8 spell in one round plus access to heavy armour and con saves is pretty solid. Something like mordenkeinen' faithful hound and wall of force is good enough and comes online at character level 12 (from memory the pooch doesn't need concentration...)

No, it does not.

Frozenstep
2019-04-03, 12:29 PM
I'm surprised Sorcerer isn't coming up more.

Being able to twin an extra set of real spells in the round before throwing off a quickened cantrip sounds like a fun way to break the action economy.

Doesn't the bonus action rule mean you need to quicken the leveled spell, then cantrip with any regular actions you take?

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-03, 12:31 PM
Doesn't the bonus action rule mean you need to quicken the leveled spell, then cantrip with any regular actions you take?

Well, any actions you take.

Basically, if you cast any spell with a Bonus Action, all other spells in the same turn must be a Cantrip. That's the full effect.

Casting 2x cantrips with Action Surge and 1x Bonus Action spell is fine.

Casting 2x spells with Action Surge is fine.

Casting 2x spells with Action Surge and 1x Bonus Action Cantrip is not fine.

loki_ragnarock
2019-04-03, 01:33 PM

Yeah, I might have underthought that. I recall that Action Surge was specifically highlighted as exempt from the bonus action rule in the errata, being the only way to throw down more than one spell in a round. I forgot that it did it by bypassing the bonus action rule entirely. So you'd have to content yourself with 4 instances of a real spell, rather than 4 and a cantrip.

EDIT
You can throw down a goodly many firebolts, I guess.

bid
2019-04-03, 09:15 PM
Combining those, level 17 with warlock 2 / fighter 2 / assassin 3 and more:
- hex BA + 8 EB = 8 * (2d10+2d6+5) autocrit for ~ 58 damage

Or grave 2 / fighter 2 / hexblade 1 / assassin 15:
- hex BA + CD grave + SA = (2d8+2d6+16d6+5) vulnerable autocrit for ~ 154 damage