PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 The Apocalypse Stone IC

paradox26
2019-04-03, 06:58 AM
The Princess Alyssia is sixteen at last, and the kingdom of Avalon rejoices. The ball you are attending is only the most public of the celebrations of the milestone birthday. Taxes have been lowered for the year, and a cask of ale has been sent to every village in the kingdom to celebrate. The ball itself is only for the kingdom's elite, with even ambassadors and nobles from neighboring kingdoms being invited, where they have links of some sort to the kingdom of Avalon. All is light and colour in the palace's ballroom, and joy virtually fills the air. The younger nobles present dance the night away in gay abandon, while their elders sit at their tables in well fed comfort, talking contentedly as they watch their juniors whirl past.

A succession of minstrels and jesters perform for the crowd in turn, entertaining them with outlandish acts and beautiful singing. There is one apparent minstrel who sits back, however. Although he has his lute beside him, he is not yet called upon to perform, and he has been placed in a position of high honour, only one table removed from that of the royal family.

The food has come from all over the kingdom and beyond, with everything from the simple, yet well cooked, meat dishes that the dwarves prefer, all the way up to the largely vegetarian concoctions that have been prepared by the elven chef for his own people's tastes. The drink is equally splendid, with dwarven ales, wines from distant lands, and mead from the far north.

razorback
2019-04-03, 09:30 AM
Gul made his way through the crowd, easing his way around sycophants and other hangers-on. Some who don't know or have heard of him look askance at the sword at his side, but the clean and well-kept blade doesn't look out of place with his formal dress. Of those he knows, he nods and smiles, making small talk when appropriate. While he didn't know the Princess he had met her father, once, and while he doubts that the King had any hand directly in the invitation, it was still a royal invitation and a slight this large would have repercussions. He sighed internally as he made his way to the food line. While taught to live the life an aesthetic, for the most part, he spent many a day living on grits and questionable meat he thought he would at least try some of the food of these courtiers bandied about might be worth a try. He grabbed two plates, putting tiny portions of everything, before moving to his assigned seat, relegated to the back. He looked about and noticed, a bit to his surprise, that the group around him were, for the most part, a steely-eyed group who moved with purpose. He guessed that most were soldiers or adventurers of note like himself. <Keep all the rabble in the back.> he thought to himself with a smirk. As one of the staff was walking by he took a glass of the wine. Though he had little taste for it, the water flavored with whatever fruit was too... light and fruity for his tastes. He alternated between the two, using the wine to mask the flavor of the water. After a time, others made their way to the table, some with and some without food. Several looked as if they had been dancing. Gul sat back as he noticed that the one minstrel hadn't performed yet. He didn't recognize him and turned to his table mates. "Do you know who that is?" he asked as he boorishly pointed at him. "Must be a performer of unusual talent, I suppose. I guess some suspense in what he is going to play, eh?" he says with a jovial smile.

If anyone is at Gul's table or if its an NPC, either works.

flappeercraft
2019-04-03, 09:58 PM
In through the doors comes Tane, at first glance not much of a spectacle yet under the trained eye certainly an oddity to look at. Obvious things first you notice he quite clearly is a Gnome, however his eyes present bright red irises pop out. Coming in fancy clothes he is nearly undistinguishable from the crowd but you notice a small lump in his back. Small enough to be concealed yet not small enough to be unnoticeable. His short black and spiky hair matching his outfit, looking like your average Gnome jock in fancy wear. As he comes in he purposely does not call attention to himself, passing nearly unnoticed by mostly everyone except the occasional friend, not many though, seemingly being a rather reserved person. The first thing he does after passing through the crowd is to serve himself some food and drink. He grabs a rather big plate that would have fit an Orc better and serves himself generously, most of the food being beef and a small side of pasta, accompanied with some water, clearly uninterested in any alcoholic drinks. As he goes back roughly the same show goes on, he lays low and comes back. After all, his job being one that requires stealth and being taught for his entire life to perfect that skill does influence one to include it in their everyday life. As he arrives in his table he sees someone already there, a human. As if instinctually he begins to analyze, the skills of his trade kicking in, after all, working as an Assassin makes one analyze everyone so as to know just how to kill them. He observes inconspicuously and notices the rather well built shape of the human, a respectable physique, likely that of a warrior considering his sword. Remembering he is not in his job, he relaxes and stops analyzing. He takes a small sip of his water. Realizing its not quite to his liking, he snaps his finger and speaks a single word in what seems like a rather deep voice for someone so small "Arcanus." He touches his glass and you see as it clearly becomes colder, the glass fogging up slightly. He looks towards the show, rather entranced by the singing until the human in his table initiates small talk. Tane listens attentively to what the human has to say and looks over at the minstrel. With what almost was an irrecognizably different voice from the one that pronounced his spell he responds "I do not to be entirely honest. Likely an artist considering his lute, however sitting in that table makes him clearly an important person." Tane thinks to himself for a second and then speaks up once again. "I'm betting its a Bard of sorts, after all who would be better at getting in a high position than someone that charismatic and with such abilities." He listens to what the human says right after and follows up with a question. "Want to bet on what kind of tune he will play? I'm betting its your stereotypical ball dance music." As he finishes that sentence, Tane realizes something. He did not yet know who he was talking to, he had not yet introduced himself, what kind of manners were those, he had to introduce himself out of respect. "I think we have not yet introduced ourselves. I'm Tane Talvik."

kinem
2019-04-03, 11:16 PM
Kobb d'Angelo had been only mildly surprised to receive the invitation to the Princess' ball; after all, he'd helped to defend Avalon on numerous occasions and was on good terms with many of the elite. The Princess is a nice enough young lady, and I wish her well, but the fact is … she didn't earn any honor by being born. Any other girl her age has done as much. I just hope she applies herself to learning how to play her role well for the people of Avalon.

Earlier that day he ate a special meal that he shared with some friends, and made his usual preparations. He wore a clean but relatively plain green outfit to the ball, and left his weapons in his room. Even so, with his feathered wings and handsome appearance, he was hard to miss in a crowd.

Heroes' Feast (Horn of Plenty): [roll0] temp hp; immune fear & poison; +1 attack & Will
Persistent (Detect Magic, Wraithstrike, Shield)
Mind Blank

His familiar, Rallen the Raven, is back at Rosevale Monastery and would help defend the place, if need be by using the Mirror of Opposition

Weapons left in his room bear his Arcane Mark

Kobb looks around for his friend Sharess, but hasn't yet seen her here. As he sees the other guests, he is able to tell which ones are decked out with magic, like he is. He dances with several of the finely dressed women, then takes a plate of roast beef, with plain water to drink along with it, and heads to a table to eat.

Now, he responds to his fellow guests. "Good to meet you, Tane, and you all. I'm Kobb. As for the minstrel, I think they're saving him for the finale."

razorback
2019-04-04, 07:12 AM
Gul extends his hand to the gnome then the winged human. "Gul, Gul Tamul." he says before turning to the minstrel in question. He pauses for a moment before turning back to the gnome. "Both, I think are worthy guesses." he says as he turns to his tablemates. "For me, I would put him as, after the king presents his daughter to the court, playing something... sweet that follows that line... something, I would hope, original and following the theme of her steps to womanhood. From there, the rest of the minstrels will probably play out the night while he sits back and enjoys the accolades." Tane and Kobb both sense a certain amount of disdain in his voice when he says 'sweet' but it fades a moment later.

flappeercraft
2019-04-04, 10:48 PM
Courteously yet somewhat awkwardly the Gnome returns the handshake, clearly not being very experienced in the social department by the sheer awkwardness of it. However you feel quite the strength in there, strength that would seem impossible for a gnome that size, closer to what you would expect from a Storm Giant than from a Gnome that is not even 4 feet tall. He then responds in a clearly less awkward way in a relaxed and comfortable tone "Nice to make your acquaintance Gul." He follows with a quick nod. Tane pauses for a brief moment before addressing the others. "Well, I guess we will find out later on. For now let's discuss something else to make time pass. For instance, what do you guys work in?"

kinem
2019-04-05, 11:50 AM
Kobb shakes hands with the others. These guys have magic on them for sure; people of note I would say. Odd that I have not heard of them before.

”I’m a warrior monk. As such, my primary tasks are self improvement and community service, which has often taken the form of helping to defend the kingdom. I would like to know what you do as well, Tane.”

razorback
2019-04-05, 01:08 PM
As Kobb answers Gul considers how to answer Tane. "I study and train at the Twilight Monastery. We honor Xan Yae and all that follows The Lady of Perfection. I teach the sword and some magic. I've been known to help the armies of Avalon in the past but I would guess, at my invite here, that my assistance has be inflated more than once, but I appreciate the interest that has been shown. I have met the king once, in passing, years ago but I doubt anything I had done warranted such attention. My guess is one of his generals feels he owes me some debt and thought to repay it with leveraging an invitation to this. While this isn't something I would normally attend, I shall respect the royal wishes."

kinem
2019-04-05, 01:48 PM
Kobb says ”Fellow monk, if you would like, you’d be welcome to visit with me at the Rosevale Monastery while you are in the area.”

razorback
2019-04-05, 02:00 PM
"High praise, but I am less a monk and more of a teacher and helper, to be honest.
I revere The Lady of Perfection but the life of an aesthetic is not mine, though I strive as best I can.
By the same token, please feel free to visit the Twilight Monastery. A guest such as yourself will find welcome and, perhaps, some respite from the world around us."

flappeercraft
2019-04-05, 06:07 PM
Tane listens attentively, actually rather interested on their jobs. Especially since once Tane had considered Monk training but decided against it. As they finish talking he chimes in. "Currently I'm working as a solo adveturer of sorts but I occasionally take a hitman job, although I generally review the case first before taking the job so as to not take on anyone the world would miss. Before you criticize me, while it may be a job many consider nasty, it's also a good way of finding about people who need to be gone to make the world better. I've even taken a target or two from the king."

kinem
2019-04-05, 09:26 PM
Kobb tells Tane "As a warrior, I know that sometimes violence is necessary to prevent greater tragedy. You made some good points, and I know that chastising you would likely accomplish nothing. But I must point out, that you should always review the case, not just usually. Even if the request comes from the king. The king seems like a good man, but sometimes those with power too easily convince themselves that the good of the people is the same as whatever adds to that power."

razorback
2019-04-06, 12:00 PM
"No judgement here. I have done such missions in the past. What the Scarlet Brotherhood has for a bounty on my head, I would not like to find out, and I would hope that you would take another job if it came to that." he says with a smile and a nod of his head as he visibly relaxed. While he realized quickly that they all had differing views of the world, he could sense they could have a debate of views without it being some courtier who had never been outside, let alone in battle. And these two had seen combat at, or beyond, the front-lines. These two had been in the trenches and knew the horrors of this life.

Elaraiah
2019-04-06, 05:18 PM
Sharess leans against the wall near the perimeter of the room; though many in the employ of the royal family have become accustomed to seeing the archon come and go, tonight the ball room is filled with faces she does not recognize, and even though she's sure many of them are upstanding respectable citizens, meeting an unexpected angelic judge at a royal festival would make anyone uncomfortable.

Spying her longtime compatriot Kobb socializing with a group of other attendees, Sharess smiles and begins to approach. Overhearing bits and pieces of conversation, she nods in affirmation at the monk's comments on prudence in decision-making. My friend speaks with wisdom beyond his years; tempering one's immediate judgement with concern for long-reaching consequences is an admirable, if difficult, trait, especially when it concerns the life... she pauses as she glances at Tane, ...or death of another. Let us hope that the princess will show such judgement in her future roles. My name is Sharess, servant of Bahamut and of the kingdom of Avalon. Well met, Tane and Gul...Kobb, it's a pleasure as always. She beams at the warrior-monk and clasps her hand firmly on his shoulder. The hall is filled with such wonderful music tonight; I never knew the artists of Avalon were so talented!

kinem
2019-04-06, 07:44 PM
Kobb grins. "Sharess! Wonderful to see you, as always, and thanks. This looks to be a great evening with friends old and new.

At some point, we shouldn't let this quality of dance music go to waste."

razorback
2019-04-06, 09:40 PM
Gul stands as Sharess makes her way to the table, giving her a small bow. "Welcome. Please sit and join us." he says as he wait for her to sit before taking his own seat. Between Kobb and Sharess, he smirks, never anticipating that he would be in such a situation. "Well, that may be true but I will let you two enjoy the music in that manner. I would prefer to sit and listen rather than sway and move to it."

paradox26
2019-04-07, 07:05 AM
At the height of the festivities, the minstrel, clad in bright motley, rises from his table and steps before the crowd. Gently strumming his lute, the entertainer calls loudly for attention.

"Lords and ladies, I beg thee attend my tale! For it begins with a question dear to all our hearts: Where do heroes come from? Some answer that they are chosen by fate, others that they were born like all the rest of us but tested in the fires of adversity. But whatever their origin, how shall we know them when they walk among us? By design of the gods themselves. Many boast of great deeds; many claim to be worthy of honour and praise; yet among these, sadly, are those who are but deceivers, not true heroes at all. Hear now a tale, which though brief gives answer to these questions. It is a story seemingly new, but in fact long forgotten. - perhaps by design of the gods themselves."

"Long ago, when all the lands we know were but the merest inklings in the thoughts of the very air, the gods assembled in their place of meeting. Here they asked the very questions I have posed to you: How are heroes to be made, and how shall we know those worthy of such distinction? A long time they debated, and argued, and discussed - all the gods great and small took part, for the subject was one of much interest to each and every one. After a time had passed that we cannot, with our mortal minds, truly comprehend, they agreed on how to separate heroic wheat from mundane chaff."

"The gods devised a trial that only the bravest, truest, and most worthy heroes could hope to pass. Together they raised a fabulous castle of marble and obsidian, bestowing upon it the curious power to move through the world. The castle appeared here one day, there the next, that none may know where and when it would travel again. Within it the gods placed a treasure, precious beyond any other object they had made before or have made since. Then they set fearsome monsters and ravenous beasts to guard the castle and its treasure, and to bar the way of all who would enter."

"Finally the gods did say unto one another, 'This shall be our pact. We shall utter no words of this place nor its treasure to any we believe the most worthy. To them we shall send a sign to seek this castle and its secrets, and whosoever among these finds it and gains its treasure shall deserve rewards befitting the divinely favoured. Thus shall the true heroes, those who deserve great honour and praise, distinguish themselves without doubt from those who merely pretend their worth.'"

"And matching thought to deed, so was it done. The castle yet moves about our world, hidden from the eyes of the unworthy, unto this very day. Only those whom the gods would test shall know its secrets, and only those who prove their worth in this divine trial shall reap its rewards. So shall we know our true heroes and honour them above all others."

Having spoken, the minstrel turns his gaze towards various heroes known to be present, and many in the crowd follow his gaze and also focus on their heroes of the land. Each of you feels his eyes upon you, and it becomes clear that your reputations have preceeded even those of you who prefer to keep a low profile.

kinem
2019-04-07, 08:35 AM
Kobb, like almost everyone present, listens attentively to the minstrel's tale.

Sense Motive if applicable [roll0]

"What an odd tale! Do you think it could have any basis in fact? Well, I for one have no desire to seek fame and praise, nor to receive them, but if we ever hear of those who passed such an odd test, I will be curious about them for sure."

flappeercraft
2019-04-07, 12:11 PM
Tane listens, interested in the tale. A black castle worthy of conquest by the mightiest of heroes? For someone who looked for fun and for treasure, that was perfect for Tane. Just for what he had been looking for. The rush and the reward, the two things he had been looking for. This was an opportunity they couldn't miss, no, one that Tane could not miss. As the stares went around and came to their entire table, Tane had decided. He had to do it, his inner adventurer craved for the treasure and his inner warrior for the thrill. However immediately, Tane noticed he needed some backup. This was likely something he would not be able to do on his own, after all if it was then so could many and if such were the case this dungeon wouldn't be that special would it? He needed to get help and the perfect candidates were sitting right next to him. As the stares vanish he begins to think of what to say and the perfect idea comes to mind. "Would you guys want to take a shot at that dungeon? There is no way this is a coincidence. This many powerful people brought into one place and sat down next to each other and to tell that tale. Plus, if the gods truly are behind this, then who are we to say no? If the gods create something like this such a thing must be very important and we cannot miss this calling. Lets set up some divinations to confirm if this is true."

razorback
2019-04-07, 01:33 PM
"Myths and the myths that spawned them, in all probability. I have no interest for myself, but its the Gods choosing, so if Xan Yae chooses me, then I will make every endeavor to bring forth her will." Gul says at Kobb's comment. When Tane comments, he ponders for a moment with a grin on his face. "Well, I can't speak for our two new aquaintances, but you and I have done things that would leave others doubting their status in the heavens, even if it was what we thought was for the greater good. I have no illusions that I am a hero.
Again, if Xan Yae choses me as her champion, then I will do my best to follow her will." Gul says with a small shake of his head.

kinem
2019-04-07, 03:10 PM
Kobb says ”The more I ponder the tale, the less sense it makes. Overcoming ferocious beasts is a test of strength, not of character. And slaying such guardians, who pose no threat to any but those who invade the castle, merely to obtain whatever they guard, would surely be an evil deed. True, not all gods are Good, but those who are not are seldom trustworthy.

And why have the great heroes of old neither passed this test, nor left any tales of failing to? For that matter, if it is such a secret, then how did the minstrel come to know all this?

That last question is the key, I think. He has not even told us his name. I would like to learn more about him. Perhaps he spun this tale in hopes of selling fake tips on where to find the alleged castle.

Sharess, what do you think? If any among us deserves to be called a hero, that would no doubt be you.”

Elaraiah
2019-04-07, 09:07 PM
Sharess ponders the minstrel's words carefully, but as his soliloquy continues, her face grows stern and questioning. For some time after he finishes speaking she remains in such a state; it isn't until Kobb mentions her name that she snaps out of her contemplation, suddenly aware of the whole room's eyes upon her and her dining guests and friends. Turning to Kobb, she speaks.

I am no more a hero than any dedicated servant of their lord; I do what is expected of me to the best of my ability, for the good of those the Platinum Dragon rules and, by nature, serves. I think, perhaps, that "champion" may be a better title for such individuals as would be "deemed worthy" by the gods, as our entertainer proclaims, for I have met champions of order and of madness, of virtue and of vice. Heroes, however, answer to a higher calling than that of combating guardian beasts and retrieving ancient artifacts for personal gain and power. Such pursuits are those of would-be legends, who seek fame and recognition above the impact their actions might have on those around them. If the gods truly did convene so long ago to establish such a trial, I am quite certain that many of the divines present would have objected to the trite and superficial nature of the final outcome, as presented by the minstrel. Unless, perhaps, there is more that is not being said... she finishes, as she turns from addressing the nobility to the entertainer himself.

kinem
2019-04-08, 07:53 AM
”Indeed” Kobb replies.

After the minstrel has finished his spiel and returned to his own table (assuming he does) and the associated hubbub has died down, Kobb heads over to try to speak with the odd minstrel. Since his Persistent Detect Magic is in effect, he also notes whether or not the man appears to be sporting an experienced adventurer’s array of magic items.

paradox26
2019-04-08, 08:49 AM
You sense that the minstrel seems to be telling the truth. He also only seems to be wearing a few weak magical items, such as might be worn by any lower level adventurer, or a man of reasonable wealth.

As you go to speak to him, to try to ascertain the truth of the matter, he greets you cheerfully. "I thought my tale might catch the ear of mighty heroes such as yourselves. I can see you have questions. I heard this story from my mentor, Derryn Fireharp. He was unable to be here himself, unfortunately, so I offered the tale in his stead, to inspire those who might prove to be the champions of the gods in time."

"I am not absolutely certain of the truth of the story, since it is so ancient. No one seems to know where the story originated, but it has the ring of truth. My mentor thought that the gods may have hidden the story so that they don't have too many of the unworthy wasting their lives trying to fulfill the quest."

kinem
2019-04-08, 11:56 AM
Kobb tells him ”Thanks, but I a merely a monk who has been privileged to serve in a time of military need. Kobb is my name. What is yours?

I must say that the tale seems unlikely to me. It doesn’t sound like a good way to find worthy heroes who can serve as good moral role models.

In any case, you are either telling a true tale that the gods want to keep secret, or a false tale about them. Either is dangerous and I advise you not to tell it anymore.

Unfortunate indeed that Master Fireharp could not be here, for I would like to meet him. Both to ask where he heard this tale, and because if he knows enough to mentor you, his music must be impressive indeed. Where does he teach?”

razorback
2019-04-08, 12:38 PM
Gul just nods and smiles at the minstrel, amused that the man thought him a hero, as Kobb asked the pertinent questions.

Knowledge check to have heard of Master Fireharp.
[roll0] assuming Local, +28

flappeercraft
2019-04-08, 10:09 PM
"It does seem more than likely that its fake or altered through time so as to make it not believeable. We could try divinations to see if its true, or backtrace from his master to see what we find. I generally don't work as diviner so I don't have any spell in my Spellbook that could help but I could buy a scroll of Contact Other Plane, learn it, and then cast it, of course if nobody has a better way."

paradox26
2019-04-09, 08:36 AM
The minstrel laughs, then says, "My old mentor does not teach, he simply travels and sings and tells his stories throughout the land. I did myself express to him my disbelief in the story, and he told me that it was whispered to him by a god in person. Perhaps the gods decided that now is a good time to have champions try once again to rise up. I don't really know. Perhaps they have tried a number of times in the past to do so, and only occasionally do they pass out such a story. Perhaps they were wary of losing too many powerful but false heroes in attempting it. I had never heard the tale before now, either. But I believe it to be a true story. My mentor is not one to openly lie about such things."

He hesitates, then adds, "I did once hear a story, and will tell it for the price of a good meal and flagon of fine ale should we ever meet on the road again. Around a thousand years ago, a noble and true knight named Lucius rode out of his castle, seeking to prove his heroic worth. He rode out with two young squires into the wilderness, and was never heard from again. Perhaps Lucius found the castle and ascended to the ranks of the gods, or perhaps he failed and was killed in some lonely corner of the world. I don't know if the story is true, but it wouldn't be the first time such a thing has happened. Maybe the gods really do test their champions in such a way."

kinem
2019-04-09, 09:03 AM
Kobb tells him ”Be all that as it may, I really would like to meet Master Fireharp. How can that be arranged?

Oh, and your name?”

paradox26
2019-04-09, 09:27 AM
The minstrel simply shrugs. "That is like asking on which plant a bee will land. He travels constantly, maintaining no home base. But you can always try to hunt him down for more information, but I have no idea how you might manage it, other than through magical means, which I must confess I do not understand the limits of," he says.

Then he adds, "My name is not important, but if you find him you can tell him that Eldrath sent you."

kinem
2019-04-09, 09:50 AM
”Thank you, Eldrath. I look forward to hearing more of your music and wish you luck in your career.”

Kobb returns to the table where the others are, or to wherever they can now talk in reasonable privacy, and tells them

”From what I gathered it is likely that his wandering mentor, Master Fireharp, has gone senile and begun to confuse fantasy with reality. I think the whole matter is best forgotten.”

razorback
2019-04-09, 10:05 AM
Gul, surprise on his face evident, looks on at Kobb's comment. "Do you really think that? The Gods are unknowable in intent. Perhaps his master did speak to a God. It wouldn't be the first time one did... and I doubt it would be the last."

kinem
2019-04-09, 10:27 AM
Kobb says ”Yes, but it’s rare, and it would mean that the nonsensical aspects of the tale could no longer be explained by the distortion caused by a long chain of retelling as we have assumed.

More common than gods talking to people, are fiends doing it for nefarious ends. Perhaps there is a real castle and some devil wishes to lead would be heroes to their doom there.

Well I know of one way to sort of talk to a god, and that is the casting of a Commune spell. My own magic has a strange aspect to it whereby if I am sufficiently inspired, usually only after a tough battle, I can produce much more diverse effects to a limited extent, a spell known as the Limited Wish. In that case I could have done it myself but alas I am currently not able to do so.

But if you are really curious, we could find a priest and pay him to cast it for us, perhaps.”

Elaraiah
2019-04-09, 07:55 PM
Hmm...an interesting course of action, to be sure. 'Tis true what Gul says; the gods do sometimes clothe themselves in a mortal form for a time so as to wander among their worshippers undetected. Yet Kobb also raises valid concerns, as fiends are known for enticing avaricious adventurers with the lure of wealth and power shrouded in secrecy. If you believe your magic can divine us an answer, I am willing to wait for the spell to be prepared.

flappeercraft
2019-04-09, 10:22 PM
Tane grins slightly seeing that they would go after this dungeon. Should it be real it would be everything he desires. All of this unfolding just like he wants. "So do we wait until tomorrow for your divination spell? If so where do we meet tomorrow? I want to see if I have some time to buy a couple scrolls."

kinem
2019-04-10, 03:18 AM
”If you mean me then I have not made myself clear. As I tried to explain the problem is not lack of preparation but of inspiration. Unless I have fought a bunch of demons or something it’s just not able to happen. So we will have to buy a scroll or hire a caster for the divination. And alas, I am low on spare funds, which a monk rarely needs” Kobb says.

flappeercraft
2019-04-10, 09:55 AM
"In that case we could find some mage to cast a Contact Other Plane, or maybe buy a scroll of the same magic. I could learn it and then cast it to not make it go to waste as well."

razorback
2019-04-10, 01:32 PM
Gul smirks at the others. "I'm guessing you all want to take up this... quest... to find this castle?" with his interest obviously piqued.

kinem
2019-04-10, 02:06 PM
Kobb shakes his head. ”Not at all. I’m curious to find out the truth of the matter, but I never said anything about finding the castle, which probably doesn’t even exist, and if it does, probably is a trap. And if the minstrel’s tale were completely true? Then let those who want fame try their hand, for I have no need for it.”

kinem
2019-04-11, 07:47 AM
Unless a better course of action is suggested, Kobb helps to find out what’s available locally in terms of mages, scrolls, and then priests capable of casting the appropriate spells.

flappeercraft
2019-04-12, 01:52 PM
Tane begins to look for anyone in the room that look Wizard-ish

razorback
2019-04-12, 04:23 PM
Gul sits back and watches the proceedings, enjoying the company at his table while taking in his surroundings.

Elaraiah
2019-04-13, 12:54 PM
Feeling more confident in her presence at the celebration, Sharess begins to meander around the dining hall, stopping here and there to greet a noble lord or lady whose attention she grabs. Stopping to sample some of the delicacies laid before the group, she strikes up a conversation with a nearby guest.

Quite a tale that minstrel told. It seems that the all-too-tired imagery of violent, avaricious heroes will live on through stories like those. Still, these legends do tend to spring up from a nugget of truth. Have you ever heard of such a castle before?

paradox26
2019-04-14, 10:03 AM
There are a number of people who look like mages in the hall, and others you have heard to be mages, though they avoid the standard uniform of mage robes, preferring court attire. They are mostly, from what you have heard, not particularly powerful. The kingdom is a place known for being friendly to mages, but does not have a university or magical college to raise its own spellcasters. However, the Royal Mage, Andrinor, is sitting at the table just one removed from that used by the royal family. He is known to be quite powerful, though he is an academic mage and certainly no adventurer, even in his long past youth.

Sharess gets an odd look from the man she is speaking to, and by the rest of the group he is talking to. "I pay little attention to the yammerings of minstrels, I am sorry. But the story doesn't sound especially familiar. There are similar sorts of tales told to children, but I have not heard any such story since I was last told one by my nanny, some forty years ago. But no, I don't think I have heard this particular tale before. This is a pretty sophisticated realm, so our minstrels normally sing of chivalry and courtly love rather than that sort of thing. They have to perform according to the tastes of their audience."

flappeercraft
2019-04-14, 07:57 PM
Tane considers contacting Andrinor and thinks for a bit about the possibility. After a couple of seconds of meditating, he decides to go for it and walks over towards the Royal Mage. As he arrives he greets the mage and proposes a trade. "Hello Royal Mage Andrinor, I'm Tane Talvik. I'm currently in search for a source to copy the Contact Other Plane spell from, might you have the spell in your repertoire? If that's the case I would be willing to offer you access to my spellbook to copy one spell of your choice in exchange for access to yours to copy it. Would you be willing to make such an exchange?"

paradox26
2019-04-19, 10:00 AM
The Royal Mage, a middle aged man, though his eyes suggest greater age than the wrinkles on his face do, looks up at you from where he is contemplating his drink. His eyes focus, and from the moment that takes, a sharp observer might think that he has had more to drink than he might normally. But when he speaks he seems to be sharp, and though his voice is deep and smooth, it is also controlled, without the slurring that might come from most men when they drink.

"I do have such a spell written somewhere in the depths of my spellbook. And a trade of like for like would be acceptable. But I will ask that you offer the spell you would like to trade. I find you can learn something of a person from such choices."

He pauses, then continues, "I assume you are trying to learn more of that damned jester's story? I would help you myself if I could. It interests me. I had never heard the tale before, but if I were a younger mage, and possessed of good stout companions, perhaps even I might be tempted to try for such a quest. Probably not, since it would be exceptionally dangerous, if it truly were a test designed to find the greatest of the gods' children. But maybe."

kinem
2019-04-19, 11:46 AM
Kobb finds Sharess.

”Seeing that Tane is taking care of business, shall we dance?”

flappeercraft
2019-04-19, 09:57 PM
Tane contemplates his choices for a second until he comes to a conclusion of what spell he should offer. "My exchange offer will be for Rary's Arcane Conversion. It lets you change any spell you have prepared for any spell of the same or a lower tier that you know. It's a universal spell so even if you are a specialist you should have no problem using it."

As the wizard continues his sentence, Tane listens and he then responds. "You are in the right, everyone in my table was intrigued by the tale and we want to research further and tackle the castle if it's real. While you might not be in your prime physically, I bet you are mentally, and that's all that matters for casters like us. Who cares about how old you are when you're a caster and you have someone who will do the physical aspect while you cover them with magic aid. We are not a closed group and if you are interested we would be glad to have you come with us."

razorback
2019-04-20, 08:47 PM
As the group of tablemates disperses, Tane wandering off to talk to the court mage and the other two dancing, Gul leans back in his chair. Adjusting his sword, he takes a bite of the mutton with the basil sauce, savoring it for a moment. He watches and wonders if anything will become of this tale and the wild quest for hero's. He had no illusions that he would be called a hero in anyone's' book, let alone his own, but he had been a champion of Xan Yae for some time. With only a small hint of arrogance, he knew he had a mix of skills and talents that were useful in just about any situation. If The Lady of Perfection had picked him again he would answer the call. If not and he had not other pressing business, he might still tag along. Relaxing just a hair, he allowed himself to enjoy the festivities, alien as they were to him, and watch as others engaged in their merriment.

paradox26
2019-04-22, 06:21 AM
"An interesting, and wise, choice of spells," Andrinor says. "Your offer is acceptable to me. I will have a copy of the spell brought in here for you. I am sure you will not wish to wait, and I can have an apprentice get the spell from my chambers while we wait."

He gestures at a younger mage in court robes to approach, He leans in and whispers at some length to the younger man, who quickly disappears through a doorway and up to, presumably, the mage's laboratory or study. While he waits, he comments, "As for your offer, it is a generous one. To be given the chance to become champion of a god. But duty is a high calling, as well. And my first duty is to my Royal Lord, and to the Kingdom. I must remain here, and oversee that which has been placed into my hands to protect. But if you do become champions of the gods, please do think well of me."

A few minutes later, as some wait and others dance, the apprentice returns with an elaborately decorated scrollcase. He hands it over to Tane with a slight, curt but correct, bow. Upon checking, you see that it contains a single scroll, and the name of the spell is written across the top, confirming it as the one you were after.

flappeercraft
2019-04-22, 10:45 AM
Tane thinks for a second once again before reaching a conclusion of what to answer. "I don't have a copy of the spell as a scroll. However I could lend you my spellbook to make a copy. Since we are copying spells from each other we might as well just copy them together and see if we can share a couple more spells with each other. After all, expanding ones repertoire is always beneficial."

paradox26
2019-04-22, 11:08 AM
Andrinor smiles, but shakes his head. "A mage's spellbook is like the inside of his mind, and must be carefully guarded. I fear that I cannot allow full access to my spellbooks. I can see the benefit to you of the spell you requested, but beyond that would be offering secrets for free which would normally be paid for," he says. "I am sure you have sufficient spells in your own spellbook to permit you to pass whatever test the gods seem to have inspired you to undertake."

"As for the spell you offer me, I can get my apprentice to copy it out for me. He could do with the practice at scribing scrolls. He will need to master that before he finishes his apprenticeship."

He gestures, and the apprentice hurries back over from where he is standing by the wall, awaiting further instructions. The young man bows to you once more, and awaits your instructions about how and where he should copy the spells, since he was standing close enough to have overheard this discussion.

flappeercraft
2019-04-22, 07:15 PM
Tane smiles, seemingly disappointed he was not able to get the Royal Mage to come along or more spells, regardless he was still more than happy enough of getting this new spell. He bows down in gratitude and begins to take his leave but not before saying the following. "It has been a pleasure to do business Royal Mage. Should you change your mind on joining us just send me a magical message."

Tane begins to leave and looks over at the Apprentice. "Wait for me here, I have a couple companions I have to notify about my departure. Right after we leave to my Magnificent Mansion and begin to work."

Tane begins to look around for his companions and notifies them of his departure and proposes they meet the day after, specifically 24 hours from now, on a specific corner in the north of the main plaza of the city they currently are on. For quick location he would raise a stick which he would color orange via Prestidigitation.

Tane goes back to the Apprentice. "Lets go, hold on to my hand and hold your breath until we are at the mansion." Tane stretches his hand and inhales deeply, as soon as the Apprentice is ready he says a word where Arcane Power surges right through the entirety of his body and into that of the Apprentice. "Teleport." As soon as he finishes his word they both appear inside a small air pocket deep underground. A 10ft in all dimensions cube surrounded entirely by earth. As they arrive Tane lets go of the Apprentice's hand and begins to cast another spell immediately. His hands weave complicated sequences of signs and finishes off with two word incantation in draconic, the language of magic. "Magnificent Mansion." He opens the door and invites the Apprentice in. He begins to breathe once again. "There are four rooms here. This is the studio where we will be copying the spells, in front is the kitchen if you get hungry, to the left is my room and to the right yours should you decide to stay overnight, each room of course has a bathroom included. If you wish we could exchange a couple of spells other than the trade I made with your master. What do you think?"

paradox26
2019-04-23, 07:22 AM
The young apprentice introduces himself as Randal, and offers a grin at the offer of trading spells. "I am sorry, good sir. I do not have my spellbook here. Besides, as my Master told you, it is not advisable for a mage to give away spells. Plus, my Master is teaching me many of his spells. And my own spells are still quite weak, and would be unlikely to help you a great deal with whatever task you are undertaking."

He then starts to head towards the work chamber, saying, "I will start at my work now, so that I can be out of your hair as quickly as possible." With that, he disappears into the chamber and starts work.

kinem
2019-04-23, 07:50 AM
Kobb always impresses on the dance floor, and the effect is more than doubled if Sharess is dancing with him. One might think that large feathered wings would make the motions awkward but instead they add to the show, flexing and dipping in perfect time to the music. As the dance ends he gives a slight bow to his partner. ”Always a pleasure.”

Before Tane leaves to scribe the spell he tells the gnome ”Very well. I advise you to prepare the spell at least thrice tomorrow. We will need to verify answers from the first casting as it can be unreliable, and the answers we get may raise more questions. We can discuss tomorrow what to ask. In fact we can have dinner tomorrow courtesy of my Horn of Plenty and discuss it then prior to casting the divinations.”

razorback
2019-04-23, 11:48 AM
As Tane comes back and speaks of his plan, Gul's face is neutral though, internally he is a bit surprised. <I guess this quest is... becoming a quest.> he thinks to himself.
"It seems as if Xan Yae wills it... I will see you tomorrow. It gives me a good reason to stop drinking this wine. Its really not great and was probably purchased more for the price of the bottle rather than the taste inside." he says. He spends the rest of the night speaking to several other old aquaintances he runs into, leaving just before midnight, to rest.

In the morning, he prepares himself, gathering his material before making preperations with his order before moving back to the city at the appointed time at the appointed spot, looking for the orange signal.

flappeercraft
2019-04-23, 12:15 PM
"A shame, while spellbooks are personal I personally have seen many a wizard who are more than willing to open up to learn more spells, myself included." Tane begins to work on learning Contact Other Plane and goes to sleep right after the Apprentice is done and left back in the castle. When he wakes up he has the Mansion's Servants make him breakfast while he prepares his spells.

Tane has Spellcraft high enough to auto-succeed on the spellcraft to learn the spell and skill checks don't fail automatically on Nat 1.

kinem
2019-04-24, 08:00 AM
Kobb converses with various guests, some of whom he knows from working with the military, and dances with a few more ladies before calling it a night.

Sharess told him that she had another matter to deal with the next day, and while it might be resolved quickly, it might turn into a time consuming quest in itself, but revealed few details. So Kobb is not sure if she will be able to get in on the investigation of the minstrel’s tale, but since it is by no means a pressing matter and the other two seem highly competent, he does not worry about it.

The next morning he exercises and bathes, and casts his usual set of long term spells. He spends the day touring the palace and the city. As evening comes he heads to the meeting with Tane. He looks for the orange stick; of course his own wings make Kobb easy to spot in a crowd.

flappeercraft
2019-04-24, 06:27 PM
Tane arrives about 10 minutes early to the location and starts to fly a couple feet above the ground at the designated area. Revealing that he actually has wings in his back. As promised he waves a stick that is some 3ft long and now orange after a casting of Prestidigitation. He waits for the rest of the group to arrive.

As the rest of the group arrives he then asks. "Ok, so now that we have gathered, I have 3 castings of Contact Other Plane ready. As such we have enough to ask up to 30 questions but we must decide them right now. What do you guys think?"

kinem
2019-04-24, 08:14 PM
Kobb says "Excellent. I suggest we go to my quarters and discuss it over dinner. In any case we'll want some privacy."

If the group does have the suggested dinner it consists of excellent food and drink from Kobb's Horn of Plenty, which provides a few magical benefits as well.

When the discussion gets down to business Kobb says "Tane, I take it that you are confident that you can cast the spell safely, even when asking those beings most likely to be of help.

Since there are up to three castings, we can discuss the results after each casting and decide on questions for the next one.

To start with, here are my suggestions."

(ooc: As given in the OOC)

flappeercraft
2019-04-24, 09:58 PM
Tane follows to Kobb's quarters and gladly eats, once again showing tremendous hunger that should not fit his body. As the discussion comes around he answers "Ok that seems to be a good idea, in that case I'll start since there is a 10 minute casting time." When everyone finishes, Tane begins to cast the spell and starts with the following questions in that order. The questions after that are planned but depend on the answers to these.

1. Did the gods create a castle intended to serve as a challenge for people to demonstrate that they are Real Heroes?
2. Was the answer to my previous question true?
3. Was the answer to my previous question true? (only if the previous two have conflicting answers)

I'm asking 3 times since 1 we get nothing and with 2 if they oppose each other we get nothing. If we get 3 then any opposition will be 2-1 so the side with 2 is the likeliest to be correct.

paradox26
2019-04-26, 02:37 PM
Tane feels himself swirling away on the wings of the spell. His mind reaches out to contact the outer planes, in the hope of contacting a god directly, rather than simply a servant. He feels contact being made, and asks the first question about the castle. But there is a burning sensation, and no answer is forthcoming, as if the god has removed their mind from the contact, or is simply unable to answer the question without actually being in a position to answer it one way or the other. The spell comes to an abrupt end, and Tane finds his consciousness dropping back into his body with a sickening lurch. Although he has heard that it is possible for the spell to fail in a way such as this, he has never known of it as anything other than a story, since the gods and outside creatures usually are willing or able to answer such questions from powerful mages.

If Tane attempts the spell again, the same thing happens.

flappeercraft
2019-04-26, 11:19 PM
Tane awakes from the trance confused. "Ok, I'm pretty sure this is not supposed to happen but there was no answer and I was kicked out of the trance."

kinem
2019-04-27, 10:02 AM
Kobb says "Huh, not what I expected, Tane.

Off the top of my head I can think of two possibilities.

One, the story is true, but the gods don't consider you worthy to pursue it, probably because of your history of killing for hire.

Two, the story is false, and some evil god or demon is using powerful magic to prevent us from uncovering the truth. That would only make sense if it's a trap.

In any case, without divination spells, we have no way to find such a place. So it appears that, at least for now, our little quest is over before it began."

flappeercraft
2019-04-27, 02:56 PM
"There is a third option, the gods want us to do it ourselves. No hero worth his salt would stop because the easy method fails would he?"

kinem
2019-04-27, 03:20 PM
Kobb asks "What do you mean? Find it ourselves? How?"

flappeercraft
2019-04-27, 04:04 PM
Kobb asks "What do you mean? Find it ourselves? How?"

Tane answers "We can find the original source of the story. For that we need to search for this teacher of the minstrel from last night. Or divinations that do not rely on outside help. For example, scrying. It's not in my arsenal but its not that high level of a spell, we might be able to access it in the local church or find a scroll of it in the market. Or perhaps one of you knows it."

Tane stops for a second before adding. "On the subject of spells knowledge, anyone else here that is a wizard? If we are going to be on the same team it could be useful to have open spellbooks with each other and let the others learn. If we do manage to find more on this castle it certainly would be useful to expand spell variety for all of us."

kinem
2019-04-28, 08:48 AM
Kobb says "Even if we found that teacher, he probably couldn't tell us much more than we already know. He thinks a god fed him the story, but it could just as well be a demon.

Tell you what we can do though. Cast your spell again. Ask first about the minstrel Eldrath, then about his teacher Fireharp, and finally about the mysterious one who whispered to him. My coppers say that in the latter case, your spell will again fail.

And it's best to leave it at that, I think. Don't let this become an obsession. Perhaps that was the nature of the trap, to distract us from more important work.

Oh, and my own magic comes from my blood, not books."

razorback
2019-04-28, 01:03 PM
As the others speak back and forth, Gul considers what they know, what they were and weren't able to gather, and the implications of each. "Each of these thoughts carry various
outcomes, each based on their premise. Though I doubt that a demon would go to such lengths and the gods would obsure it in this fashion, an intelligent devil might go to such lengths to gather what it would need in a winding path such as this. But, a hero going straight to the gods for answers on a quest to... well, find heros, is a bit against the rules, I agree. If this is a path the gods have set... well, their thoughts and powers are above our understanding. I agree with Kobb. Eldrath, who set this path before us, and his teachers before him are the likely and most probably way to get on the right path." he says and sketches a slight bow to the group.

flappeercraft
2019-04-28, 10:53 PM
Tane begins to cast Contact Other Plane once again to ask about the minstrel and his teacher to see if it connects. He starts asking where the minstrel was.

paradox26
2019-04-29, 01:02 PM
Contact seems to be established quite easily, and you are told that the bard is on the road to the next town over from the capital, headed south.

According to the spell description, you need to contact a specific type of creature according to which plane you seek to contact, which affects your chances of success. Which plane are you seeking to contact? I assume an actual god? Also, remember to ask specific questions, though I understand this first one was just to see if the spell worked properly.

flappeercraft
2019-04-29, 03:57 PM
Contact seems to be established quite easily, and you are told that the bard is on the road to the next town over from the capital, headed south.

According to the spell description, you need to contact a specific type of creature according to which plane you seek to contact, which affects your chances of success. Which plane are you seeking to contact? I assume an actual god? Also, remember to ask specific questions, though I understand this first one was just to see if the spell worked properly.

Tane auto succeeds on the check against contacting a Greater Deity so yes he contacts a deity. By default this is what I will choose.

Tane follows up with the following questions

1. Where is Fireharp?
2. Is the answer to the previous question true?
3. Was Fireharp taught by someone else or is he self taught?

Any questions after that depend on the answers

paradox26
2019-04-30, 12:45 PM
The god answers the questions in order.

First, they say, "I do not know."

The second answer is, "That is the truth."

The final answer is a little surprising, in light of the unhelpful answers so far. "Although I do not know of his location, I have heard of him, and he was taught by a strange old sage, from what I have been able to learn."

flappeercraft
2019-04-30, 10:00 PM
The god answers the questions in order.

First, they say, "I do not know."

The second answer is, "That is the truth."

The final answer is a little surprising, in light of the unhelpful answers so far. "Although I do not know of his location, I have heard of him, and he was taught by a strange old sage, from what I have been able to learn."

Tane ponders the answers. The god did not know the location of this mortal yet he knew about him having a master. He found it weird that a deity would know such a specific detail and not an easily divinable question but that was irrelevant. It seemed to Tane that his best choice was to poke with a stick at the knowledge that the deity had of this master, being that he would not be able to help them find fireharp. Since he also knew he could not ask about the story, he rendered those choices pointless. So Tane put the next three questions that he had.

"My next question is what is the name of this sage? In the acase you do not know his name, an identifying feature suffices."

After that question has been answered Tane then asks

"In what specific time period did this Sage teach Fireharp?"

Finally Tane asks the deity

"Where can we find this sage?"

paradox26
2019-05-01, 07:34 AM
The god responds more promptly this time.

"The sage's name is Thormose. I do not know when he taught Fireharp, because I cannot track him. And the Sage is to be found in a hovel in the village of Harn."

flappeercraft
2019-05-02, 03:52 PM
Tane begins to think quickly. He had 3 questions left to ask from this god unless he needed to cast the spell again, he wonders, perhaps what they were chasing after was a red herring. As such he decides to confirm some stuff.

Merely 2 seconds after being answered he states. "I have decided which are my final three questions. The first one is if any detail that the minstrel told us is wrong. The next is in which specific questions did you lie to me if any. My last question is if your previous answer is true."

paradox26
2019-05-07, 06:13 AM
There is a momentary pause, before the voice returns. "Everything the bard says, he believes to be true. Beyond that, I cannot say. I have not lied to you, and that is the truth."

flappeercraft
2019-05-07, 04:54 PM
Tane begins to think on what to do with that information. His 10 questions were over and the connection ended. Tane shares the questions and answers he is given in exact words to what seems to be his new party. "Ok, so we have that. Anyone want any more questions or should we save them for later?"

kinem
2019-05-07, 08:36 PM
Kobb says "There is a spell called Mind Blank which protects from divinations and enchantments. I cast it myself. It's not normally a Bard spell but a skilled Bard who learns the way of the Sublime Chord could master it. Perhaps Fireharp has done so. That could explain why your spell couldn't help us find him, but it doesn't explain why the story is off limits, and that is the big question.

Honestly, the new information from that casting doesn't seem very useful. We could probably find Fireharp's old trainer, but he probably wouldn't know where Fireharp himself is, nor anything about the castle story. I guess though, that you will want to try anyway, Tane."

flappeercraft
2019-05-07, 10:56 PM
Kobb says "There is a spell called Mind Blank which protects from divinations and enchantments. I cast it myself. It's not normally a Bard spell but a skilled Bard who learns the way of the Sublime Chord could master it. Perhaps Fireharp has done so. That could explain why your spell couldn't help us find him, but it doesn't explain why the story is off limits, and that is the big question.

Honestly, the new information from that casting doesn't seem very useful. We could probably find Fireharp's old trainer, but he probably wouldn't know where Fireharp himself is, nor anything about the castle story. I guess though, that you will want to try anyway, Tane."

"It's not where I wish we would start but it's all we've got. We might as well try, perhaps they remain in contact or something or the gods gave the story to the teacher aswell. We don't exactly have much to go off of right now."

kinem
2019-05-08, 07:54 AM
Kobb says ”Even if the guy was told the same story, or even if we find Fireharp - we’d still have no way to verify the story or to find the castle. And that’s if we get lucky, since most likely the old sage can’t help us even that much. It’s a wild goose chase.

However, if you feel the need to chase this goose, I will come along. For one reason: Tane, you need to channel your energy on a constructive path. Perhaps having companionship like ours will help. Meditation can help anyone to find some peace and we can try that together perhaps.

So that said, it looks like we’re heading to Harn. Surely we can get directions from some scribe here at the palace.

Let’s leave in the morning. We can meet here for breakfast.”

If there are no objections, Kobb will find the directions, serve a meal from the Horn of Plenty for breakfast the next morning, then head out with Tane and Gul.

flappeercraft
2019-05-08, 06:03 PM
Kobb says ”Even if the guy was told the same story, or even if we find Fireharp - we’d still have no way to verify the story or to find the castle. And that’s if we get lucky, since most likely the old sage can’t help us even that much. It’s a wild goose chase.

However, if you feel the need to chase this goose, I will come along. For one reason: Tane, you need to channel your energy on a constructive path. Perhaps having companionship like ours will help. Meditation can help anyone to find some peace and we can try that together perhaps.

So that said, it looks like we’re heading to Harn. Surely we can get directions from some scribe here at the palace.

Let’s leave in the morning. We can meet here for breakfast.”

If there are no objections, Kobb will find the directions, serve a meal from the Horn of Plenty for breakfast the next morning, then head out with Tane and Gul.

Tane responds "Well, I would not want to bother you guys and you might already have plans. To be entirely honest I'm embarking on this since I have currently no contracts to fullfill and have to do something. It's not for anything really constructive. Yes, I could go ahead and leave it but at this point I have nothing better to do other than just go and study up some more spells or train. I'll keep at it but if you give me some better option then I'll follow along."

kinem
2019-05-08, 07:48 PM
Kobb says "The kingdom is at peace right now, which I consider a good thing, but we do still have enemies - they just haven't actively made trouble lately. History suggests that could change at any time, so we have to be vigilant, but also patient.

I can take a few days away from here right now, that should be fine. If there's an emergency they can Send for me.

So, as I said, I'm in."

flappeercraft
2019-05-08, 11:25 PM
"Well I guess if that should happen at least with this we will learn more skills on investigation, could be useful in an information war. So, how do we proceed? Do we visit the sage?"

kinem
2019-05-09, 07:28 AM
”Indeed.”

OOC: Time to move on ...

flappeercraft
2019-05-09, 06:17 PM
Tane says "In that case, everyone hold on. I'll cast a Greater Teleport over there. However any long distance travel of the like will have to wait until tomorrow, I only have one more left to spare which I plan to use on the return trip."

kinem
2019-05-10, 07:17 AM
"Alright, though I wouldn't think you have enough of a description to go by, yet. We can ask some folks here if they know the place if need be" Kobb says.

razorback
2019-05-10, 04:49 PM
Gul sits and nods as everything with the magic goes on. He has little input, never having delved deeply into divination magic of this sort. He finds it all a bit fascinating if tad escoteric, but he nods on in agreement nonetheless. "Like Tane, I'm between assignments. Bit of a vacation, you could say. Even if this turns into a goose chase... well, it's better than sitting around trying to catch fish, I suppose. I'm in if you'll still have me." he says with a bit of a grin.

Sorry guys, work has been a bit crazy and will be for the next couple of weeks. The person who helps me went out on medical so I'm doing two peoples worth of work.

paradox26
2019-05-15, 05:44 AM
The teleportation magic appears to work as intended. Or at least, it brings you to a very poor looking village. The hovel before you looks much like all the others in this part of town: Dirty, poor, and about as inviting as a pigsty on a hot day. Where the door should be hangs a dirty strip of dark cloth; all the windows facing the street are likewise blocking any glimpse of what might be inside. Why would a Sage of any reputation choose to stay in such a filthy dungheap?

razorback
2019-05-15, 02:16 PM
As space distorts about the group and starts to coalesce into something, Gul's instincts kick in without him realizing it, he stance lowers slightly as his hand goes to his hilt before he visibly relaxes with a smile "Old habits and all that..." he says as he moves about, looking about. No disgust crosses his face, as he has lived in much more decrepit places than this when on assignment and it bothered him not in the least. "So, old sage has given up on the world? Can't say I'd blame him." with that he moves to the door and knocks with a casualness that the others see the underlying sure and smooth stepping that a novice would fail to recognize.

flappeercraft
2019-05-15, 06:45 PM
Tane looks around the village seemingly recognizing the scenery but not too well to be entirely honest to himself. He had been there once before but only passing through. As they get there he speaks up as he looks around and looks over at his new party members. "Well, let's begin to search for him."

kinem
2019-05-15, 07:27 PM
Kobb says ”This is strange. Perhaps the old sage took a vow of poverty. I know some monks who did that. Not my style but I can see an appeal to a simple life.

I think our best bet is simply to ask around for him.”

paradox26
2019-05-20, 05:29 AM
As you ask around for the sage, you are immediately directed towards a very scruffy looking hut. You can hear a steady, if faint, scratching sound inside. Moving aside the cloth door reveals a single dingy room with a dirt floor, lit only by a tallow candle, which gutters and is nearly extinguished by the inflowing breeze. The candle sits on a cheap wooden table, behind which is the only other piece of furniture in the place: an equally cheap and flimsy chair. Bent over the table and writing with a quill in a stained, leatherbound book is an incredibly ancient man. He has the whitest and most unruly hair you have ever seen, and his face is a leather patchwork of wrinkles. About his frail body he wears a greasy, shabby old robe, badly mended in numerous places.

The old man munches absentmindedly on the end of a pair of thick, wire-rimmed spectacles and initially pays no attention to his visitors. In a querulous voice he mutters that he will be right with you. He makes a few more marks in the book before looking up, an expression of surprise passing across his wizened features. Then, looking past you - as if expecting someone else to come in the door at any second - he slams the book closed and clutches it to his chest. Sputtering and stammering, he demands to know just who you are and why you have come.

kinem
2019-05-20, 04:48 PM
Kobb tells the old man "Hello, sir. I am Kobb D'Angelo, and these are my associates Gul and Tane. You are Thormose the sage, are you not?"

If he agrees Kobb continues

"I hope the day finds you well. We are here to find out more about a former student of yours, Derryn Fireharp, and a curious tale told to us by a student of his, Eldrath, about a castle supposedly built by the gods as a test for heroes.

We were unable to locate Mr. Fireharp, but we found out that you taught him. If you are willing, please tell us about him - his character and appearance, possible whereabouts, how long ago you taught him, and when you last saw him. Also, if you are aware of the tale about the castle, please tell us what you know about that.

If you wish to hear tales in exchange, I would be happy to oblige, sir."

flappeercraft
2019-05-20, 08:44 PM
Tane listens waiting for a response since Kobb has covered everything he wanted to ask for the moment.