PDA

View Full Version : Entire party of Conquest Paladins

CTurbo
2019-04-03, 10:01 AM
I just had a random thought about how it would be to have a whole party full of Conquests. Other than the obvious lack of diversity, which could be partially negated with different races, backgrounds, and feats,... I think it would be a ridiculously strong party. Do you think it would be fun to be a part of or would it be a bad idea?

I don't plan on trying it or anything I just like the discussions. A Conquest Paladin is high on my list of next characters though.

Max_Killjoy
2019-04-03, 10:03 AM
I just had a random thought about how it would be to have a whole party full of Conquests. Other than the obvious lack of diversity, which could be partially negated with different races, backgrounds, and feats,... I think it would be a ridiculously strong party. Do you think it would be fun to be a part of or would it be a bad idea?

I don't plan on trying it or anything I just like the discussions. A Conquest Paladin is high on my list of next characters though.

As I understand Conquest Paladins... this is a setup for intra-party conflict. After all, only one can rule!

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-03, 10:08 AM
Conquest Paladins are strong...against anything they're strong against.

Notably, they have a hard time dealing with anything that's immune to fear, or anything that has good Wisdom saves. More Conquest Paladins would only make that effect MORE of a big deal.

My recommendation is to fit in a Devotion (pretty hard, but strong) or an Oathbreaker (might hinder the strength of the team based on its auras) to take care of any Undead.

KorvinStarmast
2019-04-03, 10:15 AM
Upon reading the thread title, I began to chuckle as I envisioned a group of five alpha males getting all in each others' way. Movie with Arnold Schwarzneger, Sylvester Stallone, te al: The Expendables (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1320253/).

CTurbo
2019-04-03, 10:26 AM
The 5 alpha male aspect is one of the reasons I think this would be a lot of fun to do. They'd all be trying to one up each other lol.

Yeah an enemy with fear immunity would definitely hurt, but even without the fear they would still be Paladins which is still pretty strong by itself.

Obviously this wouldn't be a perfectly optimized party. May be fun for a short one shot.

Quoz
2019-04-03, 10:59 AM
It's worth noting that the fear aura only effects creatures that are afraid of you, not just suffering from the frightened condition. There wouldn't be a terrible amount of synergy, and it would be irritating to keep track of all of the overlapping fear effects.

Now a party with many different oaths of paladins would be interesting. I'm currently playing a Conquest paladin with another player playing Ancients in the party. We work well together in combat, and lots of discussion and development in roleplay. If we were to add a vengeance and redemption to the mix...

NecessaryWeevil
2019-04-03, 11:12 AM
Could be fun but not especially optimized. In addition to the other problems, once one pally has applied their fear effect to a creature, the auras of the rest of the party are wasted.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-04-03, 12:34 PM
Yeah an enemy with fear immunity would definitely hurt, but even without the fear they would still be Paladins which is still pretty strong by itself.
Agreed-- four Paladin's launching Divine Smites will obliterate anything they can reach.

It's the "they can reach" part that gets troublesome. Paladins are second-tier archers and have very little in the way of utility magic.

Perlywhirly
2019-04-03, 12:47 PM
Obligatory “just dip Hexblade” covers your range issues. Oh goodness.

saucerhead
2019-04-03, 12:49 PM
Ha! Except the Soradin or Padlock get sneered at for their lack of commitment. Often referred to as the Oathless.

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-03, 12:51 PM
Obligatory “just dip Hexblade” covers your range issues. Oh goodness.

Mountain Dwarf means you can afford to put 11 into Strength to cover Paladin multiclassing requirements.

1 level into Hexblade.

Now you only need Charisma and Constitution. Pretty solid strategy for a SAD Paladin, especially since the Conquest Paladin, more than any other, needs a lot of Charisma.

Wildarm
2019-04-03, 01:33 PM

Good control, durability and nova potential. I think you're going to get some weird effects from overlapping fear effects which is a bit in-efficient. You can only lock down enemies you personally make sh*t their pants with your aura. A bunch of 1/2 elves that dip a warlock level should be fine for skill variety and range. Totally doable but just don't expect them to know anything requiring an Int check. They sweet talk or threaten the bookworms into telling you important 'facts'.

Guy Lombard-O
2019-04-03, 01:56 PM
As I understand Conquest Paladins... this is a setup for intra-party conflict. After all, only one can rule!

Very good point, but you messed up the quote: "There can be only ONE!"

Misterwhisper
2019-04-03, 01:57 PM
I don't see why they would get in each other's way so long as they all had the same goal.

Conquest is not about the one single paladin's way of thinking, they could believe that their country/religion/order/whatever is the only way and all else should be eliminated.

The issue is going to be fear immune enemies and there are quite a few of them, well that an the normal lack of ranged options.

Vogie
2019-04-03, 02:28 PM
I don't see why they would get in each other's way so long as they all had the same goal.

Conquest is not about the one single paladin's way of thinking, they could believe that their country/religion/order/whatever is the only way and all else should be eliminated.

The issue is going to be fear immune enemies and there are quite a few of them, well that an the normal lack of ranged options.

Precisely. They're an advance party, heralds for a legion, the Black Order of Thanos. I'd probably allow or straight-up request that there is a little variety, so they're not all just Paladins or Lockadins. You can even use Typical Tropey combinations

The Fast One has a 2-3 level dip in Rogue
The Ranged One has at least 2 levels in Warlock (for Agonizing Blast and 2x Cause Fear/SR)
the Mean One has 3 levels in Zealot Barbarian
The Young, Flashy One has 3-5 levels of Swords Bard
The One in Charge has 1-2 levels of Order Cleric or 3 of Battlemaster Fighter

KorvinStarmast
2019-04-03, 04:09 PM
Precisely. They're an advance party, heralds for a legion, the Black Order of Thanos. I'd probably allow or straight-up request that there is a little variety, so they're not all just Paladins or Lockadins. You can even use Typical Tropey combinations

The Fast One has a 2-3 level dip in Rogue
The Ranged One has at least 2 levels in Warlock (for Agonizing Blast and 2x Cause Fear/SR)
the Mean One has 3 levels in Zealot Barbarian
The Young, Flashy One has 3-5 levels of Swords Bard
The One in Charge has 1-2 levels of Order Cleric or 3 of Battlemaster Fighter

Ok, don't tell me: you're working on the screen play? :smallbiggrin:

Snowbluff
2019-04-03, 05:50 PM
Agreed-- four Paladin's launching Divine Smites will obliterate anything they can reach.

It's the "they can reach" part that gets troublesome. Paladins are second-tier archers and have very little in the way of utility magic.

This is my main concern. Paladins are strong up close, but very weak at range. On top of that, their spell lists won't be diversified as they're all the same Oath of paladin.

Maybe the saving grace will be Find Greater Steed for flight or magic initiate for a ranged spell. Maybe even a warlock dip for agonizing blast, but that might be against the spirit of the build.

Vogie
2019-04-04, 08:43 AM
Ok, don't tell me: you're working on the screen play? :smallbiggrin:

No, but it's a typical 5-man Band... using the King Arthur (2004) cast, you'd have

The Fast One - Kiera Knightly as Guinivere
The Ranged One - Mads Mikkelsen as Tristian
the Mean One - Ray Stevenson as Dagonet
The Young, Flashy One - Ioan Gruffudd as Lancelot
The One in Charge - Clive Owen as Arthur