PDA

View Full Version : Question about Galders Tower.

MThurston
2019-04-03, 10:45 AM
Where does the air come from? So If the air is poison and you make this tower does it have fresh air or does it use the air around it?

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-03, 12:59 PM
Where does the air come from? So If the air is poison and you make this tower does it have fresh air or does it use the air around it?

Tiny Hut is a level 1 spell that makes the internal area hospitable despite any outside influence. For anything more powerful than that, I don't see why it couldn't duplicate a single part of a level 1 spell.

JackPhoenix
2019-04-03, 01:08 PM
Tiny Hut is a level 1 spell that makes the internal area hospitable despite any outside influence. For anything more powerful than that, I don't see why it couldn't duplicate a single part of a level 1 spell.

Tiny Hut isn't level 1 spell.

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-03, 01:12 PM
Tiny Hut isn't level 1 spell.

Nope, you're right, I am an idiot.

Keravath
2019-04-03, 01:19 PM
Leomund's Tiny hut is actually level 3. However, the idea is the same.

Galder's tower is also level 3. It does say that the air is warm and dry no matter what the outside conditions so I would tend to say that the magic of the spell sustains the air inside but the spell doesn't say explicitly.

Galder's uses the phrasing "warm and dry" while Leomund's tiny hut says "comfortable and dry".

Bottom line is that it is magic. :)

The main differences are that Galder's lasts 24 hours and can be extended consecutively while Leomund's is only 8 hours. Leomund's is a ritual while Galder's tower appears not to be. Finally, anyone can enter Galder's tower while only designated creatures can enter a Leomund's Tiny Hut. Galder's tower is also actually smaller than Leomund's tiny hut. (less floor area but about the same volume).

Chronos
2019-04-03, 03:19 PM
Where is this from? I thought I knew of all of the non-core spells in 5e.

Keravath
2019-04-03, 03:33 PM
Where is this from? I thought I knew of all of the non-core spells in 5e.

Lost Laboratory of Kwalish

http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/lost-laboratory-kwalish

MThurston
2019-04-04, 06:21 AM
If people can come freely I would assume the tower is open to air. Windows and such. If you cast it once everyday for a year, then it stays permanently.

My assumption is that even though the air is warm and dry, it is not artificially made. Just takes the air around it and warms it up.

But is that enough to stop a poison gas from working. An example of that would be casting it next to a volcano with poison gas coming from it.

Chrizzt
2019-06-24, 03:02 PM
I would like to add another question concerning the tower:

I like the flavor of this spell, but the tower is (intentionally, I presume) quite "cramped" (10x10 feet for square tower). Are there any ways to "widen" it a little bit?

I have played 3.5 for some time, and I understand that in 5th edition (which I am playing now) they have severly limited the options to mess around with measures for spells (which I actually appreciate very much, because I was never very fond of metamagic stuff).

In this case however, I wonder if there is still a possibility? Even 15x15 would already be an immense improvement for my purposes.

DarkKnightJin
2019-06-24, 03:47 PM
I would like to add another question concerning the tower:

I like the flavor of this spell, but the tower is (intentionally, I presume) quite "cramped" (10x10 feet for square tower). Are there any ways to "widen" it a little bit?

I have played 3.5 for some time, and I understand that in 5th edition (which I am playing now) they have severly limited the options to mess around with measures for spells (which I actually appreciate very much, because I was never very fond of metamagic stuff).

In this case however, I wonder if there is still a possibility? Even 15x15 would already be an immense improvement for my purposes.

You could always ask your DM, but be prepared to be told 'no'. They might think the 10ftx10ft floorplan is plenty for a 3rd level spell.
Personally, I'd be okay with the 15x15ft floorplan, but that might require spending some time researching the spell and how to improve on it. To have a little RP behind just an upgraded version of the spell as is.

WotC had a reason to make it that size, so I'd be a little hesitant to just muck that up without playtesting. My guess is that they intended it to be a "Baby's First Mage Tower" type deal to bridge the gap between Rope Trick and stuff like Magnificent Mansion. Though one would expect that at 4th level instead of 3rd..

JackPhoenix
2019-06-25, 12:17 AM
You could always ask your DM, but be prepared to be told 'no'. They might think the 10ftx10ft floorplan is plenty for a 3rd level spell.
Personally, I'd be okay with the 15x15ft floorplan, but that might require spending some time researching the spell and how to improve on it. To have a little RP behind just an upgraded version of the spell as is.

WotC had a reason to make it that size, so I'd be a little hesitant to just muck that up without playtesting. My guess is that they intended it to be a "Baby's First Mage Tower" type deal to bridge the gap between Rope Trick and stuff like Magnificent Mansion. Though one would expect that at 4th level instead of 3rd..

I'd say the reason is "WotC has no sense of scale".

Haruki-kun
2019-06-25, 09:20 AM
The Winged Mod: Thread Necromancy.